The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WW XXVII: signup & OOC

Tanuchan

Congratulations to the Villagers, for winning the game - and to the wolves, for putting up a good fight.

And congratulations to all players for a *very* good RP from all of you!

Final Scorecard

• Giles => Baelestimah, Elf of Rivendel (male), servant of Arwen
  • Ayshela => Linador, horse-master elf (male) from Rivendell

A summary of the Special's targets:

Seer: Gryphon / Giles / Seer got killed

Baner: Mynx / Gyrfalcon / Venefyxatu / Baner got killed

Ringbearer: the One Ring hasn't been used by any of the villager's RBs. Everybody alive ended up being Seen by the last wolf when he got the OR.

Wolves: Sweetcherrie / Gyrfalcon / Ozymandias / Venefyxatu / Akallabeth / Sinsor / Patrick

To clarify, the Baner lost his baning to dice on the night he Baned the wolves' target. And Phoenix made a most unfortunate (and odd) mistake when she mentioned Ozy/Jin as dead right before the kill was posted - the wolves had sent me that kill literally days before her post, since they had their three first targets chosen from the beginning - the dwarves.

I hope you've had fun playing this game - I had lots of fun modding it.

Also, I have two final questions, and would be grateful if you posted any comments on them:

1- Did the fact that the roles weren't revealed during the game detract from it? (Though there was reason for that, since I didn't want to reveal where the OR was).

2- Would people be willing to play a second game on the same theme, now focusing on the way from Helm's Deep on? It would be with new characters, but the same premise (probably - I have some ideas to change it a bit).

*hugs all*

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

Thanks for a good game all. It was definatley fun.

From a wolf's point of view, keeping the role kills secret was both helpful and worrysome. I had no idea, except when I saw everyone with the OR, if the seer or baner was still out there. It also kept it so that the villagers didn't know that they did have only one wolf left about half way through the game.

Thanks for modding a great game Tanny. :)

I had quite a bit of fun (that is when my exams and projects allowed me to post, which wasn't too often). Not revealing the roles did add quite a bit of uncertainty to the game, where we couldn't trust anyone, not even in death, which I think fit in quite nicely to the theme of the game.

As to question 2: of course! :D

Also, I have two final questions, and would be grateful if you posted any comments on them:

1- Did the fact that the roles weren't revealed during the game detract from it? (Though there was reason for that, since I didn't want to reveal where the OR was).

2- Would people be willing to play a second game on the same theme, now focusing on the way from Helm's Deep on? It would be with new characters, but the same premise (probably - I have some ideas to change it a bit).

1. I quite enjoy not having the roles revealed ... it adds just that little "extra" if you asked me - which you did :P

2. Seeing how I've been going inactive in posting in the last two WW games, I think I'll take a WW-vacation for now ...

Not knowing the roles *was* a point of mild frustration, mostly in the way of trying to plan posts and do any sort of character development. Granting that the possibility *always* exists that any of us won't have a tomorrow left to post in, knowing there are two or three wolves left so the game itself will definitely be running through the next location leaves a bit more "think time" for major postings than spending half the time wondering if we'll even get there and spinning around "I wanted to deal with this facet, but there's really not place for that here, but if I don't now then can I?"... it's easy enough to set everything aside for a wolf-kill, because character development is by definition cut short by that. Lynchings create their own opportunities for development. Some of it, though, is dependent on location (especially in a story like this), and it was a minor detraction to have to *always* weigh in whether or not the game itself would continue to another point.

for a second game - sure, if you're modding it I'm in! :)

Being impatient, I normally prefer knowing the roles of whoever was wolfed/lynched when it happens. But having said that for this game I think the secrecy worked really well.

And yeah I'd be interested in another game, just need some time to get over everything else in RL and get my head around another character...

Fun game Tanny. Thanks heaps :)

As a villager or a wolf, I like knowing the roles, but it was acceptable (in my eyes) for the roles to be hidden due to the role of the Ringbearer. However, I might prefer it more if the Ringbearer role remained hidden, while the other roles were revealed after the removal of lynched/killed players. But that's just me.

Very willing. I'd most likely be a man of Gondor, a Dunadain, or a Rohirrim if I'd be human, or else a serious male dwarf, kinda like Gimli in the books.

I hope you've had fun playing this game - I had lots of fun modding it.

was a bit frustrating at points

it was a bit frustrating no knowing if any progress was being made but it also worked in our favor to be honest since I thought Ayshela was a special near the end and started taking clues form her

*hugs all*

~Tanny

sure, not good news for Baelestimah however since he would keep going if he could

Yeah, I did think keeping all roles secret was more than was necessary, but it didn't keep me from playing, so that's all right. Anyway, I kind of think the hidden roles made it easier for the wolves (though the game itself gives me no evidence from which to make that claim) because us villagers had next to no basis for our lynchings.

... It's funny, my first vote being like the third or fourth day, I would have looked even more like a seer if Gryphon's role had been known. :P

Ayshela: When I read through your post, I found myself thinking about it in terms of real life. Our characters faced the same choices we did: reveal these thoughts/feelings now, because I might be dead tomorrow, or keep them hidden because I can't bear to share them yet? I totally agree with what you're saying, but kind of began to sound like an argument for keeping the roles from us. ;)

Anyway, good game. Good game.

As a wolf, I was fine with not revealing the roles.

As a villager, I would have found it _very_ frustrating.

Hence my post, that it would was very frustrating.

As a player of subsequent games: keep the roles secret until the end.

Adds uncertainty and excitement.

Had a ball.

_Very_ impressed by your LOTR knowledge.

Loved the quotes.

How much prep time did this take?

Hugs.

_Very_ impressed by your LOTR knowledge.

Loved the quotes.

How much prep time did this take?

Hugs.

Mmm... prep? Well, I usually spent around 1-2 hours writing each modding post... and having the game in my mind most of my free time, thinking about where to take it, and how. :P But there wasn't a great deal of planning ahead, just a general idea of the route.

LotR is my favorite book ever... I've read it for the first time 14 years ago, and must have re-read it in full at least 8-9 times since. It was also my first book ever that I read in its original English version. Maybe that explains why I know where to find whatever I want in the books :P.

Thank you - all of you. I'll post again commenting the comments on roles later ;)

*hugs*

Ayshela, I fully understood (and agreed with) what you said and I certainly didn't mean to say that it was confusing or anything. I simply meant that it was an interesting exercise to read it the way that I described. :)

Sorry about any confusion.

Katz - you're fine, really. That was just the fourth thing in eighteen hours where I did my level best to try to explain something only to have it completely misunderstood - and I've a nearly thirty year track record of that *always* happening when it's most important. :-S I'm glad it wasn't confusing and was, for a wonder, actually comprehensible. Thank you for the clarification on that. =)

*huggles*

Oh, and just for the record...

I totally agree that the ringbearer role NEEDS to be secret. The others - there are distinct advantages and disadvantages either way, so while purely from a *writing* POV it was a bit extra-frustrating to not have the faintest idea past day three of the game where we were at as far as wolf-hunting, the added suspense of NOT knowing any of the roles was completely appropriate for the story itself. It could really be done either way as far as the standard roles, as long as the Ringbearer role was kept hidden at all times.

First of all, I have a couple posts/background/follow-ups that I received via PM, and the players didn't have the chance to use or post. I'm pasting them here since they were very nice/fun to read, and there is no way for me to paste them in the IC thread.

Character

Irvin Bartholomew Muskfoot - Hobbit of The Shire

Hobbit of average height, around 40 years old(how old do Hobbits get?)

Background

Inventor - salesman by profession

Inventor of the 'portable writing kit' come to Rivendell to promote his new product.

Travelling by cart he brings his product along with him.

One day during a walk I started thinking "i wish i could work on my notes while i'm taking a walk in the open field" and that's how i came up with plans for my latest invention!

The Portable Writing Kit:

A square wooden box, which opens up in a 75° angle.

The top part is restrained from opening further by a small metal chain attached to the bottom and top part.

In the top-part of the box is a small glass window divided in 4 parts by a wooden grid to allow the sunlight to shine on the content within when sitting in the shade.

The bottom part contains two compartments, one large on the left which contains sheets of paper and one small on the right which contains charcoal-sticks.

When closed the top and bottom parts are kept together by a small metal slider.

The initials I.B.M. seem to be burned in the bottomside of the wooden box as a quality mark.

The kit comes in two versions : The Commoner's Edition which is just the wooden box, papers and charcoal-sticks and The King's Royal Edition which contains the wooden box, papers and charcoal-sticks but also features a handle on the box and a little lock with a unique key.

Also, in Ozy's case, he wanted to post soon after his 'death', but that would point to the fact that one of the wolves was killed, and so I asked him to modify it a bit - which he didn't have the opportunity to do. He wanted me to post the following at some point, but it seems he was kidnapped by RL at some point... so I'll paste it here, and when he comes around I'll just add it to one of my mod posts in the game thread. I hope you don't mind it, Ozy!

Megwyn slept fitfully.

She dreamed...

Jin opened his eyes, and wondered if he had. It was as dark as when he had had them shut. He stood, getting gently rocked back and forth, as if by a firm breeze; this, however, was cool and heavy, though gentle, whatever it was. Almost soothing. He stood this way for what seemed ages, simply...being, for the first time in ages.

After a while, he became aware of a faint silver glow, just at the edges of vision. Steadily, it grew, until he saw a blurry and animated place flowing around him. He was alone, but he thought he saw something floating above; yes, it was faces. Many he did not recognize. Many he did. Memories came flooding back, and he wept. He remembered all; every last bit of it. From the first day his family and friends began talking of reclaiming Khazad-dum, to when they followed Balin in, to doing much joyous and beautiful reclamation, and of their ultimate slaughter.

Everyone's brutal and meaningless deaths, save his. Jin remembered running, now (he became aware of the sensation in his shoulder, and searched out the cause of the stiffness. It was an arrow, in the exact same place he'd been shot that day, and ironically fallen in the very same river immediately then, too). He remembered falling and floating for a long time, insensate. The creatures had left him for dead - then, they had been wrong. Today, as he chuckled to himself, he realized he had not made it that far this time. Moria had been angry at losing its prey, and had lain in wait for this day. It had enlisted new servants, Jin thought grimly as he fingered the gaping gash in his throat.

Feels like the blade was stuck in from the side, so I could not scream if I came up to the air. Then it was pulled quickly outwards, to sever the windpipe and my vocal cords. Whoever did this is skilled in quietly killing. Small comfort that knowledge is now.

The brutal arrow had torn a hole in his pack in his fall so wide that his supplies began to slide out and float away. Jin scarcely noticed.

No.

Jin's gaze remained cast upward at the floating faces of stranger, friend and foe alike as he ruminated, he had suddenly spotted one that he knew was fresh - one that was newly known to him. His eyes narrowed in rage. He snatched up his knife, and with one mighty throw, he brought the phantom to the ground that Jin now stood on, clutching at the knife sticking out of his shoulder.

The newcomer glared at Jin, even as he plucked the knife from his flesh and brandished it menacingly. Black blood oozed from the wound. He hesitated.

"I've no quarrel with you, dwarf."

The fallen dwarf's blue eyes turned soulless as a robin's eggshell. "You and you compatriots sought to slay my friends, my family...to steal their lives for the crime of daring to hope...again. "

Jin spread his feet. His opponent readied himself as well. Just then, an iron one-handed hammer floated past. Jin shot out his hand, snatched it up, and pointed it at his foe. "For the big jobs", the dwarf said with a sneer. "You at least will shed no more innocent blood, monster. We shall be here for eternity, and I'll see you pay for your crimes that long, and more."

"I did only what I had to do," came the snarled reply.

Screaming his fury, Jin leapt, hammer swinging.

Megwyn woke, wild-eyed, fearful of what it meant.

As for the comments on the secrecy of roles to the end - thank you :)

The reason why I didn't reveal the roles was directly linked to the theme and to the fact that the RB was to be kept a secret at all times. Also, I thought that it might be good experimenting with it and see if it would help focusing more on RP than wolf-hunting... but as it seems that neither side enjoyed much the secrecy, I think that I'll just go with the traditional way in the follow-up to this game (in some month's time).

Though... there is a possible variation where I could just say that a special has been killed, though not saying which special. Would that favor the wolves? Or, after the 3rd special being killed, would that end up balancing itself?

Anyway - for the follow-up, I'll be more precise in the setting/route, since I understand Ayshela's view and agree completely with the RPing importance of it.

Thanks for participating :)

~Tanny