The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"Any Given Moment"

Wyvern

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for tuning into part of it, Ayshela! :) "Definitively Literate" went well... it wasn't the most exciting of topics to me since Def Jux documentaries have been done countless times before, but it was excellent music and I got a lot of positive feedback for it. I gave shout outs to the Mighty Pen crew, Yuki Kokoro, and Alaeha amongst others, and dedicated tracks to Orlan (RJD2 "2 More Dead"... fuunnkaay!), Zool ("Ridiculoid"... title says it all!) and all of the 9-5ers out there (Aesop Rock "9-5ers Anthem"). Thanks again to everyone who tuned in and supported!

Next week's episode will be subtitled "Broken Hearted," and is based around the theme of heartbreak. It should be a very dark and melancholy affair, with plenty of serious issues and different kinds of failed relationships touched upon. I will also hopefully be introducing a new element to "Any. Given. Moment." starting next week, which involves a special individual poetry reading from a single caller each week. A person will be consulted with beforehand and will then call in to read one of their works over the air during the show, the poem fitting into the show's theme. I'm keeping this upcoming week's speaker under wraps for the moment, so be sure to tune in to find out who he/she is!

I said I'd get the Pen community more involved in the workings of the show somehow, and this will hopefully be a step in the right direction. ;-)

*cue gale of manical laughter here*

Wyv-

That tooka while to catch up on... Good stuff though.

I'll also be looking to Deg to get the back issues. The whole thing sounds awesome Wyv, the ideas and themes are really cool I just wish I could have been there this far.

I'll deffinately tune in when I'm not working :)

The "Brokenhearted" episode of "Any. Given. Moment." went very well, despite it being extremely hot inside the D.J booth and my recently overcoming a bad cold. I actually began to feel a bit sad when discussing certain tracks and playing them, which is a very good sign that the show stuck to it's theme! ;-)

About halfway into the program, the "mystery speaker" of the evening, Falcon2001, called in and was put on over the air. We chatted about this and that, and then he recited one of his many poems that deal with heartbreak, "Cold and Bitter." Thanks once again for agreeing to call in and supporting, Falcon! Expect many more instances of guest Pen callers in the future... I'm thinking that one short reading per week should do the trick. ;-)

In addition to Falcon2001 calling in, I gave shout outs to Yuki Kokoro for AIMing me, and dedicated a track to Annael for her birthday as well as Richard (Solivagus) due to his being through a lot of heartbreak. I also generally gave shout outs to the Mighty Pen crew, as always.

Many thanks to everyone who tuned in! Next week, the show will be subtitled "N.Y Underground," and I'll be exposing several lesser known New York underground hip hop labels (the excellent Embedded, Mondrian Sound, and Centrifugal Phorce rosters amongst them). Your support is appreciated as always! :)

/me waves to Wyv

Long time no see bud, congrats are in order if I'm not mistaken. So..... congratulations! I am very disapointed that I can't tune in to your show. Unfortunately on friday evenings I am not anywhere near a computer, let alone internet access. I will hear your show though, even if I have to pester Deg to send me the recorded file! hehe

Quick question, how long is the program running for?

-Beli

The "N.Y Underground" episode of "Any. Given. Moment." went really well, despite there being numerous technical difficulties behind the scenes... The station's computer wasn't playing Real Audio for some reason, and the second stereo was also having difficulties reading certain CDs. Never the less, the program went very smoothly... in fact, I think this might have been my first show without any real visible mess ups. :)

I sent out a lot of shout outs and dedications to the Mighty Pen over the course of the show. I shouted out all of the people tuning and AIMing me by name, Merelas for a belated B-day, as well as the entire Mighty Pen crew worldwide. I also dedicated tracks to Happy Buddha (Vast Aire - "Cholesteral"... about being a chubby M.C), Zool (Babbletron - "Space Tech Bannana Clip"... crazy comedy sci-fi track), Scarlett O Harpy (Viktor Vaughn - "A Dead Mouse"... track about hunting, complete with evil middle eastern sitar), and Tzimfemme (Aesop Rock - "Water"... I just love operatic vocal samples and religious metaphors). Thanks to everyone who tuned in and supported!

Next week, "Any. Given. Moment." is cancelled due to Spring break, as the campus will be closed and I'll be crashing over at my parents' house. "Any. Given. Moment." will resume again on March 26th, and the theme of the show will be announced at the beginning of that week.

Thanks again to all supporters! :)

Wyvern: I enjoyed the show as much as I did last week (which is approximately immensely :D), but I'd like to note: in my opinion, it could be even better if you spent a little more time each show talking, about why you picked a track, or like a certain group, or anything. It would just add a little identity to the stream of music, making it more uniquely your own. Just a humble suggestion. I don't know if anyone else feels the same.

Sweet - another Zool dedication! :D

I recorded the show again as planned - though as you know my friday nights are usually a mess, so I'll give you feedback when I've had a chance to listen to it, probably today while working around the house.

I think you do a pretty good job of intro-ing the songs, but like Katz I think because you are probably introducing this music to many people who have very little familiarity with hip-hop, a few extra words with that slant wouldn't hurt. I've noticed that you seem to know a lot about the musicians and the genre itself - share the nuggets! ;)

I'm gonna miss your show next week - hope you are able to take advantage of a well earned rest! :)

YOU ROCK! :woot:

• 2 weeks later...

The next show of "Any. Given. Moment." will air this Friday, March 26th, and has been subtitled "Any. Given. MURS!" I'll be playing two straight hours of material from Murs, a very honest, humerous, and down to earth M.C representing the Living Legends crew from L.A. The show will celebrate his latest release, "3:16 the 9th Edition," and should hopefully alert folks that haven't heard of him to a dope rapper and satisfy Murs fanatics alike... Those of you who've caught me rocking my Murs T-Shirt and curiously asked me about it might be interested in hearing every fans self-proclaimed best friend at work... No "mystery caller" has been assigned for this show, but people are encouraged to call in so that we can chat about the lengths of peoples' beards, the symbolic significance of tequillas, and the beautiful scenery of Los Angeles, California.

In response to the suggestions of leaving more time for talking on the show: I'll certainly do my best, though I actually end up rattling quite a bit when compared to some of the other D.Js in my department. The difficulty in personalized chatting arises in my not having any D.J partner to chat with, since hosting conversations with myself gets fairly pretentious and annoying in a short amount of time. If you'd like me to elaborate on some things to learn more, you're more than welcome to call in so that we can chat about them over the air. :) One other brief response: "Any. Given. Moment." is technically a show directed towards a crowd that knows hip hop, regardless of my basically dedicating it to the Mighty Pen. The average George Washington University student tuning into my show for music would technically be searching for an independent hip hop fix... (not that anyone actually does tune in from my University, but let's just put it in hypothetical terms... ;p)

"Any. Given. Moment." - "Any. Given. MURS!" This Friday, same place, same time. Be there, or miss out on numerous Christina Ricci dedications...

Thanks to everyone who tuned into "Any. Given. MURS!" this evening. It was a good show overall, though I felt that the first half of the show was more messy than the second half. There were several annoying computer errors during the first hour which made it impossible play a few of my favorite Murs tracks, including the awesome "24 Hours w/ a G."

The Pen is Mightier than the Sword was represented over the course of the show, as usual. I gave plenty of shout outs to everyone tuning in, as well as to Yui and Aegon over in L.A. I was going to dedicate the track "My X-Box Rules" to Aegon during the first half of the show, but unfortunatly Realplayer messed it up and it didn't play. During the second half of the show, Zool was convinced to impromptly call in, and was put on the air. We chatted about the issue of race in music and the significance of Murs always carrying around a tequilla amongst other things... thanks once again for calling in and chatting on such short notice, Zool!

Next week's show will be subtitled "8 Million Stories," and will be based around hip hop tracks that tell stories. Expect narratives ranging from humor to downright tragedy, with a few ambivalent tales thrown in for good measure. Be expecting a special Pen caller to read a bit of prose over the air as well... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

The "8 Million Stories" episode of "Any. Given. Moment." that aired last Friday went very well... A wide range of stories were touched upon, and Yui called in about halfway through the show to chat and read part of her short story "He Never Broke a Promise." Thanks once again for calling in and sharing your talents with the listening audience, Yui-chan! :) Tracks were also dedicated to Dean the Adequate and Tanuchan amongst others...

On Wednsday, April 7th, I'll be on the air at around 8 PM US EST to interview the highly innovative hip hop artist Doseone over the phone. I'd recommend listening in if possible, as he's quite an eccentric character in the world of music, widely known for his work with cLOUDDEAD, Themselves, and Boom Bip amongst others... Once again, the listening address is www.gwradio.com for those that might be interested.

"Any. Given. Moment." will be airing at it's usual time this week as well... The theme of the week is entitled "Rhymesayers," and the show will be entirely dedicated to Rhymesayers Entertainment, a Minneapolis-based hip hop collective that have established themselves as some of the finest MCs in the business, and have single-handedly sparked a thriving hip hop scene in Minnesota. I should mention that my very favorite hip hop album, Atmosphere's "Lucy Ford," was released through Rhymesayers along with many other amazing albums... Fans of punk rock may also be interested to hear that two of Rhymesayers' principal acts, Atmosphere and Eyedea, are distributed through the punk rock label Epitaph, who consider their music quality material. Also, keep an ear open for another special guest caller from the Pen... ;-)

On a side not:, I apologize for my lack of creative Pen posting recently... As you can probably guess by this post and my recent concert description, I've been quite busy with radio work this week. I should be back to more Pen posting quite soon... :)

Just to let everyone know, both the Doseone interview and the "Rhymesayers" episode of "Any. Given. Moment." went very well last week. It was a pleasure to get to interview Dose over the phone, and he seemed very eccentric and talkative over the course of the interview. The highlight of the interview was probably this extremely weird story Doseone told about a video shoot he did with Radioinactive in L.A, which involved goats being stolen by random pedestrians from zoos amongst other things. Hopefully, the interview should be up in MP3 format at some point for those that missed it.

The "Rhymesayers" episode also went very well, and I think it may have been one of my best shows yet. There were no visible slip-ups, and the transitions between tracks went very smoothly. Just about every significant Rhymesayers release to date was touched upon over the course of the show, and Orlan called in from Minnesota to chat about the common past-time activities over in Saint Paul. Thanks once again for calling in Orlan, your contribution is definitely appreciated! :) A track was also dedicated to Minta Rose (Eyedea & Abilities - "One Twenty"... super hyper-active), and birthday shouts were given to Valdar, Aardvark, Parmenion, and Gwaihir.

Just to give people a heads up: there are only two more episodes of "Any. Given. Moment." left in the semester! This week, I'll be doing a special show on political hip hop entitled "Everything is Politics," and anyone who has disturbing news articles they'd like to share over the air is highly encouraged to call in. It should be a very dark and spoken-word oriented show, so be sure to stay tuned...

Thanks once again to everyone!

The "Any. Given. Moment" episode "Everything is Politics" went quite well last week, though I haven't had a chance to hear it for myself yet so I can't be sure. I think I may have used too many unnecessary sound effects... Anyway, I gave a shout out to the Mighty Pen as always, though there were no special dedications to Pen members. There were, however, several "special dedications" to the Bush administration and it's current foreign policies, and the show kept a very political theme throughout. Nobody called in, so I read several segments of news articles instead. Thanks to everyone who tuned in and listened!

This week's show will be entitled "Third Rocks from the Sun," and it will be based on the excellent traditional hip hop label Third Earth Music. Kimani Rogers, the lead M.C of the groups Roosevelt Franklin and Masterminds as well as the head of Third Earth Music, will be calling in for an interview during the course of the show. You can actually read about it on the Third Earth website, where it's mentioned in the most recent news update. :-D This will also be my last show of the semester, so tune in if you can!

Thanks to everyone who's supported "Any. Given. Moment." by tuning into it at some point over the course of the last few months. It's been a lot of fun hosting the show and an excellent experience all around, and I hope that those who have managed to tune in have enjoyed it, differing tastes in music aside.

In further news: "Any. Given. Moment." next semester with a new time and potential co-host? Stay tuned... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let everyone know, the final episode of "Any. Given. Moment." went very well last week... Third Earth Music was dealt with over the course of the show, M.C Kimani Rogers was interviewed, and a couple of people were shouted out over the air. Rather than go into specific details about this show, I'd like to instead provide everyone with an MP3 of the final episode, as Degenero Angelous was kind enough to record it and Yui-chan was kind enough to host it. You can download and listen to the entire show here:

"Third Rocks From the Sun"

Those who never had the chance to tune into my show due to scheduling conflicts should definitely check this one out, as it certainly provides an accurate depiction of what my show is like and is probably one of my best shows yet! Thanks once again to everyone who has tuned in and has helped out with "Any. Given. Moment." this semester, particularly those who have recorded it, those who have called in by request, and those who have contacted me by AIM during my show.

"Any Given Moment" will return without the pretentious periods after the Summer has ended, with the brand new time slot of Thursdays from 8:00 - 10:00 PM, US EST. Further detail will be added to this description a few months down the line, and this thread will be unstickied next week once people have been alerted of the MP3.

{Edit by Yui-chan: Updated the link to the file, as I was doing some 'housecleaning' on the site. Sorry for the inconvenience, all.}

Edited by Yui-chan

• 3 months later...

Just to let people know since a few have asked me about it: "Any Given Moment" is tentatively scheduled to return on Friday, September 10th. It will air every Friday from that point onward at the same place and time as last semester: 10:00 PM - 12:00 AM US EST at http://www.gwradio.com. You can read the new description I wrote up for the show at http://gwradio.com/Links/onairschedule. Though it's still about a month away, the theme for the first show of this semester is tentatively going to be "relaxing Summer jams," so be sure to bring a cool lemonade and some barbequed ribs if you choose to tune in. ;-) Be expecting plenty of call-ins, interviews, free giveaways, and interesting themes over the course of the next semester...

I'll write up more details about the first show as the date approaches... holla, Pen siiiiiiide! ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder to everyone at the Pen that's interested: my hip hop radio show, "Any Given Moment," starts airing again this Friday, September 10th, from 10:00 PM to 12:00 AM US Eastern Standard Time. For those of you that are unfamiliar with my show, "Any Given Moment" is a radio show that focusses on specific thematic elements of the latest in independent hip hop music, and will be aired online every Friday over the course of the next semester. I've continously given shout outs and dedications to specific Pen members over the course of my show, and several Pen members have gotten involved in the show by actually calling in and reading their works or chatting. I intend to continue this trend over the course of this next semester, and will also be offering several free giveaways and (*fingers crossed*) perhaps even an in-studio guest or two.

Once again, the complete info for the show is:

"Any Given Moment"

Fridays, 10:00 P.M - 12:00 A.M U.S EST

http://www.gwradio.com

Call in: (202) 994-9749

AIM: RGWradio

GW Radio offers several methods of streaming shows online, so you don't need any specific internet music programs to listen in. :) You can also contact me during my show to chat or comment by using AOL Instant Messanger and messanging RGWradio. The station should also be installing a new live camera in the studio so you can actually watch me as I DJ, but it doesn't seem to be up quite yet.

The first show of this semester is entitled "Just Chill," and will feature 100% chill Summer jams with a touch of top ten indie stuff thrown into the mix. No better way to blow a goodbye kiss to the Summer than two hours of relaxing, catchy melodies... ;-)

Once again, I really appreciate anyone who tunes into my show, as the show is largely dedicated to you guys and I like to think of the Mighty Pen as one of my primary audiences. I'm super-grateful to everyone who supports me by listening in. :)

Speaking of listening, I know certain people have scheduling conflicts that can't be avoided which disable them from tuning in, which is why I'm going to try my best to get as many shows as I can archived in MP3 format this semester. To do this, I need someone willing to record each of my shows, and someone willing to archive them as MP3s. Degenero Angelus has done an amazing job of recording my shows in the past, and has suggested that he can record them again this semester. Are you still up to doing it, Deg? :-) Also, is there anyone who'd be willing to archive each recorded show as an MP3?

Thanks in advance to all the supporters, hope some of y'all will be able to catch it Friday... I'll be doing Pen shout-outs and dedications, as usual. ;-)