The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Fall Ball

Ayshela

OoC thread here

~~~

Ayshela sat at her desk writing tiredly, the growing pile of papers to her left giving evidence that she’d been working there for quite some time. Crossing the last name off her list, she lay her pen down with a deep sigh and gently shook her cramped hand. What a job! And only just begun, at that.

Rising from her seat, she stretched as tall as she could to ease her aching back. If only she could ease her mind as readily! With a worried frown, she crossed to her window and looked out toward the courtyard. People coming and going, some she knew and some she knew of, but what were the odds she hadn’t missed someone? With a wrinkled-nosed-frown she admitted that it was quite likely. Turning back toward the desk she resigned herself to getting several ready in case of need. Having a Fall Ball had seemed like such a GOOD idea! But what a job.. the invitations alone had kept her busy for days and they weren’t even delivered yet.

~~~

Delivery. Now there was a minor problem. How to get the invitations into everyone’s hands in time to still get everything else done? Looking at the basket piled high with envelopes, each carefully sealed with her twisted ivy seal, she shuddered at the thought of going room to room through the entire Keep looking for people.

Oh! With a smile bright enough to light up the whole room, she grabbed the basket and fairly flew out her door, knowing just where to find almost everyone over the course of the night.

The Cabaret Room – of course!

Standing outside the Cabaret Room, Ayshela looked at the doors in dismay. The outwardly-opening doors which had so caught her attention when she first arrived now worked against her as there was no way…

“May I help you?” asked the soft voice interrupting her contemplation of the still-unmoving door.

Looking over her shoulder, she gave a glad cry. “Alaeha! Yes, please! I really need to get into the Cabaret Room with these invitations, but can’t manage both the basket and the door – and while I’m thinking about it, your invitation is right there on top.”

As Alaeha opened the door she offered to help hand out the invitations, an offer quickly and happily accepted. “Thank you so much! I couldn’t think where else to find as many people at once, and I do need to get these given out soon. They’re in alphabetical order, though I don’t for a moment think that they’ll stay that way once we start riffling through them to find the right ones.”

Making their way to a table toward the middle of the room, Ayshela set the basket on the table, handed Alaeha her invitation, and then began handing out invitations to those who were in the room. Puzzled looks turned to excited murmurings as those who had already gotten their invitations opened them to read:

Lady Ayshela Whisperwind

Cordially requests your presence for

The Fall Ball

Beginning at dusk on the seventeenth

In the Ballroom, The Pen Keep

Ayshela and Alaeha quickly had invitations in the hands of everyone present, including those drawn in by the excited chatter. With grateful thanks, Ayshela left Alaeha to discuss the Ball with her friends, and took her greatly lightened basket in search of those whose invitations remained undelivered.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hours later, Ayshela returned to her room with only two spare invitations remaining in her basket. Laying the invitations on her desk, she put the basket away in her closet and retrieved her cloak. She quickly strapped on her blades and money pouch, then stopped in brief calculation. There would be time to make the necessary arrangements and get back and still have time for all the preparations here, but taking time to travel there would leave her pressed.

Nodding quickly to herself she turned back to her desk and opened the bottom drawer, taking a smallish vial from safe hiding in the very back. She tucked a paper into the frame of the mirror, made sure she had all she would need, and strode to the center of the room. Kissing the vial quickly, with a fond thought for the shaman who had given that and several other potions to her, she broke the vial open. As the gate potion took effect she disappeared in a silvery swirl, leaving behind her only a typically female note – Gone Shopping, Back Soon.

~~~

“Are you sure you won’t have any problem getting there?” she asked Minay again.

He drew himself up in offended dignity. “Lass, I’ve been gettin’ into and out of places on three continents that folks’ll tell you can’t be got to, just to bring a friend a sandwich sometimes. I can find your Keep, and my crew and I will be there as I’ve said we will.”

With an apologetic gesture, Ayshela said “I’m sorry, it’s been a very long day and I’m not in the mood to trust that things won’t go horribly wrong. I’ve never been hostess there before and I’m more than a little nervous.”

Minay patted her shoulder reassuringly, then pocketed the money she’d given him. “It’ll be fine,” he promised. “You’ve hired yourself the best caterer the Goddess blessed, though I do say so myself.”

Looking up into his impish smile, Ayshela laughed softly. “That may be so,” she said, “but do my nerves the favor of getting there a bit early, will you?”

Bowing with a broad flourish, Minay said only “As you wish, my lady.”

With a smile and nod, Ayshela left with one vital errand remaining. As she ran across town she thought “With my luck this will take the rest of the day and I’ll end up stuck in this goddess-forsaken town for the night.”

Finding herself standing in front of a gleaming glass door mumbling to herself, she blushed hotly and looked to make sure no one had noticed. As her eyes fell on the shop sign she shuddered. “Well, what can’t be cured must be endured, and I suppose it will be worth it.” Sighing deeply, she pushed the door open and entered the dreaded dress shop.

~~~

Early the next morning, Ayshela returned to her room at the Keep. The designing and fabric selection hadn’t been as bad as she’d been afraid, but the fitting session had been even longer and more draining than she’d been prepared for – and those wicked pins! A good thing indeed she’d be so busy for the next few days, she wouldn’t sit easy for a week. Negligible compared to battle wounds, but far more humiliating.

Setting her pack gently on the floor, she began to unpack her cleaning supplies. The Ballroom was lovely, but it would take a lot of cleaning to get the long-unused room ready. Sitting on the edge of her bed, she began mentally listing the things to scrub and polish, materials to get, people to contact – and didn’t even realize she’d slumped over and fallen soundly asleep.

The next morning found Ayshela opening the Ballroom doors and deciding what to do first. Looking around and sneezing, she decided that dusting was definitely the first order of business. The tables cleaned up quickly, but she spent the rest of the day dusting the paneled walls and carved beams.

The ceiling would have to be next, and that would take some careful cleaning. But how in the world to reach it? Arched ceilings weren’t generally within easy arm’s reach, and scaffolding was out of the question. As she drifted off to sleep that night, she murmured “Of course! Why didn’t I think of that before?”

As the sun began filtering through the stained glass windows the next morning, Ayshela strapped herself into her stilts and began to carefully clean the painted ceiling. The work had obviously been done by an artistic genius, it would be a shame to damage it. Her concentration was so great that when a knock came at the door she nearly fell off her stilts.

She turned toward the door and called “come in!” Alaeha popped her head in and said “There are a couple girls here looking for you, shall I send them in?”

“Girls? Umm.. sure! That should be fine.”

A moment later she heard giggling voices in the hall and began to smile. This should be FUN!

“Kaylee! Rose! What are you doing here?” she asked, as they came bursting through the door.

“Oh, you know Minay, he didn’t want us underfoot while he was traveling, so he found a guide and sent us on ahead. Besides, we thought you could probably use some help,” Kay said.

“Wonderful! And you’re quite right, I don’t know how I’ll ever get all this done in time otherwise. The paneling all needs polishing, would you girls mind working on that while I finish this?” Ayshela asked.

The girls looked at the room in amazement. “All of it??” Rose asked, shocked. “All of it,” Ayshela replied. I’ll help you when I’m done here, but I thought it best to work from the top down.”

~~~

Two days later almost all the room preparation was done, and Ayshela, Kaylee and Rose sat in Ayshela’s room considering the best way to handle the Ball itself.

“Minay should be here today, shouldn’t he?” asked Rose.

“He should. I’m hoping he’ll get here fairly early, but I won’t honestly be surprised if it’s evening by the time he rolls in. I haven’t heard from him since he confirmed the arrangements, so I’ll have to assume that everything is still going according to plan.”

“Do you know yet what you’re wearing?” Kay asked, eying Ayshela’s normal deep green slacks and flowing shirt dubiously.

Ayshela laughed almost hysterically. “Actually, I do. Minay is bringing my dress as well, he promised to pick it up from Lady Helaina before he left. How about you girls?”

“Oh, we’re all set. But we’d better get downstairs and finish up, hadn’t we?” Kay pulled Rose up from where they’d been sitting on the floor by the window, and turned to Ayshela.

“Would you mind going on without me for a few minutes? A couple letters have come in that I need to deal with fairly quickly, and I’m afraid if I don’t get to them today I’ll forget.”

“Sure! This should be fun!” Kay laughed, as they turned toward the door.

Fun? Polishing a marble floor would be fun? Ayshela looked after them curiously, but soon forgot them as she turned to her desk and picked up a small stack of letters from home.

~~~

It was nearly lunchtime when Ayshela approached the Ballroom doors. She hurried down the hall, hoping the girls wouldn’t be annoyed with how long it had taken to finish her letters, but stopped outside the doors at hearing peals of laughter from inside. She opened the door cautiously and peeked inside, just in time to see Rose flying across the floor in front of her. The girls laughed merrily at the startled look on her face.

“Come on in, it’s fun!” Kay called.

Ayshela cast a puzzled look at the girls, then at the floor which was beginning to approach the gleaming finish they were aiming at. Noticing her look, Rose lifted one foot to show a soft cloth tied around it.

“Come on,” she said, laughing. “Can you imagine any better way to polish this much floor?”

Watching the girls skate off across the floor again, Ayshela looked at the broad expanse of marble and shuddered at the thought of polishing it all by hand. Much better by foot, she thought with a giggle, and grabbed some cloths so she could join the fun.

Minay arrived mid afternoon, much to Ayshela’s relief. She flew out the door and flung herself at him, hugging him gleefully.

“Now, lass, I told you I’d be here! Here, you’d best go hang this up while we unload,” he said, handing her a carefully wrapped box which could only contain her dress.

“First, let me show you where you’re going,” Ayshela said. “You’re going to love this!”

Leading the way down the hall, Ayshela waited until Minay and his crew were all behind her then she opened the Ballroom doors wide and took them all inside. The room was rectangular, but the raised stage at the far end and tables dotted around the near end and curving up the sides made it seem more squared. The floor was a creamy grey marble, flecked and streaked with black. The wood paneled walls and hardwood tables had all been well polished and nearly glowed in the late afternoon sunlight. Shadows fell across the floor from the beautiful stained glass windows, expertly crafted with realistic twining vines patterning them, each one slightly different.

As they walked into the center of the room, Minay looked at the ceiling and gasped in amazement. Lit by small lights flush with the ceiling were clearly visible, expertly painted scenes from the history of The Pen Keep.

“Where will you be having us set up, then?” Minay asked, once he’d quit staring in amazement.

“Over here,” Ayshela said, leading the way across the room. “We’ve set up a bar and buffet tables here between the tables and the stage. Lighting is variable, here, so you can have as much or as little as you like. Some of the residents prefer dim lighting, so once the Ball begins this room will be quite a study in light and shadows. Oh, and the door between you and the stage here opens out to the courtyard.”

“Nice. Very nice.” Minay said, still noticing details of the impressive room.

Laying a hand on Minay’s arm, Ayshela softly added “Thank you very much for agreeing to this. I’d have asked our resident experts, but I really want everyone to be able to attend and enjoy themselves. I can’t think of anyone else I’d trust with this, so I’m very glad you were available.”

Minay looked at her curiously, asking “And why wouldn’t I be? I’ve a good crew, they can handle anything else on the schedule. For a friend, and the daughter of a good friend, I handle it myself. It’ll be right, now go on and hang up your dress.”

With a smile and nod, Ayshela left them to their preparations and took her dress up to her room.

~~~

Ayshela, Minay, and all his crew were madly busy the next day getting everything finally set up. The lighting had to be just right, mingled areas of brightness and shadow, so that everyone would be comfortable. Lots and lots of food, beverages of all types, the musicians arrived in the afternoon and had to be shown where to set up, decorations had to be put out, the carpet runner rolled out and secured.. Minay looked at the carpet, dark brown delicately patterned with leaves in gold and bronze, and asked “Shouldn’t that be a red carpet?” “Not for a Fall Ball,” Ayshela said with a laugh.

Kaylee soon had the buffet table in good order, as she kept the young men working with her running in and out making sure there was enough of everything set out and everything properly arranged. Rose and Minay stocked the bar and set up the punch bowls, then started checking off everything they’d need to make sure all was ready.

Ayshela was going over her checklist for probably the fiftieth time when Minay came up and shooed her out the door to go get ready. Kay and Rose grabbed her by the arms and practically dragged her to her room, reminding her that the ball couldn’t start until she got there, so the sooner she got herself ready the sooner they could get on with it.

~~~

Ayshela appeared at the top of the stairs a few moments before the Ball was set to begin. Her elven slenderness was accentuated by her gown, soft and faintly clinging, in eye-teasing swirls of deep green, black, and gold. Her long reddish brown hair had been brushed until it shone, clipped back behind her ears and left hanging loose to flow behind her like a cloak. The soft ticking of the heels on her shoes as she came down the stairs alerted those waiting in the hall, though as she wove her way through the crowd she was lost to view among all those taller than her.

Reaching the doors at last, she turned to face the crowd – her friends, and those she hoped to become friends with.

“Welcome, everyone, to the Fall Ball. May your evening be as warm and enjoyable as your friendships.”

With a beaming smile she threw open the doors to the Ballroom and welcomed everyone in.

[Peredhil]Peredhil pauses in the alcove before the doorway and checks himself in the mirror set there. Eyes the color of wet-ashes grey look back at him. Dolce & Gabbana sweater and slacks, Metzlan alligator shoes, all in shades to complement his Ring for those who could see it. His still black hair is neatly and freshly cut, thanks to Elladan, who has a way with blades. He misses his usual Armani or Calvin Kleins, but he wants to help set a casual tone to encourage mingling tonight. For the same purpose, he's ordered Guido and Nuncio not to accompany him for his entrance.

The success of Ayshela's ball is important to him.

With a nod to himself for luck, he opens the door and enters the room, as he has entered so many others over the centuries.

The floor gleams so brightly as to recollect the stone before the throne of Manwe, and he's forgotten the frescos inset into the ceiling. He pauses in the doorway, a slender half-elf dressed in whites and greys, angled face looking upward. The bright light glint off his hair and shoes, and from habit he dons a pair of Gargoyle sunglasses to combat it.

Moving with slow grace across the floor, he greets Ayshela, taking her hands and holding her at arms length to inspect her dress, before kneeling to kiss her hands. His assurances that she looks lovely, and tonight will be a success earn him a hug, at which a smile curves his lips. His is a mouth made for smiles, although they rarely reach the depths of his eyes.

Politely he moves off to talk to the caterers and greet the band, freeing Ayshela to greet the next guest, but close enough for reassurance. As he mingles, he heals minor aches and pains from habit, subtly weaving a semblance of a spell to energize the night, and prevent sore feet. He really doesn't practice magic much any more. When he enters a new Plane, he carries the resonance and frequencies of the rest within him latent, and allows the new universe to sing its song to him. Once properly introduced, he's found that his small requests, which once required Mana and Will, often come to past on their own naturally. His acceptance of others extends to the inanimate, which rarely fails to respond. His are the powers of understanding, knowledge, and healing.

It has been a long journey, he reflects quietly, from his birth in Gondolin on Middle Earth, through the Undying West, passing beyond the barriers of space and time to become a Planeswalker. A long journey, through thirty-two Planes, and myriad dimensions and worlds within them.

Reaching out, seeing, in his inexplicable even to him, manner the patterns of life, unlife, and death in motion throughout the Pen, he realizes the Pen is the closest to a home he's found since he left Rivendale.

Taking a sparkling water to sip, he waits on his bodyguards and boys to arrive.[/Peredhil]

[Guido]"Iz lookin' sexy in dees new snazzy threads" is his first thought as he passes into the kitchen. The knowledge he's one sharp-dressed Giant Guinea Pig in his tuxedo and fedora puts an extra spring in the Bodyguard's step. "Should be a great gig, whot wit all da peoples. Da Boss will like dis, and wit all da peoples being Penners, dere isn't nutting to worry 'bout."

At the thought, his large eyes darken momentarily and he runs through a mental check. Faerie Dragon Ring for anti-magic, his gat in his hide-away holster, the various knifes, garrotes, and other weapons of his profession.

He and his brother Nuncio had been careless once, and lost the fairy they was guarding, Don T'mezzame, a Godfather in the mob, and been on the run since. If da Boss hadn't believed in them and taken them with him when he left the world of Fractured Fairy Tales, they'd've been fish-bait for sure.

With the thought, he finishes checking the kitchen with unwanted care, and moves to see the main room. A mouth of teeth flashes pearly white as he sees da kids skating the floor clean and he moves to one of the subtly hidden observation spots to keep an eye on things until the Ball begins.

He'd die before he lost another contract, and do more than die for dis Boss. He was kinda special. Nun' said da Boss saw hearts, whatever that meant. He just knew da Boos loved where others didn't, and that was a more powerful magic than he could ever understand.

That's why he was here early, and what da Boss didn't know wouldn't stand a chance of hurting him.[/Guido]

Regel had a nervousness about him, an accessory he normally wore before a battle not a party. The terran mage was never with out arms but tonight he would be armed only with his humour. Standing in front of a mirror he looked at himself. Formal attire was never his first choice but when the occasion arose to wear it he filled it rather well.

So many new people to meet his anxiety grew. “You’re too old for this behaviour old man.” He said aloud to himself. He smiled and then relaxed, he had spoken those words exactly the way (his Red Dragon) Char would have spoken them to him before a battle. He missed the wisdom and the humour. The only person left alive that could make him laugh as loud was almost a dragon himself “Wyvern.” He said out loud and his smile broadened. His posts and formal declarations of war had become legendary among the Angels of the Apocalypse. He knew it would be good to see him again as well as the other mages he knew form those days that had left terra and come before him. Many he had called friend and still others that had left a mark or two on his person.

The Lady Ayshela’s invitation in his breast pocket, he was ready. Before he knew it he was standing in front of the ballroom entrance. He will avoid conversations that would bring forward strong reactions and let the evening unfold. The gifts for the hostess under his arm Regel rang the door and waited. The surroundings were a little overwhelming, such opulence had been unknown to Regel. The Lady Ayshela herself met him at the doorway. “You look amazing” Regel beamed. “The flowers and the wine are for you as well as this small token of my appreciation.” He stood there gauging Lady Ayshela’s reaction. She smiled as she opened the present. “Thank you for the lovely white candles Regel, what an unusual gift. I was surprised that it was chocolate.” She replied. “Use them wisely M’lady, for unusual they are indeed. They are Candles of Sleeping. Items of rarity from the lands in have come from.” Regel smiled as the gifts were well received .” Please excuse me for a moment M’lady.”

Across the room closing quickly he saw a familiar figure. “Elrond Peredhil!” the two friends crashed into each other with arms wide. “Peredhil you are looking sharp as always old friend! How have you been? Still practicing the green arts I see.” the sharp pain in Regel’s shoulder and knees had passed and he knew who he had to thank. The two friends stood off to the side reminiscing and allowed Lady Ayshela the opportunity to greet more of her arriving guests.

Wyvern pushes a large cart in front of him as he makes his way to the Pen's Ballroom, making sure that the numerous vials of unidentifiable substances and beakers of bubbling fluids resting on it are steadily kept in position. Brushing a claw over his scaley head and making sure the decorative ribbons attached to his horns are in place, the overgrown lizard adjusts the white lab coat he's wearing and brushes off a few remnants of frog intestines from previous dissections. Coming to a halt at the entrance of the Ballroom and grinning to himself excitedly, Wyvern pulls out Ayshela's invitation and reads it over once again:

"llaB llaF."

The reptilian Elder still wasn't quite sure what it refered to, but figured it had to do with laboratory work and laughter. He had looted just about every unique-looking potion that he could find from the quarters of the Pen, and felt that for once he was thoroughly prepared for the occasion.

Quickly glancing into the reflection on a beaker and making sure his appearence looks formally scientific, Wyvern stretches his wings as best as he can inside of the cramped space of the lab coat before pushing his cart in through the entrance and walking into the Ball.

Briefly waving towards Peredhil and Regel and passing by numerous other people who have arrived, the overgrown lizard immediatly wanders up to the beautifully-dressed figure of Ayshela and happily extends a claw in greeting.

"Dr. Ayshela, I presume?"

Ayshela raises a brow in a mixture of curiousity and distaste as she glances over Wyvern's manner of dress and cart full of scientific beakers. Contemplating whether or not the lizard was unsuccessfully trying to start a new fashion trend, the hostess kindly responds:

"Just Ayshela is fine, Wyvern, how do you do? Ummm... what's with the dress-up, by the way? I specified that this wasn't a costume party. Are these vials of fluids refreshments?"

Wyvern's eyes widen at the word "party," his jaw going slightly agape. Fumbling for Ayshela's invitation in his pocket, the lizard pulls it out and exclaims:

"B-but... it says here 'llaF llaB'!"

Ayshela sighs and rolls her eyes as she notices that the clumsy lizard is holding and reading the invitation card upside-down. Pointing out the wording on the bottom of the card that reads "this side up," she says:

"This should provide an answer to your questions, Wyv"

Wyvern glances at the card curiously as he turns it around so that it's rightside-up, suddenly noticing that it reads "Fall Ball." Slapping his head in dismay and mumbling a string of curses that would leave Lenny Bruce proud, the overgrown lizard bows to Ayshela apologetically and mutters:

"I'm sorry, I'll have to be more careful reading next time. Forgive me!"

With that, the reptilian Elder starts to sob while the hostess pats him on the back and notifies him that it's O.K. Sniffing and nodding, the overgrown lizard proceeds to push his cart towards the punch bowl in the hopes of experimenting and finding a formula to create permanent fizziness.

Usually when a person enters a room with many loud noises others assume that they are trying to make their entrance noticed. Those who knew him did not assume this with Gwaihir.

As he entered the room a score of lights made tinkling smashign noises--as he crashed into them. *rip* one of the llight cords fell down as an elf got stuck in it.

*crash* a fine china bowl that had been decorating the mantle fell down

*gulp, click click click* Ayshela hurried to rescue Gwaihir, before he made any more attempts to extricate himself.

"I'm so sorry" his face looked so worried that the stressed hostess had no choice but to forgive the space cadet.

As he bumbled in, Gwaihir was quite the sight in such a formal room. It was clear that he had attempted to be dressed up--He was wearing a suit jacket and what had probably been slacks, but there the resemblance to propriety ended. The suit jacket was covered in so many paints stains of all colours that it was clear someone had used it as a painting frock for a while and the slacks were snipped so that one leg was cut off at the knee. One lady gave Gwaihir quite a horrified look. He grinned sheepishly--I was going to cut these off for shorts, but then I remembered that I didn't have any other nice pants to wear to this. She didn't look very molllified, but it's not as if he noticed.

Gwaihir just wandered on, noting "This is great!"

Merelas hastened to finish his appearance for the ball, smiling as he anticipated both the ball itself, and his "fashionable" entrance. Hopefully, the Lady Ayshela would not be too offended at the extravagent measures he had taken... but then again, it was worth it, even if she was.

Finally satisfied with the half-elf staring at him from the mirror, Merelas prepared to leave. Quickly, he placed his hand into the air above his head, thumb and forefinger together, as though grasping something. In one swift motion, he pulled down to the ground, and a swirl of flame drew a line from his gesture, eventually expanding to be an oval shaped portal, with flames around the edges.

"Best wait a minute for effect, I suppose," Merelas said aloud, to himself, knowing that the portal would also have appeared in the ballroom... he had carefully designated the destination, however, so that the portal would appear in midair, and away from any of the walls, the ceiling, or the decorations-- he didn't want anything to be damaged by his appearance... that could be disastrous.

"There we are," he said aloud again, to no one in particular, and he stepped through the portal. Appearing in mid-air, just as he had planned, he fell a short space, and landed on his feet.

The Half-elf's appearance matched that of his entrance, and it could be seen that he was excessively proud of his fire-elven heritage, through the warm colors he displayed. His robe was fiery-red, adorned with rubies at the seams, and sewn with golden thread. He wore an orange sash about his waist, which was evidently of fine silk, and was tied jauntily off-center. His cloak, of darker red velvet than his robe matched the other two pieces in splendor, being embroidered with a thread the exact hue of his robes. The embroidery created the illusion of flames dancing around the edges of this cloak, shifting mesmorizingly when he moved. And finally, perhaps the finest of pieces, he wore an enormous flame-crystal about his neck, easily the size of a small fist, and cut into the shape of an octogon. Indeed, Merelas' attire, if traded for food, could have fed a small country for several years.

The other party-goers stared in shock for a moment at the man's arrival, and then the conversation returned to normal. Eventually, Merelas spotted Ayshela, and he walked slowly to her, bowing low with a flourish.

"I hope my arrival has not created too much commotion, my Lady?" he asked, somewhat doubtfully... perhaps this wasn't a good idea.

Edited by Merelas

DoomGaze walks toward the entrance of the Fall Ball he was recently invited to, and brushes his left shoulder gently. He pauses at the mirror installed near the door to do some last inspections. He stares at himself with deep, oceanic blue eyes, and passes his hand through his thick dark, brown hair. He looks at his attire, unsure if this was good enough to wear at the ball, no shirt, but a slight six-pack to make up for it, (Due to reasons that don't have to be explained) and nice baggy black pants. On both of his wrists he has two silver bracelets, imbued with runic inscriptions that only he knew what they meant. His name comes from the expression on his face he always had.

"So many strangers will be here" he whispers to himself.

He slowly steps into the room barefoot and admires the beautiful frescos on the ceiling. As he stares down, he notices that he was being eyed on by invitees already there. His dark crimson wings gleamed with much radiance, (They must have been why the people were staring at him) as he walked in the elegantly lit room. His head was facing the floor as he approaches the first of the guests. He looks up briefly, revealing only half a smile and his tatooed tear underneath his right eye. He stops in front of Ayshela, finally lifting his head. The sad expression that his tattoo gave to him almost disappeared when he smiles at her. He decides to bow in front of her, because he didn't know what to do next.

"Greetings," he spoke with a firm tone "I believe that this is the Fall Ball, is it not?"

He waited for Ayshela's response, but she was still stunned by his wings.

He nods and chuckles "I'll take that as a yes then." With his nervousness gone, he walks cheerfully to the other figures in the room, hoping to learn more about them. He greets each and everyone of them with the same opening line, (Part of this due to his lack of social skills) "Hello, the name is DoomGaze, and you might be?" Each person responded and he was delighted.

"This might not be that bad now after all" he thought to himself. An unusual delight arose in his eyes, and it made him, finally, after all the years of having a sad face, look happy.

Edited by DoomGaze

Snake arrives at the entrance in his customary black outfit and stops as the bouncer looks him up and down. Patting his pockets, he found that they were empty save for a newspaper clipping he had found was interesting and kept there for ages.

"Ahem, excuse me, I seem to have forgotten or lost my invitation card."

Cold, blank stares answered him. Snake decides to try again. Waving his hands, he pantomimed invitation card, then dropping it. The bouncers were unimpressed.

"Oh-kae, this is going to be hard."

Snake looked straight into a bouncer's eyes. You will let me enter without question. Your mistress will be pleased

Again, blank stares.

"Hahaha, you should give up there Mr Snake, these bouncers are not susceptible to mind charms. Although I must say, your natural charms are already doing you justice."

Snake turned around to see a magnificently dressed female Elf smiling at him.

"Why, milady Tiel, so nice to see you here today," he said in forced calmness. He had been smitten by the Elf for a long time and never seem to be able to muster any charm he might have had whenever he was around her.

Tiel nodded condescendingly and slipped her arm through his, waving her invitation in the air.

"Cheer up, boys, he's with me."

The bouncers bowed and allowed her entourage to pass with a bewildered Snake glancing around in confusion.

Tiel propelled the stunned Snake over to where the hostess, Ayshela waited.

"Ah, welcome to my humble party, please do enjoy yourselfs," she said in a lyrical voice.

Snake bowed awkwardly, still feeling off-balance by having the object of his besottment holding him so intimately. The pair then wandered off to engage others in small talk, or rather Tiel did while Snake smiled a lot and looked happy.

DoomGaze caught sight of the pair and waved slightly while Snake looked openly delighted to see someone he else he knew besides Tiel at the party.

Edited by DL_Snake

Sam paced in front of the ball room's large double doors, trying to decide whether or not to enter. Her uncertain expression clashed with her simple, yet elegant, gown and short dark hair which had, after much force and persuassion, been convinced to lie straight instead of curling off in random directions. But frankly that was the least of her worries.

Standing just a few feet from the closed doors, she pursed her lips and closed her eyes as she tried once more to reach into the room, to sense who was inside. But something in the doors seemed to be enchanted to deflect anything remotely telepathic. Or maybe it was just that she wasn't strong enough. Not that it mattered. Her list of good friends at the Pen was incredibly short, and most-no all-of them had been absent lately. So it would have been highly strange for any of them to be present. But she still wished that she could have had an idea of who was at the Fall Ball before going in. in desperation she tried one more time reach telepathicaly past the doors, but to no avail. "Oh forget it...I'll never get through..." she whispered as moved to open the door. Her hand lingered on the handle for a moment, but she soon pushed the door open with renewed resolve.

She hadn't been prepared for the granduer of the ballroom. She also hadn't been prepared for the noise. Not the audible noise, but the hundreds of thousands of different thoughts suddenly bombarding her mind. She glanced around uncertainl, and feeling like a fish suddenly pulled out of water, gasping for breath. Though, of course, instad of breath she was gasping for thought. Suddenly she felt a touch at her shoulder, and a far off voice voice asking her if she was alright. Focusing on the voice she turned to face the speaker, building up her mental wall against the noise as she turned.

"Are you alright?" Ayshela repeated, concern in her voice.

"Yes..." Sam said, "I'm fine, thank you. I just...I'm fine." she said rubbing her left temple and reveling in the sudden silence, "Oh, and my name is Samantha Carmichael, Sam actaully."

"I know," Ayshela, face brightening, "Enjoy the Ball." she said before turning to the next guest.

Sam nodded and forced a smile. Walking into the room, she took a deep breath and risked letting her mental wall down enough to search through the room to see if anyone she knew was there. This time, since she was prepared, she held out long enough to discover that she had been right; no one she knew all that well was here. Feeling as though she would loose control of her thoughts any second, she built her wall up again. I need to get out more... she thought, cursing herself for acting like such a fool at the door. Ah well, next time I'll remember to prepare myself before walking in on a party...

Edited by troubled sleep

Ayshela stood near the doorway, anxiously awaiting the entrance of her guests. The smile plastered to her face would only show nerves to one who knew her well, though she felt like half of Annael's butterflies had invaded her stomach and were holding a Ball of their own!

The first to enter, praise the Goddess, was Peredhil. His gracious courtesy barely registered on her mind, badly jangled from nervousness. At his calm assurance that the ball would be successful, she hugged him warmly and felt the tension begin to ease. Watching him pass further into the Ballroom, she murmured "thank you, my friend" and turned to greet the next guest.

Regel entered, bearing gifts, which brought a broad smile to Ayshela's face. She had hoped for everyone's presence, presents were certainly not expected, though the thoughtfulness was gratefully appreciated. A lovely wine, beautiful flowers, and a small package?? "Candles of Sleeping" Regel explained, which pointed once more to his thoughtful consideration. Smiling at her thanks and welcome, Regel passed Ayshela and moved in the direction of Peredhil, as she carefully set the gifts on a small table nearby and turned toward the door again.

Wyvern entered, most peculiarly attired and pushing - a cart? What in heaven's name?? "Dr. Ayshela?" he asked as he reached her. Looking skeptically at his attire, she reminded him that it wasn't a costume ball. As his face filled with shocked dismay, he pulled out the invitation - upside down. Oh dear. Having straightened out the mix-up, Ayshela stood watching him make his way toward the refreshment tables. In fond amusement and barely concealed exasperation, she wondered if she should have appended a fine print notice forbidding any money-making schemes or demonstrations of Almost Dragonic products while at the Ball. Deciding his experiments would probably keep him busy for a while, and trusting Minay's boys to keep Wyvern from making TOO much of a mess of the tables, she forcefully put him out of her mind and turned back toward the door.

Well, she started to turn back toward the door, then whirled at once at the sound of crashing lights and smashing china. Oh dear, again. Hurrying to Gwaihir's side and calling to him to be still a moment, she hoped she could reach him before any more damage was done. "I'm so sorry," he said, and at the worried look on his face Ayshela could only laugh and forgive him. "It's all right, there, you're free of that set of lights. Perhaps we should move you away from them before they.. muss.. your most.. unusual.. attire?" Ayshela led him in toward the rest of the guests, then returned to the entrance.

The appearance of a flame ringed portal in the center of the entrance area gave pause, and a moment's concern. Before anxiety grew too great, however, a figure appeared, materializing into a stunningly attired Merelas. Ayshela waited for him to locate her, standing in bemused appreciation. As he approached, he suddenly looked nervous, and expressed hope that his entrance had not caused too much commotion. Ayshela assured him that all was well. "It was certainly.. unique." she said with a warm smile.

Her attention was suddenly drawn by the next entrance, a downcast looking man with the most stunningly beautiful crimson wings entered and made his way toward her. As he reached her, DoomGaze smiled and bowed, and asked if this was the Fall Ball. Stunned first by the gleaming wings, and secondly by the astonishing transformation of his face when he smiled, Ayshela could only nod to his question and watch him walk on toward the other guests.

Tiel and DL Snake swept in as Ayshela was recovering her powers of speech. Without being sure how she managed it, she welcomed them both and hoped they would enjoy themselves.

As they swept past, Ayshela looked over at the girl hovering just inside the door. She looked like she might be ill. Ayshela hurried over and put a gentle hand on her shoulder, asking "Are you alright?" As the girl turned to look at her, Ayshela recognized Sam, and smiled reassuringly as she stammered to introduce herself. She watched Sam walk hesitantly into the Ballroom, as if looking for someone. Turning toward Peredhil, she caught his eye and made a subtle gesture of concern toward Sam. Seeing him move in Sam's direction, Ayshela smiled her thanks at him and turned toward the door again, knowing that whatever the source of Sam's discomfort, she was in good hands.

Edited by Ayshela

Snake hovers by Tiel's side as he looked at Sam and Peredhil talking. Excusing himself, he walks over to find Ayshela.

"Er, good evening Ma'am. Actually I wasn't invited to this party, and I was hoping to lie to get pass your bouncers. You see, I heard that this ball would be the most happening place in town, hopefully you don't mind me gate-crashing," he admitted to the host(ess) as he bowed and awaited her answer.

"Ah, DL_Snake is it?"

"Please, Snake would do."

"I am so pleased that you would honour me with your presense Master Magician, are you sure you were not invited? Perhaps it was late in reaching you," her eyes twinkled as she regarded the smartly dressed Man, looking discomfited.

"Perhaps. I have been overdue for a visit to my home for quite awhile now. Plenty of businesses."

Ayshela glanced over at Tiel and SNake had the good grace to blush. He nodded towards Tiel engaging DoomGaze in small talk.

"SHe really is wonderful, no one has ever made me feel this way before. In order to carry on with my research, I had to exercise a lot of mind-calming methods just to concentrate on the task at hand. And she doesn't help at all by being there during the magical researches."

Ayshela laughed merrily with a glint in her eyes. "Really? So you are human like the rest of us after all."

Snake grinned and nodded as Ayshela excused herself to check on her other guests. He signalled a waiter for some wine and returned to Tiel and DoomGaze.

"M'lady, a drink?"

"Why thank you Snakie! Just what I needed!"

Snake looked thoroughly embarrassed as DoomGaze laughed at the name that Tiel called him. Blushing red, he offered his arm to Tiel and circulated around the room as music starts.

In the back of the ballroom, where no attention is being paid, a dark form flows forth from the shadows, sending smoking ripples of shadows upward from it's body. As it finishes passing through the wall, what appears to be two glowing crimson eyes open amidst the darkness. The form moves, avoiding the gazes of those around at nearly any cost. Sliding from shadow to shadow the form moves towards the seating area, calmly, quietly. An aura fills the area, that of death, darkness, and fear. Those near the shadow subconsciously begin to drift across the room to get away from the feelings the area is eminating.

As the shadow moves towards a seat is slowly takes the form of a man, about average height, slight of build, with a dark appearance. Moving from the smoking mass of darkness to the striding form of a man almost seamlessly it takes a seat by itself in a quiet corner. As one of the bouncers takes note of the new visitor he approaches this corner, that seems to even scare the light away from it.

"May I see your invitation sir?"

The man reaches into his coat, while still taking on his human form and hands the invitation to the bouncer

"Oh, the new comer, Alzorath, enjoy the ball."

Alzorath nods, his hair seeming to still be made somewhat of the shadows shifting to the side. He slides his hands across his mage coat to remove the last remnants of his wraith essence revealing his chosen attire for this evening. His Cloak of souls, a mage coat made of the souls of those who he has killed - and must remember for all eternity - shimmers with a blue shifting aura amidst a pure black cloth that seems to almost suck in the light. He has cut his hair down to a long spiked cut, and allowed a slight beard to grow out, sharing the darkness of his wraith form.

Taking a seat Alzorath raises his hand slightly as a shadow forms before it. As it is summoning, Alzorath reaches in and plucks out a black sketchbook with a pen. Making himself comfortable he begins to draw, and to keep himself to himself.

His history littered with much death and destruction, much darkness, a more complicated figure than his dark appearance seems to relay, Alzorath prefers to remain quiet, observe, and sketch. With a history like his, it would take ages to relay, but he has made a pact with the devil, and has the scars to remind him never to do it again. Over time, you may begin to understand even just part of how he came to be what he is now, but for now simply know he has much to attone for.

-------------------------

Lord Alzorath Mataku Daragoon

Archmage of the Darkness

Dark Prince of the Dara Empire

I have the shadows of hell in one hand, the powers of my family in the other, I must atone for the destruction I have wrought.

-------------------------

Celes Crusader arrives at the ballroom's door, with her invitation in hand. Obviously, the former terran mage had use every phantasm magic in her arsenal to create the tafetas gown, that had several shades of light blue. The long sleeves are ended with four strands of pearls that floats around the Troubadour's hand in random patterns. As for the body and the skirt, tiny pearls are actually swirling on the fabric, making different shapes and designs while dark blue fur is attached around her shoulders. Her low heels shoes are made of blue leather although they don't have any bizarre design on them. Celes' hair are hidden underneath veil made of taffeta while fur is circling her face from her forehead to the top of her nap of her neck, while pearl beads are imitating the patterns made on the gown. Her make-up, in soft pink tones, gives her subtle color to her pale skin and adds mystery to her features. The frenchie smiles at her hostess.

- Greetings Lady Ayshela. I'm looking foward to be entertained and I appreciate your invitation.

- Welcome Lady Celes....

Ayshela had an hard time to focus on her guest, thanks to the swirling beads, manage to move her gaze away from the gown.

- I apologies. What I was about to say is that I'm glad that you came over and that I'm sure you'll be entertained.

- Thank you! I hope that everything will be fine. Oh, I almost forgot, Arielle and Alice have brought for the enjoyment of your guest paninis. There's eggplants, ham and swiss cheese, bacon with tomatoes and salad, chicken, roastbeef and so many more.

The Café's cook and waitress had laid down the food on rolling service table, placing them in an appropriate emplacement.

- Thank you! Your cook's food is always appreciated.

- Your welcome. See you later.

While Lady Celes walks foward the other guests, Cambronne, the tall black male cat, is following his mistress, completely fascinated by the gown's constantly moving beads.

Quickly reassured by the gracious hostess, Merelas puts the event out of his mind in favor of enjoying a splendid party. He bows once more to the hostess, and then departs, waving to Peredhil as he does so, as one of the only other party-goers he is familliar with, as yet.

Merelas slowly circles the room, his garments shimmering as he walks, making small talk as he moves with those he recognizes, introducing himself to those he does not, and generally enjoying himself. Eventually, he makes it to the bar, where he orders a glass of (imagine this) red wine. As he sips the alcohol, he watches the room, the new appearances, and waits impatiently for more to visit.

Eventually, the band takes up an old-fashioned waltz, and for a moment he watches the elegant dancers... Lady Celes in her garments that out-shone his own, even, Elrond Peredhil, simple, yet wise and majestic all the same.

But in a moment, the half-fire-elf makes a split decision. Striding quickly over to the Lady Ayshela, he bows, and offers his hand, "May I have the honor of this dance, Lady?"

Salinye stood in front of a standing full length mirror in her newly acquired and decorated quarters two floors below Gyrfalcon and Daryl in their tower. She examined her reflection from head to toe with a critic’s eye looking for anything in disarray or to her displeasing. Her blonde locks were curled into loose flowing ringlets that flowed down her back stopping just above her waistline. The sides were held back with ornate silver clips in the shapes of delicate dragonflies bejeweled with small clear sparkling stones. All except the one strand that since child hood never seemed to be able to be pinned back for long. Somehow it always escaped to frame her face.

Her High elven features were accentuated with soft makeup not commonly worn by the wizardess and her creamy skin seemed to shimmer a bit from the powder she had applied. The gown she wore was very sentimental and special to Salinye. Her father had had it made for her. It was to be a gift when she was of age to begin courting, however he passed away before that time. Shortly after his death the Celestialgrace seamstress brought it to her explaining her father’s desires and why he had had it made. She had only ever worn it once before, and even now it took her breath away.

The material was made of the finest white silk. The weave was so fine it appeared as if the material might be sheer enough to see through, although it was not. The neckline was decorated in an intricate pattern of spun gold thread and plunged into a revealing, yet modest V showing the design of a caring father. The same ornate gold trimming lined the cuffs of the dress which extended into points onto the back of the wizardess’ hands as well as along the bottom rim of the full skirt. The back of the dress laced up bodice style and tied into a simple bow behind her. The dress hung upon her accentuating her figure in an alluring and yet modest fashion. To the experienced eye, one would recognize the gown as a royal garment.

The shoes she wore caressed her feet in a delicate pattern of straps. They were open toed revealing well-manicured toenails. However, her feet were lost within the floor length gown. She wore a simple pair of jeweled earrings, necklace, bracelet and anklet that matched the stones in her hair clips.

Although Salinye never mentioned her royal roots, nor her banishment from them, she couldn’t have looked more like royalty than she did at this very moment, even if she had tried, and normally, she did everything possible to hide this side of herself. This fact was not lost upon her and it unnerved her as much as it pleased her. Father, I hope you can see this. She thought to herself with a soft smile tinged with a hint of longing and sadness. Adding just a touch of lipstick she finally stepped away from her mirror and left her quarters to head to the ball.

The wizardess stood within the protective shadows just around the corner from the open ballroom doors. Although butterflies danced within the pit of her stomach the entire walk to the ballroom, she was suddenly panicked with a bout of extreme shyness as she neared the doors and had to stop to regroup herself. I love dancing! Why am I so nervous? This is silly! I used to attend socials all the time! She thought trying to convince herself to let go of her fears and walk into the room. The truth of the matter was, it had been a long time since Salinye had been to any sort of grand social event. The last time she had, she had been engaged and walked on the air of bliss. Since then many shadows had fallen upon her life and a part of her was buried as she learned to step back into the light of life again.

Finally after taking a deep breath she turned the corner as the light from the ballroom warmly embraced her. Just inside the doors she came upon Merelas and Ayshela. She curtsied formerly to them with a soft smile then moved on not wanting to interrupt as it appeared they may be about to leave the entryway for a spin on the dance floor. She disguised her shyness by circling the room admiring the splendid decorations.

The conversation with Peredhil was extremely comforting. How many times had one of his serenity spells saved him from certain death? A sudden commotion in the ball room and suddenly Regel was distracted by the appearance of another old friend dressed up in what appeared to be a white robe Regel turns. A gentle nudge in Peredhil’s side was followed with this side comment, “Hey P, look who’s here.” Peredhil turned to see six feet of scales push a cart and conversing with the Lady Ayshela. One of Peredhil’s eyebrows raised but as always a smile soon crosses his face. A quick conference was held then a few minutes later the two friends both walked up and asked in unison “What’s up, doc!” They fell over each other in laughter. A confused looking Wyvern appeared to be momentarily lost for words but the started with “..but honestly guys I thought it was llab llaf!”

[Peredhil]he wandered peacefully through the growing crowd, although he wondered where the rest of his family might be, a designation in which he fondly included his Bodyguards.

Drawn by the undercurrent of her pain, he stopped by Sam. As he murmured his delight at seeing her, he quietly recited the poem he'd heard recently by Damon, also lamenting the distance between the shared hearts of friends, but affirming love's ability to transcend time and educational institutions. Seeing the nostalgic tears mist her eyes, he stepped slightly to the left, which turned her side to the rest of the room but left her lovely profile for all to admire, allowing her a moment of privacy as he looked away. As so often happened in his life, fortune smiled in the presence of one of the waiters passing by. Peredhil carefully obtained a drink for Sam on which to sip and recover her poise, using the opportunity as he touched her hand to strengthen her barriers without rudely intruding his own thoughts. Assuring her that all here were either friends or friends waiting to happen, he moved onward pleased that another potential unhappiness had been averted to the best of his ability.

He hoped this would be an enchanted evening, where people put aside their doubts and truly saw each other.[Peredhil]

[Guido]I watched da Boss drift aimlessly around da room, but always being where he was needed. He never seemed to try but t'ings always was doing dat fer him. Shakin' my head just slightly, cause der was some canny birds down der, I still wondered hows he did it.

Nunce' and me'd been wit' da Boss fer 'bout some twenty-one Planes since he hired us when we was on da lam and about to go under, and den he wus da one that guarded us aginst da Mob Hitters. It was eerie, he just says "excuse me" to dem, likes he does, and walks on over to da glowing door. (Found out later it was a Portal, da Boss is really good wit da Adept magics.)

Everyt'in' dat could go wrong for dem did. Gats jammed or exploded on dem. I doan mind squealin', I was 'bout ready to go down, but Elrohir just grabbs us both and gives us da bum-rush across the room after da Boss. We'z both bigger dan him, but he pig-handled us like we was nuttin. Da Boss opens da door and motions for us to go first, and stands there lookin' sadly at da guys gettin' in each udders way and da roof fallin' in and da floor cavin and starts healing 'em! I couldn't believe it - dees was da best, dey hadda be to try fer Nunce and me. I'd seen'm take down a Big Bad Wolf like he was Goldilocks, but dey couldn't do a T'ING.

Da Boss finally say, "'Danny-boy, I'm not going before youse", and Elladan flashes dat big spotlight grin of his and sings out, "Yes Daddy" all sarcastic-like, den bounces off a table and den hop-frogs across da room on da Hitter's heads! Dat kid has big ones, da size of cannonballs.

Da Boss just looks at dey fedoras all squished down over da Hitter's eyes and says, "Dat was Rude Dan," and wez was through da door but we wasn't on da other side.

We wasn't any place I'd even heard of. Undead everywhere youse looked and peoples was walkin' round on little silver chains behind dem.

I pulls myself outta da woolgathering and watched Alzorath slick across da room. He was a canny one, solid. Been one a dem White Legion Knights, but stayed behind when dey all takes off to Norrath. Finally joined up with day Angels of de A-poco-lips who was runnin' da rearguard action in Terra before dat devil king, Mari, done screwed Terra up to bad to stay. I liked his action - if I hadn't da Faerie Dragon Ring da Boss made fer us on Plane t'irteen according to Nunce, but two accordin' to me cause it was two after we joined da Boss, den I prolly wouldn't have even seen him in da shadows. Him, dat Huntress Babe, dere was enough shadow-walkers, Planeswalkers, Angels, Devils, and e'eryt'ing else you could imagine here at da Pen. It was like dat udder crossroads of da Planes, Albuquerque, where youse could find anyone and e'eryt'ing.

You could really tell da newcomers here, dey would be all shocking or exotic, and find out dey was just anudder Penner here. Some of 'em couldn't take it and left, but lotsa the best relaxed and stayed.

Its dat sorta place here.

Wonder what was takin' Nunce so long? Da food down dere was lookin' sweet, and dat Salinye looked like she really knew how to turn a gam and cut de rug.[/Guido]

[Nuncio]I couldn't believe, but I could. Guido had been using my cumberbund for a slipshot again. I don't know who was helping him cast water balloons out over the Courtyard, but one of these days they'd hit someone. In the meantime, it left me without a complete formal suit. This was SO Guido. I lament the fact that while I've entered every school of higher learning I've ever found, he's the smarter one -if you can ever get his lazy brain to think. And he refuses to lose that horrible accent of our youth, as though he's still a knee-breaker or gutterboy numbers runner.

Using the Phantasmal magics I'd mastered to make up the difference was simply unthinkable. First, since this WAS formal, we'd be on duty and that meant cutting myself off to magic with the Ring. While it did cause me to be completely immune to most magics and illusions, it also denied me access to releasing my own power. Guido, of course, didn't mind, although he was a fair Eradication mage himself, when he wasn't playing with weapons or reading comic books.

Further, there were just too many other noble residents of the Pen who'd see through my feeble efforts and the embarassment would simply be unendurable.

I ground my teeth as I found my second best suit looking like swiss-cheese. It was him of course. He'd been using MY suits for target practice again. From the looks of it, he'd swiped Elrohir's vorpal dagger again. He just cannot accept that he can't "trick it out" as he refuses to give allegience to the proper powers. So smart but stubbornly anti-clerical. The very word vorpal gives the secret to anyone with wit to perceive, being an amalglamation of

verbal

gospel,

not that Guido would even care. Practical he claims, but look at my suits!

I'm late for the party, and I haven't a clue what I'm going to wear. If mother hadn't made me promise to take care of that litter runt I'd asphyxiate him tonight.[/Nuncio]

[Peredhil]I was enjoying my conversation with Regel when he gently nudged my ribs. His dry sense of humor was always a balm on sensitive nerves. Together we planned our assault and sallied forth to do battle with absurdity.

The fully Bardic Saint of Parties Elder Almost Dragonic has done it again. I felt a smile force its way onto my face as we approached. He began protesting before we even had a chance.

As we laughed, I saw the ever impressive Doomgaze and once again had to acknowledge his humbling effect on me - there are limits on the pains I can heal. At the memories of other failures tried to wreath my spirit in grey once more, all the way back to the first great failure, I turned my attention back to the irrepressable Wyvern.

I wonder if he suspected how his earnest efforts so helped me keep melancholy at bay?[/Peredhil]

Wyvern whines and shakes a scaley fist as more and more party people begin pointing towards him and giggling, muttering various jokes about Robert Louis Stevenson's Mr. Hyde under their breath. Blushing through his crimson scales as Regel exclaims "What's up doc!", Wyvern quickly avoids the laughter and seeks refuge next to the punchbowl at the refreshments counter of the party.

Reaching into his lab coat and pulling out the book "Mad Scientist Experiments for Dummies" by Dr. Tzimfemmstein, the overgrown lizard quickly begins flipping through the pages in the hopes of finding a formula for creating fizz. Coming across the general rule of "mixing whatever formulas happen to be in front of you and adding a touch of salt," the reptilian Elder grabs a beaker of "Elistosorimosis-171" and "Foot yeast serum #11" and begins combining the two of them. Adding in a touch of "Eye of Newt extract" and "Melba's toe-nail clippings," Wyvern watches the combined formula curiously as it morphs to a bright neon purple color. The overgrown lizard sniffs at the mixture, and is disappointed to find that it emanates a familiar sweet smell. He had accidentally mixed the formula for Nutrisweet™ rather than one that created fizz...

Cursing to himself and abandoning his formula practices, Wyvern leaves his cart unattended and wanders up to the bar of the Ballroom, feeling a hint of Alzorath's aura as he glances for a spot to sit on the stools. Noticing a very fine-looking lady dressed in one of those sexy strapless gowns that always drove him crazy, Wyvern straightens out his lab coat and makes his way to a vacant stool next to her, eyeing her sinisterly as he hisses:

"Hey baby... how would you like to be involved in a psychological experiment?"

The lady turns towards Wyvern and shrieks at his question and appearance, slapping him and tossing her glass of booze into his face before spraying him with a can of mace and kicking the legs off of his chair. The woman then proceeds to depart from the Ball in a fury, fully prepared to file a sexual harrassment case against the reptilian Elder.

Wyvern whimpers in his position crumpled on the floor of the bar. After basking in his anguish for a few moments, the lizard shrugs it off and lifts himself to his feet, making his way to the dancefloor to see if anyone wanted to do the "Funky Physician."

Annael yawned and curled up into a tighter ball on her branch, her black wings draping over her to keep her warm. Something soft bounced off her nose, causing her to wrinkle it. Then again, another bounce. And another. Suddenly, her face was being attacked by little bouncing things!! Opening her eyes to see what was going on, Annael saw her butterflies swarming in front of her face. Startled, she moved a little too far and gave a small squeak as she fell off her branch and dropped to the ground below. Wincing at the knowledge of some more damaged feathers, she stood up and glared at her butterflies.

"What??? That's the first time I've slept in days and you guys start doing the hooky pooky on my face! What???"

The butterflies started to make formations in the sky causing Annael to slap her forehead.

"The ball! I'm late again!!"

Taking off at a dead run for the Keep, Annael left her butterflies fluttering in dismay as they tried to keep up with the figure of their ragged looking mistress. Reaching the doors of the Keep's Ballroom, Annael slid to a stop before the guards.

"Hi there. Sorry I'm late. I fell asleep you see and I haven't slept for days...and gaa...that doesn't matter. Let me in!"

The guards looked at eachother, and the ragged fallen angel before them and opened the doors with a florish, making sure that everyone inside would turn at the commotion to see who was coming through the doors. Annael frowned at the guards.

"Thanks guys, like I don't feel like an idiot already, now everyone is staring at me."

Annael continued to grumble as she entered the ballroom, her butterfliles having decided that her outfit needed a little spicing up so they settled themselves in her curls. The multicoloured butterflies amongst the black curls gave Annael a rather cheery look, except for the ragged dress, the tarnished halo, bare feet and the look of sorrow in Annael's eyes. Annael approached her hostess sadly

"I'm so sorry that I'm late. There's nothing that I can do to really make up for my inexcusable rudeness, but please, accept this as a token of my apology...."

Annael closed her eyes for a moment, smiled a little, then opened them. When she did, it was to see thousands of little butterflies hovering in the room, each of them wearing a little bell. Every movement of the little beasties causing a sweet tinkling to echo through the air.

Smiling at Ayshela, Annael dipped her brightly adorned head and started to make her way to a window that caught her fancy. Butterflies following in her wake, a few black feathers drifted down to settle on the ground at Ayshela's feet.

Celes walks over Annael and smiles at her.

- Don't worry about your outfit... I'll help you fix that

The Troubadour makes a chant and a gorgeous sari made of white silk white golden trims appears in front of her. The the sari wraps itself around Annael's, forming a more fitting gown.

- There you go!

Wyvern recognize the fabric and was about to protest but Celes shutted him down

- You don't want Annael to bear rags that hides her genuine beauty don't you? Besides, I think you can live with one sari less in your treasury.

The overgrown lizards fume but he wasn't sure if its because the Frenchie stole the sari or he didn't find the courage to reclaim his property, knowing that the angel was lovely in it. Annael laughs and winks at Wyvern

- Don't worry, you'll have it tomorrow all cleaned up.

Celes was at the bar and while she's trying to start a conversation with her guest, she keeps hushing Cambronne down, who is constantly meowing after her now.

Alaeha stopped herself just around the corner from the ballroom to take a brief inventory of herself. Her dress fit properly... and through some miracle didn't manage to restrict her movements as much as she had expected. The loose fabric still hid the dagger behind her sash. Everything was as it had been when she left her room, clear down to the butterflies in her stomach.

With a laugh and a softly sung melody, she banished the butterflies, sending them to join their kin with Annael. Having regained her confidence, she walked the remaining distance to the ballroom quickly, though she retained the grace her mentors had helped her to perfect. As a SpellSinger and a diplomat, she wasn't allowed the luxury of imperfection.

As she neared the door, she forced a smile and drew the invitation from within her sleeves.

"My apologies for my tardiness..." She said. "I trust I'm still allowed in?"

The Guards looked from the blonde half-elf before them to the invitation in her hand, to eachother, back to the woman, and opened the doors with matching shrugs. She smiled warmly, flattered at receiving two looks, and entered.

A quick scan of the crowd showed Ayshela to be busy, so she found Salinye admiring the decorations. Smiling to herself, this time, Alaeha snuck up behind Salinye with a mischievous look to her face.

"It's lovely." She commented from behind the Wizardess. "The entire room is, really.

Laughing at her friend's surprise, she swept her into an embrace.

"So how has the ball been thus far? Did I miss anything?" She asked, slipping into the festive mood of the occasion.

"You are indeed a most generous person Lady Celes." Regel bows and stepped forward extending his hand. "It is a true pleasure to meet you. My name is Regel I am new here and waiting on Wyvern to recover and introduce me,.... well, let's just say I couldn't wait that long." Smiles were exchanged when suddenly a tall black cat approached Regel. He stopped and crouched down as the cat approached. It was hard to tell if the trill came from the cat or Regel but Cambronne responded in kind, he twirled around and rubbed his back and side against Regel's black tux. "It's a good thing I wore black." chuckled Regel as he gently scratch Cambronne under the chin.

Edited by Regel