The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"Any Given Moment"

Wyvern

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am MAD.

I messed up on recording the show. I failed to change audio streams beforehand, and ended up recording the same 1.25 minute music clip multiple times :/. I have no recording of the show.

Quite furious at the moment,

Akallabeth.

Edit: found out the reason that the show was not recorded was not the MP3 stream recorder. It was me.

Edited by Akallabeth

Akallabeth: thank you very much for trying to record the show, it means a lot to me. :) Whether or not you successfully recorded it, the supportive thought is still there and I greatly appreciate it. For the record: I also tried to record the show by way of minidisc recorder in the studio, but I set it up completely wrong and didn't manage to record it either. There's no need to feel so bummed out about it, and I hope you realize that your efforts are greatly appreciated regardless. :) Thank you for calling into the show as well, your shout outs were awesome!

The "Pen Positive" show of "Any Given Moment" went well this evening, as Zariah guested in studio as promised along with two aspiring WRGW D.Js I know: Pete and Zane. One thing that made me happy was that the guest caller goal for the evening was met, as no fewer than five pennites called into the show. Alaeha (who gave shouts to Peredhil and Orlan amongst other things), reverie (who helped come up with Zariah's D.J nick, D.J Z.U.J... though I think I still like D.J Ah more!), YanYanGanaffi (a sentence or two got through... I apologize again for the hybrid not picking up your call well), Akallabeth (props for the shouts and all the love), and Peredhil (definitely a pleasant surprise, great to hear from you) all called in and chatted over the air over the course of the show. Peace goes out to Katzaniel, Mira, and reverie for staying in touch with me over AIM during the show and coordinating things. My only regret is that I didn't manage to get Zariah, Pete, and Zane quite as hyped and energetic as I wanted, though I thoroughly enjoyed the upbeat music that I strung throughout the show. We discussed several positive things as a group over the air, including supportive families, the notion of home being where the heart is, and of course many, many, many dedications and shout outs (far too many to list here). Amongst other things, Ayshela was given a dedication track and the Wilson and Bamblette families were given mad props. The funniest moment of the evening was when other D.Js that happened to be around tried to answer the many phone calls that scattered the evening, only to become confused when the callers asked for "Wyvern." ;-)

Overall, it was a lot fun, and I hope it was enjoyable despite a few awkward moments and slip-ups. Thanks to everyone who tuned in and supported it, here's hoping it lived up to most of the hype!

Just to give a small heads up: "Any Given Moment" will be on at its usual this week, Thursday (4/21/05) from 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM US EST. Last week's successful show revisited the unbeatable theme of positivity, and this week's show will be revisiting the theme of chill hip hop, just in time for the switch to warm weather in Washington D.C. Plenty of relaxing Summer jams to sip lemonade and sunbath to... I'll be having four guests on the show as well, though no pennites this time unfortunatly, only folks I know from WRGW. Still, I'll be giving shout outs as usual and it should be a very fun and moody listen. ^_^

There's a chance that next week (4/28/05) I might reel in some more D.C area Pen people to participate on the "Any Given Moment." Stay tuned.

A somewhat belated notice: this Thursday (4/28/05) will be the last episode of "Any Given Moment" in this semester, and will feature none other than the Mighty Pen's own reverie live in-studio for the whole show! :-) The theme of the evening will be posse cuts (i.e tracks filled with entire line-ups of M.Cs) and since reverie will be around you can bet that we'll be chatting about "The Mighty Pen Posse" quite a bit. Same place, same time... be sure to tune in if you can, and feel free to give us a ring!

• 1 month later...

First of all, an explanation for the lack of an overview for the reverie show in this thread... Recordings were actually made of this show (by Akallabeth, thanks a bunch again! :)) and of the "chill" show before that one (by some of my friends outside the Pen). Unfortunatly, while the recordings are technically available, I haven't been able to listen to them yet or archive them due to problems in transfering and opening them. I had hoped to provide some audio with the overview, but will go with a simple summary for now:

The "posse cut" show that reverie guested on (4/28/05) went extremely well. :) We both had a great time in the studio, and shouted out a countless number of pennites (simply too many to recall and list). In addition to generally giving Pen members props over the course of two hours, we also did some impromptu roleplaying that turned out great. During one song interval inbetween two spacey sci-fi posse cuts, we were astronauts floating in space... during another, we were Russian spies discussing the K.G.B (followed up by a posse track of the same name). The music was also great as usual. ;-) Hopefully, one day, we'll manage to get the show up in some listenable format for folks to listen to. Keep your fingers crossed.

Another announcement: "Any Given Moment" will be airing throughout the month of June. :) It will only be a few shows given the limited time frame, but it will be available for listening on Fridays from 8:00 PM to 10:00 PM US EST. The first June show will air on Friday the 10th, and will most likely feature the Pen's very own Happybuddha guesting live in-studio for the whole show. ;-) A theme has yet to be decided, but will be announced later this week. Pen people stand up!

Just to give a late heads up to listeners: the 6/10/05 episode of "Any Given Moment" was unfortunatly preempted for a sports game and won't be airing. :-( Things should be good to go for the 6/17/05 episode airing next week, though, and Happybuddha should once again be able to guest in-studio then. For themes, I'm deciding between an "Angster Rap" guitar-sample showcase, a "Copped Suey" oriented choppy beat episode, or coverage of the Los Angeles hip hop scene. Will reach a decision and give more info next week when the date of the show approaches. Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.

Tune in on Friday evening (6/17/05) from 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM US EDT (Eastern Daylight Savings Time, thanks for the heads up Katz!) to catch special guest Happybuddha and myself do our little take on "Angster Rap." Toss the banjos and the fairy-design lutes into the nearest disposal outlet, as this show will feature few delicate melodies. Instead, think along the lines of "heavy guitar distortion/death metal noise" and you'll get the general idea. Check out the webcams and you might even catch us headbanging and throwing up our little devil hand signals. Mosh pit, anyone?

In "Slayer" voice:

"ANNNNYYYYY GIIIVVVEEENNNN MMOOOMMMMMENT!!!" *guitar stab, followed by artistic kerosene and lighter statement*

(That's at http://www.gwradio.com by the way, for those caught sleeping.)

We'll be on in approximately 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I forgot my CD binder at home, absent-minded as I am, so the theme for the evening is cancelled. :-( Expect the theme to occur next week (the 24th). Happybuddha will still be guesting on this show, regardless of the random mix. :-)

Thanks to everyone who tuned into the show last Friday, I was very surprised and pleased by the number of Pen people that tuned in! :-) You guys are the best. Happybuddha and I had a great time throwing on random songs and ranting about food and Pen stuff over the air. Plenty of random sound effects and Pen shout outs were used. I apologize for the lack of a cohesive theme, and promise that I'll remember to bring my angsty punk rock hop selection next time. Here are links to a few pictures that were taken over webcam by Katzaniel and Panther (thanks you two!):

Wyvern attempting to make an innocent puppydog expression and failing:

http://www.jamie-quinn.com/imageness/Wyvern.bmp

Wyvern pretending to feel relaxed:

http://members.shaw.ca/analogpanther/images/Wyvern.JPG

Happybuddha having a good time:

http://www.jamie-quinn.com/imageness/HappyBuddha.bmp

Mohawk-sporting death metal dudes and lighter-rocking leather goth chicks,

I would add "please" before saying "tune into 'Any Given Moment' this Friday (6/24/05), 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM EDT," but I don't think it's part of this show's vocabulary. I'm going to be keeping it "Angster" this evening, after all. That means plenty of Trent Reznor facial expressions and terms like "headbang," "mosh" and "girlfriend" (rock music's all about the breakup songs, right?). Happybuddha will unfortunately be absent from this episode, as he'll be too busy drinking hard liquor and getting into trendy bar brawls to attend. I guess solo is more grunged out anyway, but I highly recommend people to call in so I can actually pretend that I know what I'm talking about when it comes to rock music. That's (202) 994-9749. Heck, recommend me some recent rock and they might even have it in the station shelves. I'll probably post something shortly before the show starts, just because I'm so anti-establishment that it hurts.

This is the part of the post where I would say "thanks." Instead, I will end it with a "Get Yo Punk @$$ Up!"

Sincerely,

E. Literate

EDIT: Unfortunately, it seems that I've just gotten a late notice that my show's been preempted this week for a Baysox sports game, so forget about the add you just read above. >_

"Any Given Moment" - "Angster Rap" advertisement, take three. This show has been voted "most delayed radio theme in the entire history of the world ever" by emo kids who don't even care about angsty punk rock music. It's time to experience the sounds of Angster Rap, to bust your ear drums over blaring distorted guitar riffs, and to see E. Literate's blazin new haircut over webcam. No, the haircut is not ideal for headbanging, and yes, he does refer to himself in third person at times. Happybuddha will not be available for the show as he's busy doing time in the state penitentiary for those bar brawls that he got into last week. Don't worry, he's started an illegal smuggling ring there and is still keeping it Angster to the core, even when facing other prison mates. Non-Pen affiliate D.J Debit Card may be dropping by to purchase guitars to smash things with, mainly the webcams if anyone starts making fun of E. Literate's haircut. We're also giving away free angst to callers, so be sure to call in at (202) 994-9749 to talk about rock music so we can scream at you. Thanks, and have a nice day.

"Any Given Moment" - "Angster Rap"

Friday, July 1rst

8:00 PM - 10:00 PM EDT

http://www.gwradio.com

Call-in: (202) 994-9749

AIM: RGWradio

So, the much-advertised "Angster Rap" episode of "Any Given Moment" finally went off without a hitch last night. Happybuddha actually managed to show up to cohost the show, and it went very well. Plenty of heavy rock-oriented hip hop tracks were played, plenty of Pen shout outs were given, and a bit of impromptu roleplaying took place during interludes as well. ;-) We even finished the episode up by playing a recent Nine Inch Nails track. I managed to record most of the show to minidisc, but don't have any equipment/idea on how to convert the music from minidisc to MP3 or CD. If anyone on the Pen knows how to use minidiscs and is willing to take a shot at converting one to MP3, I'll gladly send it to you. Otherwise, I'll try to get the production department at WRGW to do it at some point in the Fall semester.

July 8th will be the last airing of "Any Given Moment" during the Summer, and I'm still considering which theme to do for it. There's always a chance that it'll get cancelled, but I'm hoping that sports games have been wrapped up for the Summer. I'll update this thread later in the week with more info on the show.

Thanks for the support!