The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WW XXVII: signup & OOC

Tanuchan

I'm working on making an end to the battle, and taking us to the Chamber of Records (Marzabul). Should have something done in an hour or so.

EDIT: post is completed, but it only took us to the 21st Hall, beside the Chamber

Edited by Akallabeth

I thought it was goblins and it wasn't a battle from the books, it was an extra fight that had been started because Vahktang? missed writing in the last one.

And suddenly we're in a chamber, and all the enemy are gone... and can someone please tell me what point we can't go beyond without messing up the scene for the next lynching?

Sorry, my brain is tired.

You can go wherever you want, I will take care of lynching and killings... Aka just helped me because by nature I'm unable to write battles, and he asked if he could take everybody to the Chamber in the 21st Hall.

I haven't had the time to read what he wrote, so sorry if I inadvertently caused some confusion.

So, just to clarify - if there is some point I don't want you to go beyond, I'll state it clearly in the OOC post paired to the change of phases :)

Meanwhile, please - do feel free to write anything that looks fun for you!

Edit: heh... yeah, you were fighting goblins... and Aka wrote Orcs... never mind *what* you were attacking right now, I'm sure Aka will edit for coherence when he drops by... anyway, feel free to post.

Edited by Tanuchan

Sorry for the delay...

Vahktang and Mynx tied with two votes. Random numbers doomed the temperamental elf ranger...

Mynx, I hope the lynching wasn't too far from what you had suggested. Please feel free to PM me if you want/need anything to be modified. You'll be a welcome ghost :)

The setting of this phase is the Chamber of Marzabul, described in the chapters 4 (A Journey in the Dark) and 5 (The Bridge of Khazad-dûm) of "The Fellowship of the King - Book II". If anyone wants to mention the book that Gandalf originally finds, and reads from, feel free to :)

Gryphon-

When I wrote the post, I was under the assumption that goblins and orcs were interchangeable names for the same creatures.

Since reading your post, I've talked to Tanny some and checked a Tolkien Bestiary of mine. I've found that I was wrong, that goblins are different from orcs, in that they are smaller beings which are lesser in power.

I'll be changing the post to correct for this.

Thank you for noticing :).

-Akallabeth

*mrrp*?

sorry I didn't get to help with the last battle more actively. I wasn't sure what Vahk had in mind in setting it up, or whether it had been stopped there for one of us to pick up and run with or stopped to let the rest of us catch up. *shrug*

Wasn't home yesterday, won't be until later this afternoon today, won't be AT ALL tomorrow, so will be posting in brief bits and pieces here and there.

We're in night phase, right? which ends... when?

(lost little kitten scrabbles frantically under the sofa for the clue she batted under there moments earlier...)

_That's what I was looking for.

Thanks Akallabeth

sorry I didn't get to help with the last battle more actively. I wasn't sure what Vahk had in mind in setting it up, or whether it had been stopped there for one of us to pick up and run with or stopped to let the rest of us catch up. *shrug*

Both.

I missed the last battle so I wanted to have another.

I did goblins and no rock troll to make it different from the books.

And I wanted the whole 'start a story, someone else continues, someone else continues' thing.

Hope you people had fun.

I know I did.

Edited by Vahktang

Wasn't home yesterday, won't be until later this afternoon today, won't be AT ALL tomorrow, so will be posting in brief bits and pieces here and there.

We're in night phase, right? which ends... when?

(lost little kitten scrabbles frantically under the sofa for the clue she batted under there moments earlier...)

Post when you can, 'shela :)

And yeah, we're in night phase, which I'll be ending in about ... 6-8 hours.

You are in the level below the Gates that open to Dimril Dale. At some point ahead of you, there is the Bridge of Khazad-dûm. On the other side of the rift described, Orcs are amassing.

Feel free to RP whatever you feel that fits, and don't worry about following the book or the movie. You don't need actually to fight the Orcs, or have a Balrog to face. You're free also to pass the Bridge, and then follow the stairs up towards the Gate - and actually leave Moria. I'll ask you to not pass beyond a "safe distance from the Gates", though - since the lynching will happen still around Moria, at wherever you happen to be.

Gyrfalcon, you're welcome to play a ghost or, if so you wish, any NPC role you want to take (in which case please PM me :))

Have fun :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Scorecard

The Company of the Ring...

... and those who left
  • Savage Dragon => Raus Tanathos, lost during an avalanche at Caradhras
  • Sweetcherrie => Stoomp, taken by the Watcher of the Lake, Moria
  • Mynx => Jagkatha, fell of a bridge in Moria, facing Orcs
  • Gyrfalcon => Frerin, victim of a crumbling wall in Moria
Edited by Tanuchan

BTW, when I say Rootmaker's words are echoing, I don't mean that he's speaking at, say, the level of a human shout, or even regular speech. Definitely well above a whisper though. I'm not much of one for silent accusations, so I'm hoping this can get more talking going, to Rootmaker himself if nothing else.

Also, Tanny, there might be less confusion about Rootmaker if you editted the "wife" out of your scorecard. ;) At the same time, I'm going to edit my original description of [him] to indicate the change.

Also, Tanny, there might be less confusion about Rootmaker if you editted the "wife" out of your scorecard. ;) At the same time, I'm going to edit my original description of [him] to indicate the change.

Ooopsie... sorry... done :)

The way the adventure's been going, I'm not at all sure that everyone saw my character description after I posted it. So, just in case you did miss it, here you go.

The Rivendell players already have this information. Here's my character info for the rest of you.

*He's got fire-red hair and blue eyes

*he wears a bronze clasp on the end of his beard fashioned to look like an orc skull

*very ruddy skin

*He's about dwarf middle-age (however old THAT is)

*He's a skilled jeweler (especially when it comes to precious metals)

*near-phobia level fear of the dark

*constantly has a light source at hand (usually a candle, out of respect for others' nostrils and eyes. It's basically a candle-sized hurricane lamp)

*is polite enough and friendly enough, but tends to put his work (and others' artwork) first (with the one exception of being fiercely loyal to Elrond and his entire family)

*becomes quite nervous in the dark, and with prolonged time in darkness , his fear increases proportionately, as well as gives rise to paranoid hostility (but ONLY after long, unlit by nothing more than moon and stars time periods, or long time periods spent with a light in deep darkness)

*he is an art lover (loves to study sculpture of all kinds)

*he was found in the wild by Elrond four years ago, half-starved, dehydrated, and gibbering.

*he was taken in by Elrond, and nursed back to health.

*He has lived in Rivendell ever since

*he has no memory of who he is, how he got here, or where he came from, except for his name, and his father's name, and how to expertly work precious metals and gems.

*his "night terrors" have been increasing in intenisty over the past year, despite the loremasters' and healers' best efforts

*he is going as a member of the fellowship because his general unease at night has been steadily increasing over the past year. A practical dwarf, his amnesia does not trouble him much, but the increase in his fear of the dark has finally pushed him to decide that he must be rid of it- he loves his elf friends and their artwork too dearly to let himself become a liability, or worse, a danger to the community. His only theory on how to make his fear stop is to see that the centerpiece of the 'lord of all evil's power is destroyed, and it only strengthens his resolve to go that Elrond is the one who asked for protectors to go with the ring.

Have fun!

....You see why I don't like silent accusations? :P They totally separate IC and OOC thinking. "Looked at him funny", indeed.

And Vahk... you're supposed to put that in the IC thread as an OOC. :) You can put it here, too, but it's easiest for everyone if all accusations are in the same place. Thanks.

You do love me, don't you? Third day phase, and third time I had to decide the lynching on dice?! :P

Gryph, you're free to RP as a ghost, joining the others - or, if you so wish, play the eventual NPC. PM me if you'd like more info on that :)

You are in a green valley outside Moria, and it's broad daylight - noon time. You're free to do whatever you seem fit; you have gone far enough from the Gate of Moria to be safe from the Orcs, since they won't dare to go into daylight.

Your next stop is Lothlorien, and the Elves are aware that it is in their way ahead and Falmar is leading them there. Feel free to talk about it, but please don't go into it. If possible, try to avoid battles this time :).

Have fun!

umm???

too many deaths, too soon. Mattias, Jin, Jagk, Stoomp, Raus....

did I miss something? We haven't lost Jin, have we? Last I knew, he rode out of Moria with Seothen??

(Elrond will have my hair if we have! heh...)

If I'm the one you think was random, you can rest assured that it was not. I never vote randomly. ;)

Post coming later, when I'm not at work and trying to convince myself to actually do some work. :P (No, I'm not getting paid for slacking, I'm on a per-hour basis)

Umh, scorecard?

And Vahk... you're supposed to put that in the IC thread as an OOC. :) You can put it here, too, but it's easiest for everyone if all accusations are in the same place. Thanks.

You got it.

If possible, try to avoid battles this time .

Sorry.

So used to D & D.

:)

And we're walking...

Edited by Vahktang

neh. I've voted randomly before, do as often as need be when the RP is delightfully tight and finding reasons to suspect anyone which don't stretch reason itself all out of shape is difficult at best. I think I've only overridden the dice once, and that was only because I laughed myself sick when I counted down the list and realized it had come up with me voting to lynch myself. ;)

Tanny - thanks for the update, I got a bit confused by Phoenix's post listing deaths so far.