The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Fall Ball

Ayshela

Dressed to the nines in his finest garb (Plain khakis, a black t-shirt, his long brown seude trenchcoat and a simple fedora) Stick hurried down the halls towards the Cabaret room. As he got nearer to his destination he slowed his pace remarkably. No need to rush in plain view of everyone. Calmly walking forward now, the doors to the hall were within sight. The tall warrior put on his smoothest grin and boldly approached the bouncers.

Man, he thought to himself, this should be good. All my buddies will be here, not to mention, so many chicks I haven't embarassed myself in front of. This'll be fun, I hope.

"Invitation please." one of the bouncers grunted.

"Oh yeah, that, no problem." Stick stuck his hand inside of his jacket and felt around. He was sure he put the invitation in there. In fact, he remembered it clearly. He put the invitation inside his jacket, just before he jumped in the shower... and... "Hey guys, uh look..."

"No invitation, no entrance. Don't wanna hold up the line now."

"Aw, come on... you know me, I'm The Big Pointy One! BigPointyStick! Lord of all that is wooden and sharp! Come *ON*!"

"Sorry bub. Can't let you in without an invitation."

"Hey, let's be reasonable here. I know Ayshela's a friendly girl... I'm sure she wouldn't mind... yeah!" Stick makes a run for the hall doors, but is caught by one of The Mighty Bouncers.

"Like I said, no invitation, no entrance. Now scram, kid, you're scaring the newcomers." with that, the bouncer hurled Stick down the hall, where he sailed straight out an unfortunately open window...

~Five minutes later~

Dressed up in a miniature black tuxedo, Mr.Bunny hops down the hall and nods to the bouncers.

"Invitation?"

"..." Mr.B yanks Stick's invitation from his tux and hands it to the bouncer, who nods and admits the little brown rabbit into the hall. Smoothing his hair with a paw, Mr.Bunny hops over to his gracious hostess and offers her a delicious looking carrot wrapped in a blue and gold ribbon.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turning back toward the door, Ayshela caught a flicker of movement in the shadows. Turning to look more closely, she saw Alzorath settling in to sketch. Smiling and raising a hand in greeting and welcome, she turned back and let him be. The shadows were there for those who preferred them, whatever force of life, death, or circumstance it was that made them preferable.

Lady Celes Crusader swept in, in a dazzling and very distracting gown. Ayshela tried valiantly to focus on the conversation, but only managed it as the Cafe's cook and waitress appeared with a lovely selection of food to add to the buffet. "Oh! Thank you so much, Lady Celes! i had intended for you to have the evening off and be able to properly enjoy yourself, but food from your kitchen is always welcome! Thank you, and please do enjoy yourself." She stood watching Lady Celes and Cambronne join the rest of the guests, wondering idly how long it would be before Cambronne pounced the moving pearls.

Ayshela jumped slightly as Merelas appeared beside her. "Oh! i'm sorry, i was distracted and didn't see you." Merelas bowed and asked her to dance. With a gleeful grin, she said "i'd LOVE to!" and they swept off across the dance floor. As they danced she noticed Salinye coming in, with an understanding smile as she located Ayshela and Merelas. Ayshela sent her welcome with a smile and quick wink, then her attention returned to conversation and dancing. Such FUN, she'd not been dancing in more years than she cared to remember, and with such a splendid dancer it was a real treat. The music ended much too soon, and Merelas began to walk her back toward the door. Stopping at the edge of the dance floor, Ayshela hesitated a moment then said "i do know that it's terrible manners to ask a favor after receiving such a treat, but i'm hoping you'll forgive my rudeness if i do anyway." Seeing his quizzical look, she leaned up and whispered briefly in his ear. "Oh? I hadn't noticed. Of course, it would be my pleasure." he said, with a reassuring pat of the hand still on his arm. "Thank you so much!" Ayshela said, hugging him warmly before they parted ways, she back to the door and he on his small task.

The ballroom doors opened with a flourish as Annael entered, scowling slightly at the guards. She came in in a fluster of apologies which Ayshela tried to soothe, but was caught speechless at the sight and sound of fluttering, tinkling butterflies all over the room. Before she could try again to assure Annael that she wasn't at all late, and was more than welcome, Annael had smiled and drifted off leaving a black feather fluttering toward Ayshela's feet. As she picked it up, she looked toward Annael again and made a mental note to speak to her at some point. She looked so sad..

"Oh! Now how did i miss Alaeha?" she wondered, spotting her across the room. "Oh, i bet she came in while i was dancing. i hope she'll forgive my not welcoming her personally. i wonder if i missed anyone else?"

Interrupting her moment of worried fluster came the booming announcement "Lady Wren Windsong." Turning back toward the door, Ayshela beamed a smile of welcome and embraced her warmly. "I'm so GLAD you could come!" Hugging her again, Ayshela whispered "we make quite a tangle of green fabric and long hair, don't we?" and giggled softly.

She still had a bemused smile when Gyrfalcon, Daryl, and Jehane entered, making a stunning spectacle for anyone watching. She blushed at Gyrfalcon's greeting, but grew a mite concerned as he said "Despite not being a fan of formal events, I think I'll enjoy my time here, thanks to your efforts." Laying her hand softly on his arm she said "As long as you all enjoy yourselves, any amount of effort would be well worthwhile." She greeted Daryl and Jehane as well, then passed them along inside to greet the new arrival.

Zariah peered inside, then stepped shyly into the ballroom. Ayshela welcomed her, but must have startled her as Zariah responded in an embarassed flurry and turned quickly away before Ayshela could soothe her or say more than "welcome, enjoy yourself."

Orlan came in looking as if he'd been painting half the world, and for a moment Ayshela wasn't sure if he was confused, or if she was. Having found his invitation, his dress clothing, and his extremely scantily clad companion, he stood pondering for a moment and handed Ayshela - a business card? She took it and read it, then looked at him in puzzlement. Suddenly the business card disintegrated into falling sand! Ayshela jumped and caught the sand, which formed back into the business card?? Curiouser and curiouser. Staring at the card in puzzlement, she heard Orlan say "best not to get it wet," as he and Rapier strolled off to mingle. "Indeed." Ayshela said, holding the card extremely carefully and taking it over to the table where the other gifts lay.

Tzimfemme and Elladan strolled casually in, though it rather looked as if they were both seething. Looking closely, and judging discretion to be the better part of valour, Ayshela merely smiled, said "good evening and welcome" and let them stroll on. Watching Elladan, she noticed that he looked as if he'd prefer twelve inches of solid stone at his back, a feeling she wholeheartedly agreed with. Maybe she'd keep an eye out, see where he settled, and once everyone had arrived she'd be free to find a wall of her own to hold up. Between the two of them they should be able to keep the place properly covered. Looking over the Ballroom again, one eyebrow raised, she quickly calculated possibilities. Should be able to, certainly.

She was pulled away from speculation by a gentle tug on her skirt. Looking down, she saw Rune and felt a huge smile spreading across her face. Quickly stooping down, she greeted Rune face to face. Rune had made a beautiful card! With a twinkle as she thought about how a red crayon could get all used up, Ayshela assured Rune that purple was one of her very favorite colours, and the card was beautiful. Rune suddenly drew a semicircle in the air and touched the card and a million glowing balls of light surrounded Ayshela and spun off rapidly before disappearing. Ayshela hugged Rune gleefully and thanked her again before going to greet the next guests.

Caryon strode through the doorway, seemingly preoccupied and suddenly startled by the number of people already at the ball. Ayshela walked up to him slowly, so as not to startle him, and laid her hand on his arm. "Welcome to the Fall Ball. I'm so glad you could come. Please, do come in." As Caryon regained his composure, he turned to Ayshela and said "Thank you for inviting me." A determined look crossed his face, and he bowed and passed on into the crowd.

William Azunost appeared hard on Caryon's heels. As Ayshela turned to welcome him, he bowed and said "Good evening, I trust this is the Fall Ball?" With a smile Ayshela assured him that it was, and welcomed him in to enjoy himself.

As he strode by, Ayshela backed toward the corner by the door with a weary sigh. Scanning the crowd, she tried to remember how many invitations she'd given out and who might not be here yet. She was quickly reaching the end of her crowd tolerance and would simply *have* to find a few moments to disappear outside, preferably someplace deep in the shadows and in a corner somewhere. "This was YOUR idea" she reminded herself. "I know, i know, and i'll see it through. It's necessary, it's fun, but gods what a lot of people!" Scanning the crowd again, she admitted wryly "and old instincts die hard. It's not that i specifically distrust any of them, but.." Shaking her head and sighing, she moved to the wall over toward the door and leaned back against it to await any further arrivals.

Ayshela stretched gently and moved back toward the door. There seemed to be some sort of commotion outside, but as she took a step toward the door to see what was up, but it was quiet long before she got there. Shrugging, she turned back toward her "duty station" and wished she'd worn lower heeled shoes.

A few moments later, Mr. Bunny hopped over and presented her a tastefully wrapped carrot. Thanking him solemnly, she accepted the carrot and welcomed him to the ball.

She watched him hop in toward the crowd, then looked thoughtfully toward the door. Placing the carrot on the gift table, she strode to the door and opened it quickly, interrupting the guards in the middle of a less than tasteful joke. Ayshela looked from one to the other, knowing they would see determination and a decided lack of fear. "Gentlemen." she said evenly. "I am, and have been, expecting every one of the Pen Keep's residents and honoured guests to arrive at the ball this evening. While i appreciate the efforts of the Powers That Be who placed you here, know now that i will not tolerate interference in the arrival of my guests. Anyone who appears with an invitation, or without if they are known to belong here, is to be allowed in." She paused for a heartbeat, and intercepted a guilty look passing between them. In a tone that would have frozen seven devils, she asked "Is that QUITE clear?" She looked at the guard on the left, but he was unable to find words. She looked at the guard on the right, who stammered "Y-Yesmaam!" Nodding minutely, she said "Very good." and re-entered the ballroom.

Edited by Ayshela

Tamaranis broke the seal and read the letter he’d just received, immediately recognizing Salinye’s handwriting.

Tamaranis. There is something you must know. I’ve discovered a conspiracy going to the deepest roots of The Pen. You’re one of the only ones I can trust isn’t involved.

The flow of words became jagged, as if Salinye had not been able to hold her hand steady when penning it

I can’t do anything to stop this alone. I can’t suppress my fear of this thing. You’re presence is needed...

A horrible fate awaits us all if we should fail.

Meet me in the old ballroom when you receive this.

Best of luck.

Salinye.

Salinye had been through enough not to exaggerate the extent of a threat. If she said something threatened all of The Pen and that he should act immediately, then it was probably true. Moving by darkness, Tamaranis reached The Pen’s keep in minutes. He didn’t shadow directly into the ballroom, if Salinye had been discovered there could be an ambush waiting there.

He stalked through the halls quickly, ready to either draw a sword or unleash magic as the situation demanded, magical senses extended, searching for any sign of hostility. Even for evening, the halls of the mighty keep were strangely absent of activity.

As Tamaranis neared the ballroom he was dismayed to find the doors shut him out completely. Neither sound nor any supernatural sense revealed to him what was inside. All he was able to detect were a pair of seemingly human guards at the door. Something must have gone wrong. They shouldn’t be there.

Already quite shaken by their encounter with Elladan, the doormen were none to enthused to see a figure that the light refused to watch rapidly approaching. Ayshella's warning was clear in their minds, but this guy definately didn't have the look of some one who just coming to a ball. They wanted to make it up to themselves, prove they could guard a door properly. Nervously they held out their blades and began to demand to be shown an invitation.

Tamaranis showed no sign of stopping to converse with them however. He seemed intent on walking right through them as if they weren’t there. One of them pointed his blade so that the vampire would impale himself on it if he continued on his course.

Tamaranis’ own sword swept out, propelled by inhuman strength. The drow steel bit into the guards blade, and the power behind it carried his weapon from his hand. Suddenly the guard found that his sword was sliding down the hall away from him.

At the same time Tamaranis’ free hand grabbed the other guard around the top edge of his ceremonial breastplate. He tightened his grip, leaving an impression in the soft metal, and he tossed the man in the direction opposite the way the sword went with the same seeming lack of effort. After coming painfully to a stop the guard decided to stay where he was.

The only man standing in his way being safely disarmed, Tamaranis did indeed walk straight into him, allowing just enough energy flow to knock him to the floor. His body attempted to deal with the unnatural injury the way it would exhaustion, and he found himself gasping for breath, but not recovering his strength as a result.

It occurred to Tamaranis that he’d overcome his only opposition in only a few seconds, and that was far to easy for something that was threatening the whole of The Pen as he stepped over his incapacitated opponent.

Opening the ball-room doors, he discovered the answer to why that was. He’d just stomped the token guards for the first ball to be held here in perhaps ever.

He felt something akin to embarrassment for the first time in nearly as long.

Edited by Tamaranis

Ayshela stood near the door once again, wondering who had assigned such hamhanded guards, and if they'd be intelligent enough to get the idea. Her idle curiosity was quickly put to rest as once again sounds of commotion arose outside the doors. Sighing heavily, she started toward the doors - but had yet to reach them when they opened to reveal a very startled and somewhat abashed Tamaranis. With a glad cry, Ayshela greeted him and welcomed him to the ball. Leaning aside to look around him, she glared at the guards and said "Serves you right." She turned back and began to stroll into the ballroom with Tamaranis. "I'm SO glad you could come! i wasn't sure you'd been back to get your invitation yet, and didn't know where to find you, but however you heard - i'm glad you did."

Daryl whispered in Jehane's ear a moment, then drew Gyrfalcon off to the side.

Daryl grinned at Gyrfalcon "You said you were going to dance if Jehane could actually make it." the thief reminded Gyrfalcon, who blinked before remembering and responding.

"I was joking, you fur ball!" the half-elf exclaimed.

Daryl snickered. "Too bad, a promise is a promise. And look, Salinye wants to dance. Ask her to dance."

Gyrfalcon looked uncomfortable, eyeing the first dancers, who were whirling through a complex pattern. He studied the pattern more closely, and he shook his head. "Heh, amazing how memories come back. I actually know that dance, though it's been a good hundred years since I had to dance it." the half-elf admitted.

Daryl smiled "I guess when they call it a classic dance, they really mean classic!" He glanced at Jehane and Salinye, who were talking quietly, then at Gyrfalcon, grinning. "Ask her."

The half-elf sighed. "You're a cruel, cruel werefox, Daryl, making me dance."

Daryl grinned "The ladies like dancing, and we should live to please them. Or at least, that's what Jehane tells me." The two share a chuckle.

"You two go on, I'll catch up to you in a moment." Gyrfalcon said. Daryl nodded and returned to Jehane's side, whisking her out onto the dance floor. Salinye stared after them with a muted sigh, wishing she could join in on the dance, one she had quite enjoyed dancing in her home city, before... well, before too many things had happened. It had been a long time since she had had an opportunity to dance.

"Greetings, oh beautiful elven princess," she heard a familiar voice begin by her side, and she closed her eyes, a blush finding its way to her cheeks. That.... ranger! "I couldn't help but notice that you seem to be without a dancing partner at the moment. Unfortunately, Daryl seems to be occupied, so may I offer myself as a poor substitute?"

Salinye opened her eyes and stared at Gyrfalcon. "You actually want to dance?" she asked, a bit incredulously.

Gyrfalcon grinned, his eyes dancing with humor as he continued. "With such a beautiful lady to dance with? What man would dare refuse?" He said, teasing her. Salinye blushed again on cue and glared at him.

"You stop making me blush! I'm warning you, I am a great and eeeeevil sorceress!" Salinye threatened.

Gyrfalcon continued to grin. "Then I must dance with you now, for now that your beauty and grace have lured me in, for fear of your dread powers I must continue my course!"

Salinye blushed a little deeper, but then couldn't help but start laughing. "You sound like a cheap novel." she chided the ranger, who chuckled and nodded.

"I know, that was the point. I would like to dance with you, however." Gyrfalcon said, switching from humor to seriousness.

Salinye started to protest that she didn't want Gyrfalcon to have to make himself uncomfortable for her sake, then changed her mind and merely smiled slightly. After all, he had offered to dance with her, she might as well take him up on it.

Gyrfalcon held out his arm, and Salinye took it, letting the half-elf lead her out onto the dance floor.

"I assume you know this dance?" Gyrfalcon asked quietly, question already being answered as each fell into the appropriate pose to begin this dance, waiting for the correct beat to start.

"Of course!" Salinye said indignantly as they slowly begun to spin on the first beat, their feet stepping slowly at first in what looked to be a complex pattern, but was in fact a fairly simple one... when moving slowly. The test of skill came as they slowly sped up their motions, wheeling through the steps of dance, each repetition coming a bit faster. Salinye floated through the dance with the typical elven grace, and Gyrfalcon flowed with the smooth balance of a trained fighter, the steps of the dance vivid in his mind as he unconsciously responded to the flow of the music and the dance.

"I thought you said you couldn't dance!" Salinye said, laughing at him. Gyrfalcon grinned but didn't shrug, not wanting to break the flow. "Of course I can't, I'm just walking and letting you dance, can't you tell?" he said.

Salinye laughed again, both in response to his words and as she caught site of Daryl and Jehane. If they were dancing to the music, it was only by implication, for they were lost in a slow dance of their own, their attention focused solely on the private world they existed in at the moment.

Salinye couldn't help smiling for them, and Gyrfalcon chuckled. "I swear, put them together and they could just sit in utter silence, watching each other." the half-elf observed.

"I think they're cute together." Salinye said.

"Very true." Gyrfalcon said, shaking his head slightly as he and Salinye spun a circuit around the two oblivious lovebirds.

The song continued for many minutes before slowly winding down to its end, and the dancers stopped as applause rose from the observers around them. Daryl and Jehane blinked as they broke free of their private little world and looked around.

"Oh yeah. I guess the dance is over." Daryl observed.

"It seems that way. Let's dance another time." Jehane responded, and the two whirled away as the musicians struck up a quicker tune.

"Up for another dance, ranger?" Salinye challenged. Gyrfalcon grinned. "You're on."

The shadows in the corner of the room were liquid, dancing in the flickering light of the candles. The threshold was low enough that the Paths could still use the darkness, but the flow of variation made the non-place in which she waited uncomfortable and ticklish. It was as if she stood in turbulent waters, feeling the ebb and flow of pressure changes all along her body. If Yui-chan hadn't been so preoccupied, she might well have found it a fascinating effect.

But for now, her thoughts were firmly fixed on the tableau before her, the massive ballroom crowded with people and filled with beautiful decorations and melodic music. It was a gorgeous event, already; friends and new acquaintances milled about, chatting and sharing and laughing, a majority of their faces plastered with brilliant smiles. On the spacious dance floor, a dozen couples whirled about to a waltz, their motions and gay dress combining to turn that area into a riotous swirl of colors and sparkles and light. Salinye and Gyrfalcon smiled brightly at each other as they moved with a grace inherent in all things elven, leading her thoughts towards no small amount of speculation. Nearby, Daryl danced with a lovely woman she didn't recognize, and her eyes followed the figure curiously. Wrenwind and Regel glided around each other, the latter looking a tad embarrassed and quite well-smitten as he gazed at his partner. Over by the bar, Lady Celes was crouched down, stroking her beloved cat while, nearer to the door, she could see Orlan and an angelic-winged woman as well as Ayshela and Tamaranis, both couples meandering slowly towards the dance floor. Even Elladan, Peredhil's son, seemed to be making his way happily enough with a predictably-naked Tzimfemme on his arm. There were many others she recognized of course, some by name and face only, some who were so familiar that they might as well have been kin.

The young woman in the shadows sighed. It would be fun. She knew in her head that it would be, but her spirit still quailed enough to keep her from stepping through the Path and into the ballroom. It wasn't shyness or nerves that halted her. It was more complicated than that, probably far more irrational, and she couldn't ... pin it down. The crowd made her nervous, the crush of people intimidating. It felt like to walk into it would be to step into the maw of the beast and be swallowed, eaten up and hidden away. The word 'claustrophobic' came to mind, but Yui did not fear tight spaces when the walls were wood or stone. She was only afraid when the walls were warm bodies and watching faces. Among the throng, she always felt like the outsider, whether it was true or not, and though she suspected that she would settle into place among so many friends and respected peers, she wasn't sure she wanted to find out. She didn't want to be disappointed in herself.

Temae Yui scoffed at herself, smoothing her hands nervously down the smooth fabric of her cloak. She felt like a child, but she couldn't help but wish that Aegon had been able to come with her. On his arm, she had an anchor in the crowd, a place to return to when the crush threatened to swallow her. He was always that kind of influence on her, the solidifying presence that kept her from fading like a shade in daylight.

She sighed unhappily and wondered what kind of flaw inside would leave her, a strong and capable woman, wringing her hands on the periphery of such a simple event. It was exceedingly silly - utterly, ridiculously, foolishly so. And yet, for a while longer at least, it kept her hidden on the Path outside the reality of the ballroom, gnawing at her lip in worry and feeling like an utter coward.

Cioden stood near Yui in the presentation of the physical realm, but in the shadowplane, they were miles apart. He chuckled dryly, but his heart wasn't in it. Much as he hated to admit it, when her thoughts reverberated along the shadowplane, he agreed completely. He would never feel completely at ease here...but for different reasons than Yui would.

You can never truly kill a conscience.

DoomGaze stared at her blankly, and sighed after he repeated those unfamilar words "Good times." He honestly never experienced any times where he felt good, other than this ball. He had never ever known a good time before this either. All his life was the opposite, filled with sorrow and grief. He frowned at Annael, because he could not really talk about that subject.

"Sorry Annael, over time sadness has made its home within me and ever since, I've been trying to cope with it, in other words, I can be called the Angel of Sorrow.. for now..." He made a half smile, to show that he was trying to change that.

He then gazed at the floor, thinking within thoughts as he closed his eyes. Annael then commented on his wings to try and change subject, "Such beautiful wings they are."

He opened his eyes and stared back at her "They are, aren't they?" A small but visible smile emerged from his face. He sighed again having the feel to apologize for his misunderstood silence. "I'm sorry that I can't be talkative at sometimes."

"It's okay." she replied. He got up from the bench, and looked around, then looked back down, "Seems that people here are happy when they are dancing," he struggled trying to finish his sentence, "Would you care to.. ummmm.... dance?"

He held out his hand, awaiting Annael's response with a smile.

When Parmenion received the scroll of invitation he was pleasantly surprised. It seemed as if nobles and illustrious members of all walks from the land had been invited, from high-born elves to ancient dragons and some of the more mystical beings aswell. Having met with Ayshela on only a few previous breif encounters at more courtly functions he was greatly "chuffed" to receive such a prestigious invite.

He laid out his finest robes and shined his scabbard and oiled his sword for most of the morning. He still felt he would be under-dressed as his wardrobe did not amount to much. He was usually far too busy off on one campaign or another to worry too much about the latest fashions but he had a sense of style even with simple garments.

He decided on his silken white tunic. It was loose and would not get too uncomrtably warm as the evening progressed even if he decided to dance a while. He also decide on some loose black pantaloons tucking them into his high black polished boots. Standing in front of the mirror he was quite bemused. He really looked the part of a swashbuckling adventurer. Taking up his sword and scabbard he thought better to himself. It may look good and its comfort was great but not this night. Instead he chose a small talisman on a frayed piece of string and put it around his neck inside of his shirt. Looking in the mirror again he decided to undo the top two buttons of the shirt and gave himself a wry smile.

He arrived at the ball when it already appeared to be getting going. He spotted several people inside which he knew to speak with but chose instead to seek out Ayshela and give her the gift he had brought along. It was a simple ointment that he had picked up several weeks previously from a shaman friend. The ointment when rubbed into the skin made the skin darker and seem more tanned. He had never really been good at picking gifts but thought she might enjoy this or at least find a use for it.

As he looked around for Ayshela he spotted a ruckus in the middle of the hall. He watched feeling quite giddy as a pair of revelers crashed to the floor in front of the esteemed Peredhil. The elven one caught his eye as she hurriedly scrambled to her feet abashed. He made a mental note to wander past that one later on. Turning smartly on his heel as he dragged his eyes away from the elf he almost bowled over Ayshela.

"Ha! Just the lass I was looking for. To think I was laughing to myself at that pair yonder and I nearly went and done the same thing myself!" he laughed. "Thank you for your invitation my dear. It had nearly gone astray as I was busy abroad...ah but I have forgotten my manners..."

He leaned forward catching Ayshela's elbows with his hands and gently kissed to the side of each cheek.

"I have brought a gift that I though might interest you".

He explained briefly the properties of the ointment knowing there must be many guests seeking her out.

"You will of course save me one dance tonight won't you?" he winks with a mischevious grin.

After a quick sprint back to the Mighty Treehouse, Stick had changed out of his more conspicuous trenchcoat and gear, and into a more elaborate if not provocative get up. He wore a pair of loose, loose black silk pants, held up by a thin green and gold trimmed sash, paired with a blue silk vest, also embroidered with gold thread along the seams and cuffs. Not bothering with shoes or undershirt, Stick again padded quickly yet quietly down the halls towards the ballroom. This time however, instead of trying to walk in the main doors, Stick carefully climbed out the window (making sure not to jump this time... it wasn't Peredhil's birthday, after all.) and scaled along the outer ledges. With much precision and grace equivalent to that of a thirteen-year old dwarf, Stick swung out a grapling line and attempted to swing back in through the ballroom window. Unfortunately for Stick, his line was too long, and he ended up swinging in through a window the floor beneath.

Back in the ballroom, Mr.Bunny was doing his best to mingle with all the newcomers, but was kind of disappointed that none could understand rabbit. Unfortunately for him as well, he had forgotten all his translator ears back in The Mighty Treehouse. Shrugging, he just bobbed his head to the music, sure enough that someone sooner or later would be able to communicate with him. To his delight the little demoness Rune happened upon him.

"..." he offered in greeting, and she crinkled her nose in response. (At least she tried...) he thought to himself. Giving his best bunny-rabbit smiled and escorted himself onto the dance floor, doing his best not be trampled by those who braved it's surface. About that time, the doors opened again, admitting Sliver, Stick's ranger friend. The almost-short human was dressed in similar garb to Mr.Bunny; he was wearing a black tuxedo with a dark, shimmering green bowtie. On his arm was Roxxia, the elven ranger-cleric who is also a companion of Stick's. She was wearing a long blue dress of some secret elven material that seemed to glimmer with each step she took. On her head she wore the same golden circlet she usually wore, but it seemed to shine more than usual tonight. Her hair was partially tied into a bun at the back, while the rest fell freely behind her. Following closely behind was Rocoss, Roxxia's twin brother, dressed in an older formal military suit appropriate for such occassions as this. He looked extremely nervous for some reason; it was probably because of the same reason Stick was so excited. Of course, to Rocoss' advantage, he looked really well in his get up, and if his eyes were anywhere but the floor, he'd be catching a lot of approving glances. Letting his sister and friend do what they would, he calmly looked for an open space of wall.

Elsewhere, the skittering of wheels could be heard through The Pen's hallways...

Edited by The Big Pointy One

Salinye swirled, dipped and flowed with the music her steps led expertly by Gyrfalcon. She found herself pleasantly surprised that the ranger could dance and began adding a bit of fancy footwork here and there to test his knowledge. Smirking the ranger not only kept up with her but also threw in some moves of his own for her to follow. The true surprise, however, came when he kept her on the dance floor for a third song. This one was much slower song with a simple and sweet tempo allowing them the opportunity to talk.

Glancing up at him she smiled with a slight laugh. He looked down at her quizzically. “What was that laugh for?” He asked returning her smile.

“Because you’ve been LYING to me.” She accused playfully.

“LYING to you? How so?” He asked.

“By telling me you couldn’t dance.”

“I never said I couldn’t dance.” He smirked.

“Okay, you said you didn’t like to dance, and I think it’s quite apparent you’re enjoying yourself, ranger.”

“I never said I didn’t like to dance, either.”

Salinye narrowed her eyes. “You did so!” She almost stopped their sway with her playfully defiant statement.

“No,” he started with a chuckle at her reaction. “I said I “don’t” dance, and I usually don’t.”

“Then why are you tonight?” She asked sincerely curious.

He shrugged adding, “Seems like the appropriate thing to do at a Ball, doesn’t it?”

Salinye shook her head still smiling. “I’ll never figure you out, GyrE.”

“Well, if on the off chance you do. Send me a memo, will you?” Salinye rolled her eyes at his response and was about to add a retort when she eyed Tamaranis standing at the entrance. She was about to catch his eye and wink at him letting him know she was glad he came when upon closer inspection she noticed his expression was one of withheld irritation.

He scanned the crowd and as his eyes neared their direction Salinye pulled Gyrfalcon to her and turned so they were more deeply buried within the dance floor. The half elf looked down at her mildly amused. “You’re not starting some more fancy footwork to see if I can keep up, are you?”

The mage shook her head no as she stood upon her tiptoes to peek over his shoulder again and noticed the vampire was no longer standing upon the threshold. She nervously glanced around her. “Sal, what’s wrong?” He asked the cheer in his face fading into light seriousness. Looking up into his face and seeing his sincere worry caused Salinye to suddenly feel a bit guilty.

“Don’t look at me like that, ranger. Nothing is wrong…per say.” She continued standing upon her tip toes to peek over his shoulder now and then looking around slightly paranoid.

“Salinye.” He gently placed his hands on her shoulders and pushed her back to look her in the face. “What’s wrong?”

Salinye sighed then took a deep breath looking up into his eyes suddenly feeling much like school child caught stealing the teachers apple. In one long breath she quietly rambled off an explanation. “Well, I really wanted Tam to come. You know, he says he has no emotions, but I’m sure that’s wrong and it just wouldn’t be the same here without him, so I sort of….intercepted his invitation with a note of my own.”

Gyrfalcon stared at her raising an eyebrow “…which said…”

In one more complete breath Salinye nervously continued on, “Something to the degree of needing his help to stop a fate worse than death please meet me in the ball room….But I really thought he would KNOW about the ball and see my antics for the joke it was. I mean he WOULD consider a ball a fate worse than death. I wanted to offer encouragement with humor hoping he would be put at ease and know he was wanted here and…” Stopping she sucked breath back in not sure what to say.

Gyrfalcon didn’t say a thing for a long moment, then just shook his head and sighed before chuckling. "You... are you sure Daryl isn't rubbing off on you? What possessed you to do that?"

“I just really wanted him here.” She replied sincerely looking completely disappointed that she had perhaps ruined what was the start of a wonderful evening.

Gyrfalcon chuckled "Ah, how boring my life would be, without friends like you and Daryl. Once this dance is done, lets go collect Tamaranis and apologize, shall we?"

Salinye’s eyes widened. “Find Tamaranis? Are you crazy! From the look on his face, he clearly did not know about the ball. He’ll be furious with me.” Gyrfalcon couldn’t help but laugh as he pulled Salinye back into the appropriate embrace to continue their dance.

“Are you sure I have to apologize now?” She asked swaying stiffly to the music.

“Yes, Salinye. I’m sure.”

“How about after the ball?”

“No, it definitely needs to be right away.” He couldn’t keep the humor out of his voice as the song ended.

“Oh, you’re just having a grand time with this, aren’t you?” She whispered nervously as he stepped away from her.

“Of course.” He winked before turning to wade through the crowd only to realize Salinye hadn’t followed but remained firmly planted where he left her. Walking back he looked at her nervous face and laughed once again as a new melody sprang to life.

“Oh, look.” Salinye said half-heartedly. “Another song, shouldn’t we dance?”

Gyrfalcon smiled. “Plenty of time for that later, now let’s get this overwith.”

“I think I’ll stay here, thanks.” She said as couples began swirling around them.

“Now, princess…” He started making fun of her defiant pose quickly winning a narrow eyed glare, which caused him to burst out into more than a light laughter. “Let’s go. It won’t be so bad. He wouldn’t harm a hair on your head.” Taking her hand he began leading the reluctant wizardess through the crowd to look for Tamaranis.

Edited by Salinye

Annael smiled, the butterflies in her hair fluttering their little wings in anticipation.

"I would love to dance. It's been...well....a lifetime since I've danced!" Annael took Doomy's hand and let him help her to her feet. They walked out to join the crowd of dancers. Curtysing to DoomGaze, and he bowing to her, they made a striking couple with their wings dipping with them as they danced, the lights reflecting off their beautiful feathers.

Celes was standing at the bar while Cambronne had fallen asleep on one seat. She gazes around and notices Yui, who is as lonely as she is. Celes sights thinking that it would had been good if Styler had come along. She could had dance with him like Salinye and Gyr. The porto bottle she ordered was already half-empty and the Troubadour feels its effect.

"Oh... I hadn't noticed... I'd be happy too, my gracious hostess," Merelas said, winking at Ayshela, and departing from her company.

He wandered off through the crowd, making some brief small talk to some people, and making a point to compliment Tzimfemme on her outfit.

Finally, he wandered over to the bar, and ordered a pair of glasses of champagne. This was a bit over-confident, perhaps... but hopefully Sam wouldn't be too offended with the gesture.

Taking the flutes, he searched the room briefly, but finding Samantha Carmichael more quickly than he had expected to. Merelas noticed the simple but elegant gown she wore, as well as her dark, straight hair, and introduced himself.

"Hello... I don't think we've ever met, but my name is Merelas en'Bella. I was hoping you'd join me for a drink?" He said, offering a glass as he did so, and waiting expectantly for Sam's answer.

Tamaranis sheathed his sword, which suddenly seemed a ridiculous affair, as discretely as possible While speaking briefly to Ayshela. To his surprise she didn’t seem particularly upset about his scuffle with the Ball’s guards, in fact, she seemed almost happy about it. Still, she probably wouldn’t be amused if they died. After exchanging greetings with the hostess he stepped outside and quickly made sure he hadn’t accidentally killed either of them.

From there Tamaranis tried to discern his best course of action. He hadn’t made the best entrance, and he wasn’t sure which would be the worst way to follow it up, by hanging around or immediately leaving. Before he got through thinking out his options, he noticed a pair of voices coming steadily closer.

“Hey, you know who I haven’t talked to in ages is Merelas!”

“Merelas is busy at the moment Sal, you can talk to him later.”

“Isn’t that Doom Gaze? He’s got really strange wings, lets go...”

“He’s busy too, Salinye.”

“Celes looks lonely, I should go...”

“Now, Salinye”

First Gyrfalcon, then Salinye, came free of the crowd and approached Tamaranis. In fact, it seemed that Gyrfalcon was almost dragging the wizardess. Upon sighting Tamaranis, however, she pulled her arm free of his grip and tried to act as if no such thing was going on.

“Umm... Hey Tamaranis...” She began, looking at the floor. “Daryl’s pretty good a forging letters and he thought it would be funny if...”

Gyrfalcon cleared his throat noisily.

“Okay! I’m sorry I wrote you that note I thought you already knew about the ball and it was just my way of letting you know I thought you should come I was only joking!” Salinye gushed, trying to get the ordeal over with as quickly as possible.

Tamaranis just glared at Salinye “This won’t be forgotten.”

Then darkness enveloped Salinye. Complete blackness. Even her elven infravision failed. For a moment she had the panicked notion that the rest of the universe had been “turned out” and that the reason she could see anything was that nothing existed to see. The sudden cold was only partly the reason for her shiver. She began casting a light spell, investing a considerable amount of energy into it in order to re-assure herself that wasn’t the case.

The blackness relented of its own accord at the same time Salinye finished casting the spell. Light exploded infront of her, burning her eyes which had rapidly adjusted to trying to see in the total darkness. Numerous party-goers looked to see what the commotion was, then looked away, shielding their eyes from the harsh glare. Salinye hastily dispelled the magic.

Tamaranis was gone. She realized the blackness she’d been enveloped in had been nothing more than the result of being near him when he used his particular method of magical transportation. What did he mean, “This won’t be forgotten”?

Her heart only minutes before seeming to float within her dropped to her stomach like a rock sinking in the sea. She blinked a few times in stunned silence as her eyes adjusted to the lights. “I really thought he’d know.” She muttered more to herself than Gyrfalcon before turning around and walking down the stairs.

Wading through the crowd she headed towards the tables away from the mass trying to regroup her thoughts. It had started to be such a lovely evening…

If anyone had been in the halls and paying attention, or perhaps if the doorman wasn't checking on his unconscious partner, they would have noticed the ever-increasing skittering of little wheels. It got louder, and louder still until they echoed through the very hall in front of the ball room. The doormen only had a split second to look up when some sort of upholstered brick on wheels smashed through the entrance doors. The whole room gasped collectively as the doors swung open and none other but The Pen's Mighty Couch crashed through and skidded to a halt on the middle of the dance floor. Ayshela quirked her lips curiously; she didn't remember inviting The Mighty Couch. It was a welcome presence, but she didn't think it had a conscience. Just as a few brave guests went over to examine it, the middle cushion shot up into the air, spewing multi-coloured fog behind it. Following the flying cushion was a spiralling human body that landed on his feet quickly and dusted himself off. He was wearing the same leggings and vest as when he tried to sneak in the window, but this time was also accompanied by a long red scarf, blue goggles and a brown leather driving cap. He slowly turned his gaze about the room, throwing out the occassional wave. As he did this he called out in a crescendo:

"Heeeeeere's Stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicky!"

After receiving the invite, sleeping, eating, then sleeping some more, and then looking for the place in which the ball was being held, failing misereably because of being unable to find someone to ask for directions, and then wandering aimlessly, Xaious arrives.

"'Bout friggin time I find this place. Hope I'm not tto late for the party."

Xaious stops talking to himself upon hearing someone named Sticky anounced.

"Good, I can get in easy with someone else being in the lime-light."

"Not if you keep talking that loudly."

"...eh?..."

Ayshela laughs. "It's me, Ayshela!"

Xaious facepalms, then looks down. "Right, hello.", then knocking the air from Ayshela's lungs with one almighty hug of hugs.

"So what took you so long?"

"Don't laugh too hard, but I lost track of time. So then, can you show me where they keep the sugar?"

"Sure, follow me."

They set off to the magical sugar storage, Xaious planting his spiked steel-toed boots in the shins of, well, anyone trying to take Ayshela from him.

No one knew how this stranger entered into the ballroom, but this stylishly dressed gentleman appeared in the corner of Ayshela when she was scowling the harnhanded guard that Tamaranis ‘bumped’ into. The stranger waited patiently until Xaious, the Master who took his time was done with the wonderful hostess, then he approach gracefully toward Lady Ayshela. Unfortunately Ayshela decided to turn just exactly at the same moment and the two of them collided.

“Oh I’m so sorry…” he said as he slowly backed away.

“Oh that’s alright,” she replied quickly. He was sure she felt a bit frustrated. He had this perfectly planned out… but now it’s totally sidetracked. The stranger took off his top hat and ran his fingers through his hair. He just realized he lost his cool, then he remember that he was suppose to tip his hat toward her and do other things that was suppose to be gentlemanly.

“It was a wonderful ball,” he said before she lost interest and turned away.

“Why thank you,” he could barely hear her reply, with all the chattering and the music in the background. It was very impolite to not hear someone clearly, and now he’ll have to guess and improvise. Yes, improvise was the very word! Quickly he reached into his pocket of his black velvet tuxedo and pulled out a velvet box.

“I have a humble present here that I hope would be quite suitable for this wonderful occasion,” the stranger’s voice suddenly became smooth as satin. “Not that your arrangement isn’t sufficient ofcourse… I just want to contribute my part…” Too late, the recovery was quite awful. He could not bare to observe Ayshela’s expression but looked down on the floor flushing.

The lady hostess none-the-less opened the box and suddenly the room went dark and silent for a moment. The crowd suddenly gasped as a single spark propelled itself slowly upward into ballroom ceiling and exploded into a thousand multi-coloured glittering lights and embedded themselves onto the ceiling like stars in the night.

“It’s called a star seed.” The stranger explained.

“It was very beautiful.” Ayshela said as her gaze returned from the now star-lilted room to the socially awkward stranger. He was sure she was smiling now, and her smile is such a wonderful thing. On the other hand Ayshela was just feeling something peculiar about this fellow she was talking to, but the gentlemen gave her no time to ponder and quickly offered to dance with her. Together they danced a round of waltz, while the unfamiliar gentlemen commented on how fine she looked today, how lovely this ballroom was decorated and how everything was in such fine order.

Asyhela excused herself afterward to greet other newcomers and the gentlemen disappeared into obscurity for a while. Putting him off her mind for the time being.

However the stranger was far from done as far as the fall ball goes. He was spotted again chattering and introducing Mr.bunny to sour-cream dip on carrot sticks; the gentlemen helped Rune reached the punch-bowl and pour himself a glass. He casually observed Gyrfalcon and Salinye dancing the fox-trot (prolly one of Gyrfalcon’s favourte dance steps) while conversing with Dr.Tzimfemme on the possible existence and extinction of the Oryctolagus Chocolatdo. He casually walked beside Tamaranis once and about 5 minute later Tamaranis found a novel read "Murder in the Fall Ball" in his left pocket...He was spotted sitting on the barstool having a drinking contest with Guido, popping shooters and tequilas and then after he downed the hammester bodyguard he played with the adorable Carnbronne, spiking the cute and fluffy cat's milk dish with vodka…

The figure continued to chatted friendly with everyone in this wonderful atmosphere, but those that recalled him latter could only remember was that they had a fine chat with a well dressed stranger with a top hat and a blue crystal capped cane, but no matter how hard they tried they could not recall his face nor remember his name.

Edited by Vigil StarGazer

Tamaranis definitely did not look himself. His regular attire, consisting of a dark cloak over light mail armour rounded out by the general lack of light that followed him around had been abandoned.

Instead he was now dressed in finery more typical of a wealthy and powerful person, such as an archmage, who prefers not to get his hands dirty and keep well away from anything resembling conflict. His usual colour scheme of black and more black had been utterly reversed. He was all white and silver and a little bit of gold now. In fact, magically malleable metal had been woven into his coat along with thread.

No where on his person was any sort of weapon. He was exerting considerable concentration towards preventing the formation of the darkness that usually followed him about, lest it dull his appearance. Rather than sucking up the light, he was almost shining. He was breathing continously instead of only when speaking, something he didn’t typically do, and had his blood flowing a bit, which served to add some colour to his normally deathly pale skin.

Not being sure what to do about his hair, he’d had it cut short enough that it was simply “there” and wouldn’t be able to assume any unwanted configurations.

It had been somewhat problematic, to obtain appropriate garments on such sort notice, but Tamaranis hadn’t dropped the usual menance until several just now, that seemed to have helped.

“Sorry about earlier.” He said as he walked between the mostly recovered but now much better behaved doormen. He wasn’t sure if they recognized him or not.

Tamaranis worked his way across the ballroom, moving with definite purpose, but without particular hurry. Occasionally he stopped for to deal with a variety of important matters. He nearly caused another awkward situation by nearly stepping on the intrepid Mr.Bunny, who responded with a “...” that might have been either a friendly greeting or a curse. He gave a nod to Yui Temae, who he was able to notice skulking in the shadows half there and half not. Dodging a few of the more energetic dancers also occupied a few moments, and he stopped to consider how a book titled “Murder at the Fall Ball” had made its way into his possession. The final distraction of note involved stopping to greet Lady Celes and pet the ever-present cat, though the cat didn’t seem to appreciate it.

Finally he reached his objective. “Told you I wouldn’t be forgetting about this, Salinye.”

Salinye spun around in surprise at hearing Tamaranis’ voice half expecting to find him once again glaring at her menacingly. The sight before her, however was enough to make her stutter and lose her train of thought-Something that didn’t happen often. “T…But I thought…” Running her eyes over him she could hardly believe what she was seeing.

Folding her arms across her chest she looked him in the eyes.

“I thought you were angry with me.”

“I don’t get angry, Salinye.” He stated rather impassively.

“That was cruel, Tam.”

“But fitting.”

“I only wanted you to come.”

“So, I’m here.”

“True. I really meant it when I said I was sorry. I had no idea you didn’t know about the Ball. I mean it was advertised all over The Pen, Tam.” She said still surprised by his cold attitude. Salinye was wise in many things, but vampires were not one of them. Until meeting Tamaranis, she had not believed they existed. She was quickly learning that this was as nice as he got and the acts earlier that she considered cruel were no more or less an example of his impassionate sense of humor.

“Salinye, I sometimes go many months without frequenting Pen Castle. Next time you want me to come to something, just ask.”

“Would you have come?”

“Not likely.”

Salinye raised a brow looking at him curiously. “Well, I’m glad you did.” She smiled warmly realizing that this was his way of letting her know nothing had changed between them. The surprise came in the realization that although she considered the vampire her friend, he did not feel so about her, or anyone for that matter.

Having her image of him shattered, she looked around and noticed she had lost her dance partner. Raising an eyebrow she asked with low expectations, “Well, I don’t suppose you dance?”

DoomGaze and Annael found themselves upon the dance floor, with confusion on their faces, they both never had danced in their lifetime. Just about when they started to dance, a blinding flash of light emitted from where Salinye stood. DoomGaze then instinctively shielded Annael with his wings. Having done this, he closed the gap between the two and found himself closer than he's ever been to someone, physically that is. He looked at her, and gave off a slight smile, then withdrew himself after the light had faded.

"Sorry, Annael." he apologized. "My instincts got the better of me, I should have..."

Annael quickly interupted his sentence, "It's okay Doomy, there's no need to apologize for what you did." She smiled at him, and he had lost his worried face, happy knowing he had done a good thing.

"Shall we continue what we set out to do?" he asked.

"Of course" she responded.

But as soon as they started to dance, the music faded out to another song, this one having to be at a slower pace, in other words, a slow dance. Both had just started to dance, but a slow dance right away. DoomGaze gulped and Annael curled her hair with her finger, both portraying shyness.

"Y...you don't have to Doomy" she said hesistantly. "I understand if you choose not to."

He looked at her confused, "Other than my shyness, Annael, there is nothing more to stop me from dancing with you, unless," he gulped, "You don't want to."

"My intention would be the exact opposite of that, Doomy,I would be glad to dance with you." she reassured him.

With that said, and a couple of smile exchanges, the two looked at each other. Then, as if both were sharing one thought, they said " Now how do we do this?!!?"

They looked at the other couples who had already started to dance. They seemed like professionals to them. After seconds of examining the other guests, they decided if it was now or never. DoomGaze took a deep breath as he placed both his hands gently on her waist. She was stunned at the way DoomGaze was able to examine them so quickly and mimic them. She took a stare at the dancing couple closest to them, and then put her arms around his neck, and rested her head upon his shoulder.

"Now that wasn't so hard was it?" DoomGaze said jokingly, acting like he was now the expert at dancing.

She quickly responded, "No, it wasn't hard at all..."

[Guido]

Well, I'd gotten careless, rearing up and pulling my gat when all dat flash went off. Stupid I knows, but it was too much like dem starflares from dat mech-world we was on.

Of course, instead of lookin' at da flash like anyone else, da Boss just had to look at all da *udder* peoples lookin' at da flash. And so he spots me.

So I gets da hairy eyeball look and motioned down to da floor from my balcony post and Nunce still ain't *nowhere* to be seen. I may be dumb at time, but I ain't stupid - I knew if I was to shadow da Boss proper, he'd be all sorts of cranky wit me. 'Sides, Elladan was here.

I tried to match dat blue-gem guy wit a Tequila contest, just as a cover, but once he mentioned he thought I was a giant HAMSTER of all t'ings, I lets him win just to get it over. A *hamster*. All our Sicilean Guinea Pig ancestors must be rollin' in der graves.

Where was Nuncio?

[/Guido]

[Elrohir]

I was running later than I'd expected, and it was with polite haste I made my way through the Pen toward our rooms. I bumped into several people, to include Nyyark, and either made very brief talk or tried to help them quickly. Better late than offensive.

When I reached the bottom of the climb to the chambers, I paused to catch my breath, then twitched as one of Dad's latent portals opened and closed.

Reaching over my shoulder, I whispered the Key and pulled Glamdring from his sheath. I was really surprised when the the spirit that I'd known as Gandalf had given it to me as we left, and I tried to keep it well hidden.

Moving lightly on the outside of the risers to avoid creaking stairs, I ascended.

[Elrohir]

[Elladan]

Now that I was here, I had the old familiar crowd sense of being in a combat zone. The skin between my shoulder blades itched as the power of all the potential killers in the room beat on me, and my hands felt too empty. Dad finally noticed Guido skulking up doing his Bodyguard job as pathetically as usual, and motioned him down to the floor, where the oaf simply gave up on his duties. Good with weapons and strong as an couple of oxen, but a very direct thinker and easily frustrated.

Guarding Dad from across the room gave me something to do, and I actually started enjoying the whole thing, letting parts of my mind run constant simulations of how to take down various people if they became a threat.[Elladan]

[Peredhil]

The Ball was a success. People were continuing to enter, they were enjoying themselves as much as such a mixture of personalities could, and the music was excellent.

After a brief conversation on Japanese Haiku and the different syllable forms with Mr. Bunny, I concede the conversation to his unanswerable "..." repost. A Bard and Master Carrot Mage, he's a bit specialized, so at his request, I cast a minor enchantment to allow him to understand the speech of others, but was unable to fit the translation the other direction, from him to them, into such a small cantrip. When we tried it out, he laughed, and with a wry "..." hopped off toward the food.

Nearly literally running into Regel, I realized that since my fellow Terran Angel of Apocolypse had never been properly introduced to the Pen. My assumption of welcome sometimes does blind me to the niceties of etiquette at times.

taking his elbow, and I whispered my intent and gained his concurrence, then led him to each of the guests currently attending. Many introductions occurred, along the lines of, "Regel, this is Mr. Bunny, a Bard of Terra and Master of Carrot Magics. He was a staunch warrior in the Angels of Apocolypse, a terrible foe but a great friend. He and I saved each others lives a few times, and I hope you'll extend him a warm welcome as he builds his literary skills - the fierce life he's lived kept him from some of the finer points of the scholarly pursuits."

Heh, just for fun, I even "introduced" him to Orlan, Annael and the Quincunx - fellow Angels. :)

I'm sure that the list of names blurred for Regel, Guido the Bartender, Guido the Bodyguard, Doomgaze...

After a bit of thought, I skipped Elladan, whom he knew, and didn't draw Yui from her shadows. Never know what the Angels of Apocolypse versus Armies of Darkness conflict remains.

The oddly Polite Stranger was gone before we could work around to him, he always seemed one curious step ahead.

For our final stop, I presented Regel as Regally as I could to Ayshela, who giggled a bit at my whimsy, but played along magnificently at being reintroduced to someone who'd introduced themself on arrival. He bowed, she curtsied, and Regel showed that while maintaining his warrior and leadership skills, he'd not neglected his ability to lead while dancing. By the third measure, Ayshela had picked up the intricate movements of the Mirror Dance, and they were smoothly gliding and dipping, hands and bodies mirrorring each other's movements with a breath of air between.

Out of breath and smiling at the end of the dance, they headed over to the punch bowl as the Band announced they were taking a break for a while.

[Peredhil]

Regel's dance with WrenWind was wonderful. He barely spoke to her but his eyes rarely left hers. Something about her that seems so familiar. He closed his eyes for just a few moments and smelt her perfume. His heart quickened. She was so light on her feet that with his eyes closed she felt like a warm july breeze swirling around an apple orchard. The music ended too soon and it had not be lost to Regel that in his friend Wyvern was the cause of his good fortune. The look of dejection as Wyvern walked away was still on his mind. He looked at WrenWind and asked" Could I ask a favour of you my lady?" WrenWinds eyes brightened and smiling she answered "Certainly."

"I believe that Wyvern was just about to ask you for a dance when he accidently knocked you into me. If someone doesn't rescue him soon he will be into those beakers of concoctions he's brewed all night." She agreed and as Regel escorted her towards Wyvern he whispered " Perhaps you could save me the last dance."

"Wyvern, my old friend." Regel started "Could I ask a favour of you?" Wyvern looked up from his beaker and smiled "Certainly Regel ol' pal."

"The lady WrenWind is in need of a capable dance partner. I had asked Peredhil to introduce me around and I hated to leave this lovely young lady unescorted. Would you be so kind?"

Wyvern was so excited at the prospect he nearly leaped to his feet. "I will take good care of her Regel."

At that moment Peredhil had come up and grabbed my elbow. "Regel, forgive me for not doing this earlier. Let me introduce you to the nice people here at the pen."

With that the two friends made their rounds.

Edited by Regel