The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WW XXVII: signup & OOC

Tanuchan

Tanny, was Treebeard extra tall then? I can't remember this so well.. in fact I'm regretting choosing an Ent because they'll be way easier to screw up (as I already did in forgetting about the Entwives) but it's too late now.

I don't suppose you can reference me to some (relatively) quick reading on them? Perhaps the book and chapter when we first meet Treebeard?

Hehe... you'll do fine, Katz :) I *really* like the idea of you playing an Ent!!

Now, for refs... try...

The Two Towers, Book I, chapter 4 - Treebeard

"A large knob-knuckled hand was laid on each of their shoulders, and they were twisted round, gently but irresistibly; then two great arms lifted them up.

They found that they were looking at a most extraordinary face. It belonged to a large Man-like, almost Troll-like, figure, at least fourteen foot high, very sturdy, with a tall head, and hardly any neck. Whether it was clad in stuff like green and grey bark, or whether that was its hide, was difficult to say. At any rate the arms, at a short distance from the trunk, were not wrinkled, but covered with a brown smooth skin. The large feet had seven toes each. The lower part of the long face was covered with a sweeping grey beard, bushy, almost twiggy at the roots, thin and mossy at the ends. But at the moment the hobbits noted little but the eyes. These deep eyes were now surveying them, slow and solemn, but very penetrating. They were brown, show with a green light. Often afterwards Pippin tried to describe his first impression of them.

'One felt as if there was an enormous well behind them, filled up with ages of memory and long, slow, steady thinking; but their surface was sparkling with the present; like sun shimmering on the outer leaves of a vast tree, or on the ripples of a very deep lake. I don’t know, but it felt as if something that grew in the ground—asleep, you might say, or just feeling itself as something between root-tip and leaf-tip, between deep earth and sky had suddenly waked up, and was considering you with the same slow care that it had given to its own inside affairs for endless years.'

Remember also that the Hobbits...

For they are a little people, smaller than Dwarves: less stout and stocky, that is, even when they are not actually much shorter. Their height is variable ranging between two and four feet of our measure. They seldom now reach three feet; but they have dwindled, they say, and in ancient days they were taller. According to the Red Book, Bandobras Took (Bullroarer), son of Isengruimi the Second, was four foot five and able to ride a horse.

I'll edit in something else, in a few minutes :)

Edit: hehe... thank you Patrick :)

Edited by Tanuchan

I'm posting an "end" for the current free-RP phase. However, as I cannot make a kill happen in Rivendell, and some of you might have things to say in the Council of Elrond - and also because it is the weekend - this next period of about 36 hours is to be considered similar to Night Phase. There will be *no* actual Seeing/Baning (since the kill will be an NPC one), but the roles are being PMd to you

So, summarizing...

• you're now at the end of the Council of Elrond, and you may talk your mind and tell your stories as you see fit, and start preparing to leave Rivendell. The setting is that of the beginning of chapter 3, 'The Ring goes South', in 'The Fellowship of the Ring - Book II'.
  • roles have been sent, however as there was no kill yet, this isn't a Day Phase - keep the free RP
  • I'll post the kill in roughly 36 hours (Monday late afternoon, EST)
I hope this isn't too confusing... :P

Edit: Roles have been sent - to everybody. If you haven't received anything, PM me :)

Edit2: the roles won't be revealed after each lynching/kill... the Ringbearer is secret, the destiny of the OR also... and the servants of the Shadow are guily. The game ends as per normal rules - all wolves caught (villagers win), or number of surviving wolves=number of surviving villagers (wolves win). It's not important where the OR is - since it's obvious that the winning party gets it automatically.

Edited by Tanuchan

I have a request to all...

I see where all the teasing at Jagk comes from, and I'm the first to admit that I liked the way the "comic relief" worked so far. I also think that the way it has been dealt so far is alright - but please, let's tone down a bit that "use" of Mynx's character until we know if she herself wants Jagk to be played like that. :) Because while Sweetcherrie made it clear from Stoomp's description and her own posts that her character is comic - so far, Mynx rendition of Jagk is that of a prickly, vain Elf maiden... not near the way Stoomp is.

I'll be posting the first kill in 12h at the most - sorry, too busy/tired to work on a post right now. You'll be then out of Rivendell and into the wilderness, and by then I think we'll get a better hang of how the no-warrior types (hobbits, Stoomp, some of the elves) will behave. After all, even "that fool of a Took" had his laughing and dramatic - and heroic! - moments :)

Thank you!

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

I'd like to second Tanny guys. The first couple of times was funny but this is making it harder and harder for me to come up with ideas and if i play in character, Jagk would probably severely hurt or kill someone - she's just that vain.

I'm not trying to gripe or anything just...there are other players to get caught by Stoomp's clumsyness and pulling Jagk out of nowhere to appear behind him for the sake of a cheap gag if going to make my participation in this game a lot harder.

This is probably going to get me lynched but oh well.

Sorry for any ruffled feathers.

Edit: I've been advised to expand on my character personality wise to explain why I don't want her to be a running gag.

She is a very attractive elf and knows this. Hence her vanity. It is to the extent that she often takes jokes personally and unless she is calmed down *will* hurt or kill the offender. It won't bother her if they are on her side,her family has enough political power to keep her from being kicked out of Rivendell. Anything bad that *doesn't* happen to her is funny - hence why Megwyn getting the water was amusing but the table full of food landing on her resulted in a fit.

She doesn't like to be around too many people because those that know her temper get edgy around her.

She prefers to keep in the company of Megwyn and a few elves she has known most of her life. She interacts as need be, but is very slow to forgive.

It's ok you guys. Seriously.

The first two times were fine but they were also in the same period of time.

It just goes against everything I'd created Jagkatha to be for her to put up with those things constantly happening to her.

*shrugs*

Yeah she's a *****...but I kinda like her

*rueful grin*

Evil cackling can be heard, and with the crackling of some Hellish energy, a creature of nightmare appears.

Muahhahahaaahhh ... fear my modly powers! Tanny asked me to let everyone know that she can't access the Pen at the moment. If she can't post within the next half hour or so, she'll post in about 5 hours of coming home today (which would be sometime past 8:30 pm her time).

Now, to wreak some havoc with these mo... wait ... what's happening ... wha? :blink:

With the announcement made, the modly powers, evil cackling, and nightmare-ish creature vanish like snow in an oven.

I'm still here.

I just need time to read & post.

:)

Which I'll do Monday.

Please nobody lynch or kill me until I have a first official RP post.

I never thought of that.

I doubt it would work, though.

I'm still here.

I just need time to read & post.

Which I'll do Monday.

Please nobody lynch or kill me until I have a first official RP post.

I never thought of that.

I doubt it would work, though.

Yeah, I guess your track record in that respect is not too good, eh?

Sorry for the delay, as Vene kindly posted for me... for some reason the Pen site refused to load earlier today.

It's now Day Phase, and you have 48 hours (more like 50) to vote one of you out. I won't be actually killing this person - they'll be free to keep RPing a stranded one or write their own death.

Remember please that I won't be revealing the roles of the dead :)

The setting is the way up Caradhras, based on the events described midway through the chapter The Fellowship of the Ring, Book II - The Ring Goes South. Please, do not go through the Pass, nor go beyond the snowstorm that actually kept the Fellowship from the Pass (for those who know what I'm talking about ;)) - those are the events that will start the Night Phase :)

Good hunting!

Edited by Tanuchan

The Rivendell players already have this information. Here's my character info for the rest of you.

*He's got fire-red hair and blue eyes

*he wears a bronze clasp on the end of his beard fashioned to look like an orc skull

*very ruddy skin

*He's about dwarf middle-age (however old THAT is)

*He's a skilled jeweler (especially when it comes to precious metals)

*near-phobia level fear of the dark

*constantly has a light source at hand (usually a candle, out of respect for others' nostrils and eyes. It's basically a candle-sized hurricane lamp)

*is polite enough and friendly enough, but tends to put his work (and others' artwork) first (with the one exception of being fiercely loyal to Elrond and his entire family)

*becomes quite nervous in the dark, and with prolonged time in darkness , his fear increases proportionately, as well as gives rise to paranoid hostility (but ONLY after long, unlit by nothing more than moon and stars time periods, or long time periods spent with a light in deep darkness)

*he is an art lover (loves to study sculpture of all kinds)

*he was found in the wild by Elrond four years ago, half-starved, dehydrated, and gibbering.

*he was taken in by Elrond, and nursed back to health.

*He has lived in Rivendell ever since

*he has no memory of who he is, how he got here, or where he came from, except for his name, and his father's name, and how to expertly work precious metals and gems.

*his "night terrors" have been increasing in intenisty over the past year, despite the loremasters' and healers' best efforts

*he is going as a member of the fellowship because his general unease at night has been steadily increasing over the past year. A practical dwarf, his amnesia does not trouble him much, but the increase in his fear of the dark has finally pushed him to decide that he must be rid of it- he loves his elf friends and their artwork too dearly to let himself become a liability, or worse, a danger to the community. His only theory on how to make his fear stop is to see that the centerpiece of the 'lord of all evil's power is destroyed, and it only strengthens his resolve to go that Elrond is the one who asked for protectors to go with the ring.

Have fun!

Do we only accuse in the RP?

Does it have to be outloud, or can we think it?

Do we verify here in the OOC?

To verify, I accuse:

Sinsor => Irvin Bartholomew Muskfoot, Hobbit of The Shire

I know being the first to accuse makes me a target, but, considering my history, I'm going to be anyway.

Do we only accuse in the RP?

Does it have to be outloud, or can we think it?

Do we verify here in the OOC?

Add an OOC line in your post, please - it's easier for me to check/recheck using the game thread, since there are other info/comments in this thread and a vote/change of vote might slip by while digging through posts. :)

And you can just think of the accusation - even more so because, at least in the beginning, it would be quite out of character to go around pointing fingers.

Quick note/reminder: Day Phase ends in about 25 hours from now.

However, due to the large number of players, if I don't get a minimum of 9 votes or stated abstentions, I'll give an extension of 12 hours - at the end of which I'll get whoever has more votes lynched :)

Second note: if you're posting very near or at the dealine, please state that either in this thread or in a placeholder at the main thread - I'll wait a few minutes if it needs be ;)

Edited by Tanuchan

OOC: Vote for the gods/ Tanuchan.

i have not forgotten...

:blink:

Huhhh.... yeah... sure...

*wonders what she has forgotten...*

:P

That has to be the most original Abstention I've read... hehe

We have 9 stated votes, so I'll end Day Phase in about 12-13 hours. I'll be also waiting for the posts of those who told me they're working on it. :)