The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"Love Letters"

Ayshela

Ayshela pins back one tent flap, leaving the other closed to allow *some* privacy for those who prefer the advantage of surprise. With an impish grin she sets a sign outside the entrance reading:

Love Letters!

10 geld for your

penned notes of appreciation!

Walking back into the tent she surveyed the stacks of parchment and readied quills scattered about on the many writing surfaces. With a gleeful grin, she thought - this should be FUN!

~~~~~

What would the winter holidays be without a chance to tell those about us how much we appreciate them? Those we know well, it's often easy to give a word of thanks to. Those we know *less* well it's more difficult, but no less important.

Within this thread you can do one of two things, either is fine. The "Love letters" threads have been great fun, so if you want to write in that vein, feel free! Everyone should have a love letter, right? :) If that's just NOT your style, that's fine. A simple note of appreciation will do.

The object here is to choose an unsuspecting Pen member and write for them either a love letter or a letter of appreciation - and let them know what you appreciate, be it something specific they do or something they wrote that touched you or whatever. Letters can be posted on this thread, though if it ends up being more personal than you want to post here, PM it and send me a copy and i'll see that you're credited for it.

This can be done twice, at ten geld each letter.

Come on in and spread some cheer! :)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Loki,

I know i've dropped comment your way now and then before, but i also know there have been things i've been less than clear about - or simply not said. Lest you have forgotten, or i have been unclear, let me take a moment now to simply say thank you.

You are one of two people still writing here who consistently leaves me in confused, overjoyed amazement at seeing someone else put words to things i thought only i had felt. Your courage in saying what so many consider unspeakable, even unthinkable, has always impressed me. Your open honesty about what you think and what you feel, i've always admired.

I know that speechlessness does not translate well in a forum dependent on words, which all too often has left you confused about the response - or lack thereof - to your writing. Let me say now that i am glad that you are here, and i heartily appreciate your contributions.

I haven't said it nearly often enough, or clearly enough, i know - but thank you.

warm hugs,

Ayshela

Ayshela suddenly realizes that one important point wasn't as clear as it probably should have been. Any letters which are personal or private enough to be PM'd will, as a matter of course, have that confidentiality respected. There will be no public notification of "This person PM'd a letter to *that* person." because that would in effect make public a private matter. Those who wish to PM their letters will simply be listed on *my* private geld award list as having sent a letter, the recipient will not even be listed. Privacy *will* be honoured should that be desired. The important part of this is not that appreciation be public, but that it be given. :)

I've only time for the "A"s! But there are so many here to whom I have things to say, I'm not just stopping with two letters!

Consider the rest after the first two to be free - as love should be.

Aardvark,

Your stories are amazing. You engage all the senses, and although often rage-filled, your characters are very believable. You’re one of the few who writes non-fantasy here, and does it well. Every time I read one of your short stories, it inspires me to try to write one of my own. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to only write a little!

I think you’re a source of pleasure reading and inspiration for more than just me. Thank you for posting.

-Peredhil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alaeha,

I really appreciate your willingness to get involved and support the Pen. You have original ideas that unfortunately, like your Quill Quest idea, just fall through not because of you, but because of Pen apathy. Don’t give up. Your willingness to share your knowledge (sonnets and little feets anyone?) is something the Pen needs for growth, to balance it’s “nurturing” side.

-Peredhil

Alzorath,

I wish you could find your way here more. I know you see yourself more as a warrior than a writer, but instead of LotWR, I think you should think Japanese, where they could be one and the same. The times you do share of your view point and life experience, it’s always a cleansing wind that cuts through foggy thinking.

-Peredhil

Andrea Hawk,

I miss you Hon’. I can understand why you don’t drop by anymore, but I felt you’d won a place here of your own. The heart of poetry is that it expresses the heart. No matter how skilled and polished the words, if some shred of heart isn’t there, it is sterile. That’s why, in my opinion, I’ve never read a good computer generated poem. All this is say that I felt you had heart and passion in your words, and that the Pen was a place you could learn the skills. Thank you for the time you did grace us.

-Peredhil

Annael,

What can I say? You’re a Rae of light, a heart of gold. Endlessly supportive and giving, fiercely protective of friends. Forgiving and patient, and not a fallen angel, but just a tarnished one. The tarnish, I don’t think you realize, is from taking on other’s heavy burdens and trying to carry them yourself.

-Peredhil

Appy!

As a fellow mood-swinger I relate to so many of the things you say all too well. Your bravery in being honest is an inspiration. I should tell you – when you write, you *always* make sense to me, even when you think you mightn’t. Thank you for some of the IRC chats we’ve had. I can always count on you for support and an honest opinion.

-Peredhil

Arwen,

As my daughter, I’ve shared my heart with you enough times, that a love letter is a formality. It’s still nice to say it in print occasionally though: I’m proud of the woman you’re growing into.

-Peredhil

Ashton Blades,

Heh, I know you well in Real Life, and so I *know* you have more talents to show than just your free-style thread! I don’t see you enough in my house; you should hit the boards more often!

-Peredhil

Ayshela,

I think I’ll send this one PM… :P

Pip (Autumn Sun),

The one time I got to meet you in person, at Damon Inferel’s graduation, you and the others were pretty quiet. But that doesn’t mean I didn’t notice you. I know that with Damon’s absence, a part of your heart has gone away from the Pen, but some of us still miss you. Your haunt was the Conservatory, and rightly so – you RPed well.

-Peredhil

Behind Blind Eyes,

Thank you for making Arwen so happy. I’d say your eyes aren’t blind at all. I appreciate the supportiveness and patience you’ve shown to someone I love.

-Peredhil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Belizean,

Dude! I’m close to retirement and you’ve got me considering Belize as an option. :P We’ve come a long way since the S.o.Bs, I see you at The Reincarnation, but not nearly enough here at the Pen!

-Peredhil

Bhurin,

I really miss your sweeping poetry. You were able to carry off a nobility in both writing and Role Playing that amazed me. It seems like everyone I’ve read from Crystal Tides was good, but you were on of the best. Hope you’re doing well.

-Peredhil

Black,

Heh, you were a terrible God-Moder when I first read you on the Archmage UBB. Now you’re a pleasure to read, working with others to build the best story instead of competing against them for ego. It’s a delight to see someone grow and mature before my very eyes, without losing their love and joy of life.

-Peredhil

Black Caged Heart,

Your poety showed a familiarity with lonliness that’s always made me want to hug you. It was also pretty good. But amazingly, as so many lonely people don’t do, you would comment supportively on other’s pieces as well. I appreciate your willingness to give to others when still feeling like your emptiness needs filling. *hugs*

-Peredhil

Blondemoon,

Thank you for the greatest of heart you showed in forgiving me, when you were still in the depths of pain. I think I’ll just say I hope you get to swim with sharks, and hug you.

-Peredhil

Boaz,

Brother Bard, explorer of life, friend. We never talk as much together as I’d want to, but each conversation with you is a memorable gem. You should post more, because you’re much better than you’ll believe.

-Peredhil

Brute,

You unshaven lovable alcoholic you! Beloved of Melba the Almost Secretary of the Pen. But more seriously, a very good Role Player who taught many of us that it can be fun to be the butt of the joke – and much harder to do well. And it was impressive that you owned your items but they didn’t own you. Your giving up the Decanter of Endless Booze to a writing contest inspired many events after.

-Peredhil

Gwaihir,

Thank you for taking me on that date, and sharing more about who you are with me. You seem really interesting, despite your clumsiness and shyness. I hope to get to know you better, because I think we could make great friends. (And you take really good care of your wiggly cabbages)

*Hugs*

Zariah

Gwai (OC),

Thanks for being available to help me with anything I need help on. You are such a sweet and intelligent person and I am honored to share in the community of the Pen with you.

*Huggles*

Katy

Dear Ayshela,

You know, I've never been any good at saying anything that wasn't in some way shape or form confusing, sarcastic, or seeming to be words with no meaning, but I'm going to try this anyways. I know I've never said it, or not said it enough of how much I appreciate what you do around here, and how you've always been the best Ayshela an Ayshela can be, and of all the wonderful things you do and whatnot, so here it is. Along with a box of cookies that I...acquired....from a certain reptilicus....

Thank You.

Sincerely,

Xaious, Master of Time

Dear Shadows (Purple Shadows, that is),

Hey there. Hows it going, and whatnot, eh? How are the cute li'l vermin doing? But that's besides the point... I'm writing this to let you know how much I....appreciate you. That's right. All the time spent talking to you, it's all wonderful time spent. And trust me on that, I know time. And I've yet to find a better way to spend that time..Well, not really, but I don't think you'd believe me if I told you what the best way to spend time actually is.... Seriously, You wouldn't believe me. But anyways, here it is. Along with some serious huggles and a box of cookies that I...acquired....from a certain reptilicus....

You're a wonderful person..

Sincerely,

Xaious, Master of Time

Wyvern ~

Afraid I haven't talked with you much, but when I've logged into the IRC channel, you've always been one of the first to greet me, when you're there. I can't really express how much a simple acknowledgement is worth, but I thought you should know that I appreciate it.

And, of course, you have my respect for the time you continually spend reading and responding to every application to join the Pen. That, alone, is simply amazing.

~ Alaeha

Awesome idea, Ayshela!

No need to give me any geld, as I'm not much of an RPer.

To Peredhil:

For shadowing everyone's steps within the walls of the Pen. For replying to nearly everyone's posts. For always having a stream of supportive words to share. For having the patience to answer the questions of a novice. Master Elrond, you truly are the most polite ancient bard I have ever met. :D And I'm blown away that you're attempting to write love letters to every single member of the Pen alphabetically. Master Elrond, you really push the envelope at times. lol.

To HappyBuddha:

Dude, thanks for all the time you spent helping me set up my IRC stuff. Like I've said before I'm computer illiterate. You truly have a talent for deep, multifaceted poetry and I cannot wait to see more of your work. You were the first Pennite get closer to me, what with the IM and all. Thanks to you, I visit this keep much more often than I used to. Congrats on your promo...maybe we should do a Quill Quest together. Anyways, just thought I'd spread the love.

To Reverie:

I've always admired your work and I jumped at the opportunity to be able to work with you on Sand and its splinter poetry. You taught me a new term! I must say it was cool to meet a fellow Asian-American on the board. Good luck at school, whichever path you choose to take, and a happy holidays to you.

More coming later!

*Rhaps*

Edited by Rhapsody

Dearest Wavechild,

Our time was short, yet I remember it well. You were so young, so full of spirit in your aquatic insinuations, a tidal wave of hopeful enthusiasm in your poetic ways. I was that overgrown gecko tied in the wirings of the heart, along with the wirings of those Almost Dragonic Brand Christmas Decorations™ I tried to sell you. The wirings of the CIA may have also been involved, but that's another story. I remember that cute look of confusion on your face when you couldn't figure out if you had applied correctly, that wonderful look of disgust that overcame you when I first entered the Office, and that beautiful frown of dismay you cast at me when you deducted that I had a bias against water-related names. Alas, I suppose it was never meant to be... water-related gals and almost dragons simply don't mingle, as groping simply can't equate to getting wet in the minds of us lustful lizards. Since then, I've seen your occasional ripple in the Banquet Hall and have heard the soft sounds of your tide in the list of browsing members, but have otherwise watched you slowly recede into the great Ocean of Idleness that so many of our new applicants drown in.

Where are you now, my dear applicant? Is it an ottar den, a sea urchin cavern, the set piece that Disney discarded after filming "The Little Mermaid"? Is it an octupses garden under the sea? Are you celebrating inside of a yellow submarine? Do you wish that said yellow submarine was decorated with more festive colors? Well, you're in luck my dear! My initial offer of Almost Dragonic Christmas Decorations™ still remains, for while we may not be lovers, I will always cherish you as a costumer. Only 473 geld, plus salt water shipping and handling.

Hiss hiss,

Wyv~

Regel

I'm always happy to see you pop up in IRC even when I have to chase you down LOL. Your stories touch my heart. Thank-you for letting me get to know you and for pushing me beyond the brink on ocasion . *hugs*

Happy Buddah

For being wonderfully brutal when pulling apart my poems. ThoughI don't always take the advice Iappriciate it very much.

Peredhil ........ Well he knows

(more to come )

Blondmoon

I miss you hon! I wish that we could spend more time talking together, it's been ages. Send me your phone number again! I lost it! lol. Be brave my little one, the world isn't always a big and ugly place.

Saliyne

Hehe, advice giver. That's what I will always think of you as. Thank you for having more faith in me then I have in myself and nudging me to do what I have to, to get what I deserve.

To All & Everyone Of The Pen,

I know its been hard, I know its been ruff, but I promise to keep returning all your belonging even though you are the ones to loose them, but on to what I meant to say. Thank you for all the support on my writing, not many people believe and kender can do much more then steal and babble, which isnt true, cause of coarse we would never steal! There have been certain people that have helped me want to stay and keep writing, even though time and attitude get the best of me, but there are too many to post. But I think the biggest thanks would have to go out to; is Wyvern! Thanks for always making me want to write, learn how to RP better. You are a great Almost Dragon!

Merry Christmas !

:ph34r:

A note from Zariah posted on the wall with so m any other nice notes for other people. Anyone else would have assumed that these notes were for the public to read as well as the one they were addressed to, but not Gwaihir. He assumed that it must have been given to him and then lost by him, so he scratched his head in confusion. Then he read it and blushed hugely. But, perhaps someone would see him blushing and guess how he felt? In the big hall of the pen an elf tried very hard not to blush, but anyone who watched could have seen him turning purple and scratching his head instead. He drew a quill out of his robe and then blinked with surprise to find that it was still there.

Zariah,

I'm sorry that I lost your note to me, but I just found it on this bulletin board

no, no that wouldn't work, he drew a line through it and started over.

Zariah,

I just found your note on this bulletin board and I guess it must have fallen out of my pocket

But, that's boring and probably seems uncaring he figures.

My Dear Zariah,

No! That was much too forward, he had no right to call her his dear....but she was dear...Also, maybe it was unwise to tell her that he didn't even remember getting the note. This was all much too confusing!

Dearest Confusion,

I am sorry for taking so long to answer your note, but sometimes words to not answer my call. You can not guess how much I have missed you, and sometimes even a loner walks around looking for people. But, perhaps you are mad at me for not giving you an organized date or for letting it trail off into discussion at the end? But, I loved the discussion and well...Can I see you again?

Gwihir

He didn't even notice that his name was mis-spelled at the end, but although he knew the letter was imperfect, he knew that he wouldn't manage to perfect it anymore. With a shrug and a blush, Gwaihir folded it, wrote Zariah's name on the outside and then pinned it up with the others.

OOC:

Katy, always great to see you around whether you're busy or not. I still feel bad about not writing up a more organized ending to our date, but blame it on my Gwai side :P.

Take care,

Rachel

OOC: It's ok. Maybe some other time we can write another one up or something.

Zariah walked past the bulletin board to see if there was anything going on that was new for the festival. She saw her name on a piece of paper and pulled it off. She looked around and headed back to her room to open it in secret.

It was from Gwai! She read it twice and smiled to think he even remembered the fun time they had last fall.

"Maybe we can take more walks in the forest. We both love the outdoors...and I had a great time," she thought.

Zariah decided to hold her reply until she wrote some new thank you letters and tucked Gwai's under her pillow.

Edited by Zariah

Love Letters

Canid,

*A scritch behind the ears, and a freshly killed Rabbit.* I never did understand why they tried to kill you on the Apprentice UBB. I’ve always enjoyed your lupine RP, and when you step out from behind the avatar, your comments are always thoughtful, researched, and well-stated, but allow others to disagree. You were the first RPed wolf I’d ever met, and set the standard for me.

-Peredhil

Cerulean/Scarlett O’Harpy,

You’re such a spectacular poet and writer, and were one of my first online friends. I’m sorry I messed up so badly in giving advice on a relationship which was none of my business. I still cherish you as a friend, and await the day you breeze back into my life.

-Peredhil

Chamelea,

Hey, I’m so sorry that you’re so swamped at work. Plus all the rest of Real Life. I hope that someday you can pursue your dreams of writing, and that your path will lead you back here again. *hugs* Hang in there.

-Peredhil

Cheyenne,

Heh, I miss you a lot. It’s a long time since the Seekers of Babylon. You were the primary inspiration for the first poem I had published. Stay in touch with me.

-Peredhil

Cryptomancer,

Wow. You and your mates blew in and revitalized the Conservatory. From there you’ve made yourselves wonderfully at home in the Pen, and not only show energy, but talent. I’m really glad you came to our online home.

-Peredhil

Cyril Darkcloud,

You sent the standard for me in useful critical feedback that polishes a piece and affirms an individual both at the same time. I still use the desktop wallpaper you made for me. I miss having you around, and hope you find all the answers for which you’re seeking.

-Peredhil

Mon cher Peredhil,

I cannot thank you enough for the support you give me on several occasions, for having the patience of reading and correcting one of my translation, in other words, for being you. I always appreciate your wisdom and respect.

Joyeuses Fêtes,

Lady Celes Crusader

Mon cher Ozimandias,

I always appreciate your bigger than life attitude since it inspired me to go further. Your charms is able to move mountains and your big heart warms to coldest of our canadian winters.

Joyeuses Fêtes,

Lady Celes Crusader

Ma très chère Ayshela,

You keep doing an amazing job with the guilds and I admire you for that. Take good care of your health and keep letting this golden heart of yours shining.

Joyeuses Fêtes,

Lady Celes Crusader

To the wonder that is the Pen,

Lost and alone in a world of weariness and twisting paths, you blest me with a home. I walked alone for so long seeking a place to rest, to learn, to grow. In the welcoming halls of the Keep, I found all I seek.

In another lifetime, another world, I met a beauty, I was her that first introduced me to your company. Her friendship has given me the courage to write for you.

Mynx, my truest friend, thank you.

Salinye,

your warm welcome, and the part you played in getting us writing, is most likely what kept me here. Thanks for the greeting, the guidance, the welcome.

Thank you.

To all of the elders,

It is your combined strength that binds us all so closely in this place. Thank you for giving so freely of your time and skill. Having my talent acknowledged by you is one of the greatest honours I have had bestowed on my writing. I hope I can live up to the example you set.

:raven:

*being silly will write more later...*

To the Letter 'C,'

Thank you for your sturdy and steadfast nature. Though you may not have always been the right choice, you were always there for me. In moments of great worry and confusion, you never failed to to proclaim:

"Pick me! 'A' is just too silly and you picked 'B' last time, so it's really only a toss up between 'D' and me... And geez, do you really want to hedge you bets on a no-account 'D.' ...and Gosh look at the time... Tick, Tock, Tick Tock... only 10 minutes left Rev...So why not Pick me? Honestly Rev... Make a decision already."

The simpleness of your insite never failed to impress all that beheld you... And I being the lest worthy to share in your forture, did humble myself upon the great alter of your wisdom on ocassions far to numerous to recall or imagine...

So many to choose

When nothing is Obvious

The Answer is C.

in deep devotion and gratitude,

revery...

Edited by reverie

Damon Inferol,

For a while, you and your friends pretty much were the life of the Conservatory. As good a RPer as you were online, I think you were a neater person in life. Good luck in College! Stay in touch.

-Mr. Peredhil

Deadly Nightshade,

You have a voice for poetry that I miss. Plus your conversational postings in the Cabaret were fun to read. Come back!

-Peredhil

Degenaro Angelus,

From the Roving Poetic Reporter of Archmage UBB, to the Pen, to IRC, to Real Life issues, you’ve always been there for me. I tend to be the support of others often. There were times that you were the support and listening ear for me. You have all the normal confusions and questions of your age – and yet you rise up to help friends with a wisdom beyond your years. Thank you.

-Peredhil

Doctor Evil!

My oldest and dearest “Enemy”. I thank the Doctor for providing so many great plots and opportunities for Role Playing. The Peredhil hopes the Doctor and the Peredhil will remain in “conflict” for years to come.

Sincerely, Peredhil

DoPeY,

Yo yo homey where you been? We’re missing your voice here at the Pen. That rhymic master of Freestyling rap, clever and gentle but takin’ no crap. Friend and critic and that’s not all, your contributions here have not been small. Yeah. Yeah. Word up, yo!

-Peredhil

Dragonqueen,

Don’t give up hope, we’ll get your Quill Quest done! You’ve definitely shown the commitment and participation, but even more so, the “family feeling” which sets the Pen apart from other places.

-Peredhil

Drummondo,

Though you’re relatively new, you’re making an impact with posting and participation. You bring up some good points in the IRC thread – thank you for providing input into the Pen process. People of all ranks should feel free to have an opinion and to not feel intimidated by the “power voices” of the Pen. Good leadership by example in that regard. Plus, you’re active in the Carnival! Yays!

-Peredhil

Elvida,

You posted poetry for a while that was well worth reading. Where have you gone? Come back and post more. Although I haven’t been commenting much on anyone, I do read whenever I can.

-Peredhil

Elwen Lady of Stars,

You let me write about you once, and were gracious enough to put up with what resulted. I appreciate your good humor, and good Role Playing. Soooo, when are ya gonna do that Quill Quest?

-Peredhil

Ahh, but most of you are forgetting someone it would seem! Is it because he is a creature of the night? Or because vampires and their general undead-ness have a bad reputation?

Where would a Nether mage be without the Undead?

Where would Venefyxatu be without Black9? Probably not at the Mighty Pen, that's for sure. If it wasn't for Black9 and his enthusiasm, the way he kept talking about his ideas for stories and roleplaying projects, about the things he was working on and had written, about the events here at the Pen, I still wouldn't have signed up and I'd be missing out on a great deal of fun, a wonderful place full of acceptance and fantastic people.

So, thank you everyone for being the way you are and keeping the Pen for what it is.

But, especially, thank you Black9 for passing on your enthusiasm!

Dear Wyvern

Brutewieser after-scale scent wafts past my room and I look upt to see only the tip of your tail slide by my door. I wonder where you are off to in such a hurried shuffle. What wonderful thing have you dreamed up?

You have such an incredibly creative mind and a talent for mayhem. Worth every ruined dress and squashed toe just to see you smile and scheme.

Dragonic eyes that swirl with mirth and fun when the opportunity for geld is near are wonderful to watch.

I know we havn't had a lot of time together. Only a dance or two and a meeting in your office for my application. you tried to sell me cream or such. ...

Did I ever tell you I thought you were cute ?

:wub:

Wren Windsong

*rushes to post before she chickens out*

To Joat,

Though, our path rarely cross, thanks for inviting me on to join the Pen way back when... But fairs only fair, I guess... You gave me an invitation, and I gave you an introduction. Well you know what I mean... You always were an inspiration.

Take care,

revery_tdc

To Rydia, Trimz and all the rest,

Thank you for being you. Your honest (sometimes brutally honest) and straight forward approach to dealing with all things pen, is if nothing else refreshing. Hey my blood froze a few time too, and i didn't always have the guts to says it. You did and that's just great. It's no exaggeration, when I say that of all the great and varied pen opinions out there both past and present, I respect yours above all others...

keep on keeping on fearless one,

reverie.

To Signe,

Well what can I say, thanks for always being there. You were and still are a wonderful muse.

don't be a stranger,

revery.

To Rhapsody,

Thanks for all the help in the writer's workshop. Your background and interests intrigue me. Always great to meet to a fellow lover of music, literature, and water...

good luck in your studies,

rev...

Ok, so I'm really bad with words...or at least when it comes to actually talking to people about stuff and such, and since i haven't managed to come up with the perfect letters I was planing on, well, I'm just going to have to wing it. So here goes:

Falc-

Thanks for telling me about the pen and getting me all interested and such. Also thanks for helping me with my computer when needed, and figuring out IRC.

Aleaha-

Thanks for reminding me about the pen a year after I told you about it, so that I could finally sign up. I don't hear from you as much as I'd like to, but when i do, it's always entertaining. I miss reading your poetry, and I can't wait to vist.

I also still hold very firmly to the opinion that you would be a most excelent fool for halloween.

Xaious-

You are Xaious, and I enjoy that very much. You never cese to keep me entertained, especially whemn I am tired and you are even more so.

OCC: more to come! yay for lists!*hugs* I love you all