The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

For the phonic impaired...

I'll start with my characters. :0)

1. Salinye. Now, this is suh-lin-yay. Like YAY, Sal's here. NOT Suh-lin-YEEE! Yay=good Yee=bad Yay=smile Yee=lightening up the back side. Any questions?

2. Senora is pretty much like it is in the song: "My girl's name is Senora, I tell you folks I adore her..." And yes I've had that stupid song stuck in my head ever since I started writing with Senora.

3. Rarely used, but a char here none the less is Ellowyn. Ell-oh-Win like I win, yay!

Okay, now for you. :0) This was inspired btw when Peredhil used Salinye in a rhyme making her name sound like it ended in YEEEE I resisted the urge to zap him though, since he didn't know. *grins*

Thanks in advance for sharing!!

~Salinye :butterfly:

Edited by Salinye

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You list the syllables in your name all in caps, Salinye. Is one syllable emphasized more than others?

For mine, A(as in the name of the letter, A)-shell-uh, emphasis on the leading syllable.

Good question, though, and i'm glad you asked because i know i've looked at a nym or two and wondered.

Yeah... I guess I should follow suit. I've had so many people mispronounce my name... It's uh-lay-ha. Not uh-lay-uh, not uh-lee-uh. The H is not silent. ;)

Of course, the way I spell my name, it's understandable for people to have a hard time with it. :)

Hmm...I think I remember there being a thread like this quite a while ago, on the Archmage boards, I think. Of course, it was a little on the absurd side. If I remember correctly, Zool stretched his name into a huge pronounciation describing his name and himself. Ah, good times...

Anyway, Kasmandre is pronounced Kas-man-dre with both a's making ah sounds and the e making a long A sound.

I don't think any of my other characters' names are too hard to pronounce, but if I run across one, I'll add it here.

Well ok. This is going to be quite the lesson considering I dont know anything about phonics what so ever, but here I go!

AngelXIIX : An-jel X I I X [ You pronounce each individual letter as if it was all alone ]

Now onto the next one.

Tasslehoff : Tass-l-hof [ Tasslehoff. Not to hard.. The "F" is long.. I think? ]

:D

:penguin:

This is a nifty thread, because I've been unsure of how to pronounce quite a few names for quite a while. However, it would be too much work to switch away from the incorrect pronounciations and start saying these names properly. I'll just carry on being wrong instead.

(If you get any of my character's names wrong, whatever.)

Will accept either the two syllable or three syllable form... but have always thought of the 3 syllable from when refering to myself...

Main Entry: rev·er·ie

Variant(s): also rev·ery /'re-v&-rE, 'rev-rE/

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural rev·er·ies

Etymology: French rêverie, from Middle French, delirium, from resver, rever to wander, be delirious

Date: 1657

1 : DAYDREAM

2 : the condition of being lost in thought

revery

the dreamlost

"come on, fun one smile."

the dream continue...

Edited by reverie

Hehe, this is kinda appropriate, since I was talking to some people about it last night.

If using shortened version 'Deg', it's like the Dej out of Deja.

'Degenero' is pronounced like DE-geh-NEE-ro. Kinda hard to do if you don't know the roots of it.

'Angelus' is rather easy. Angel-us.

'Natanis' is pronounced Na-tay-NUS

'Aliara' is pronounced Ah-lee-are-ah

I think that's all.

-Keh-neth Biss-oh-net

Celes Crusader: SEE-LAYSS CRU-SSA-DUHR

Carbone: KAHR-BONN

Cambronne: How I'm supposed to pull out French phonetics? Its KAN-BRONN. While the bronne part is not that hard to explain, the Cam part is trickier. Because I dont pronouce the AM like Ham. I think the sound its not found in the English tongue. For those who have french notions, Cambronne whould be pronounce Quand-bronne. Of course, dont forget to roll your "R".

Errrr...

Pretty self-explanatory, but in the interests of prosperity... (Or something like that.)

FiNN-EE-uhs

Finn-E-us

Finnius.

Or, if you prefer the more traditional spelling: Phineas.

Fun! I would think that my name is readily readable but if not

Shy-Ann

or in Rl (Jini is how it is spelled) Genie

I still resond to Hey You quite often though, that and Mom.....

I think out of all people here, my name is the easiest to pronounce, so I shan't bother explaining how to. :)

Failing that, you guys can always call me Maddy if you are having problems figuring out how to say Madoka. :D

Madoka.