The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Happy Birthday!

Annael

K, I'm going to have to step in here and wish a very happy birthday to Gyrfalcon. I know that Peredhil does all this, but I couldn't resist. You see, I have a special gift for Gyr....and it goes something like this.....

Annael motions her butterflies to bring a package over to Gyrfalcon and watches as they lightly lower the little box into Gyr's open palm. Gyrfalcon opens it slowly and watches a tiny little blue and purple butterfly flutter up and out of the box, circle his head and land softly on his left shoulder.

You braved my butterflies more then once, and you always take such good care of my wings. I thought that the perfect gift would be to give you wings of your own. I can't give you wings such as mine, for those are not something within my power to give, but I promise you that this butterfly will never leave your side. It will also remind you of how beautiful life is when times get a little dark....soo....I'm just going to stop jabbering now and let the rest of the Pen family give you their wishes :) Happy Birthday, my friend.

Big birthday hugs for one of the other Half-Elves here

Birthday hugs for the Demi-God I cheer

Birthday hugs for an Elder of Repute

Birthday hugs and here's a bag of loot!

Happy Birthday Gyrfalcon.

When you were a Conservatory Moderator at the UBB, you were one of the ones that always made me feel welcome and appreciated.

I appreciate you right back!

-Peredhil

Wyvern swiftly dashes into the Cabaret Room and bows to Gyrfalcon, wishing the almighty Spoony Bard a very Happy Birthday before rummaging through his pockets in search of something... Pulling out yet another I.O.U for his Conservatory damage debt, Wyvern happily hands it to Gyrfalcon, who then proceeds to add it to an ever-growing mountain of papers labeled "Wyvern I.O.Us" which he owned. Noticing that the Demi-God already has an excess supply of I.O.Us, the overgrown lizard rummages through his pockets once again and quickly pulls out a sealed scroll. Handing it to Gyrfalcon, the birthday Bard raises a brow at the gift curiously and mutters:

"What's this Wyvern? A spell of some sort?"

Wyvern shakes his head and snickers, responding:

"Nope... it's a scroll long enough to keep track of all my debts!"

Having said this, the overgrown lizard lets out a sinister laugh and exits the Cabaret Room by means of the nearest window, shattering it in the process... Gyrfalcon sighs and opens his new scroll, quickly writing "broken window" on the top...

;p

OOC: Hope you had a great 19th birthday, Gyr. :) Best wishes.

Before Canid even had her head in the door, a large, furry gray spider with a nose had rushed in, breathing noisily in admiration of the beautifull butterflies.

Canid pranced in, in time to see her pet spider race up Gyrfalcon's arm and give his new butterfly a four-legged hug.

Canid had a plant pot made of living vines dangling from her jaws. In it was a very ordinary looking plant with the exception of the fact that its leaves were blue.

"I think you'll find that usefull." she said happily, placing it at Gyrfalcon's feet.

"Happy birthday!"

Gyrfalcon smiles and motions for the butterfly to *not* maul the spider as it lets go. Instead, the butterfly swoops around it a few times before settling on the potted vine. "Thank you, Canid, for the potted vine. It will be nice to have something green in my room, near the window I think."

The half-elf then exclaims "Whoot!" as he is hugged by Alaeha, and he hugs back. "Thank you for your birthday wishes, Alaeha."

He then walks to the window and looks down to see Wyvern sticking feet-first out of one of rosebushes under the window. Wincing, Gyrfalcon shook his head. "Thank you for the everlasting scroll of debt-tracking, Wyvern! With you, I think it will be put to very good use."

"Vlad and Zool, thank you also for your wishes. As well to you Peredhil- I thank you for your birthday wishes and for the poem. And you are always welcome and appreciated wherever I am!"

"Finally, Annael, thank you for your gift." He looks a little nervous at the butterfly. "Hopefully, we'll get along as well as you and your butterflies do. " he says with a smile.

Gyrfalcon reaches out and polishes Annael's halo a little brighter before turning to the community at large. "Thank you one and all, for your gifts and words of well wishing. I had an excellent birthday, and you were part of that. Thank you!"

Psimon rushes in, late as ever these days, crashes into the door frame, staggers away, trips over his robes, falls flat on his face at The Spoony Bard's feet, and finishes with his face planted in Gyrfalcon's foot

Hmmffhy brrffttiy....

raises his head a little and tries again

Er, sorry... um... Happy Birthday Noble Elder, Spoony Bard, O' He of a thousand words where one will do ;)

I, er... have here a rare and wonderful thing, er... I mean, gift. Yes, gift. Late, yes... but nonetheless rare and er... wonderful...

rummages in his robes whilst remaining prone - a rather undignified sight, to be sure, and no doubt would be misconstrued in less polite company as being something completely untoward and base, though of course we all know Psimon better than that, don't we?

Now where is it? Ah, here we are!

holds up a small black box

It's a sneeze & mumble, do you like it? I though you might, so when I saw it in the bazaar on sale at half a copper I said to myself, 'Psimon my old son, that's a bargain and no mistake' and I... er.... No, What I meant to say was; when I saw it in the Death Lord's treasure pile, and having just slain him, with consumate ease I might add, I said to myself, 'Psimon, that would make a perfect gift for someone very special. And so here it is, and here you are, and here am I. On the floor..... begging your forgiveness for being late to wish you a very Happy Birthday and to pile blessings and special wishes upon you. Yes.

OOC: Sorry Gyr... I truly am. Best belated wishes from NZ, my friend. Glad to hear it went so well :D

*Gwaihir rushes in. It's not clear whether he's running or falling forwards, but he's clearly in a hurry.

Whoooph he trips over his own feet and if Gyrfalcon is a little bit surprised to find the clumsiest elf in the keep sprawled at his feet well, so is Gwaihir.

"Umm, Happy Birthday"

The door comes flying off its hinges revealling a heavily breathing Racouol. He then starts towards Gyrfalcon. "Happy *pant* late *gasp* birthday." Racouol said as he dropped to the floor. After a few seconds he stood back up suddenly startling the crowd now gathered around him. Racouol the reached into his pocket and pulled out an object. "Here is your birthday gift."

"You mean the grinning anchovy that you are holding in your hand??" Gyrfalcon asked

Racouol looked down at the anchovy before tossing it to the side. "Hmm where is it?" Racouol reached into his pocket and pulled out a have eaten avacado sandwich. "No, not it", a withered apple, "no", a can of oil, a single black sock. After a few moments Racouol quits searching his pockets. "Must have lost it. But anyway happy birthday

Gyrfalcon bends down and helps Psimon and Gwaihir to their feet. "Thank you both for your birthday wishes! Next year, you hopefully won't have to rush so hard!"

Gyrfalcon accepted the small black box carefully and put it aside. Detailed analysis would have to wait for later, when he had the box in a heavily reinforced room.

"Damon, Racouol and Falcon- Thank you also for your best wishes!"

Salinye sits straight up in bed. I've forgotten something....What have I forgotten?

Five minutes later she was standing outside of the pen still wearing plaid flannel pajama pants and an old T-shirt that says "Nukestah" (from her adolescent days). Her hair was a complete muss of blonde chaos which was only made worse by her windy magical transport from The Hostel to The Pen. Quickly she ran into the castle through the many public rooms trying to remember what she forgot. Finally, she frantically ends up in the Cabaret room where she finds a few of The Pen members casually lounging among the deflated balloons and half fallen streamers.

The wizardess stops thinking, A party, was I supposed to be at a party?...No, I don't think so. At this point she notices a banner that has half fallen down and crumpled allowing her only to read the words "PPY BI AY GY CON!!!!" Salinye cocked her blonde chaos to the side in contemplation as the other people in the room stared at her wondering if perhaps she just crawled out of a corner somewhere. Suddenly, and with no warning, she let out a shriek causing everyone around her to jump in surprise, as realization hit her.

Turning from the room, she ran through the corridors, nearly knocking people over as she passed them until she came to the door of GyrE's private quarters.

"KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK"

Here she paused impatiently (After all, it was 2 o'clock in the morning.)

"BANG BANG BANG BANG"

"Open up, GyrE!!" Finally some frantic movement could be heard from inside, and a distinctive thump and clatter as the ranger was awoken. The ranger didn't bother to ask who it was, as he knew only members of The Pen could be calling at his door. Finally, she could hear a lock being undone as the door was thrown open.

"Wha....Salinye..." He stumbled surprised blinking from the bright light in the hall. "Are...you okay?"

It was only as he said those statements of concern that it dawned on Salinye, that perhaps she should have paused in her rampage to consider the time and perhaps plan a greeting on the morrow. Smiling Sheepishly she threw her arms around the surprised and half awake ranger in a warm friendly hug. Then, still oblivious to her mussed attire, she summoned a bag out of thin air and plopped on the ground with it in front of his door and began rummaging through it pulling things out and tossing them behind her as she rambled.

"I'm so sorry! I can't believe I forgot! I guess that shows you how distracted my mind has been lately! You what with dreams, and a hostel to run, and trying to learn all kinds of languages from Daryl, I've just been so busy!" Here she paused to toss a rather large and heavy stone out of the way before continuing. "Anyway, I just think you're so great, and how could I forget your...AHA!!!" Pulling out a long leather bag tethered tight at one end and a card she stands up to face the now very confused and humored ranger.

Before she could begin an insane ramble again he gently took her shoulders looking her in the eye to make sure she was listening. "Salinye, What in the gods are you talking about?"

Salinye looked at him as if HE perhaps had lost his mind. "Your birthday ofcourse! What else would I be talking about?" Gyrfalcon looked shocked as he dropped his hands.

"You have come here at this hour of the night because you forgot my birthday??" He blinked not sure whether to laugh or go back to bed.

"Ofcourse!!" She smiled as if there was nothing odd about it. "Now, here is what I was looking for. I made this some time ago for you, planning it as a gift for some occassion or another, because you know, it's best to be prepared. Anyway, and here is a card....Yes, yes, I know it says "To Salinye, Love Celowyn." I didn't have time to get a new card, but that card is funny, see the little dancing bugs? So, I probably would have written something about you being a great friend, and being glad we've met, and how much I adore Daryl and all sorts of nicey feel good stuff like that, so just imagine that part. OH! and since I have to go, it is rather late you know, I'll just tell you what the gift is now. It's a pouch full of arrows. They're enchanted, it will always be full. I'm sorry if you already have that!!"

With this she shoved the gift and cards into the rangers arms giving him one last smile before turning and nearly tripping over the mess she left in the hallway. Turning around she snapped her fingers and the various objects scattered across the floor disappeared. Waving she called out, (Again, oblivious that hollering down a hallway at 2am may not be the kindest thing to do) "Happy Birthday, Gyrfalcon!!! Get some sleep, you look tired!!"

Then she happily continued down the hall content to have remembered what she had forgotten.

Gyrfalcon shook his head in bemusement as Salinye almost skipped down the hall, various doors closing behind her to the sound of resounding grumbles over lost sleep. The half-elf looked at the bundle in his hands and the card lying on top and shook his head again, this time in amusement. He knew that Salinye could be a little vague, but tonight seemed to take the cake... along with the serving platter and quite possibly the table.

Shifting the gift and card to one arm, he waved an apology to Daryl and the others who had quarters near his before gently closing the door. Setting the bundle on the table, Gyrfalcon carefully trimmed the lamp's wick and lit the lamp. Even the ranger's partially elven vision wasn't enough to allow him to read the card by the light of an overcast night, and he wanted to inspect the details of the gift more closely.

Once the room was lit to his satisfaction, Gyrfalcon sat down and opened the card, chucking quietly at the humorously dancing bugs. Shaking his head, he placed it in a cubby and took out a sheet of paper, scratching a note on it to return the card on Salinye's next birthday before placing both in his desk drawer. With any luck, it'd make a nice tradition.

Smiling and chuckling softly again, Gyrfalcon unwrapped the bundle to reveal the enchanted quiver within. Pulling it out, Gyrfalcon inspected the quiver critically, impressed by the quality of the stitching and the leather. Even without enchantments, it was a work of art.

The half-elf held his hand over the quiver and spoke a few words quietly, invoking one of his few lingering magical abilities. The quiver glowed a rich blue, and the half-elf was more then a little surprised. While an enchantment to provide an endless stream of arrows was no meager spell, it normally wasn't as substantial as this one seemed to be.

Opening the quiver, Gyrfalcon slid one of the arrows out of the quiver and inspected it, noticing the elven fletching and the razor sharp mithril head... and the faint blue glow from the arrow. Enchanted, allowing it to harm creatures not normally affected by metal. Gyrfalcon put the arrow beside the quiver and watched it intently. He blinked his eyes a minute later and when they opened, the arrow had disappeared. Without looking, Gyrfalcon knew that another arrow had appeared in the quiver. Closing the quiver's flap, Gyrfalcon placed it beside his bow and shook his head, impressed by the gift that Salinye had made for him... and had waved off as a minor birthday gift.

Returning to his chair, Gyrfalcon leaned back, wondering to himself at the depths of Salinye's power that this gift hinted at. Shrugging the question away, the half-elf reminded himself instead of her generosity in creating the quiver to give to him in the first place.

"Thank you, Salinye." he whispered quietly before snuffing the lamp and returning to his interrupted sleep.