The silouhettes won’t break

Knowing that their source of light

Rests on a birthday cake.

And as Pen members greet fair Yui

Conjoined in joyous cause

They wish her all a happy day

While their shadows give applause.

;-)

Happy birthday, Yui-chan! :) While I could go on for ages about how your writing and artistic talent deserve threads of praise all to themselves, I’d like to use this thread to thank you for being a kind and caring friend as well as a devoted Pen Elder. I hope you have an excellent birthday, and that your wishes are realized…

Having said this, Wyvern fishes through his pockets for the shadow giftwrapping paper promised in the thread title. Handing Yui what appears to be a large quantity of thin air, the overgrown lizard assures her that it's simply the light playing tricks on her eyes. Snickering to himself, the lizard then bows to Yui and dashes off to find an infared camera in the hopes of taking some pictures of shadows clapping and selling them to the creators of The X-Files...

YUI-CHAN! What a lovely day!!

Happy Birthday!! I'm so glad I had a moment to check the boards and didn't miss this! You are such a wonderful person, and full of SOOO much endless talent. I admire your work and hope some of that "Yui-Mojo" rubs off on me!!

*smiles offering Yui some fresh picked flowers*

~Salinye :butterfly:

From out of his shadowy alcove, Brute makes an appearance, the first in perhaps months. The tall, pale mage lumbers over to Yui-chan and bows before her, presenting a gift. His deep voice rumbles softly, "Happy birthday, kiddo. If I'd have been a little less excited about the trip, I may have remembered and given you a real gift. My apologies." Brute's ebony eyes twinkle with mirth as Yui examines her gift...a sturdy car-jack. "Just in case," he says with a grin.

Happy birthday, Yui! I hope you and Aegon have a great time!

Gyrfalcon finally gets to the head of the long, long line of well-wishers and bows deeply to Yui-chan. "Happy birthday, Yui-chan!" he says happily, handing her a small gift-wrapped package.

Yui-chan unwrapped the small box at the half-elf's insistence to reveal a pair of black pearl earrings. "They're not enchanted, but I choose them because they're also known as shadow pearls." the half-elf explained, sweeping into another bow. "Happy birthday to you, Yui-chan." he said with a grin before yielding his place to another well wisher.

As he left, he heard Yui-chan say to Aegon "And what did you get me?"

His keen ears even heard Aegon's muttered "Uh oh..."

*Merelas smiles, and take's Gyr's place at the fornt of the line, and bows*

A very merry birthday to you, Yui-chan. Although I don't know you particularly well, I have a gift for you, all the same.

*A small, very ornate box is presented, with a latch on the side facing Yui*

If you open it, you will find several different types of charcoal, molded into sticks, and sharpened, as well as a small knife for that purpose. It was meant for your drawing, which you have a great talent for.

A happy birthday, again! :D

Happy Birthday Yui,

I hope you had a wonderful day. :)

Cerulean smiles softly at the huntress. Some distance away, Harpy totters about with a bottle of bubbly under one arm, and a gift-wrapped inflatable Aegon under the other. Scarlett is busily rotating a map. "If I didn't know better", she muses, "I'd swear Cery had given me the wrong directions..."

Edited by Cerulean

A peice of paper floats down from the ceiling, and gently lands in front of Yui. As the huntress bends down to pick it up, she looks at all the people, and wonders where the paper could have come from.

Hard to the touch, with fancy red lettering, the card reads:

Celebrations are for those who have something to celebrate.

You have earned this.

Pondering the meaning of this message, Yui looks up and sees Vlad standing before her. The vampire bows and presents her with an very long and thin dagger made of dull ivory. As her hand accepts the present with a healthy dose of confusion, Vlad (almost) silently makes an exit.

Looking back at the weapon, Yui sees it become jet black in her hands.

• 4 weeks later...

Nearly a month later, Yui-chan sat in the library of the Pen, quietly sipping tea from her favorite seat beneath the stained-glass window and enjoying the first truly quiet moment she'd had since the day before her birthday. The past few weeks tumbled and tossed in a corner of her mind, a thousand new things to learn, new faces, new places, and new experiences dancing a mad jig in an attempt to capture her attention. For now, though, she was firmly ignoring the chaos of the move to reflect on the touching party her friends had thrown her what seemed like a lifetime ago.

If only I'd had more time to stay and enjoy the day with them... she lamented, reaching up to gently brush the smooth nubs of the black pearls decorating her ears. It was an old regret, though, and she'd become good at burying it beneath the enjoyment of the time she could gather with her good friends. She drew up the memory of all the smiles in the room, all the hugs and wishes and warm hearts and good friends, both old and new, and the beauty of it all eased the tension in her shoulders. The charcoals and dagger she'd received had helped her survive the four weeks she'd been away from the haven of the Pen by defending her from both the rough places of her new home and the rough handling from her stifled Muse, but it was the love of her friends and the love she felt for them that had buoyed her in the uncertain and worryful moments of every day away. For that and so much more, she treasured every soul in those hallowed halls, taking joy in all of their quirks and strengths and weaknesses, in the smallest details of their lives.

Temae Yui smiled with her heart in her eyes as she opened the Paths through the Shadows, twisting them in subtle ways to amplify the anonymous sounds of the Pennites as they moved through their day. Boots on the marble floor of the Conservatory. The echo of a guitar being strummed in the east wing. The ring of metal on metal as friends practiced in the sparring theater. A burst of uproarous laughter from the Cabaret Room. A grumble of impatience from the Recruiter's Office. The whisper of a quill as it scratched its way across a piece of parchment. The electric sizzle of a cantrip taking form. The sweet song of the birds in the Courtyard. Together they formed a symphony of inexpressible depth, a song of such subtle overtones and thunderous rhythms that it would take a lifetime to decipher and an eternity to truly appreciate. There was no better balm for a weary soul, and the Huntress lounged back in her seat to simply listen and absorb and cherish all that was around her.

After a moment of silence, she opened her mouth to add her breathy whisper back into the score. "I thank you, dear friends, from the bottom of my unworthy heart. You will never know all that you do for me."