The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The willow tree

Rune

hehe, this one was for fun. Its a conversation between two people, one is a dreamer, the other is more of an analytical person.

the willow tree

it calls my name.

how can that be?

it has no voice, it cannot say.

it simply sways.

It simply sways?

You dare not say.

listen to it..

hear it?

feel it?

the willow tree

it calls my name.

you must agree

its plain as day.

i do not hear

i must confess

i really fear

i do digress

that tree you speak

is very meek

it does not say

it simply sways.

i give up

your blind to see

the voice this tree

has given me

this tree it speaks

it calls my name

and tells me things

to write and say

If you listen

maybe the tree

will share with you

its misery

or even its hope

and plans for today

then you will see

and then agree

it does much more

than simply sway

this willow tree

will call your name.

Edited by Rune

Scarlett throws the paper bag off her head and speedily dons her Wood Nymph outfit. Sashaying and preening to a random audience of two squirrels and a deaf vole, she hazards a spell of air-guitar, trips over her ego, looks round hurriedly in case anyone has seen her, then belts out some Rush lyrics:

"There is unrest in the forest,

There is trouble with the trees,

For the maples want more sunlight

And the oaks ignore their pleas.

The trouble with the maples,

(And they're quite convinced the're right)

They say the oaks are just too lofty

And they grab up all the light.

But the oaks can't help their feelings

If they like the way they're made.

And they wonder why the maples

Can't be happy in their shade.

So the maples formed a union

And demanded equal rights.

"These oaks are just too greedy;

We will make them give us light."

Now there's no more oak oppression,

For they passed a noble law,

And the trees are all kept equal

By hatchet, axe, and saw."

After the song is done, and the vole has limped off muttering, Harpy is still busy tweaking a leaf over her cleavage and dodging acorns thrown by the squirrel ensemble, when she spies a shadow, where no shadow had formerly resided. She makes eye-contact with a knotty branch, blinks, cranes her neck upwards, only to see a rather angry looking Willow tree bearing a small demoness on a bobbing twig.

"Willows, however" she continues without missing a beat. "Willows, unlike those rabble-rousing Maples, or those light-sucking Oaks are the absolute monarchy. The wisest, the noblest, the most courageous of all trees..."

Cerulean laughs long and hard at the spectacle of Scarlett being plucked off the ground, twirled around several times by a graceful Willow limb, and released like a small red pea from an expert shooter.

OOC - Loved the poem Rune, more please! :)

I really love this poem, Rune. I can imagine this as a Native American chant. I can see this as recited with some spiritual flute music in the background. I think this is so much like me, and it's great to find someone who is similiar to me. :)

Oh, but Gyrfalcon, every tree speaks, if one just listens. Maybe they don't speak as much to half breeds though.

A light happy, cool poem ;)

The half-elven ranger grins "Indeed, Gwaihir, and I can hear the trees occasionally- though they talk much more often to druids then to rangers. We tend to tend the creatures of the forest rather then the trees. However, I was noting that I want to meet this willow specifically.

Oh wow... How'd I miss this before, Rune? It's a beautiful piece. :)

I always tell my RL friends that one day I want all of their favorite / best / most familiar poetry printed and hand-signed for my own collection (half because it's all good stuff that really moves me one way or the other, and half because I'm convinced that they're all going to be rich with their talent one day. :P ). This is certainly one that I'd love in that collection.

It's quaint and fun, and, yet still is very thoughtful. Yes, I'm glad I caught it this time around (I think it was the little heart emoticon thingy) :)

Thank you very much for sharing.

- Justin