The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Let there be...

Gryphon

Gryphon bounds into the Cabaret Room racing over to the wall where various sheets of Quill Quest signups hang, indicating either Quests in progress or Quests awaiting participants.

Moving to a clear patch of wallspace next to the parchments for Mynx and Cryptomancer's Quests Gryphon takes a carefully scribed scroll from his pouch and reverently he attaches it to the wall beside the others.

Turning to survey what crowd exists inside the room, noting a few curious glances, Gryphon gestures to the parchment and announces:

"Recent efforts and encouragments from some very good friends have convinced me that it is time for me to enter into a quest for a quill of my own."

"With that in mind I have undertaken to create a number of minor magical items or spells, each uniquely suited to individual members of Pen Keep. They will be minor, they will also be taylored specially for those that request them within the abilities of my magic and free of cost to those wanting them." :)

"Please sign on the parchment I have attached to the wall behind me so I have a record of those who have joined to support me in my undertaking."

"Thank you."

Announcement complete Gryphon leaves the room, more sedately than he entered so that those who want to can sign up without pressure.

~~~

OOC: No limit at this stage on how many can sign up as the only restricitons for me are time and imagination. :)

Venefyxatu wanders over curiously at seeing someone else attaching a note to the Quill Quest board, and listens to Gryphon's speech.

"A magical item, tailored specifically to me? Maybe ... hmmm ... this could be very interesting indeed."

The words were not really meant for anyone to hear, and they weren't, since Venefyxatu was murmuring them to himself. Walking closer, he takes out his Quill and signs his name on Gryphon's parchment. With a slightly crooked smile and an encouraging nod towards Gryphon, he leaves again with the words, "Good luck, Gryphon."

Sweetcherrie walks in, and almost bumps into Venefyxatu who just leaves the Cabaret Room. She walks over to the wall, glances over the different messages already posted, and sees a new piece of parchment.

“Hmm..magical items, that sounds interesting.”

She takes a business card with her name on it from her pocket, takes a ballpoint from her suitcase, and writes on the back, “Good luck Gryphon, PM me when more info is needed.”

She glances over the card one more time, and sticks it next to the parchment.

Edited by Sweetcherrie

Zariah read the announcement on the wall and carefully thought about it.

"This should be great! I believe I WILL sign up," she said to Wanderer in crow speak.

He responded, "Zariah, what do you think you would want more? A spell or item?"

"I have no preference, Wanderer, so long as neither hinder my current abilities."

With that, Zariah pulled out her trademark Quill and signed her name on the list.

The wolf sits in front of the parchment, intent on reading the details of this new Quill Quest - having been careful to not let any other QQ announcements escape after missing Cryp's...

This looks really interesting... specially considering how nice it was to share some magic with Gryphon during the Halloween'04 Party (a.k.a. Werewolf XIII - Halloween ;))

Sign me up, please!!! :D

~Tanny

Elrohir moves briskly through the room as he returns from an errand for his Dad.

Interested as always in the Up-and-Coming crowd, he takes a moment to scan the Quests.

Seeing one that doesn't have the family represented, he happily jots down his own name onto the parchment, then moves on to report to Peredhil.

OOC: Laughing (guiltily) at poor crypt...

IC:

Inbi Infusco had been hearing excited murmurs around the Pen Keep lately. As far as she could tell, there was something going on involving free magic items. That was kind of strange, as magic was as expensive as it was feared in other parts of the world, but it did seem that magic-users were wide-spread here.

She engaged in conversation with a few strangers (not knowing very many of the folk here, yet) until she was directed to the Cabaret Room. Or rather, since the Cabaret Room was the best place for gathering information and she was already there, she was directed to the message board along one wall.

An interesting proposition, she thought, wondering what sort of a quill might be quested after in this manner, and what benefits it brought its bearer. Nevertheless, it looked to be a harmless affair, and many had already signed up, including a name or two that she recognized. She added her name to the sheet, hoping for an item rather than a spell.

OOC: I'm assuming your magic scroll recorded your initial speech ;)

Ayshela meanders through the Cabaret Room, picking things up and putting them away on her way through as usual. Noticing another parchment pinned on the wall, she quickly checks it over for appropriate placement. Realizing what it is, she stands thoughtfully for a moment, finger tapping her cheek as the reflects on the possibilities.

"Well, i don't really *need* anything, but i'd love to support Gryphon, so i'm in."

Ayshela takes her favourite purple pen and signs herself up, then resumes her janitorial meander through the room.

;)

Helga Hurtle has been plodding towards Gryphon's parchment for nigh on two days. Without the benefit of flower-fuel she's easily distracted and circuitous. Muttering to herself 'By dandelion we'll do it', she increases her stride, hoists her shell bravely, laps a basking rock and finally arrives.

Craning her neck to full stretch she gazes up to where the parchment hangs high above upon the wall. It may as well be suspended from a star.

'Where's Wyvern's portable tortoise trampoline when you need one?', she murmurs to noone in particular.

Edited by Cerulean

There is a faint rustling sound and a name begins to scribe it's self slowly across the parchment. The script is slow and methodical with a suggested tortise shell motif to it. Minutes thereafter the parchment also displays the name Helga Hurtle.

Vlad saunters in, having just got word of free magical items. He looks to the signup...

He remembers the time Degenero gave him free dating advice and shudders.

He remembers the time Zadown gave him free music and shudders.

He remembers the time Wyvern gave him "free" beer and shudders a lot.

Thinking to himself that the learned never fool and that fools never learn, he proceeds to enlist himself thinking it will make for a good story someday.

Edited by Vlad

Salinye's eyes light up in the way that only magical artifacts can bring. Having a huge interest (bordering on obsession) with magically enchanted or created items, she squeezes her name to the top of the list before everyone elses. Normally her manners are far above this kind of behavior, however, she can't be held responsible for her actions while under the influence of MIO (Magical Item Obsession).

~Salinye :fairy:

Kasmandre the Koot makes his way into the Cabaret Room and, seeing the new scroll hanging on the wall, slowly ambles over to it, leaning heavily on his cane. Getting out a pair of reading glasses whose lenses were once used in a deep space satellite, he squinched up his eyes and stood a half inch from the scroll, staring intently at every word before making it out. After a good half hour, he'd finished, but forgotten what he just read. After getting reverie to explain it to him, he scribbled his name down on the parchment in an unintelligible scrawl and proceeded to pontificate on why modern artifacts were no match for the wonders created in his day. He continues on for a good three hours, pleased at not being interrupted for once, before he realizes that the room has completely emptied.

The unusual emptiness of the Cabaret Room is shattered as Wyvern barges into the chamber, grumbling a long string of curses at the notion of possibly missing out on the good spells due to his tardiness. The overgrown lizard trips over Helga Hurtle as he races towards the sign up scroll, nearly getting his horns embedded in the wall as he skids to a halt. Examining Gryphon's scroll and rereading the word "free" several times, Wyvern scrawls his illegible signature over the length of the parchment, then sneers and departs from the room just as quickly as he came.

Several minutes later, Wyvern reenters the Cabaret Room wearing a loosely waxed moustache over his face, as well as a cheap immitation smoking jacket. The lizard moves towards the scroll in a not-so-elegent manner, tripping over Helga Hurtle on his way there and practically crushing his plastic watch and chain against the wall in the process. Scratching his scaly chin with an air of mock-consideration, the overgrown lizard scrawls the name "Wyvernichi" on the sign-up parchment before turning and exiting from the room.

After another few minutes, Wyvern reenters the Cabaret Room again wearing googly eyeglasses and a doctor's white lab robes, along with a ridiculously large stethoscope hat. Mumbling some false scientific 'facts' revolving around alchemy, the lizard moves forward and trips over Helga Hurtle, causing his science robes and googly glasses to flail about for a moment. Arriving at the sign up sheet, the reptilian scientist lets out a cackle as he scrawls the name "Dr. Wyverkian" on the scroll.

"Uhhh, Wyvern-" mutters Gryphon as he watches Wyvern depart, cringing as the lizard reappears again several minutes later in a military uniform with dark sunglasses "-only one sign-up per participant, please."

"That's Major Wyvernesh to you!" exclaims Wyvern, firmly marching towards the parchment before tripping over Helga Hurtle and falling flat on his face...

;-)

Thanks in no small part to a number of oversized signatures splashed across the signup sheet the original piece of paper is almost completely full, particularly since it contains a copy of Gryphon's original proclamation at the top of it.

The space at the bottom of the sheet while wide enough for a signature or maybe two is proving to be less than co-operative and ink is just sliding off it as random pennites come to sign their names up to take part in Gryphons Quill Quest.

At the very bottom of the parchment a small line of text appears:

Signups on hold, further interest should be directed to Gryphon in person or held until existing jobs are partially cleared. Thankyou for your patience.

~~~

OOC: I'm not closing signups - and there is still space on this parchment for at least one more signup for those who approached me on IRC... However I need to catch up a little before I consider taking more applicants since there are a few already there who are a challenge in their own right. ;)

Please PM me if you feel you missed out and I'll arrange something.

The Cabaret Room is quiet, silence rules the Pen as the world sleeps. Here and there whispers of sound come from those who have passed beyond the need for slumber, the scratching sound of quill to parchment, the dry rasp of a books page being turned or the rustle of cloth as one of the nocturnal pennites goes for a walk.

In one corner of the Cabaret Room, over near the Quill Quest signup sheets there is another noise, a quiet drip, drip, drip.

So quiet that during the day it would be unnoticeable, at night it is just the thinnest whisper of noise...

Drip, drip, drip...

Un-noticed by anyone, but sure to be noticed by the owner of the signature, the name Major Wyvernesh which was written boldly in Almost Draconic Brand Ink slips off the signup scroll creating a tiny red puddle on the floor.

Beneath it another name is revealed, shimmering slightly as though it had just floated to the surface of a potion instead of a page of scrollwork, Epinephrine's signature slowly becomes clear.

Edited by Gryphon