The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Your Identity

Rune

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a role-player. Always have been, and probably always will be. That's where my character came in. I wanted to achieve many different perspectives.

When I first found the pen, it was as a wizard in the game of Archmage. But, I did not feel so 'all-knowing' as a wizard in the literary world - and I thought it would be very neat to play on the pun of a fighter (that is a sword wielding character, for anyone less inclined to DnD terms, or whose had too much to drink. :P ) joining a club/guild known as The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

Add that with the thought that I wanted to be more serious here - not roleplay but be myself - and I came up with a name: Justin 'Silverblade' Thomas. That way the first name is something you'd hear in everyday language.

He was made up for the Pen first, and the 'Would-Be Knight' has not yet played a role in any games or stories... yet. No doubt some time in the future, he'll have a history, and a great story, as all should.

Yours,

- Justin

Kasmandre was the name I used the first time I played Archmage. After a few days of getting my ass handed to me, I found the Conservatory and started a story based on my mage. As for how I came up with the name in the first place, I just kinda thought up something random and it stuck.

hmm... sure why not...

Okay... Way back in in say 1998 or 1999... i discovered this kewl thing called email... or hot mail to be precise... Anyways, it told to me come up with some type of name thingy for it... So i searched and searched and searched my mind looking for a name... Oh forgot to mention i didn't have computer at this time... so was in a library back home on leave from work n'stuff... Anyways i starting making up combination with the word's 'land,' 'broken,' wasteland'(was once call the waste land of useless knowledge... but that's another story...), 'lil', and 'ill... i had used previously playing starcraft online...(roommate had a comp.)

Um, eventaully decided, i didn't like any of those... so started flipping through the dictionary looking for more words... Well was in a good mood, so decided to try something with the word 'revelry'... fortunatelly for me though... i'm a terrible spelling... so i stumbled on the word "revery/reverie" instead....

I stared at definition for a minute...

::stares::

Main Entry: rev·er·ie

Variant(s): also rev·ery /'re-v&-rE, 'rev-rE/

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural rev·er·ies

Etymology: French rêverie, from Middle French, delirium, from resver, rever to wander, be delirious

Date: 1657

1 : DAYDREAM

2 : the condition of being lost in thought

...hmm, day dreams... lost in thought... castlebuilding... wandering... hey, that's me! So i slapped broken on the front and got... 'broken_reveries' meaning i'm forever being snapped back into reality from day dreams and what not... and what do ya know... i have a email address...

Some month later my friend (dbkilin)back at work... goes home on leave and comes back addicted to this stupid thumbnail mud type game based on magic the gathering aptly named archmage.... think his cousins turned him on to it... And like any virus it started to spread... Soon a great many of my friends and associates were all infected with game... and i prolly would have held out, if not for my room mate a.k.a litewalker. Yep the virus got him too...

So one day, i look over and said... "say hey, ben... what ya playing" he replied... "Archmage, you should play, everyone should play... hahahahahaha!!!" okay didn't happen quite like that... so to suffice to say... I got the AM virus...

So... was staring at AM login screen for an alliad/name:

hmm... whole email... would not fit in the space thing... so i chopped it down... to 'revery' And all was war and chaos... and we made much war in the relm of cyperspace... Eventaullly got sick of the game... so killed my charactor... then got pulled back in when by my friends decided to create a guild... "doth" also discovered the banquet hall 'round about this time and started posting silly things like rants and rambles... so recreated my chararter name... as revery_tdc... for 'the dream continues' and 'thoughts drift continuously' which evenutally evolved into my signature....

Well hope that wasn't toooo boring for ya... but you asked... :)

revery

the dreamlost

"souls to sell, a time in hell, i wonder if we need this place..."

the dream continues...

I've always been fascinated with darkness and evil nad stuff like that, when I got this game called Diablo...

Later I played Diablo II at my friend's house on Battle.net, and I immediately picked the necromancer....

Also, I've always been fascinated by the legend of Count Dracula. Great book by Bramm Stoker, btw...

Drac's real name was Vlad Tepes, a.k.a. Vlad the Impaler, crown Prince of Romania. Also I am russian and Vladmir is a rather common name. (Vladimir I. Lenin, anybody recognize him?)

Soo... there you have it.

Well, mine is a fairly short story. I had wanted to use the name one of my rl friends used for his D&D wizard, Silvermoon, but as I soon discovered, it was taken. So I had to sit and think for a while, because I didn't want to use the same name I'm generally known by in the realm of Archmage. Then it came to me: use Blondemoon instead. It sounded good and right to me, and it fits pretty well, since I'm blonde for the time being ;):P

Degenero Angelus - The Fallen Angel, literally.

He came about after a game of.... probably ADnD, though I'm not too sure. The fact that there's darkness inside of all pure beings, and purity inside of all evil beings has always kinda interested me. The idea of playing a fallen angel who felt some remorse for what he'd lost, but was just as proud as his contemporaries caught me instantly. I've never gone back.

Zadown is an old, old nick. I picked it first time when I was just a boy and a friend of mine had this great nick Gilron Stardust or something like that. He used it in all the CRPGs and roleplaying games and whatnots, and I felt it was cool. So, during the summer '88, almost 15 years ago, when I started playing Ultima 5 I decided I will have a great nick too, one I'll ALWAYS use. It had to start with Z (cool letter, not found in finnish alphabet) and well, A is pretty close to Z on keyboard... after that just make it look like english name by adding a word, DOWN, and ye get Zadown. I would've never believed then that ALWAYS really means I'm still using the nick now that I'm old and ancient and can go to sleep whenever I please. Countless fictional characters have lived and died (most of them at least 300 times) as Zadown since, most of them humans/elves using at least some sort of magic. Zadown the Monk in BG2 was the black sheep of the brotherhood, no magic at all...

Of course, that's just the official truth about it. The unofficial... well, it involves lots of rebirts, prophets, books deleted from bible, young men with whips wearing a fedora and mythical powers. Ye see, zadown is a hebrew word meaning pride, insolence, presumptuousness and arrogance... :P

Allright here's for my nicknames.

Celes Crusader: I'm a Final Fantasy fan so I picked the first name of FF6's Celes Chere and added Crusader (a summon you can find late in FF6) as a surname. It had been put together since I needed a name for a D&D character and this is waht I thought of. It was also my first AM mage nickname. All my blue mages were named Celes Crusader.

Zakuro: Its the name of one of the female Demon in the anime Ninja Scrolls, who have an explosive temper and magic. When I first joined the Ager guild The French Miagik, I've founded out that another girl goes by the webnick of Celles. Besides the extra L and the absence of a surname, confusion was spreaded because of the similarities. The reset after, our guild leader suggested that all the french mages take a nickname from either a cartoon, anime or comic strips. I've picked up Zakuro and I decided to play red on Ager since that day. This was my Ager nick ever since, while I kept Celes Crusader for the other servers, which resulted that I was equally known under both nicks.

For anyone who might be curious about my pets' name:

Carbone: Although it could have been from the chemical element, it came from Cyrano de Bergerac's Carbon de Castelgenoux. Since she's a girl, we added an e or otherwise, in French, it would still sound like a male name (Carbon and Carbone are pronounce diffirently in French).

Cambronne: It was from General Cambronne, who's famous for his word "merde" (which means sh*t in French). The legend about this general was that he had asked to ennemy troops "Do you surrender or merde?". General Cambronne won the battle and the word "merde" is used instead of good luck in the artistic community.

I picked up the Elrond nickname from friends back in 1972, as a combination of being a Tolkien Loremaster and giving advice that turned out to be good.

Elrond Peredhil was therefore a Player Character(PC)/Non-Player Character (NPC) of mine in my first world I ran in 1978. In other words, PC for me, but NPC for others to meet. It was a strange world, mixed Tolkein and Howard's Conan.

Peredhil means "half-elf". Elrond passed from world to world, and universe to universe as I played other's worlds, in one form or another.

When I needed an internet handle, I used Peredhil - combined with the number 31, which had several connotations to me at the time.

When I hit Archmage - it coincided with the 31st world occurance of Elrond, and I already had the email account to support him.

For trivia buffs, Guido and Nuncio were picked up in about world 11 or 12. I'd have to check my records. They are Giant Guinea Pigs, licensed bodyguards from the Universe: Fractured Fairy Tales.

Way, way, way back when I was first starting Archmage (near the start of my online 'life' as it were, strangely enough.) I was sitting at a computer, trying to think of what I wanted to call my first mage. My mind ran through the traditional movie and book ripoffs, but I rejected them all, as I wanted a name that would last, not go out of style a few months later.

Out of nowhere, the word 'gyrfalcon' popped into my head. Shrugging, I set that as my mage's name, and thus Gyrfalcon was born.

In due time, I found the (old) bulletin boards, and began to post. I like to think that my first posts were not the standard newbie idiocy, and given the fact that I wasn't flamed, I assume that I asked intelligent questions. Either way, I eventually wandered into the Blitz 1 Banquet Hall. (Tzimfemme, you may or may not remember when some weird person named Gyrfalcon first showed up. ;))

There I eventually fell into a band of RPers such as LLyL, Tzimfemme, Joat, Shurak, and others. I hesitently began to join in at the outskirts of the RPs, and they accepted me. In fact, I eventually became friends with them all. So time passed, wars were waged against multimages (those who possess more then one account on the same server) and guilds (which were illegal on the server). Eventually, the new boards were formed, and the RPers of many servers found their way to the Conservatory.

I was one of those people, and I became part of a community of writers that suffered little from flamewars or spam, as I think all the big words intimidated the standard idiots who spark off those things. Eventually, I heard rumors of a writing guild called The Pen is Mighter Than the Sword. I actually investigated the first humble board, but with my duties in the Archmage forums and the number of stories I was engaged in, I decided not to join.

Yet more time passed, and once again, I heard word of the Pen, risen once more. This time, I decided to investigate (especially when I found out that Bards of Terra got free membership. ;)) and joined. I've been here ever since. ^_^

*looks above* So this is... the history of Gyrfalcon as a writer. The character himself slowly formed through the RPs I engaged in, first as a mighty mage and warrior, then stripped of his magic as I sought to balance him and make him more... 'real'. The last name is a spur of the moment creation, but serves well.

Thus, I am Gyrfalcon No'Dessu. the half-elf bows I think you for listening to my rambling.

My name - Impostor - likewise came through archmage. I was in a really very bad guild and our supposedly secure message boards were beset by an impostor. Well, we moved them soimewhere else, naturally, but then some guy with a sense of humour - which was frowned upon then - pretended to be that impostor - imposted the impostor if you will. To me that seemed very mind-bendy (that's a word!!) and funny, so I've used it for message boards for AM-related things since (I don't think I ever used it in AM - or maybe I did once).

Rezure (rhymes with unsure) just sounded cool, but later I figured out if read wrong it was creepily close to crappy 80's band Erasure, so...

Impostor

I can see a better time when all our dreams come true

Way way back when, back in the mists of time when I first moved here, my friend introduced me to Archmage, and I quickly became addicted...that was about...lesse here. I'm a junior - 11th grade, and I moved here in sixth...hmm...like 5 years ago. Anyway, I played for about four years running (!) and eventually quit after a brief flash of courage known as The Hunters, a Guild-allliance dedicated to destroying multimages. Eventually the Hunters died out, but not before we struck fear into MMs everywhere...or at least on blitz guild. Anyway, way back when I first needed a username, I sat and thought about it for quite a long time. At this point in time, I had been looking up japanese names, and I combined Shin (King) and Ryu (Dragon) and created Shinryu, the Dragon King or King of Dragons...actually now I think Shin no King would be King of Dragons, but back then my usage of the japanese language was really poor.

William Azunost came out of the story A Game of Chess: Tale of the Five Rings that I had been writing. It's still in existence, though I haven't touched it lately...anyway, I thought of a name that combined William (My name, I wanted to be in my own story) and Azure, which was a really cool name for blue, one of my favorite colors. Eventually I created William Azurest, and when that sounded funny, William Azunost.

Cioden was a stroke of pure genius on my part. I've never heard of the name before, and I've never heard of it before. By the way, that's See-O-Den, not Sy-O-Den. Anyway, he started out as Cioden Cabot (That's Ca-Bow), then changed to Cioden Darkeye and it's stuck ever since. I still don't know where I made up the name, but it's cool and I like it and it's staying.

Falcon2001 was because I've always really loved falcons, etc, and at the time didn't know about Gyrfalcon or I might have chosen something more...original. Anyway, Falcon by itself wasn't taken in the beginning at the AMBB, but I lost my password for Falcon and had to create a new account - Falcon2001. Thus begins a saga.

Nathan Dionysus, used in one RP, was created because I wanted a biblical-sounding name that wasn't too ostentacious. Nathan may not be biblical, but the entire effect of the name is nice. Dionysus is a mispelling of the Greek God of Wine, btw, and it just sounded nice. BTW, he's a Vampire Hunter - I originally wanted to call him Vincent, but originality reared it's ugly head.

Well everyone here likes to read, or atleast has read one book and therefore they know where my name comes from.. The DragonLance serious.. Now why would I pick the kender, when I could be an elf, or the dwarve, or hell, even Caramon, but the truth is, though they are great characters, I was not eniterlly intrigued by their characters as I was by Tasslehoff Burrofoot.. he made me laugh, and at many time, I knew exactly how he felt, how he had gotten in such a position, in other words, I related very well, and plus, I was sick and tired of playing Legend of The Dragoon ( such my AM name begins with Lavitz ) and I needed something new.. =D

The Kender :ph34r:

Valdar. . .Valdar, where did Valdar come from?

It wasn't *that* long ago that I was playing archmage under the name of 'Mad Jedi'. I was a guildleader back then, in the murks of blitz 2. (Blitz Guilded, now) His name, and history were made up from the cloth as I somehow managed to stray into ager 1.

You see, my guild had several major problems (long story). A friend or two introduced me to one camp terra, and it was there that I first encountered the Legion of the White Rose, which I have recently had falling outs with.

In any case, I was awfully impressed back then, and I decided to join them to learn more about the game, and perhaps managing a guild. However, one does not simply walk in with a name such as 'Mad Jedi'.

It was in IRC that the first incarnations of Valdar first appeared, surrounded by 'big people' such as Tzimfemme (whom I didn't know Rydia and Minta were part of, then) and Gyrfalcon. The first Valdar was a human, an archangel sent back from the dead to do a god's bidding. The resonances from my first choice are still sorta haunting me, and is getting me stuck in Valdar's first story (The first scars, still incomplete).

Anyway, sometime or another, some scoundrel came along and changed me into an elf. How about *that*? In time, however, I built a new story about Valdar 2.0, though it's still a tad messed.

Astralis started as a human inventor, changed to gnome eventually.

Waterlily is the only 'toon I kept totally intact.

By the way, Rune, I never knew you played EQ-what's your character name? I assume you're on Sol Ro like the rest of us, since you mentioned the Legion. Unless you've completeley stopped, that is.

Ah, so many names, so little time... oh wait, I've got plenty of time... heh...

Well, my main name, BigPointyStick, is kinda stupid. Basically, it all started off when a friend of mine and I would be talking about stuff, and if there was something or someone we didn't like, or just to be silly, we'd say we'd hit it with a big pointy stick. Then I got introduced to Battle.net. (This was around grade 10... Tamaranis was there with me ^.^ In fact, it was his computer...) I started to rp in the Town Square channel (Old Diablo I channel...) under the name, and started using other various names. My first major rping name would be Sliver, which I named after the Slivers in M:tG... I really liked those things, and still do. Rocoss and Roxxia are just random names... although a little known fact for those who know my characters, in an RP Rocoss actually just used to be an inept human warrior as compared to his current Elf-Ranger-mentor-guy... anywhoo, Mr.Bunny is Mr.Bunny, all the Archmagers from the ol' Conservatory know that story, as it started there.... erm, Popku, my Moogle-Jedi is just a mispelling of one of the moogles from FF6. Speaking of FF6, my e-mail is a combination of Atma from ff6, and sliver... I started using that as my rping tag for yahoo (which sucks for live rping, by the way...) but he wasn't that good of a character, as he was basically The Atma weapon, but not so bestial... in fact, he held a human form most of the time.

Yeah, so that's that ;)

Hmmm... Well, when I registered for the Archmage Universal Bulletin Boards a while back, I noticed a sort of lack of villainous characters... So I decided to create a dragonic character minus all of the positive traits a dragon has, yet retaining the selfish and greedy elements common in most red dragons. First species that came to mind was the wyvern, which just sorta stuck from that point onward...

I forget the precise manner in which I chose this name for Archmage... but the choice of Canid was a natural one.

My character was a wolf...

I like Latin...

Wolves are Canids (members of the Canidae family)...

Scientific names are Latin...

My name was Canid. :) ...given, it is rather like naming her Wolf (which I think might be what I tried first on Archmage - for shame -_-) but Scientific names not being what the general population takes note of, I can get away with it. :ph34r:

*Canid starts jumping in the air and shouting out seemingly random words that spark recognition in someone here and there*

Vulpes, pictus, lycanon, lupus, rufus, ursidae, felidae, notophthalmus!

My way has been already described by reverie who came to his name in a similar manner, so I'll keep this short, but...

In 98, which seems the most popular year to start names, I got a hotmail account, but it had my real name on it, so pretty soon after I got a yahoo account. It had to have an interesting name I decided so I, being it appears pitiably uncreative at the time, looked for a little heard of character in Tolkien whose name I could borrow. At first I tried all the female elves, but they were all taken, and I didn't want to put a number behind it. Finally however I tried approximately ever little known character in Tolkien, (this frustrating matter took more than one of my break periods that I had in school) and every single one of them was taken. I was determined to be one of them now though, I'd spent too much time to start my thinking over, so I just picked the one that I'd most recently tried, Gwaihir, the name of the Lord of the Eagles in Tolkien, and stuck a 1 behind it. The yahoo account has changed, but Gwaihir remained.

I have morphed a little though. I joined Archmage that summer as Gwaihir, and eventually came to IRC. Of course my regged name was Gwaihir, but I began to be ashamed that I had not made up my own name, and hadn't even altered the name I'd borrowed, (I get ashamed by odd things : ) so I was quite pleased when I noticed that many people called me Gwai for short. A little bit later I lost my regged name and had to do it again (as a point in fact I finally regged so that I could try to get The Pen's chat room in IRC a Q), I regged it as Gwai, and that's been what I introduce myself as everywhere on the net. I'm Gwaihir to most people here, because that's what most people know me as, and I've gotten over being embarassed by the name....I'm just too used to it, now I just nudge my sister when Gandalf says the name Gwaihir in the extended version of LoTR1 :P.

While I have no connection to the Archmage or Everquest online worlds, my name does have a roleplaying background – it’s the name of the character I created to play on the IronWorks gaming roleplaying forum a while back. As the character himself is a grim and quiet man wandering in exile and looking to return home [Yes, I do enjoy the Odyssey that much *LOL*] to the stormswept mountains of his people, I wanted a name that was evocative of a simple strength and an affinity for storms and Cyril Darkcloud seemed to fit the bill rather nicely.

Pissy!! I just had this huge long post replying to everyone's names when my computer went wacko and deleted all of it. Damn!!

Peredhil and Gwaihir, the main point was that I knew I'd heard your names somewhere before. I've been harrying my LOTR friends and they were vaguely of the impression they'd heard the words before. But we couldn't quite place it. Now it hits me; you're Tolkein fans! Acutally, I'm planning to use "Gwaihir" in one of my upcoming fics. It just sounds cool on the tongue.

Anyways, Rhapsody is plagarized off of Elizabeth Haydon's bestselling fantasy trilogy that includes Rhapsody, Child of Blood, Prophecy, Child of Earth, and Destiny, Child of Sky. Rhapsody is a unique girl of Lirin blood, which is Haydon's equivalent of fey. The Lirin live on the isle of Serendair, and supposedly came from the stars, as is evident in Serendair. She met her soulmate through a twist of Fate, or Time, to put it in Haydon's terms. But he was returned to the future and she was left devastated, so much so that she made a pitiable living as a whore. Now Lirin have several special traits. A Singer, such as Rhapsody was, studies music and sings vespers every morning and evening to the rise and fall of the Sun. Also, being of Namer blood, Rhapsody is physically and pyschologically incapable of telling a lie. Rhapsody's life took a severe downturn when she was kidnapped by two otherworldly creatures and the trio fled into the root of the World Tree, Saiga, whose roots bisect the earth. Something happened through the 14-century journey that made Rhapsody 1) immortal 2) of the element of Fire 3) irresistably beautiful, so much so that she must tie her hair back in a black ribbon to keep from being mauled, and 4) in sore need of a bath. Events transpire and Rhapsody eventually is reunited with her lover from 14 lifetimes ago and ends up using her powers as a warrior, mage, Singer, and healer to save the world from the fiery clutches of the F'dor. In the end, she is married to her lover, who just happens to be the long-lost crown prince of the nation. So she becomes royalty in the end, but is cursed to be barren, or so the legend goes....

Am in the middle of Haydon's fourth book, Reqiuem for the Sun and in the process of finding out whether or not 1) the F'dor is truly vanquished and 2) if the Seer's enigmatic words of death-bearing childbirth really relate to Rhapsody.

The "Maverick Muse" part of my name comes from my obsession with writing of course as a source of inspiriation and the unconventional image I try to bring to every field I work in. Plus, I'm a hardcore fan of the Dallas Mavericks, and have a username of "Muse" on one of the music boards I'm at.

Will shut up now as have SAT's to study for. 8:00am is an inhumane hour for standardized testing, especially on a Saturday! Am off to pout. :P