The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Why are you here?

Vlad

-OR-

Why do you write?

I'll start...

I write because I sometimes have too many emotions to express with words.

Also because When reading a book (a good book) I feel guilty about taking it writing and not giving anything back to the world.

Why on the internet?

Because most of the people I know I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing all of my works with, but I still want to get better.

Also I don't think teachers teach the right things about writing fiction or poetry, so whenever I recieve praise on my work I feel spiteful towards them. Kind of childish but eh...

I could take the easy way outta this and blame it on Zool. Or Peredhil. It IS their fault ;).

But I'm not gonna.

I write because... it's what I do. I live for poetry. It's what I'm good at. The emotions I write run through my veins, they throb in my head. When I write them down and share them it's like giving away a peice of my soul. I've had times when I haven't written anything at all, and, if you ask anyone who was around during those times, they'll tell you. I was miserable. All the emotions that aren't being shared, bottling up inside of me.

I'm prolly weird for it. I need to write. If not for a my writing, I'd probably be dead now. I used to just write things on paper and sit them in my closet. Now I'v4e got places to share them. People who read them, and enjoy them. I can ask for help with getting better at what I love doing. None of my friends really understand. I show them what I write, sometimes, but they don't get it. They can get their emotions out in other ways. I can't. My pen and my paper. They're my only release. Otherwise I just have nowhere for the words to go.

Of course, I also write for the people who enjoy it. For every person who's ever read a poem of mine and smiled, or cried. Everyone I've ever touched with my writing.

.. you asked..

I write to get the stories out of my head. As long as I can remember, I've had different narratives running through my head. Writing is basically my way of cleaning house, moving the old aside to make way for the new. And every once in a while, there's a story that's just burning to get out or an image that needs to be scribbled down, and I can't think properly about anything else until I commit it to paper (or a hard drive).

As for why I'm here...I tried to leave once and I kinda ground to a halt. I think that whatever muscle that you use for writing needs to be exercised, needs to be used in different ways to prevent it from getting lax. The Pen (especially the RPs) help me to do this. This place is my muse.

Why am I here?

Why do I write?

Now THERE's a question. :) I gotta say, thanks for asking. It's a good one. In fact, they're both good questions. And, believe it or not, they have two different answers for me.

Why do I write?

:lol: Well why not? How can anyone not want to create? The beauty, the splender, the... wonder that is Art. Something that I could never fathom, is why someone wouldn't want to be a part of something that I can't ever even do justice explaining... How someone wouldn't want to be a part of that... experience. I wish I had the talent to express it in other ways - to draw, to paint, just a couple of ways. But through written word is how I'll do it, and be contented, for now, with doing so.

Imagination, emotion, feelings... Like I said, :P there aren't the words (ironically enough) to properly describe life, art, creation, interpretation, understanding and the relationship that they all hold together. But I know that when I write, I'm a part of that, and I love it.

:)

Why am I here?

Look around. Again - why not? I like literature. Granted, sometimes I have to push myself to read it, and to write it, but at the end of the day around those I know, writing means more to me. This community creates an environment where I can read, write, share and get to know people easily, and I never feel pressured to actually do anything - it's at my leisure.

So, I was led here by personal friends, and now I feel like I know some people here - and so I stay. I know it doesn't sound like the be all and end all of reasons, but it is enough, right?

So there you have it. Thanks for asking, and I hope you enjoyed the answer. I look forward to hearing some of the other ones.

Yours,

- Justin

Off the net, I write to express my self and partially because I love too. Though I have lot's of friends who enjoy fics, so in part I write for other people's enjoyment. Other times there are things that bother me and free writing gets it out onto the paper.

But, why I write on the net. Heh, it's a comfort thing.

I write because I wanted a place where I can equally express myself in both English and French. The Internet opened lots of minds toward "foreign" languages and this is a great window to prove that. A froend of mine opened up the way by reclaiming a place where French writers will feel free to write their feeling in their mother tongue. I wish that I can see works in Spanish, German, etc in the Manor of Tongues.

Also, it helps me greatly to improve my vocabulary in Shakespeare's tongue while keeping polishing my skills in Molière's.

Muses very briefly.

I write because I must. I'm a person who will occasionally spontaneously start talking in rhyme or haiku. Just happens.

I write here for the people. The Pen is a place where people can grow. Stretch their comfort zones, dare to be vulnerable and trust that others will not hurt them unduly.

It's all about the people...

Big hugs to everyone

Why are you here?

I'm here, in fact, because Peredhil had it in his profile..and well frankly im nosey and just clicked on the link.

So the real question then is Why did I stay?

Mainly cause I like how the pen runs. It's a hard thing to post your emotion in the form of a poem or story and have people critque it. It's even harder when you lack confidence. I see the pen as a way for people to not only display their work but to gain the confidence they need to improve. You cannot improve on something if you do not think you are getting better. *brings back her circle analogy* If you want to practice drawing circles, in truth the 200th circle might not be any better than the first..but because you are concious of the time and effort put into practicing, you believe that it is more perfect.

Why do you write?

This one is harder. I write because I have alot to say. I write because I can put my feelings into words and reread them several times to ensure that they are what I want to say. I write because my voice falls on deaf ears and I want to be heard. I write to entertain others or to record something of the past. I write because I am but one in a world of millions, and it's my own small way of leaving a mark after I am gone. And I write because once written, words become materialistic and I can hold onto them to help provide support for myself.

I write cause, to releave stress... And it gives me that warm feeling inside, when i look back and say "ooo, look what i did"

I write on the internet, cause i'm starved for good convesation.

I write on the pen... cause was invited... and is fun...

rev...

Edited by reverie

* wanders in and sits in the booth. Slowly reading over the material, the kender leans slightly back in his chair and ponders the thought.. after a few minutes, he picks up his quill, and writes a story, a story about his past, which every kender is good at *

As always, my story is a sad story. I never really wrote, I hated English class [still do] and well, I couldnt rhyme, and my [old] belief was poems had to rhyme, had to make since.. But anywho, on with it, Life was going great, my girlfriend and I where just going on 5 months, and I loved this girl, she was my soulmate [or so I though] and well, all of a sudden, the sky darken'd, the rain started pouring so hard, and the storm hit me.. We broke up, out of the blue.. No rhyme or reason. I was devistated, and I straight plummited into depression. All I thought about was death, hatred and anything else that comes with that blacken'd rose. There seemed to be no escape, and then one day, after a huge argument with my ex, [whom I still love deep down to this day] I went home, and it was late, like 4AM, I couldnt sleep, so I grabbed a piece of paper, and scribble down some harsh lines [searches through files to find first lines] and I came up with this:

I sit here. Hand to knife. Knife to heart

What holds me back? Is a mere memory of someone special.

Yet each breathe that I take. Meant to be last.

Is only part of the newest beginning?

I listen to false promises of life, happiness...

Yet the love I wish for evades me...

Runs from me like darkness from light.

Break away, I fall! Falling away from the sky, falling to HELL!

Take me back, I ask to be with you, not with out you!

I will go anywhere to be with you, way up high, down low,

I never took, but I gave, let me take!

Don't run away; don't leave me with out hope!

The sacrifices I have shown!!

And well, it relieved me a bit, I felt free. I didnt understand but I just embraced because it gave me life. I felt whole again, and so each time I get even remotly to that point, I try to write, if not on paper or pen, then in my head and I feel relaxed. Why on the internet? Well, some people say I have talent, and well, I come to the internet, because if my parents saw some of this, they would kill me, and I always feel my friends just say its good, cause we are friends.

*with that said the kender slowly signs the bottom of his paper, re-reads it once or twice, slowly wiping away the tears from the drudged up memours of the past.. After puttin the chair back in its place, the kender slowly rises up, inserts his writing into the designated slot and drapes his hood over his head, covering up his swaying topknot, and heads out into the cold rainy nights of the past *

as one of your friends Tass, i say ur poems are great, especially this time.. i can feel your pain, and you know mine very well also.., keep writing, cuz if you dont, literature will have a void in it somewhere.

As for me, i always loved to write poems, i usually hate readings poems that dont rhyme (with an few exceptions of course ;) ) hehe well, as many people know, im a poet who loves to rhyme.. so :) i also like writing stories of fantasy :P HEHEHE welll thats me!

In response to Tasslehoff, I can understand how you feel about feeling depressed, and all... I won't get specific, since this is a public site, but I feel for you.

When I was a sophomore, I was really in a tight situation in my home life and my social life (or controlling abusive ex) and writing seemed to be my last resort for self expression. I realized that I had a degree of talent and I could create pieces that weren't so depressing, and it as a tool, actually PULLED me out in a way. Now, as a senior after a junior year of recovery, I write as a stress release, but also as a passion and a way to explore myself and other people.

I see the Pen as a place to expand, and I am learning more about myself through my writing and others too.

I was never really "computer/internet" smart and so I never actually knew there were forums like this. but I am lucky to have found my second home. (My first one is Nyyark's Nest), So now, I am able to express all the other emotions I posess as well. I hope that you can overcome the suffering you are going through, and be a happier person BECAUSE of the Pen.

I write because I am a very emotionally intense person, and I cannot withhold increased amounts in my mind/body/soul or I will explode. So I can write as a medium of emotional art. I create pieces that I can appreciate and also aim to either enjoy or improve. I visualize the threee passions of my life: Writing, Theater, and Art as crafts of exploration and I am even more satisfied the more I contribute to each one in my life. SO I write because it is a passion and a life tool.

• 4 months later...

Thinking is a process

Speaking is a link

Debating is a strife

Crying is a release

Sleeping is a quiescence

Dreaming is an inspiration

Breathing is a requisite

Eating is a restoration

Running is an escape

Swimming is a discipline

Reading is an enlightenment

Playing (music) is a catharsis

Writing is all of the above

Writing is life

The Pen is my haven

The Pen is my heaven

Amen

Why am I here?

Because a friend told me about this place after I forced him to read what I wrote (I think it got him off the hook) and I've never seen anything like this on the net before, I feel comfortable here and everyone is so nice, I'd like to be around a long time.

Why do I write?

When I was nine a teacher told me I had talent, but I was nine and poetry was not cool so I ignored everything he tried to tell me and continued to be myself. Then as I got older I used to store my emotions inside and they got so big and intense, they needed a release. When I was thirteen I wrote a very depressing poem that an older person sent to a biker magazine for some reason, but they refused to believe a thirteen year old wrote it and wouldn't print it, fearing that it had been plagerised from somewhere.

I continued to write after that but only for myself and my friends. I found when someone was going through a hard time I could not walk up to them and hug them, but I could write a poem to them expressing how I felt and I have been doing that ever since. Now if I need to say something to someone and I can't find the words, I let my hands find them for me, be it in a book or on a computer.

Truth is, I love to write. My poems come very fast, stories not so easily, which is why those are few and far between. I'll always write, because I can. Even if it doesn't always come out perfect, it comes out and it's mine and no one can ever take away my writing and to me that's the important thing.

Oh my, I should shut up, well, you asked! :)

Rhapsody,

That is beautiful, absolutely beautiful:

"Thinking is a process

Speaking is a link

Debating is a strife

Crying is a release

Sleeping is a quiescence

Dreaming is an inspiration

Breathing is a requisite

Eating is a restoration

Running is an escape

Swimming is a discipline

Reading is an enlightenment

Playing is a catharsis

Writing is all of the above

Writing is life"

That's it. That's it exactly.

Amen. :D

The literary voyage never ends with a completed work, but is furthered by the suplementary need for knowledge; you can learn so much about yourself and the world around you by expressing yourself, emotionaly or just through your ideas. It is that developement that drives me to proceed; the gentle croon of possibility, an artistic masterpiece on the horrizon... sometimes almost too far away to see, but always within reach.

Also, that sense of completion when you do finally finish a work; that is another boon worth striving for.

And reaction. The most pety of my literary needs, how others will respond. It allows me to furhter myself as a writter. The harsh criticism can hurt sometimes, but is the best in allowing growth.

These and more are the reasons I write, and also the reasons I'm here. The atmosphere is magnificent, and the people are perhaps the greatest teachers I've encountered. The air of tallent in this establishment is undeniable and prevailent, yet another reason for my wish to be here.

These is more... I'm sure there is, but that will have to come in a later installment.

Regards,