The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"Any Given Moment"

Wyvern

Wyvern a.k.a Evan Litwack a.k.a D.J E. Literate proudly presents...

"Any. Given. Moment," a radio show to be aired online over the course of Spring 2004 at WRGW.

I realize this might not be the best time to make this announcement, with people just arriving back from their Winter breaks and the Pen in the midst of switching hosts, but I figured I had to make this information public sooner or later. I've mentioned and hinted at this little project once or twice over chat channels, but have otherwise kept it completely under wraps (no pun intended) until now.

Allow me to explain. This next semester at my University, I'm going to be hosting a radio show. The show, which I've entitled "Any. Given. Moment," will be aired online from the campus radio station on a weekly basis. I've classified the music I'm going to be playing as "thematic independent hip hop," and those of you who have been around for my last two compilation CDs should know the deal. In fact, if you liked the concept behind my previous Pen compilations, chances are that you're going to love "Any. Given. Moment." I'm planning to make the show a highly conceptual affair by tackling a different theme or topic each week, and basing all the music I play in the show around that topic.

So... what does this show have to do with the Mighty Pen?

Well, first of all, I would really really appreciate it if you guys could tune into this show and spread the word about it. It only lasts two hours each week, and it would mean a lot to me if you could listen in as an audience. As a D.J, I'm not only going to be representing my radio station WRGW, but also the Mighty Pen crew worldwide. You can expect me to dedicate tracks to members of the Pen and give Pen members shout-outs, which I hope will heighten peoples' interest a bit. I realize that not many people here are into my obscure genres of hip hop music (though you might gain a new appreciation for it through listening), but I hope that people will tune in regardless simply to see a Mighty Pen representative at work. ;-)

What? Why? Where? When? How?

What? - "Any. Given. Moment," a thematic independent hip hop radio show hosted by Evan Litwack a.k.a D.J E. Literate (a.k.a me).

Why? - Because D.J E. Literate is bored of typical hip hop radio shows and wants to try something different. The show is classified as a "Speciality" show, meaning that I can ignore top ten listings and have complete freedom of creativity in my musical choices. Don't be surprised if I end up mixing hip hop with other genres of music.

Where? - You can listen to "Any. Given. Moment." at www.gwradio.com, where there's an option to "Listen Live." There's also an option to view the station through "Live Cam," in which you can actually see me sitting around doing nothing (or dancing like an idiot) in real time as I make announcements and as the music plays. WRGW's radio streams unfortunatly currently require a RealMedia player in order to be listened to, which can be downloaded for free through links on the site. To those who adamantly refuse to so much as touch Realplayer, an MP3 method of streaming might currently be in the works, though there's no telling when it will be finished and incorporated.

When? - "Any. Given. Moment." will be aired every Friday from 10:00 P.M to 12:00 A.M U.S Eastern Standard Time. The "On-Air Schedule" for Spring 2004 at www.gwradio.com has yet to be posted, but should be up by some time next week. The radio station will start airing programs after Martin Luther King's Day (January 19th), meaning that the first airing of "Any. Given. Moment." will probably be January 26th. The exact date has yet to be confirmed, but it will definitely be later this month. Until then, I would encourage people to spread the word and make sure they have the media equipment required to play it.

How? - How can you help? The best method of helping me out is simply to tune into the radio show at www.gwradio.com, Fridays from 10:00 P.M to 12:00 A.M U.S EST when it starts being aired. The more people that tune in, the better! I encourage folks to spread word of the show to family, friends, other online communities, etc. There will also be the option of calling up the radio station while I'm on, in which you can actually chat with me in real time over the air (though it would have to be about the show or subject, not about other Pen things). I'll post the number you'll be able to call to do so as soon as I get it.

More exact information and dates will be posted in this thread as the month progresses, but I hope this gives people a general overview and an idea of how it will work. I realize there's quite a bit of information to digest in this post... If you read over it carefully, consider yourself due for a shout out! ;-) I hope that people take interest, so we can add "Any. Given. Moment." to the ever-expanding list of community projects here at the Pen.

Thanks for reading!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wyvie,

I can't wait! Is there going to be any kind of archive or recorded sessions if we want to catch the show, but can't make it some week or another? 7-9pm, PST is prime partying time for people who have a better social life than I do, after all. ;)

Yay! Three Huzzahs for DJ E.Literate!

~Yui ^_^

Wy-I think this sounds so fun-but I have a question.

If you are doing this on Fridays-and you are starting after MLK on the 19th-wouldn't your first broadcast be the 23rd rather than the 26th which is Monday.

:rolleyes: I get so confused so easily!

Thanks to all who have posted and shown interest, and apologies for the lateness of this update. It took a bit longer than expected for the radio station to organize all of the show information, hence the rather lengthy wait.

The on-air schedule for Spring 2004 has now been posted at http://www.gwradio.com, and you can check it out to see what day and time my show is aired and read the little profile I wrote for it if you'd like. :)

"Any. Given. Moment" debutes January 23rd, which is this Friday. It can be streamed live from http://www.gwradio.com through the "Listen Live" option, from the times of 10:00 P.M to 12:00 A.M U.S Eastern Standard Time. Once again, Realplayer is currently required in order to listen to the show, though we're hoping to install another method of streaming come late February. This show will be on every Friday from this point onward, so if you happen to miss one, tune into another! Every listener from the Pen is thoroughly appreciated. :)

The call-in number for the station is (202) 994-9749. If you'd like to chat with me over the air, you'll need to keep it clean (i.e no cursing) and radio related, otherwise I'll be forced to disconnect you. If anyone is thinking of calling, you can also mail me in advance that you'll be phoning in if you'd like, as I could then better prepare something to discuss. Surprise callers are appreciated as well, though. :)

There is also a good chance that there will be a few very special guests on my show at certain occasions, which I think will further intrigue Pen people to listen in. Just keep your ears and your eyes peeled, and be sure to tune in as much as possible. ;-)

For those who live far away from the East Coast and are wondering about time differences, time zones are listed on this site: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

In terms of archived audio sessions: it is possible to record the radio sessions to mini-disc, though I probably won't be doing it much due to my lack of knowledge on the workings of mini-discs as well as my lack of funds. Still, should a particularly special show arise, I'll be certain to record it never the less.

Note that my first show might not be quite as professional as my other shows due to this being my first time working with D.J equipment, though I've been trained in how to work everything and it should be well worth your 2 hours regardless. This first episode of "Any. Given. Moment." is subtitled "The Overview," and deals with the theme of teamwork. The focus is going to be placed on giving the listener a broad overview of what to expect from the show by playing only tracks where three or more M.Cs exchange verses. The topic of teamwork as an element of hip hop and of music, as well as of historical importance, will be touched upon and discussed over the course of the show. The Pen members most likely to get dedications in this episode are those with multiple RPing personas that work as a team, though I might be too busy figuring out how to run everything smoothly to get to doing that. Hopefully, I will however... ;-)

The abbreviated version, in pointer format:

"Any. Given. Moment."

Fridays, 10:00 P.M - 12:00 A.M U.S EST

http://www.gwradio.com

(202) 994-9749

Thanks once again to everyone who's shown interest and plans to tune in. Your support is more than a simple reminder that people will be listening, it's an inspiration. :)

"... whisperings of a nameless evil grew in the east..."

And the whisperings lead to an idea...

Lord help us all! Dashes off to think, which is very hard for him...

Congrats, Wyvie, and I hope that it all works out... and I'll try to tune in as often as possible!

Wyvie! I'm so excited for you! Brilliant idea and I only have high hopes of your enjoyment and success!!

I will certainly tune in on the fridays that I can! 10pm est is 7pm PST and that's right during trying to get the kids ready for bed etc. However, I'll tune in as often as I'm able. I'd love to support you!

I'm out for the night this friday, so I'll try to listen next Friday!

Good luck!!

~Salinye :fairy:

The first showing of "Any. Given. Moment," subtitled "The Overview," will be aired tonight in a few hours if all goes according to plan and I manage to work the equipment right.

Also, there's another convenient internet based method of supporting the show. If you'd like, you can send comments via AOL Instant Messanger by messaging RGWradio. I can actually read the comments while I'm in the studio D.Jing, since there's a computer there that's always connected to that AIM account.

In terms of recording developments, Degenero Angelus said that he might be able to record the shows in MP3 format. I greatly appreciate his generosity in offering to do so, and would suggest contacting him about it if you have questions. No promises, since he's only mentioned that he should be able to, but one can always hope... ;-)

Finally, the production studio camera doesn't seem to be working at the moment (at least not on my computer), which means that for now you won't be able to see me at work from a camera. I'm certain that WRGW will fix this shortly, though...

Please listen in and support!

*Appy's cheek twitches while she's allowing realplayer to touch her harddrive*

I be tuning in, actually slept a bit earlier to be able to stay up :woot:

*fidgets... realplayer almost there for install... aaaaaah*

over the years i've gotten probably a dozen different errors with Real, but i don't recall that being one of them. I do, routinely, have to install it three times to get it to work right, though. That's consistent across the various computers i install stuff on. <_>

Aaargh!

Stomps pouts upset steam-rising-from-ears

Ended up going in and helping my wife stock her yogurt account, and so missed the whole thing.

Ah well, family before pleasure last time I check my priority lists.

Did anyone get a recording????

-The person behind Peredhil