The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"Any Given Moment"

Wyvern

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The links are not actually broken, Tamaranis, it's just that the WRGW site has been acting somewhat erratic lately and has been down quite a bit. I think that this prevented a lot of people from listening in this evening, which is too bad since I actually had a very good show. Thanks goes out to everyone who tried to tune in... Hopefully, the site will be more stable come the time for my show next week.

Site and internet streaming problems aside, the "Just Chill" episode of "Any Given Moment" went very smoothly from beginning to end. I maintained a very mellow and relaxing vibe throughout the show, and gave plenty of shout outs and dedications to the Mighty Pen crew. In this episode, a track was dedicated to Cerulean in the form of "Arabian Nights" (how many remember the "Chronicles of Terra" compilation?), Vlad was given a shout out for IMing me, and a dedication went out to Alaeha/Ayshela/Salinye/Yui through the Mestizo track "Miss Carried Fortune." I really enjoyed myself over the course of the show, and am looking forward to DJing again next week.

The next episode of "Any Given Moment" is tentatively going to be themed around a hip hop super crew known as The Orphanage, which consists of MCs Slug, Aesop Rock, Eyedea, Blueprint, and Illogic. Solo material and collaborations between the various Orphanage artists will be touched upon, as well as the few tracks they've released as a collective group. Each of the MCs in this crew is incredible in their own right, so be sure to tune in on Friday!

[Edit 9/12/04: Editted to add the theme of this weeks show]

The Orphanage episode of "Any Given Moment" went pretty well this evening, though I think that I ultimately liked the vibe that I set in last weeks episode a bit better. Never the less, it streamed without any site difficulties and many excellent tracks by members of the Orphanage were touched upon, including a few great segments of a freestyle they did on the "To the Break of Dawn" show in Minneapolis. The Pen was shouted out, as usual, and Gyrfalcon, Valdar, Zadown, and Xaious were specifically given props amongst others. Thanks to everyone who took the time to tune in.

The next episode of "Any Given Moment" will be subtitled "Speechless," and will be focussed on instrumental hip hop. Those of you who dislike rapping will be pleased to hear that there will be no hip hop vocals on this show, only well-composed music from established hip hop producers. The show will air on Friday, September 24th, and should appeal to hip hop fans and hip hop haters alike. Be sure to tune in if possible!

On another note: the position for recording the shows is still open to anyone who might be interested in doing it, since nobody is recording the shows currently. Would anyone be up to looking into doing this? I know that there are several Pen members who wish to hear the show but are unable to tune in at its airing time, so any help with recording it would be greatly appreciated by a number of Pen members. :)

The "Speechless" episode of "Any Given Moment" went very well this evening, as I felt that the mix of instrumental hip hop worked very well over the course of its two hour duration. Several excellent hip hop producers were touched upon, in addition to electronica heavyweights such as Prefuse 73 and Tortoise and even a bit of jazz with Medeski, Martin and Wood. The only visible error on the show was a small technical difficulty near the end of the second hour, which was the first technical difficulty of the semester. Fortunatly, it was quickly resolved.

As usual, the Mighty Pen was shouted out and given props during the show. In addition to general praises, Tamaranis and Katzaniel were shouted out for tuning in and IMing me on AOL, and tracks were dedicated to Yui and Aegon (Controler 7's "Shades of a Former You" from the Bully Records "Lunch Money Singles" compilation) as well as to Salinye (Tortoise's upbeat anthem "C.T.A"). Thanks once again to everyone who tuned in and supported the show! :)

The theme for next week has yet to be decided, but will be announced at some point next week. I would still be very grateful if someone would be willing to take up the task of recording the shows and archiving them as MP3s, since there are people that can't listen in but would really like to hear them. Be sure to PM me if you'd be willing to do it... anyone willing to take up the task will definitely be rewarded by yours truly. ;-)

Just to give people a heads up: the next episode of "Any Given Moment" will be aired tommorow (Friday, 10/1/04) at the same time and place as always. This weeks show is subtitled "Wanna Battle," and is based completely around battle raps and vicious punchlines. Expect many tracks of brutal and hilarious disses, as well as a bit of dope hip hop from the current top ten indie radio releases.

In other radio news, I'm happy to announce that the station finally has a production studio webcam up, which means that you can actually watch me while I'm hosting the show if you'd like. :) Granted, I usually don't do that much in terms of physical activities while hosting, though I do break out into dances every now and then in spite of myself... ;-)

Thanks to everyone who's planning on tuning in and supporting!

Thank you! Now I should be able to remember until this evening. (PS, if you knew me in RL, you wouldn't be at all insulted by the fact that I can't remember your show - please understand that this is normal for me). And this theme sounds pretty funky!

Also Wyv, what exactly is involved in taping the show? Is it possible to do it with a regular media player? One that's downloadable free somewhere? I'm probably not the only one who would be willing to tape it if they only knew how...

The "Wanna Battle" episode of "Any Given Moment" went well this evening, though I occasionally stumbled with my comments and had a bit of difficulty inserting eight tracks from the top ten indie hip hop releases into the theme of my show. Never the less, a number of excellent hip hop battle tracks were touched upon, and the Mighty Pen was represented as usual. Jonathan Wolf, Katzaniel, Tamaranis, and Orlan all got shout-outs, a track was dedicated to the character of Myth ("So Cold," heartless and murderous hip hop), and Peredhil was given much love for his birthday. I'm also happy to say that the show was recorded and transfered into MP3 format, courteousy of Jonathan Wolf. If you missed the show and would like to check it out, you can listen to it here:

http://apheliondesign.net/anygiven/agm01.mp3

Thank you once again for recording the show, Jonathan! :) I really appreciate it, and hope that other Pen members will benefit from it.

The next episode of "Any Given Moment" is subtitled "Generation Lex," and will be aired Friday 10/8/04 (today) at the same time and place as always. The show will be based on my current favorite record label, Lex Records, which is a London-based "hip hop" label that experiments with all kinds of alternative music. Last year, Lex released my favorite album of 2003, Non-Prophets' "Hope," as well as one of my runners up of the year, DM & Jemini's "Ghetto Pop Life" (which also had my favorite production of 2003). They've continued to put out several excellent CDs in 2004, and are incredibly diverse in their consistancy. Lex's foundation is in alternative hip hop, but they've never limited themselves to a single genre of music and have released everything from avantguard electronica albums to lo-fi folk pop records, each of them excellent and unique in their own way. Even the rap records they've released have been incredibly diverse, ranging from experimental M.Cing to grooving party records filled with club bangers. This is bound to be some of the most innovative and progressive music you hear on my show, as well as some of the most diverse, so I hope that some people will consider tuning in. :)

The "Generation Lex" episode of "Any Given Moment" went very well this evening, though around halfway through the show I turned the microphone and DJing over to a friend of mine who wanted to do an impromptu interview with PMD. The interview and freestyle session that ensued didn't really fit in with the vibe of my show and lasted a pretty long time, but it was cool to get some live performances in the studio. I'm very happy with how this show turned out overall, however, and would recommend it as a good example of "Any Given Moment". Thanks to Jonathan Wolfe (J-Wolfe!) you can listen to the show in full in MP3 format:

http://apheliondesign.net/anygiven/agm02.mp3

Finnius was shouted out, as were Jonathan Wolfe, Ayshela, Valdar, and Izabella at his request. Tracks were also dedicated to Yui and Aegon (Subtle's "I *Heart* L.A") and Salinye (Subtle's "Eyewash"), and the Mighty Pen was given many praises over the course of the show. Check it out if you get a chance, and skip over the interview if you're not feeling it.

Just to drop a quick (though somewhat latework) reminder: "Any Given Moment" will be aired this evening at the same time and place as always. This episode is subtitled "Wild Card," and will be based on music that I've never heard before. The show will likely lack the flow of some of my other shows since there'll be no quality control or prior knowledge of the music, but to make up for it I'll be reviewing the new CDs and songs on the spot over the air. I encourage people to tune in and call or AIM me so we can discuss the quality of various tracks. :-) Note also that this show will not be recorded as an MP3, so try to tune in if ya can!

Peace,

Wyv-

I haven't had too much time to post things for the last few days due to a hectic workload, but I just wanted to drop a very quick note to tell people that "Any Given Moment" will be airing at the same time as usual on 10/22/04. With Halloween rapidly approaching, I've decided to make the theme of this week "evil" hip hop, so expect plenty of dark and frightening vibes if you plan on tuning in. This show will also not be recorded, so be sure to check it out if you can... particularly if your Pen character is a creature of the night, or is evil in some way. You can also feel free to share any scary stories you might have with me over the air by calling in at (202) 994-9749, though I can't promise that I'll be able to get the stations new telephone hybrid working... I'll try my best, regardless!

For those of you waiting for responses from me in threads or personal messages, I should be able to get back to writing things tommorow. Apologies for my erratic schedule/post, and thanks in advance if you plan on tuning in!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to catch the show tonight... although I'll do my best to do so. I'm sure you already have a list planned, but if I could be so bold as to make a request/suggestion, it'd be Nightlight by Aesop Rock ^.^

Of course, I don't know if that fits. In any case, have a fun show, hopefully I'll be able to check it out ^.^

{Edit: Katz or Tam, what time is the show in *our* time? I figured it out a couple weeks ago, but I lost it. I'm the most absent-minded of all! Mwuahahha! ...ahem...}

:tree:

Edited by The Big Pointy One

Erm... I figured it out, too, but I'm not sure if they've had that nasty time-change thing or not (wouldn't be so nasty if it happened everywhere :rolleyes:). So, I think it's 8:00-10:00. According to my Palm Pilot, two weeks and it'll be back to its old 9:00-11:00. For any of you who live in the states: Is that right? Time-change next Sunday?

That's what I thought, too... so I guess I'll be missing it tonight... accursed work. Well, eventually, I'll be doing early morning shifts, so I won't have to worry about it ^.^

Oh, and I downloaded the newest show last night, it's some good stuff, Wyv ^.^ That interview sounded kind of chaotic, though... ^.^' Heh, anyways, have fun tonight!

:tree:

Thank you, Mira and YanYanGanaffi, for tuning into the last show and providing some comments on it. It's much appreciated, and you two will be getting some shout outs on my next show. :) Thanks also goes out to Tamaranis, Stick, Katzaniel, and anyone else who tried to tune in but had scheduling conflicts. It seems that in light of my tightly knit schedule, I forgot to note some descriptions of my last two shows, so here are some very brief run downs of them:

"Any Given Moment" - "Wild Card," which aired 10/15/04, went surprisingly well. I made a list of potential CDs that I'd never heard before that looked interesting beforehand, and it turned out that many of them were very good. The first hour and fourty minutes of the show was all quality, though in the last twenty minutes I began playing some random things that ended up being trash. I even decided to host two random minisets on this show, one which was based on music that I hadn't heard before from the Oldominion collective out of Seattle, and one that was based on Christian hip hop that I hadn't heard before (and which surprised me by how good some of it was!). The Pen got dedications as usual, as the entire Christian hip hop set was dedicated to Peredhil, and many other people were shouted out for listening in.

"Any Given Moment" - "Evil Literate," which aired last week, also went well. I played a set of sinister Halloween-influenced hip hop, which included a large set on songs based around monsters. Tamaranis, Vlad, Black, Canid, and the Dreamer were shouted out amongst others, and got dedications. Thanks to everyone who tuned in.

This evening (10/29/04), I'll be doing a set of "Any Given Moment" entitled "Vocal Experimentation," which will revolve around some of the truly innovative moments of experimenting with vocal deliveries in hip hop. Expect a wide range of styles, from speedy thousand-syllable per second rapping to types of vocals that tread the fine line between rapping and singing. It should be a very interesting show, so be sure to tune in if you can! ^_^

One final point: my show after the one this evening, which will be airing on Friday, November 5th, is going to be a show based around positive, upbeat, happy hip hop where everyone has fun. I've actually been forming the blueprints for this show since last semester, and it will definitely be one of my best mixes of music to date. Due to the vibrant, upbeat energy on the show, I'd like to look into getting a couple of people from the Pen to call in and give shout outs and praises to other pen members. I'm aiming for three callers, so if anyone might be interested in doing this on November 5th, please PM me and give me a heads up saying that you'd like to. I'll be very appreciative of anyone who's willing to participate in this, and might even throw in a mix CD or two as a reward for doing it... ;-) Holla!

I'll have to see as to when I'll be able to listen. I go to work at round 4 in the morning, so tuning in on a work night isn't possible. I do tune in on my off days, Wednesday being a pretty constant one. I'm glad you're putting on a show with more up beat hip-hop. I'm not much for rap, but I'd be willing to listen to songs that don't involve drive by's and lots of cursing. Just my two pennies....

Yan Yan

YanYan - thanks very much for showing so much interest. Unfortunatly, "Any Given Moment" is only aired on Fridays from 10 PM - 12 AM, so your Wednsday solution won't work. Hopefully more shows will be recorded in MP3 format, so you can listen to them then if you're unavailable on Fridays. ^_^

The "Vocal Experimentation" episode of "Any Given Moment" that occured last week went very well, particularly in a segment I did on hyper-speed rapping around the middle of the show. The Pen was given props as usual.

Just to give people a reminder: "Any Given Moment" - "Positive Balance," my show based on super upbeat happy hip hop, will air tonight (11/5/04) at 10 PM - 12 AM US EST. This is sure to be one of my best shows ever and it'll put you in a very good mood, so be sure to tune in if you can! Oh, and did I mention that a few Pen members will probably be calling in to participate in the fun? jjjyyyeah boyeee!