The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Your Identity

Rune

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I decided to go ahead and post what I can remember off the top of my head about the other characters I have...more like the ones that I used to play. ;)

First off, there was Kaiyn MacGregor. She was born to the Ventrue clan in the World of Darkness. Remember, this was back when I first started rping...so be nice. :D

Then there's my beloved kender, Arson Pocketfinder. :D How I miss playing this one.

Edited by Blondemoon

Ah Vincent Silver my fav character name to use among my many names. I got the name Vincent because when my mother was thinking of names for myself,she mentioed Vincent. My father hated the name and I ended up being called Blake (blarg I hate my real name) I was told I could of been called Vincent by my momther and I thought the name sounded cool. So when I got into Role Playing I always name the main character Vincent (which got me confused when FF7 came out cus I had two Vicents!!) When I started writing I had to think of a last name for Vincent,who at the time was a character with no appeance. I began tryin games such as Terra or Bonne (The name of my parish "Terrebonne" means good earth in french) I finally gave up untill I got the idea to give him metallic silver hair. I was talking to a friend about my character I sliped and called him Vincent Silver,and the name stuck!

Way back before 1997 (when *I* first got online) I read the poem "Ozymandias" by Percy Bysshe Shelley in some English class somewhere and rather liked its style. Years went by and I forgot all about it.

97 rolled around and I jumped onto the net with both feet. gaming, chat rooms, e-mail, etc. - probably ten hours out of every day. But before I could get started (having just seen the movie "Hackers", I think) I knew I needed a cool nickname. Ozymandias came to mind. I had no idea what it was, but went with it. It had style, panache, all that good stuff. (Or so I like to think ;>) )

More years passed, and 2000 rolled around and I stumbled on "Ozymandias" in a new poetry book. Rereading it, I liked the poem even more, seeing it for the warning against hubris it is, and then proceeded to enjoy the name for the double entendre of egotism and humility it reprsented. I like to leave myself subtle personal conduct reminders like that.

I think I've used a grand total of five other nicknames online since '97, and none have ever stuck. :

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm...lesse. Like many others in here.. I owe it to AM. I found Archmage through a random search during my first fays of being online. I had one or two names at the beginning (Math was one, for the wizard of legend), but none stuck. Shortly after beginning AM, I discovered the boards. Tzimm, Shurak, Joat, and a few others I believe Gyrfalcon mentioned were inspiring to me. So, I tossed out whatever current name I was using and came up with something short and sweet. I chose Brute because it was ironic in a personal sense. In reality, I am a physically imposing person. I can loom and intimidate VERY well. Although, typically, someone like that is stereotyped as dumb, and slow, which I am neither.

I guess brute came about because I wanted to see if anyone would ever get to know me enough to ask why I chose such a name when it really doesn't fit, for you folks online don't see the physical part of me, but the mental and emotional. Someone did ask eventually, long after I'd forgotten why I chose the name.

As to the Drunkard part of it...well, I used to be a sailor and spend vast amounts of time and money on booze. I also needed a gimmick to get recognotion in the AM boards, for I was shy and very reserved to writing anything. So along came the Decanter of Endless Booze. Only a master drunkard could be able to handle such an artifact and live to tell the tale. So there ya have it.

Oh.. Jarom Stormbrow is simply a character I use from time to time to write with. I figured it sounds like a good dwarven name.

May 1999: Trying desperately to keep awake the night before my 6:30AM flight, I stumbled upon Archmage via banner leaping. I was irritated that I had just lost my first LiveActionRolePlaying character two nights previous, and tried to input her clan name 'Tzimisce'--taken on Server One. A bit of thought provided the much easier to spell Tzimfemme (#843, Server One reset three). Originally a feminist battle-axe in response to in-game harrassment, time and maturity (and an unfortunate run-in with the fabled Men of Terra and their DEP*) smoothed her out to the naked, double-tongued, and lively bastard of today. Fast-forward to May 2002, cursing at the Everquest login screen as I had deleted a previous Tzimfemme and couldn't recapture the name, I had sufficient identity to slough off the gender tag, and Tzimm was born. As a human cleric of the plague-bringer, I nose at corruption with a passion, and encourage it, and decry it, and generally toy with the idea and that of immortality.

August 1999: Wanted to broaden my horizons, and dabbled at Blitz One, and I remembered liking the elegance of the slightly wrongly translated name Rydia from Final Fantasy Four. She was originally roleplayed directly as the game portrayed her, but the Reign of the Lunatics twisted that soon enough into the cheerful and shy lady who didn't bat an eye at insanity. Hyperactivity bled away into another persona--Minta Rose, two random old-fashioned names that sounded pretty together. Rose was the mortal name of Rosemary, who lived in the LARP with periphrastic glossolalia, and who was Minta? She is entirely my own creation, degrading through the ages, becoming more immature and remorseless and immoral--recently she has been fixed as a gnome, and actively hunts elves for their having remarked strangely about her pet undead! Rosemary has done her damage with diablerie**, and hasn't been quite herself since.

Dr. Tzimfemmestien was given to me; the character behind the song-named Sossity was also. Eveline fell out of a James Joyce short story and Tanaquil from early histories of Rome. Happy Hentai Wholesale. . .well, that was Ager's Reset of the Perverse, who had anticipated so many questionable names?***

*Prior to Orlan becoming a (sexy, sexy) Man of Terra. DEP is the mystical hair gel of concentrated studliness.

**And now that name is gone.

***"Can I bang him now?" "No" "Can I bang him now?" "NO!" My ally gummy (Trojan Man, that reset) begging to drop the atomic bomb on an enemy named Cherry. I _swear_ this was not premeditated.

That's me... always late to the party! :blink:

Psimon is an old RP character I 'adopted' from my GM at mere lvl 2 (AD&D) way back in 1987 (I'm so old! :( *sobs*) and over the course of the next 4 years (off and on) I 'played' him up to his retirement as a Demi-god.

Over the intervening years I have continued to nibble away at his character development, including ArchMage, short stories, and a (for the moment) stalled trilogy of full-blown fantasy novels.

You could say that in many respects I *am* Psimon and Psimon is me!

We have known one another for many years and our relationship has only strengthened with time. I love the people he loves, just as he loves the people I love etc.

But to reply to the query directly:

His name derives from one of his considerable strengths, his Psionics (mind powers/abilities)

PS. I blame him for my verbosity!! :rolleyes:

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect long dead threads, but I couldn't resist.

I picked the name Mira probably back in 1999. I found the name in a book called The Atlas of the Universe. Apparently Mira is a binary star in the constellation Cetus, and it was also the first non-supernova variable star ever discovered. Soon after discovering the name, I used it for an Evoker I created in AD&D. Then once a friend directed me to Archmage, the name became an obvious choice for my account as I was playing an Eradication Mage.

ah I'll join the resurrection...

My last name translates to cherries....

Over the years I've been a lot of different cherries, but my main has always been Sweetcherrie...given to me not taken.

But yeah, I've been Darkcherrie, Evilcherrie, Angrycherrie, Sadcherrie....and a bunch of others.

Finally decided to stick with Sweetcherrie....and try to be the other ones as little as possible.

Edited by Sweetcherrie

I love resurrections :D

I also, like many others here, needed a name to play Archmage. I had just previously to my jump on the internet been thinking about a World of my own (pen&paper AD&D), and one of the forests I had called Apaltra (because there were huge apples in it, it does makes perfect sense, ok? :P)

The character herself being quite noble and druid like in her ways. Always trying to look out for others. Take care of them. The responsible one.

So I saw the paper with that name and decided I liked it enough to use as a nick. Not long after I also joined chat of course, but after several weeks everybody.. and I MEAN everybody, called me Appy... hence Appy was born.

In chat, as many here know, I'm jumpy/hyper and all of that, therefor, so is Appy.. able to change her age at will, first wielding a shoe-gun and later a moose (to replace the ever boring trout). Fun times.. The innocent one.

This all was on apprentice server, and somewhere in 2000 I joined server, together with a bunch of vets from appr, and started Zero Tolerance. We didn't do too bad in the beginning, but mostly it was about having fun, so Role Playing was a big part.

W1ldJ0k3r was made, and turned out quite viscious and, well, wild.

The viscious one.

I constantly received messages with stuff about a guild on apprentice that I wasn't part of, and that's where I found out that there already was a wildjoker around on AM. So a name change was in order, and immediatly a new character-type.. why not :)

I've always loved Terry Pratchett and one of the names he uses is Ptraci... in the book she's a courtgirl in Egypt-like surroundings, ending up as pharaoh. I just liked the name. Appy's alter-ego Ptraci was born. Now I could also call her the viscious one, but that's not completely correct. For now she will be: The difficult one.

Katzaniel: Pretty random. Came up with the character of the cat shapeshifter, found "Katz" as the translation that was least-obvious without being totally off the original, and added the last part to make it sound more feminine.

Inbi Infusco: Again, thought of the character first. If I recall correctly, Inbi means fire and Infusco means mystery, in some languages or other. I chose those particular translations because they sounded cool.

Parmeisan: This is from way back when, when I first started chatting on IRC. For a long time I was Mufasa from the Lion King, (I liked the name, and it was hard to find an unused nick) but that's a male character, and I eventually switched to Spaghetti, or probably Spaghetti99 if the former was taken. But I started to get in the habit of changing my nick throughout the conversation, for the fun of it, so I'd go from Spaghetti to Pasta to Fettucini, or cycle through cheeses because I really like pasta and cheese. When I made my yahoo account, I settled with parmesan, but I didn't know how to spell it. Which is just as well because it's not taken anywhere else, and I like the uniqueness it gives me.

A mix of things for me.

Shortly after I met him, Gryphon gave me the name Mynx because of my psychotic behaviour...he picked it from a quote in the first Ghostbusters movie about a demon...

Cryptomancer (and another friend of ours called Loup) seconded (thirded?) it because of my general feline behaviour...

Then people started being introduced to me in RL as Mynx or just using the name since I could be guaranteed to respond to that as opposed to my real name which can be a tad popular in a crowd.

*shrugs*

It just...fits...

...Meow

Whoo...Good lord, how long ago was it....I want to say that it was in 98, and I was in seventh grade, no telling though.. Might've been before that. Or after. I don't remember.

But I had been trying to create a name for a character, and for a good larf, I wanted to use as many vowels in the name as I possibly could. And for another larf, I wanted it to start with a letter that wasn't often used. So I had the first letter: X. And I had that I wanted as many vowels as possible, so put together, I had:

Xaieou.

Now, that don't work. I needed something to end it with, a good consonant sound to end it on. After thinking for a little while on what to do with this, I think I sighed, and in doing so thought 'fss' (that's how some of my sighs sound), and that 'sss' sound cought my attention, so I tried:

Xaeious.

Still was a bit off...That e..:

Xaious.

I kept trying to get that e in there, but I didn't like:

Xaiouse.

Every way I found to pronounce it just..didn't feel happy like I wanted it to. So I stuck with Xaious.

Xaious.

I've used this name in a number of places:

First time I played DnD, and I was new to it (duh), I made a rogue, because I have a weakspot for taking things... And I made him a half-elf, because for some reason Half-elf appealed to me as a good race (to this day, most of my characters have been half-elven). So I named him Xaious, but he needed a last name, and after looking in the book at typical names for an elf, I got Meliamne.

Xaious Meliamne. I didn't play with this one too much, didn't get the chance to. Don't think he ever hit level 2. But he was the best rogue I've evr played: He never failed his pickpocket checks.

Roleplaying on my friend's website.

Roleplaying on my website.

A DnD campaign that was being run by one of my friends: Xaious Meliamne (I decided to like that name) was a half-elven wizard, a necromancer (I have a rather liking for the use of undead).

On Neverwinter nights, I've made the character Xaious Meliamne, a half-elven Wizard, necromancer of course. One day while playing, I was arguing with someone online about what Necromancers did. He claimed that all they were good for was making undead, so I threatened him.

"We also make dead."

I still use that line often enough.

Yeah.

But one day, a friend of mine by the name of Vincent Silver, or rather, Blake, showed me this website at another friend's house, a friend who likes going by names such as Virulent Holy, Vexed Wargasm, Virulent Seraph, and other types of names. I looked over his shoulder to see what he was talking about, but I didn't feel like joining: I've a habit of avoiding the types of websites my friends might go to, because they're usually not worth the html they're coded with. But after a while, I eventually got around to checking this one out. After all, it was just short stories and poems, and not pictures. It's usually the sites with pictures that thy tell me about that are godawful. And when I got here, I liked it, and decided to register, so I needed a name. A name that would come to me like second nature. A name that would speak about me. A name that told what I am.

Xaious.

But that was a little..lacking. I wanted something far more grand than just a first name. I thought about using Meliamne again, but I wanted something...more iriginal. So I thought about it. What would I like to let people know about me by my name? What COULD I let people know by my name. So I thought about other things I like.

I thought about:

I like cats..Something about feline? Nah, that seemed kinda ghey.

Taking things? Nah, that would likely have adverse effects.

Power? What kind of power? That one got me thinking.

And as far as I have always been able to figure, the three best powers anyone could have were:

Telepathy: That works good for what one could do with it, but it's kinda...weak...in comparisng to what I could do with

Telikinesis: That's powerful, can do some major stuff with that, but how could I work that into a name? Telikinetic?..Hmm...There was still

Time Control. If you could control time, the power you would have. This one sturck a heartstring, it took me into it's home and said 'Yes, I am yours to use'. I mean, heck, whenever I'm not wearing a watch, I feel naked (...we'll ignore the fact that that's the only Time I actually ever feel naked)...But I still needed find a way to use it.

Xaious, Time Controller? Nah, that's kinda bleh. And heck, it even makes it sound like a DnD Class, which mean he wasn't the only one, that there were scores more who could do whatever he could.

I mean hell, he was supposed to have mastery over time...Mastery...

Master..That's good and powerful.

Xaious, Time Master...Nah..How about..

Xaious, Master of Time...Now that, THAT is a title that speaks to me of power, of greatness, of..of...of people are going to know who I am.

So since then I've been Xaious, the Master of Time.

And that's pretty much where my name came from.

And it's ben far more effective han other names I've used online:

Gohan (Starmen.net), Tempestial Bassist (Starmen.net, after a good long time of not being active), Mental Tempest (Thecowscorner.com forums, my friends forums before they were reset), Contented Coloquist (current name on thecowscorner.com), Or even James Reid (originally used as my name on Gaiaonline.com)..Although that last one was sortof a bit known...I mean, what with the campaigning about of 'James Reid for Poor Gaians'....

So Here am I, Xaious, Master of Time (specifically mastered wasting time. :P )

As with many of the members here the character Regel started on Archmage. I had started playing as a solo mage named Leger (a newbie). Leger was killed for sport by a villian in a guild named Empire. I reincarnated the mage and he was quickly killed again. Once more I reincarnated the mage Leger and you guessed it. So I thought to myself I need a name that the mage that killed me won't immediately recognize. So I twisted the name around into Regel. I used this mage name to get Leger's killer. I slayed him in battle and revealed my name on the final attack. Regel became my mage name from that day forth. It went from sounding french (Leger) to sounding german (Regel). So that is where my role playing character Regel came from.

Well let me see.

the art of Cryptomancy is from role playing, I played an elf, he was a cryptomancer, dm's choice as it looked fun. (The DM changed his mind when i used the rune of water to make arrows out od holy water and shoot them at his ridiculously strong vampire that had us on the back foot.)

I liked the discription of the art as it fits my view of writing. Magic with words.... mmm... yummy.

the Raven came from my earlier nickname 'Crow' thanks to a story told at my 21st about me talking (mimicing) to a crow in my back yard at the age 3.

Friends took this as a sign because of the martial arts thing and the Crow being out in the movie theatres, I got the name. then........ my wonderful wife looked at it and suggested that i resembled the Raven from E A poe's poem, as i n i like to sit in dark corners and watch people, generally scaring them too. it stuck.

as for the ego, um.. *blush*

nuf said really.

:raven:

My use of Gryphon goes way way back... I think it was... maybe 1995 give or take a bit, I got my hands on my first modem against my parents objections and I started hooking up to local dial-in bulletin boards.

My first choice of nick back then was Dragon and you'd not believe how popular a nickname that was... well maybe you would, but back then in particular on the local BBS's around here every second fantasy and / or kung fu (read Bruce Lee) fan was calling himself Dragon, so my chances of getting that was slim to non-existant...

So I started hunting through the names of other mythological beasties that inspired me, and to be honest there were not many that grabbed me until I thought of gryphons. I started using Gryphon everywhere, and it was going quite well until I ran into my first Griffin... who later turned out to be a friend of mine... I still to this day don't know who started using it first, but since it was his bulletin board that I was on and the similarity between our names was causing confusion Skydancer was born.

Somewhere around this same time I joined my first AD&D group and my first characters name was Gryphon. The people in that group only knew me from my time on their BBS so I was Gryphon to them in both character and in person, and it just spread from there.

Now I answer to 'Gryphon' as readily as I answer to my given name. In fact, usually better since when someone yells out "Gryphon" on the street, chances are I'm the only one they're talking to. ;)

I think there is a post eating monster somewhere...

I could have sworn (oops, not pose to swear) I thought for sure I had replied to this thread at one point. I even remember what I said (I think.. or maybe not). Musta been a dream or something crazy-like.

I am not really sure where Rune came from. Oddly enough I was sitting at the pen one day trying to figure out what name I wanted to register when the name Rune came out of nowhere. I never really had to figure out how the name fit with the character. It was almost as if she walked in and introduced herself at that exact moment and everything afterwards just fit together. That may also be the reason why it is so hard to write nowadays. It may sound silly but it's almost as though Rune was actually doing the writing. I told someone once she was my inner child. A child that had been surpressed due to years of abuse in the real world. Perhaps that is true.. and like all children she simply grew up.

(edit - gogo grammar ghost)

Edited by Rune

Epinephrine, thats easy!

I'm a scientist. I've never played a role playing game and my standard light reading is a physics text. Epinephrine is another word for the natural drug adrenaline. Signing up for a creative writing forum got my adrenaline going and my geeky nature switched it to epinephrine cause that sounds way cooler (well in my mind anyway). My other character is Seratonin another drug produced by the brain that is responsible for feelings of happiness or well being. Its real name is 5-hydroxytriptamine...

*stops as Mynx slaps him for entering complete geek mode*

:D

Alaeha... The origins of the name are really simple: I was playing ADOM (Ancient Domains of Mystery, one of the best Rogue-Like Games (ASCII based RPGs) ever) and I was trying to come up with a new name, since I had something like thirteen different save files, and the game doesn't let you have multiple characters by the same name at the same time. I was planning on playing a Healer for the sake of variety, so I did what I do when I need a name. I scrambled the letters of an appropriate word.

In this case, I inverted the word Heal. It became Laeh. But that seemed kind of weird. When in doubt, add vowels. After all of about thirty seconds, Laeh the Healer became Alaeha the Healer, and later I recycled the name onto a Bard, after the original suffered a gruesome death at the hands of something or other. Probably a Raider or some such.

And then some time later I needed a good screen name on AIM, and I decided on a whim to try that name, and it went through. I was lucky, because I flatly refuse to apply numbers or creative misspellings to my name. And since then I've been using Alaeha or one of a small handful of other names for most everything. I don't remember how the names Nisela and Aleyar came to be, though.

Interesting stories here - and fun to see how many names originated thanks to ArchMage!

Venefyxatu dates back a little bit before Archmage. I'd found a few boxes with a PnP roleplaying game that my parents used to play (before I was born :) ) called Oog des Meesters (the original name is Das Schwarze Auge, apparently the English version is called The Black Eye) and I wanted to try and create a character.

Wizards looked interesting, and even then I had a fascination for vampires, undead, necromancy, ... With the help of a Dutch - Latin dictionary I figured out that the Latin word for magic is 'veneficium' (if I remember correctly :P). I don't like just using a word, so I decided to change it a bit ... change the ending to that of Nosferatu, which gave me Veneficatu.

Nope, not good enough ... it needs a different sound where the c is. Maybe an s-sound ... and use a 'k' instead of the 'c'. Venefiksatu. Yeah, I like the sound of that!

The character was born, but unfortunately never played. I still have him lying around though :D After a while I brought him to the Yahoo RPG rooms, but changed the spelling a bit - 'yx' looks more interesting than 'iks', so Venefyxatu was born. The longer I played him, the better I started liking the name until I started using it as my own nickname.

I'm still using it, as you no doubt have noticed :P, and am immensely proud to be the only one using that name.

Music Evangelist came about from my large music collection and the fact that I like talking about music. I am known amongst my friends as someone who is likely to have any music they want to listen to, so they borrow from me all the time. One friend said "You almost evangelise music" and thus the name was born.

Other names I have used in the past are Godfather, Calis Python and various Tolkien names.

Godfather comes from an indoor cricket team known as The Trippin' Gangsters. We all took gangster sounding names and I was the coach and captain so chose Godfather. This has become my nick of choice now and my login on many boards.

Calis Python was a roleplaying name. I played Rolemaster. The name has two origins really. The first and most obvious is the character Calis in Raymond E Feist's Magician series. In Rolemaster there was a sword called the sword of Kalis Python, so I thieved it and changed the spelling. I also like the possible Monty Python connection.

I actually thought up the name Racouol came to me in 1997 in one of my more colerful dreams. I then decided that I liked that name and have been using it all the time afterwards. First for D&D campaigns, then for Archmage, and now here.