The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

What Happened To The Pen??

Salinye

Hi guys!

I know that I've been gone a long time and maybe a lot of people here don't even know who this blonde wizardess that's spamming the boards lately is, but I have to ask, "WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO THE PEN?"

I mean I'm not criticizing here, so please don't feel offended. It's just that I can remember when Wyvern would have to remind us not to post too many mundane things in the cabaret room because people would make posts that would scroll off the front page on the same day! The banquet room had so many poems posted every day that one of the biggest complaints in the community was that they felt like they never got any feedback, but this was due to sheer volume and how hard it was to read it all let alone post on it. Carnival events were so popular that we could barely get one wrapped up before the next started and they started 3 months apart. I would post a life question and people would be all over it with their thoughtful insight. There were constantly classes and exercises to participate in so that we could grow as writers.

I could go on and on...

Where did that thriving community go? Not that smaller active numbers are bad, they are not. Having a large moving community like that has it's downsides too. It was not without it's share of drama and chaos, but it was manageable.

So my point of this whole tirade of mine is that even if this community is smaller (active numbers) there is no reason why it can't be hoppin'. I think when a community is not active and rolling then when new members come to the board, they are less likely to stay because maybe the true value, that is always here regardless, is harder to see. Again, I'm not criticizing, just analyzing.

Here are my questions for you:

Have I missed the boat and you are much happier with a less active community? (This is okay, I just honestly don't know.)

Would you like to see some of the past vigor breathed back into the board and if so would you participate and help the effort?

Humor an old timer peeking her head out of inactivity by gracing me with your thoughts, will you?

I'm gone all day today, so I won't be responding until later this evening. (Things rolled so fast before, you had to state those types of things lol)

~Salinye :fairy:

Edited by Salinye

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Salinye. I can't speak for all obviously, but I know I just got busy with RL stuff and kind of drifted off into a idle state, stopping in here to check up when I could or when I remembered.

I think everything went through a lull, and then before activity had picked back up we went through another one, and another one. I know that one of the attempts to revitalize things kind of blew up in some of our faces and a number of people got new jobs or got busy at old jobs making it difficult for them to keep up earlier levels of posting.

It could be that some of the more frequent fliers stopped doing University / College courses and switched to real life jobs, I distinctly recall that killing my available time and energy for posting several years ago.

I can't really tell you what I'd be happier with in terms of more vigor on the board because if I'm going to be truly honest I'm still barely drifting in and out of here myself.

Pen goes in cycles Salinye. I actually thought we were in a bit of an upswing myself after the Fall lull (Summer Vacation Ending). Poetry postings have been pretty consistent in the BH all and all. We've even had some spirited debate over feedback recently. Can't speak firmly for RP sections though. The Assembly room appears like it's being used to me, but I don't linger there much.

You notice it after awhile. Every few months someone posts something like OMG the pen's changed! or dying! Yet we're still here. Actually people pointing out the trend--like I just did--has been posted multiple times as well, though those comments usually have a way of ending up in the Athenaeum section of the pen. God only knows how the discussion of the lull cycle has worked itself out in the Tower, if at all. There is something else to consider, but I'm not going to be the one to open up that can of worms this time. Oh no, not this dreamlost boy, no way.

Still, nothing in life is ever truly static Salinye. You can't leave a place for...what's it been? Two? Three Years? and expect everything to be as it was, ya know. My God how long have I been here??!! :blink: Let's see...started posting in earnest when I was in Korea, which was around 2001-ish, so that would make it like what: Six Years? Seven, if you count my just being aware of Pen's migration away from the game Archmage. Now if you look at the truly primordial Pennites of The Mighty Pen's past say back when people first stated congregating in the pre-UBB Blitz One Server Banquet Room you might have some people getting pretty well close to 9 or 10 years now. I guess that would put me somewhere near the Cambrian Explosion in the time line of the Pen. Wow. Jeez we're old. We should plan a party or something. We're ancient by internet standards.

take care,

rev...

Edited by reverie

Now if you look at the truly primordial Pennites of The Mighty Pen's past say back when people first stated congregating in the pre-UBB Blitz One Server Banquet Room you might have some people getting pretty well close to 9 or 10 years now. I guess that would put me somewhere near the Cambrian Explosion in the time line of the Pen. Wow. Jeez we're old. We should plan a party or something. We're ancient by internet standards.

OMG! You remember the pre-UBB AM board!? I frequented the 'server' BH, but I think we musta known a lot of the same people.

Yeah, we're waaay old. :D

I was thinking of at least a west coast Pen get-together - but I'm not sure who that would be exactly...

Yeah, I was one of those insane poster junkies over in the Blitz II Banquet Hall (not room, I forgot, thanks) engaging in cold war guild propaganda and the occasion ditty. I used to refer to the early pennite colony on that much more stable board as the "storytellers." Actually, I first started out in Blitz I BH about half a year earlier, but things didn't work out, so I left. Funny thing was, I still remember Gryfalcon or at least someone with the same name was posting well before I ever came onto the scene. He's older than dirt. He's practically a fossil. :P

Never was with Server I / II crowd that much. Didn't have the patience, it took too long to amass turns and my crowd was a bunch of alcoholic mechanics /signal soldiers paired with an equally rowdy group of swedes with the occasional moonlighting bar tender / law student **Waves to Kab and Syth, wherever you are**. Suffice to say they never got the whole poetry thing, but they appreciated me for my diplomacy skills. What? I can be diplomatic. Some of the people I used to play with way way back defected over into the Legion of Rose? and got addicted to Ever Quest, and we kind of lost track of each other.

Yeah get together could be fun. Do the west coast one. After I get in grad school, I might try to set up an east coast / mid west one depending on where I end up.

rev...

Edited by reverie

Hi again!!

Thanks for offering your insight into my questions. I appreciate it. (Even the knife through the heart, MIRA! :P)

I want to clarify that I'm not in any way saying that smaller active numbers are bad. I think large and small communities have their own pros and cons. Obviously I haven't been active here for a couple of years, so I know how life can steal people away, I was just curious as to where things were at since I've been awol. :0)

I think it would be neat to rekindle some of the former activities that were previously enjoyed by the pen, but wanted to see if there was interest besides my own. You see, I don't control my muse, it controls me and it's been a long time since I've woken up in the middle of the night having to write down ideas that have come to me. It's refreshing to feel such a craving need for writing again. :0)

Now about a West Coast Party, COUNT ME IN! I'm in WA state. :0) We may actually be in Cali in December sometime and I have to fly to New Mexico this week for a grant writing conference.

Thanks for all the input and thanks for not misunderstanding me. I wasn't criticizing as much as making sure my tromping in and posting with my fevered muse wouldn't be seen as little more than board spam. :P

Thanks for all the input and thanks for not misunderstanding me. I wasn't criticizing as much as making sure my tromping in and posting with my fevered muse wouldn't be seen as little more than board spam.

Okay, that's just silly! :P

I think it would be neat to rekindle some of the former activities that were previously enjoyed by the pen, but wanted to see if there was interest besides my own. You see, I don't control my muse, it controls me and it's been a long time since I've woken up in the middle of the night having to write down ideas that have come to me. It's refreshing to feel such a craving need for writing again. :0)

The summers are almost always slow at the Pen. The holidays are also traditionally slow, but the winter and cold weather in general, all the way until the spring turns to summer, is usually very good for Pen activity. I think it was last May that I predicted I wouldn't be able to participate much until Spetember - and I was very close.

I look forward to collaborating with you and your muse in any traditional or new events that come to your creative mind! :)

Now about a West Coast Party, COUNT ME IN! I'm in WA state. :0) We may actually be in Cali in December sometime and I have to fly to New Mexico this week for a grant writing conference.

Hmmm! Where abouts in Cali? Wyvern and I are in center-state, perhaps we could come up with a place close to everybody? :w00t: Edited by The Portrait of Zool

Yeah, I was one of those insane poster junkies over in the Blitz II Banquet Hall (not room, I forgot, thanks) engaging in cold war guild propaganda and the occasion ditty. I used to refer to the early pennite colony on that much more stable board as the "storytellers." Actually, I first started out in Blitz I BH about half a year earlier, but things didn't work out, so I left. Funny thing was, I still remember Gryfalcon or at least someone with the same name was posting well before I ever came onto the scene. He's older than dirt. He's practically a fossil. :P

Never was with Server I / II crowd that much. Didn't have the patience, it took too long to amass turns and my crowd was a bunch of alcoholic mechanics /signal soldiers paired with an equally rowdy group of swedes with the occasional moonlighting bar tender / law student **Waves to Kab and Syth, wherever you are**. Suffice to say they never got the whole poetry thing, but they appreciated me for my diplomacy skills. What? I can be diplomatic. Some of the people I used to play with way way back defected over into the Legion of Rose? and got addicted to Ever Quest, and we kind of lost track of each other.

Yeah get together could be fun. Do the west coast one. After I get in grad school, I might try to set up an east coast / mid west one depending on where I end up.

Heh! I never could do Blitz - far too fast for my glacial gray matter. :P Oh, I tried, but S2 (Yes! That's what it was. :) )was a much better fit. Did you go by reverie then too?

It's too bad you never hooked up with the original Pen guild - it sounds like we could have used you! :D Yes - it was the same Gyrfalcon!

Perhaps after we do the regional Pen meets, we could somehow brainstorm a national one. :)

Sorry am going to have to Geek out for a few minutes. :)

Did you go by reverie then too?

Original nick was revery, but I killed him off after a month or so and created: revery_tdc (the dream continues) that became my main alias. On different resets I went by: castle, and once traded accounts with a willar for few months. And during a six month long inter-guild tourney hosted by Dream of the Iron Fist Protectorat, I went by clumsy_smurf, sm_quest. Interestingly enough my guild took second place but got band for life due to our overly aggressive tactics. My friend would play drunk -- god could he play drunk -- only problem was he attacked EVERYONE when he was drunk. Made for quite a bit of damage control in the morning.

It's too bad you never hooked up with the original Pen guild - it sounds like we could have used you! :D Yes - it was the same Gyrfalcon!

I wouldn't have fit in with the actual pen rp guild at the time. I was still caught up in the absurdity of trying to gain rank on the guild level...that and killing arm casters and devil mages. I knew Joat though. He saved me in that tourney with a few well cast serenities. We were only vaguely aware of each other at time, but he helped me out anyway. BH people stick together! Which worked out much better for him I hear. I did introduce him to his girl, sephria, ya know. Oh memories. Did they ever get married? I forget. It was fair trade though because he introduced me to the pen.

National Pen meet, then the world!

Edited by reverie

Well our main purpose for the trip would be Lego Land, but my best friend lives in San Fran, so we would for sure hit there and if I dared to come to Cali and not see Wyvern, I'm pretty sure I would suffer in many almost dragonic ways...

I'd be up for some sort of Fantastic Pen Meet. Can you imagine? We'd have to book a block of rooms in a hotel or something. It would be sweet. If anyone's getting at all serious about that though, we might want to start a new thread for it.

As for the carnivals, they stopped when the guildleaders stopped having enough time to handle them. And that happened as we slowly lost members and eventually the most active of us were no longer very active. You can't really step down when there's no one to take your place. But I'm not trying to speak doom and gloom here. I'm seeing cycles, too. There are actually a number of new posts to read every time I come in here, and we still have *lots* of members (more than ever) just that many only pop in occasionally. I think we're on an upswing. Personally, I just try to keep plodding away at my writing and posting it. What else is a solo writer to do? That, and harbouring plans to get the SWG in swing again, just as soon as I have time...

I might start a thread about carnivals. If there is enough interest, if we don't try to pile on too much responsibility to the guildleaders, perhaps we can do another one soon.

I wouldn't have fit in with the actual pen rp guild at the time. I was still caught up in the absurdity of trying to gain rank on the guild level...that and killing arm casters and devil mages. I knew Joat though. He saved me in that tourney with a few well cast serenities. We were only vaguely aware of each other at time, but he helped me out anyway. BH people stick together! Which worked out much better for him I hear. I did introduce him to his girl, sephria, ya know. Oh memories. Did they ever get married? I forget. It was fair trade though because he introduced me to the pen.

National Pen meet, then the world!

LoL! I remember Joat! Crazy guy. Played with him on A1 for a reset or two. He was pretty fun.

I also knew Dream. The Trolls managed to slag his team in the last tournament he ran. It was myself as Yog, A friend of mine who went by Ogg for the tourney, Uncle Mav was on Red as Rog I think, another IFP member by the name of Thog was playing green, and Hitachi was playing white. Ogg and I were on the phone one night and caught Dream mana charging and piled on the spells. According to Dream he had recently given over control of his mage to someone else for the rest of the tourney and so wouldn't accept that he got whaked. *shrug* He always was about the most arrogant AM player I ever saw. Interestingly, he changed the rules for the tourney after his team lost. We made excessive use of diplomacy in taking down the Dream Team. Apparently he didn't like that and was going to forbid team interaction for the next tourney. Don't think he ran another one though.

I bounced around from server to server for quite a while. Was with the Iron Fist Protectorate for quite some time on blitz. I also played with The Covenant on blitz for a reset or two. Played on blitz one a ton. Was on S1 for about half a reset. Finished up on A1 with the Angels of Apocalypse. I went by Celevagor, Yog, and Mad Bomber depending on when and where. Don't think I had any other monikers. Met Regel in AM. I think we ended up being allies on A1 every reset I played there...

Ahh the AM days. *grins* Nostalgia.

I now return this thread to its regularly scheduled program. http://www.themightypen.net/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif

Ah freaking Dream. Yeah he was arrogant. Well I'm glad he finally got taken down. We came pretty close. OMG, in the tourney both me and my partner (the drunk one) got a Fury of God (basically every turn you take kills off like 10% of you until you die) for two days by the developers because they thought we were mult-mages (cheaters). I had to give Birdman the tourney forums password to A. shut up all the other teams saying we deserved it and B. to prove we weren't cheating. That kind of freaked a lot of people out. And we still took second. I think they hated us for that.

I remember the covenant. I did a trial membership in the White Tower for a time. What was it call back then the alliance of light? I vaguely remember AoA. Some many guilds, so many resets.

good memories,

rev...

Edited by reverie

I kind of like the slowness, but then again I 1.) was not here for the hoppin' times and 2.) and a junior in highschool who has limited time to participate. So by all means, do not give my opinion as much thought as those who can and will be on more often than I. I'm sure I'd enjoy all the activites, but my only fear would be that I would post and never be able to join again because of the speed with which things would move.

• 1 month later...

Heh. You even sound more like yourself than you did the last few times I saw you here. Good. :>)

Two things: What led you to worry that you "tromping in and posting with your fevered muse" *would* "be seen as little more board spam"? That's a bit worrying to me, especially coming from one who has before so wholeheartedly thrown herself into participating in this community, no matter how much what board features, members, *or* numbers changed.

And remember: we're primarily a writing site. Criticism's a necessary tool of that process-that's why writers have editors, for example. Never be afraid of it (looks at everyone).

It's like any other tool- it's only dangerous if used in a dangerous way.

Before I forget: Welcome back, and Merry Christmas!

\Thanks for all the input and thanks for not misunderstanding me. I wasn't criticizing as much as making sure my tromping in and posting with my fevered muse wouldn't be seen as little more than board spam. :P

Sorry, Deg- we require no working of your schedule around us to be a member of the Pen.

So you will have your opinions considered whether you like it or not. :P

I kind of like the slowness, but then again I 1.) was not here for the hoppin' times and 2.) and a junior in highschool who has limited time to participate. So by all means, do not give my opinion as much thought as those who can and will be on more often than I.

• 4 weeks later...

*cough* speaking of people packing their things and walking out the door...

Hey look, she's not dead!

The usual apologies on extreme inactivity extended, with sincere good intentions to do better. Health hasn't been too hot the past few months, but that's nothing new. What is?

I wrote a whopping page. First words out of my muse in... three, four years? Something like that. Go me!

Big hellos to all my old friends, and hope to stick around to meet some new ones.