The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WW XXVII: signup & OOC

Tanuchan

Hmm... well, Gryphon's WW is near an end, and so I thought about putting up the sign up for next one.

I'm still thinking about the mechanics - if I have enough players, I'm adding an extra, fun role... but I'm getting ahead of myself. ;)

Theme: The Lord of the Rings (Tolkien's Middle Earth, end of 3rd Age)

Characters: any of the races present in any of the three books, that actually live on Middle Earth. You cannot choose a character that actually exists in the book (no, no playing Elrond, Aragorn, Pippin, Treebeard, Tom Bombadil.... but you can play an elf, Ranger, Ent... ). Also, Wizards are restricted, since there are only five that came to Middle Earth.

Story: there is the One Ring, and someone has to take it to the Cracks of Doom.... and Elrond has formed the Fellowship of the Ring to help the Ringbearer. (And no, the Ringbearer isn't necessarily a Hobbit in this version!). You'll start in Rivendell, soon after the Council, and the story will take you through ... places :). Not necessarily following the books, either; the whole story is just loosely based on the events in the "real" Lord of the Rings, and the NPCs will be the leaders of the journey.

The traditional roles are, as of now, set as below. I might change them slightly after the game actually starts, to fit them better to the characters that get them.

• The wolves are characters who have been lured by either Saruman or Sauron - I'll make it coherent with the character that actually gets to play it;
  • Seer has a scrying mirror or some equivalent ability;
  • Baner: to be adapted to the character that gets it.
If I have enough players (more than 10), I'm planning to set a RingBearer as an extra role... and introducing a small twist in the mechanics of the game (though not as extreme as Gryphon's ;) ). Basically, whoever has the One Ring can use either Seeing/Baning properties ... or be corrupted and help the Shadow. There is more to this, but I'd really need more than 10-11 players - most probably - and so, I'll post the full "rules" for this extra role if we really get it.

So, post your character... I need name, race, and a reason for you to be in Rivendell. There are no restrictions but the ones already stated - no actual character from the book (though you can base yours on any of them), no wizards. There can be more than one representative of each race, naturally.

If you want to play and aren't familiar with The Lord of the Rings (it might happen, after all), post and/or PM me :).

The game will actually start about a week after Gryphon ends his game, if there are enough players by then.

I'll be adding more info as necessary.

The basic rules, for the new players :)

oh, wow.

so, using the *races* of the books, but not the actual characters...

following the *general* plotline of the books, but not the specific details...

right?

(i'm still undercaffienated and sleep-deprived for being sure i've got it ATM)

this could be a lot of fun! =)

Yeah, that's it, 'shela :)

I'll use the main pointers - I'm planning to include Moria, Lothlorien, and so on - as places. Also, I think I'll be including some of the characters as NPCs (after all, what would Lothlorien be without Galadriel? ;)) But how it comes out will be up to the players!

Edited by Tanuchan

I am most certainly absolutely in. :D

A Gondorian man of Dol Amroth will be joining the party in a short while.

As soon as he manages to collect his thoughts.

EDIT: Ack, second thought are occurring. Perhaps a dwarf. Maybe a dwarf.

Edited by Akallabeth

Jagkatha.

Female.

Elf.

Vain - Thinks she's the prettiest

Skilled fighter - very good with long bow but prefers close quarters combat with knives/short swords.

Bit of a reckless one - she loves more than anything to be in the heat of battle and has a rather quick temper.

Despite all her flaws she is in general a good person and doesn't go out of her way to make enemies.

She just likes to teach them lessons with her shinies.

Whenabouts might this start?

(I'm thinking about joining... just thinking... but I *really* need to catch up around the Pen first...)

It'll start on next Sunday at the earliest - I honestly doubt I'll be able to actually start running this before Wednesday May 3rd. As I keep sign-up open until I send the PMs... let's say that you have until either May 3rd or May 5th to join ;)

Vahktang: you're starting to remind me of poor Eyremon... :rolleyes: ... let's see if this time you can keep in the game longer!!! I'm happy to see you still around :)

Updated list of players so far:

Gryphon

Finnius

Mynx => Jagkatha, Elf (female)

Akallabeth

Giles => Baelestimah, Elf of Rivendel

Patrick

Venefyxatu

Panther

Vahktang

Edited by Tanuchan

I'm in.

Traitor Orc anybody?

No?

Ok.

I'll figure something out.

That will get me killed in before the first night.

By the way... Vahk, if you or anyone does want to play a renegade Orc, there's no problem at all... just be aware that it's a dangerous role ;)

And also, feel free to set any background interactions with other players. I'll ask you to send me the final background (if any) just so that I can work better the modding posts :)

~Tanny

Filk the Hobbit,

Filkiormous Magnanimous Berrison,

Highly Usual Hobbit.

Very very short, big hairy feet, would prefer six meals a day, but can make do with four. Filk is one of a very few young (45ish, just off his mam's leading strings) hobbits who heard all about Bilbo's famous journey to the east and encounter with a Horrible Dragon, and instead of giving a proper shudder, said "Oh really?"

He immediately packed up his belongings and set off to retrace the famous adventure, although he rather intended to leave the many near-death experiences out of it. Mostly, he just wanted to see the mountain, as there are precious few of those in his cosy Shire.

By the time Filk got to Rivendell, he had realised that perhaps he'd made somewhat of a mistake - things are much farther away than they at first seemed, and walking for hours on end is a very un-hobbitish thing to do. Still, the mountains are nice, the elves tell the most hilarious jokes, and so far nobody's been too stingy with the six squares a day. Still, despite the hardship of travel, Filk hasn't *quite* got the adventure bug out of his system.

So I said I'd update my first post. :P

Edited by Finnius