The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"Any Given Moment"

Wyvern

To give a quick update: "Any Given Moment" is preempted for a sports game this week and won't be airing. This concludes the programming of "Any Given Moment" this Summer. A big thank you goes out to all of the Pen people who listened in, as well as all of the guests that dropped by in June. "Any Given Moment" will (rather unfortunatly) be back in the Fall semester, starting in September, so stay tuned. I'll update this thread again a week before it's scheduled to come back on.

Thanks again,

E Lit-

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tired of hip hop crowding the college radio airwaves? Tired of E. Literate giving big ups to the Mighty Pen incessently? Tired of radio threads getting bumped to the top of the Cabaret Room forums? Well, you're straight out of luck. "Any Given Moment" is back for one last semester, with a new day and time:

"Any Given Moment"

Fridays, 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM US EST

Stream online at http://www.gwradio.com

Call-in: (202) 994-9749

AIM: RGWradio

Given that this is the "semester that never should have happened," I'll do my best to make sure that "Any Given Moment" goes out with a bang. The show begins again this Friday (9/9/05), and will continue airing every Friday until mid-December. I already have several interesting themes planned out, and the tentative theme of this week's episode is a breakdown of Los Angeles' booming hip hop scene (what can I say? I'm still recovering from good times this Summer ;-)) As usual, be expecting plenty of Pen shout outs and general foolishness from me. Don't be afraid to call in to chat over the air, or IM me with comments or requests. You can also catch me over webcam if you feel so inclined.

9/9/05 - "Any Given Moment" - "L.A Styles Back." Whu-whut... Bay area, represent represent. Irvine stand up! ;-)

P.S: WRGW got the new Chicharones album in, and boy is it some spicey hot bacon. You heard it here first... Listen and find out.

• 2 weeks later...

The "L.A Style's Back" show I hosted last Friday went well, and included everything from the Shapeshifters to 2Pac. Shout outs were given to pen people who were listening in, as well as to our resident L.A pennites (you know who you are :-)) and to the Mighty Pen as a whole. I also had a chance to school several first year D.Js on how to work the station boards over the course of the show, and it was a lotta fun overall.

This week, I'll be delving into the world of "Glitch Hop." Please remain calm: the sounds coming from your speakers are not indicative of a hardware malfunction. More bleeps and bloops than Road Runner with a speech impediment. A little IDM, a little hip hop, and a whole lot of the two intertwined... not to mention even more arrogant psychobabble from yours truly. Will I plug my nose up to sound like an android? Maybe.

Tune into "Any Given Moment's" take on "Glitch Hop" this Friday (9/16/05), same place and time.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the rather late update in this thread. I've had a few things brewing on the radio front and wanted to wait until I decided on some more themes before updating. It feels less like spamming this way, at least. ;-)

My show two weeks ago on "Glitch Hop" ranked as probably the most experimental show that I've done, and I thought it turned out very well. I got a lot of mixed reactions from people on #thepen channel when I was playing it, which means it fufilled its purpose in striking some controversy. Knight seemed to be enjoying the vibes, which must be a good sign since he usually hates hip hop stuff. ;-) The Pen and various Pen listeners were shouted out as usual, and the host of the show after mine was impressed with the songs that I closed out with. Overall, it was good stuff.

My show last week, which I didn't bother mentioning in this thread since it wasn't my most challenging theme, was entitled "Quannumatic" and was based on the Quannum hip hop collective from San Francisco, California. Quannum consists of Blackalicious (a favorite amongst pennites on "The Chronicles of Terra" compilation, if I recall), D.J Shadow, Latyrx, Maroons, Lyrics Born, Apsci, General Elektriks, and many more. The show went quite smoothly, and I played several tracks from a station promo of Blackalicious' new album "The Craft" a few days before the album came out. The real kicker of this show, though, is that the kind people at Quannum decided to record the show for me after I mentioned it to them. In fact, they not only recorded the show, but also gave me props in the 9/25/05 news entry on one of their main websites (http://www.solesides.com) and provided two MP3 clips of me shouting people out. The really funny part about this is that the second clip features shout outs to Appy, Sweetcherrie, and the Mighty Pen crew! Go check it out. I guess the Pen must be famous amongst bay area hip hop heads now. ;-)

This week, I'm tagging my show "Adrenaline Rush" and am basing it on the speediest, most complex multi-syllabic deliveries imaginable. In other words: fastrapfastrapfastrapfastrap! I just might have to break out the micromachines guy voice in my announcements. Be sure to tune in if you're on a sugar high: 9/30/05, same place same time.

Next week, I'm considering doing my second romantic hip hop show, which will be entitled "Eros Literate" and which should go a lot better than my first one several semesters ago (which was one of my first shows, if I'm not mistaken). I'm gonna try to make this show very worthy of checking out, and would like to try to get some Pen ladies to call in over the course of the evening if possible. I will be offering CD/candy prizes to any Pen gals who choose to call in to discuss the question of the evening, which I'll announce later. I will also be dressing up in a formal tux-style suit for this show, for you webcam oglers. ;-) 10/7/05 would be the date of this show if it were to occur next week, but I'm labeling it as "tentative" for the moment as I'd like to see if any Pen gals might be available then before I cement it. Please drop me a PM if you're a lady that might be interested in phoning in on that day, any help is greatly appreciated! ^_^ If nobody shows interest in the next week or so, I'll probably postpone this show to a later date. Oh, and did I mention that I'll be recording this one to audio CDR with the station's equipment? ;-)

That's all for now, thanks for reading/listening!

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update to this thread: my show last week was cancelled due to a famous radio guest speaker hogging the airwaves during my regularly scheduled time slot. For this reason, the "Adrenaline Rush" show has been rescheduled to this week, and will be airing this evening at the regular place and time (http://www.gwradio.com , 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM US EST). Pleasecheckitoutifyoureintospeedydeliveriesandfastrappingoverwickedfreshbeats

withplentyofpenshouts.

Next week (10/14/05), I'll probably be doing a show on the talented Galapagos4 collective from Chicago, since they'll be passing through Washington D.C on the 12th. I've reschedules the "Eros Literate" show to the week after that (10/21/05), and there are a couple of people who have expressed interest in it so far. More information/plugging about that show when the date approaches.

Thanks for listening! ^_^

• 3 weeks later...

I blame the lack of recent updates in this thread on a combination of cancelled shows and subjects that probably wouldn't interest pennites. I'm planning to incorporate more Pen involvement and intriguing subjects in upcoming shows, so stay tuned!

My "Adrenaline Rush" show on speed rap that aired a few weeks back went O.K I guess, but no better than that. I think those who warned me and expressed fear at the concept of two hours of speed rapping were in the right, as the concept kind of wore thin after the first hour or so. Oh well, can't win'em all... I still had fun talking in a fast voice for the entire evening, and gave Pen shouts that turned into tongue-twisters. ;-)

The week after that, my show was cancelled for some sort of "Colonial Invasion" basketball-type thing, so the Galapagos4 show got pushed back to last week. This show actually went surprisingly well, and I thought the mix turned out excellent. Nothing too interesting to report in terms of what I talked about, though... I think I was getting too into the mix and hardly spoke at all over the course of the show, except to give props to Galapagos4 and the Mighty Pen. I forgot to shout out Zool when playing Denizen Kane and Mestizo tracks, d'oh! >_

This week, I'm planning to run a second "Speechless" mix consisting of all quiet, downtempo stuff without vocals. It should have a more cohesive sound than the "Speechless" show I did a few semesters ago, simply because a huge amount of great downtempo instrumental stuff has come out since then. I'll try to dedicate a portion of the show to a certain pennite celebration of union that occured this weekend (which I'll leave the culprits to mention at their own will, ahem), and there's also a possibility that the Outerlimitz, a talented hip hop group out of Chicago, might call in for an interview. This show also won't be too taxing on the ears, so flip it on and play it in the background while doing your work. ^_^

Next week, I'm planning to execute my much-delayed "Eros Literate" show in full. I think the mix and overall presentation of this show will be some of my best ever, but to top my other shows, I'll need participation from some of you Pen gals out there who have a minute to spare. I'd like to get a few people to call in to answer the longstanding question that forever haunts us males: "What qualities do you find attractive in a guy?" You can answer in any way you see fit, and can feel free to chat beyond that, read a poem, or ask me a question or two. Friday, 11/4/05 is the official air date unless my show happens to get cancelled, which is extremely unlikely at this point. If you're a Pen gal that might be available to call in and chat on that day and are interested, shoot me a PM. Oh, and I'll still be dressing formally for this, for you webcam ogglers. ;p

• 2 weeks later...

My "Speechless" show last week went well, and I thought the mix worked out nicely. Valdar mentioned that the music selection could use a little more "umph," but the intention of the show was to serve as quiet background music or immaculately constructed instrumental head trips, depending on the listener. ;-) Plenty of pennites were shouted out over the course of the show, including Zool, Valdar, Yui, Appy, etc. A special happy instrumental mini-set was also dedicated to a certain happy pennite couple, whose names shan't be mentioned here out of respect for their secrecy. ;-) A good friend of mine (Xradion) also called in and spoke for a bit over the air, and I attempted to record the show to CDR but don't think that I was entirely successful. Special precautions will be taken in this week's show to make sure the recording process goes smoothly.

Another reminder that this week, the long-advertised "Eros Literate" episode of "Any Given Moment" will be airing, complete with special romantic mix, Pen dedications, and formal dress code. I'll be posting more reminders of the show in this thread as Friday approaches, but would once again really appreciate any Pen listeners and any Pen gals that might be willing to call in! I've slaved over the mix, gotten my fellow DJs to burn mix CDs for me, and have bought a thing or two in the hopes of building something special. Once again, the central question for female Pen callers to answer is "what do you find attractive in a guy?," and you can feel free to add any other poems you'd like to read or questions you have. Stay tuned!

8-10pm eastern is 5-7pm pacific...

i *think* i'll be home by then? if my voice has found its way back to normalcy i'll try to give you a ring. (and if i can find way back up there somewhere where the phone number was posted.)

Thank you reposting the info, Katzaniel, and thank you to everyone who's expressed interest over calling in and listening in! :-) This is just a final reminder that the "Eros Literate" episode of "Any Given Moment" will be airing tonight, from 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM US EST (that starts in about three hours and thirty minutes from when this is posted). I apologize for being more or less absent this week, blame it on a mixture of technological difficulties and work schedules clashing against each other. I should be back writing later tonight, and will hopefully hop onto IRC during the show to take any requests. I'm also going to attempt to record the show, and will try to post the playlist of it here. And yeah, I'll still be dressing up for this. ;-)

Thanks again,

Wyv-

A little update. First of all, the "Eros Literate" episode of "Any Given Moment" that aired last week went absolutely fantastic, and was probably the best show I've ever done. While I've had a lot of positive reactions to my show before, the response to this particular mix was unlike anything I've ever experienced before. There was a charity ball going on in the Marvin Center where the radio station is located, and many of the well-dressed girls wandering in the hall outside waved to me and blew kisses! One group of girls even went so far as to come into the station to compliment me on my looks, haha. The mix itself was near-perfect, and flowed extremely well from track to track while maintaining a very romantic and seductive vibe. A big thank you goes out to Gwaihir and Silver Dragon for calling in and chatting about their favorite qualities in a guy, it was a lot of fun. :-) The only slip-up in the show was that the studio microphones weren't working, which is a shame because another group of girls who know the first year intern that guests on my show dropped by near the end. Still, this show was amazing. There were a lot of shouts to the ladies of the Pen, of course, including: Yui, Lady Celes Crusador, Sweetcherrie, Katzaniel, Tzimfemme, Appy, Zariah, Beautiful Nightmare, etc. I've refrained from posting this update until now since I've been trying to get a recording of the show up, as well as the playlist and a very misleading picture that was taken of me with a few ladies (I have NO tact when it comes to this romantic stuff, honest!). There's a good chance that some of those might be up by next week, keep your fingers crossed.

This evening, I'm going to be doing a show entitled "The Chop Shop," based around extremely choppy and fragmented beats that M.Cs flex their skills over. While it's bound to be a disappointment after the stupendous show last week, it should have a very interesting and original vibe to it and a lot of quality tracks. To put it choppily if you're interested: Same. Place. Same. Time.

Thanks for taking that pic, Katzaniel. :-) Definitely came out cool! I got a few more pics from the show, including the one I alluded to in my last post, which is the first of the bunch.

Eros Literate with two "Any Given Moment" fans: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/eli...rosliterate.jpg

I don't seem to know what to do with my left hand: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/eli...osliterate2.jpg

I'm either out of it, or utterly with it. That's my cohost/first year intern, Robbie, on the right: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c196/eli...osliterate3.jpg

I've got my fingers crossed for the recording, and will post it here if WRGW manages to get it up next week. I'll try to post the playlist along with it as well.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much to time to post or comment this evening (*wrestles with evil writing assignments wearing outlandish belts*) but I recently got the recording of my "Eros Literate" show in and have put it online with Gyrfalcon's aid (thanks Gyr!). The free site that's currently hosting it seems a bit sketchy, so you might want to have your pop-up blocker on when clicking the link:

Edit 12/18/05: link went extinct. New link: http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=f4c...ed4e9b7d77e7c18

Enjoy. :) I think the recording came out pretty good. The mic malfunctions and my inability to stop talking when interviewing people over the phone resulted in a couple of awkward moments, but I've never exactly been Mr. Smooth to begin with. ;-p Here's the playlist:

1) Omni & Mikah 9 "Guess Who's Back" *

2) Atmosphere "Get Fly" *

3) Common "Faithful"

4) Royce & Robust "Girls on Bikes"

5) Felt 2 "Dirty Girl"

6) Encore & Ladybug Mecca "Real Talk"

7) Prince Paul "Flattery"

8) Daedelus with Abstract Rude and Busdriver "Girls"

9) Plant Life "When She Smiles She Lights the Sky"

[interlude over Maker's "Goodtimes"]

10) Black Star "Brown Skin Lady"

11) Gift of Gab "To Know You"

12) Masta Ace "Bklyn Masala"

13) Josh Martinez "Just a Dood"

14) General Elektriks & Lateef the Truthspeaker "Take You Out Tonight"

15) All Natural "When I See You"

16) Qwel "Where I Go, There I Go"

[interlude over Science Fiction's "This is Where I Landed When I Fell For You"]

17) Atmosphere "Good Times"

[Caralyn call-in interview over RJD2's "To All of You"]

18) T1 & J-Smoke "Request"

19) Psalm One "Nipple Ring"

[Gwaihir (Rachel) call-in interview over Royce's "Qwa2"]

20) I Self Devine "I Can't Say Nothing Wrong"

21) Seven Star "For Her"

22) Portishead "It Could be Sweet"

23) Common "The Light"

[silver Dragon (Katey) call-in interview over Maker's "Goodtimes"]

24) Ohmegga Watts & Tiffany Simpson "Your Love"

25) Primeridian "Pose to Do"

26) Felt 2 "Woman Tonight"

[interlude over RJD2's "To All of You"]

27) Outkast "Spottieottiedopealicious" **

* these two tracks are not part of the romantic mix, just some required top ten things I started the show off with.

** this last track didn't make it onto the available recording.

Another update on the status of "Any Given Moment:" the "Chop Shop" episode that occured a few weeks back went quite well. I was very tired from lack of sleep when hosting it, but that strangely seemed to work for the better as it caused me to do all sorts of zany stuff. Highlights included me freestyling over a choppy beat about DL Snake and Appy, and giving a dedication to Zool in a bizarro old school hip hop voice. I question my hosting techniques sometimes, haha... Lots of Pen shouts/dedications, as usual. ^_^

My shows have been preempted for the last few weeks, hence my not posting any updates here. This week would have been my very last show, but it's been preempted for a sports game again. However, I refused to go out without being able to air one final show, and have successfully claimed next Mondays 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM hip hop slot as the date and time for my last airing. :-) This final episode will be entitled "Going out with a Bang," and will once again be based on super happy, upbeat, feel good hip hop. These types of episodes have always been a huge amount of fun to host in the past, and have resulted in a large number of Pen callers. I encourage everyone to call in and show your love to other pennites through shout outs and praises! This'll be the last chance anyone will have to do this, since after this show, there's no more "Any Given Moment" ever! The show will once again be airing on Monday, 12/5/05, from 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM US EST. The number is (202) 994-9749. This show's all about love and appreciation (heck, it always has been), so the more people that call in to show love and support to their fellow pennites, the better. :-) As for my part as webcam jester, expect energetic dancing and perhaps even a random cardboard Dr. Doom mask?!?! You never know when you kick a theme this hype... there might even be a freestyle cypher going down. ;-)

On another note, a big thank you to everyone who's downloaded my "Eros Literate" show and commented on it, it's really appreciated and I'm glad that some of you enjoyed it. :) Some people have mentioned to me that they want to download it, but that the site that the file is hosted on doesn't cooperate with their computer. Would any Pen member who has downloaded it be willing to host it on one of their webspaces? I would be much appreciated if someone did. :-)

That's all for now. I'll bump this up with something hyper as Monday approaches, and hope to hear from some of you then. :-)

Well, it looks like "Any Given Moment" won't be going out with a very big bang after all, since it seems I've been preempted again for a sports game on Monday. :-( It's a shame because an awesome hip hop group from DC, Shambhala, was going to drop by the station and I even downloaded some tracks from iTunes with the specific intention of playing them on this show... oh well, I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles. I've still managed to snag an hour time block from 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM US EST to play one final hour of music, so you can tune in then on Monday if you'd like to hear a short final mix and shouts. It's not very long and I doubt many people will be tuning in since it's not my usual time, but it's something anyway.

Peace,

Wyv~

Well, that's the end of that. ^_^ I wanted to make a final post in this thread just as a reminder that the show is gone for good, and wanted to thank people who have contributed to this project over the years. Believe it or not, the main motivation I had for starting up "Any Given Moment" four semesters back was to be able to chat with some of you people over the air and to give lots of Pen dedications, and I think I was fairly successful in these regards. :-) So first: a big thank you to the entire Pen for motivating me to get involved. You effect me in more ways than you'll ever know.

I really appreciate everyone's contributions and feedback regarding the show, but wanted to give a few special props to people who have really stood out in their contributions:

To those who have recorded and hosted "Any Given Moment" online in the past: Degenero Angelus, Jonathan Wolfe (J-Wolfe), Akallabeth, and Zool.

Thank you guys so much for putting in the time and effort to record "Any Given Moment." It really means a lot to me that you guys would do so much work just to let those at the Pen with scheduling conflicts hear the show, and we have you to thank if there are still archived episodes of "Any Given Moment" available for download in this thread. Know that I really appreciate it, and that your valuable contributions will not be forgotten. Mini-shout to Yui for helping Degenero host that "Third Rocks From the Sun" show online. Respect due!

To those Pen people who have guested in-studio on "Any Given Moment:" Zariah, Happybuddha, and reverie.

Thank you all for dropping by the station to help me host those shows, they were very good times that will remain engraved in my memory. :-) Katey - O.K, next time, we'll have to aim for dancing on the tables. Robert - Mariah Carey on the next record! "Say whhhaaaaaaaat?!" Sean - keeping it real means using spaceships AND russian spies, and you embodied both. Thanks to all of you for hopping in the studio with me, I couldn't have asked for a better reward for hosting the show. :-)

To the Pen people who have called in to "Any Given Moment" and chatted over the air: Falcon2001, Zool, Yui-chan, Orlan, Big Pointy One, Tamaranis, YanYanGanaffi (Pillow), Happybuddha, Alaeha, reverie, Akallabeth, Peredhil, Gwaihir, Silver Dragon and Xradion.

Thank you all so much for fufilling the dreams I had behind hosting this show, you guys are the best! I enjoyed chatting with each and every one of you, and it was a thrill to hear your voices, comments, and creative writing over the air. Thanks for being brave and calling in. A thanks also goes out to Wrenwind for trying to call in to my first romantic show, I'm sorry that I missed the call.

To those pennites who have been frequent listeners and "Any Given Moment" commentators: Katzaniel, Appy, Tamaranis, Sweetcherrie, Lady Celes Crusador, Mira, Lord Panther, Vlad and many others.

You all also deserve thanks for giving "Any Given Moment" the Pen orientation that I dreamed of it having. Thank you for all of your AIMs, your posts in this thread, the pics that you took, and the general love and support that you've shown. It means a lot to me, and was really the foundation for my hosting this show for several semesters. One love.

And that's pretty much a wrap. :-) There are a few archived episodes available in MP3 format in this thread for any people that missed the show and are curious to check it out. Also: I know that I mentioned gifts and prizes to some of you callers and recorders but never pulled through with them. If you were expecting a gift or prize from me for your contributions but never recieved one, please PM me your address so that I can send you one ASAP! I'd be more than happy to do so, as you definitely deserve them. :-)

Anyway, thanks again to everyone. This project's been a blast. ^_^

Yours,

Wyv~

P.S: I'm still lookin for someone to host that "Eros Literate" recording on a more stable site, if anyone's interested.

P.P.S: Here's a final D.J-related pic to sink your teeth into: Left to right: D.J Southside (WRGW), me, Blueprint (Weightless/Rhymesayers), DJ Pauly Paul (WRGW), DJ CRALEE (WRGW), and P.O.S (Rhymesayers)

I'm gonna miss this, had some great times with you and your show.

Thank you right back for including us and never being too busy to hop into chat even to talk to us during the shows.

You've certainly changed my outlook on hip-hop too, just so's you know ^_^

Thanks!

Appy