wedding present. The trees and vines had begun to take back what they

considered their own. The door still opened to her touch and thought and

inside not even dust dared settle on the beauty elven furniture graced the

entry way but Wren didn't even have time to wool-gather she took the marble

stairs 3 at a time and ran down the hall way then stopped at the double doors

grabbing the golden handles she threw them open hurried in and started to

rummage into a huge ornate trunk at the bottom of the matching 4 poster bed

gold leaf on hand carves beauty filled the room all natural forms winding

vines and tree trunks, leaves and tiny representations of the wildlife found around the elven forest.

At the very bottom of the trunk Wren pulls out the

wedding gown never that she never wore. Forest green silk, carefully

embroidered autumn leaves with bronze, silver and gold threads in a thick

border around the flowing skirt the as the workmanship rises from the floor

the leaves get smaller until the form small borders up the bodice lacing

"I’m going to need help with this but it looks like it will still fit "

Wren smiles to herself fold the dress carefully and leaves the house the same way she came stopping only to pick up the necklace given made for her with such

love. She stuff everything in a leather sack hugs an kisses Arken thanking

him for his patience then leaps onto his back again for the ride home.

Wren fusses and stresses what to do with her unruly hair and finally gives up

letting it take it natural tumble of curls falling past her waist then win a

cloud of green and gold she slips into the dress. Thankfully there is always

a stray person in the hallways of the pen. She peaks her head out and grabs

hold of Regel who is on his way down to the ballroom. "I need your help" As

she drags him in into her room and closes the door behind him. With a look of

almost panicked pleading she then turns around to show him the golden lacing

up the back of the bodice of the gown. Could you help?

“Wren?” Regel started “Absolutely, what can I do?” with that WrenWind swept him into a room and closed the door. Regel’s heart jumped a beat; it often did at the best of times around WrenWind. She turned and explained her dilemma to him.

Regel stood there frozen in the moment unable to speak or move. The light that fell of her bare back was a warm yellow light that emanated from a small lantern in the corner. The gown was strikingly beautiful and glimmered in the soft light.

As quickly as he could Regel watched as she gathered the cascade of curls to one side and showed him what she needed him to do. Regel took the golden lace and started threading it from the bottom. Quietly Regel weaved the golden strand through the openings in the bodice of the gown. The curve of the young woman’s back left Regel’s mouth suddenly dry. Char’s voice echoed the same message he had spoken earlier aloud to himself. He quickly gather himself and finished the pleasant task at hand.

“All done” was all Regel said when she suddenly turned and thanked him.

With a hug and a kiss on the cheek Wren shoves the now beffuddled mage out the door and pionts him back in the direstion he was heading before she kidnapped him from the hallway

Wren takes one last look in the mirror and tucks an unruly curl behind her ear. She lifts the necklace off the vanity and carefully claps it around her neck mithril and diamonds a delicate design mad for her by Knight as his wedding gift to her and one he bade her keep when the vows were never taken. He was called back and she has rarely seen him since. Wren sighs, shakes off the old.

"Oh no! I forgot shoes"!!

For the first time since entering the pen Wren uses some magic. Only a

little weave to make a pair of silk slippers to match her dress.

"Ok I think I'm ready."

Wren walks silently down the hall and around the corner to the ballroom doors. She reaches into the bodice of her dress and fishes out the invitation and shows it to the guards at the door. One of then politely opens the door and in a booming voice announces her entrance

"The Lady Wren Windsong"

Taking a deep breath she calms herself and smiles greeting the Hostess with a

customary huggle.

"The place looks absolutely beautiful. Thank you for inviting me."

One more comforting squeeze and Wren steps back turns and looks around the

rest of the room Her tiny frame with ample curves and the tumble of dark curls framing a fair skinned face with large violet eyes cause a few of the gentlemen present to stop and take notice. She spots the almost dragon heading for the dance floor and heads off to cut him off before he is swept into a waltz by one of the other lovely guests.

(OOC big thanks to Regel for doing his part )

Edited by WrenWind

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gyrfalcon paused at entrance to the Ballroom, tugging gently at the cuffs of his shirt. He felt vaguely uncomfortable, despite the fact that the clothes he was wearing were among the most comfortable he had ever felt. They consisted of a pair of black pants and a white shirt with golden embroidery around the collar and cuffs and curling around the buttons down the front. The outfit seemed fairly plain, except that both the shirts and the pants were both crafted from a material that Gyrfalcon couldn't identify easily, and were light yet warm.

He realized that his discomfort was a subconscious reaction to his nervousness. Despite his mental acknowledgement of why he felt uncomfortable, the half-elf again adjusted the ornately trimmed cuffs, golden threads picking out a subtle pattern of roses and vines.

"Come on, Gyr, it's a ball! It'll be fun!" Daryl said from behind the half-elf. Gyrfalcon looked over his shoulder and smirked at Daryl, who was currently in his human form. "Oh, that's what you say. Where's your date, anyway?" he said, changing the subject.

Daryl grinned at Gyrfalcon. "She'll be along in a few minutes. You know women always like to take some time to adjust their hair one last time and make sure everything's just right."

Gyrfalcon shook his head and leaned against the wall, prepared to wait quite a while, and closed his eyes. The tapping of heels on stone opened his eyes, and Daryl was grinning broadly even before the slim elven woman rounded the corner, dressed in a white evening dress that shimmered in the light. It was cut just low enough in the front to show a hint of cleavage, mostly to show off a small pendent that hung from a silver chain. She smiled warmly at Daryl and spun. "How do I look?" she asked impishly, her question answered by Daryl's somewhat slack expression.

"Wonderful, Jehane..." he breathed, grinning a little foolishly as the two hugged and brushed lips before separating. Jehane motioned imperiously, and Daryl chuckled and turned around slowly to show off the black tuxedo he was wearing for her inspection.

"Very nice." Jehane approved, adjusting his lapels slightly. "Well, now that we're all here, shall we go in? I hope you remembered that invitation, Gyrfalcon."

Gyrfalcon smiled and pulled out Ayshela's Fall Ball invitation. "Well, if this isn't it, someone gave me a very clever forgery." Gyrfalcon said dryly. Then he looked at it closely. "Or a not so clever forgery. Daryl?"

Daryl looked innocent. "Are you accusing me of something, Gyrfalcon?" He said, turning large golden eyes on Gyrfalcon, his lip quivering. "And I thought you were my friend!" Jehane poked him in the side, and Daryl broke down and chuckled as he slipped the invitation out of an inside pocket and handed it to Gyrfalcon. The other two chuckled and shook their heads, used to Daryl's antics now.

Gyrfalcon took the lead and presented the invitation to the doorman. "The two with me are Daryl and Jehane, and they are my guests." Gyrfalcon said, and the doorman nodded and opened the door. "Enjoy the celebration." he rumbled, and the three thanked him as they entered.

Gyrfalcon was the first in line to greet Ayshela among the three, and he bowed deeply to her as he took her hand, brushing his lips across the back of her hand. "Thank you for hosting this Ball, Ayshela, and thank you also for the invitation to attend." The half-elf straightened and smiled. "Despite not being a fan of formal events, I think I'll enjoy my time here, thanks to your efforts."

He slipped away, allowing Daryl and Jehane to greet Ayshela as well before moving on. Standing at the entrance to the ballroom, Gyrfalcon looked around for familiar faces, interested by how familiar people could look so different in a new setting. Then again, he himself wasn't nearly attired his familiar garb, so he didn't have room to talk.

The half-elf chuckled to himself as he walked down the stairs, slipping through the crowd to approach the refreshment table. As he did so, the crowd swirled and cleared, and he and Salinye bumped into each other. The half-elf stepped back reflexively and caught Salinye's arm to make sure she did not fall before releasing his grasp and bowing his head to her. "My apologies, Salinye." he said, a faint flush of embarrassment reddening his face.

Salinye stared at him for a long moment, then blinked and smiled. "What did Daryl have to threaten you with to get you to wear something nice?"

Gyrfalcon chuckled as he offered Salinye his arm. "Actually, I planned to dress up for once. Daryl just reminded me that this outfit was in my closet... and then hid the other two. Small loss, your gift is much more comfortable then they were. I don't know if I said thank you then, but I do say thank you now."

Salinye smiled as she took his arm. "You're welcome. I noticed Daryl enter with an elven woman on his arm. Was that Jehane?"

Gyrfalcon nodded, and Salinye laughed softly. "They look happy together." He nodded and chuckled.

"They are, from everything I can tell." He said, offering Salinye a glass of elven wine. Salinye laughed again, and he considered the wine before putting it down and offering her a glass of sparkling water. "More to your taste?"

Salinye started to take the glass of sparkling water from Gyrfalcon then paused smiling. “You know, I think one glass of elven wine would be alright on such a wonderful occasion.” Gyrfalcon raised an eyebrow at her. “Just one, though.” She said to answer his questioning look.

He chuckled placing the sparkling water back upon the table and handed her the glass of elven wine. “Whatever you wish, M’lady.” He said with a slight smirk. He and Daryl on various occasions had offered her wine and she had always declined. She had never had a high alcohol tolerance, however, she didn’t think one glass of wine would cause any embarrassment.

She turned to run an eye over his attire once more. When she first bumped into him she was glad she had that awkward moment to cover the shock she felt at seeing him in those clothing. She had made them long ago for her betrothed, the cloth was elven spun and enchanted in ways Gyrfalcon didn’t realize. If he was to be observant he might notice the material of her dress was not too unlike it. The gift had not been given lightly. It was given after a bout of heroics saved her life. “You do clean up well, Ranger.” She said before taking a casual sip of her wine and Gyrfalcon just laughed.

“Whoa.” Came a familiar sarcastic voice from behind her. “Aren’t you breaking some sacred prude high elven rule or something?” Daryl asked accompanied by Jehane who smacked his shoulder.

Salinye and Gyrfalcon turned as the wizardess asked, “What are you two? The alcohol patrol? I AM 128 years old!” Daryl laughed and bowed deeply his voice turning to mock seriousness. “Oh, my apologies, my lady. I assumed Gyrfalcon was with our wizardess friend, not an Elven princess!” Jehane giggled and Salinye rolled her eyes, for this was the nature of their relationship. Her close bond of friendship with the werefox had developed quite unexpectedly, however, it was rare that she saw him in human form.

“Well,” she replied. “I knew I’d be next to Jehane all night, so I had to at least TRY to measure up!” Salinye smiled to Jehane whom she had quickly become very fond of, not only because she was a wonderful person, but also because she saw how happy she made Daryl.

“Seriously Sal, you look beautiful.” Daryl said in a more sincere tone.

“Thank you, Daryl. At least someone noticed.” She replied playfully elbowing Gyrfalcon in the ribs. “You both of course are the perfect example of a beautiful couple in love and I will spend the night basking in your happiness! (or gagging, one of the two.)” She added just for fun.

The music shifted from the upbeat medley it had been playing to that of a waltz. Jehane let go of Daryl’s arm and took his hand. “I believe you owe me a dance, handsome.”

Daryl swept her into his arms and spun her around a few times before dipping her dramatically backwards so that they were both once again looking at Gyrfalcon and Salinye. “Are you going to join us?” Daryl asked challengingly more to the ranger than her.

Salinye looked longingly at the dance floor. Dancing was one of her passions, she once long ago taught elven children the basics in her home city. However, she remembered Gyrfalcon once saying he didn’t know how to dance or didn’t like to dance or something along those lines. The last thing she wanted was to make her friend uncomfortable. She stumbled over her words. “Oh…I’m not sure…perhaps later?”

So Jary turned from his limp body and began her journey back to her birth world, through the sky and into the new dimension.

Zariah clamped the book shut.

Finally the series was over. Now to more important and relevant books. But wait, wasn’t there something happening today? The Ball. I don’t know anyone there. But, at least Crow and I can continue our conversation of the history of crow-speak. I want to tell her more about my Mother-wing. Perhaps she knew something about her fatal illness. Crow seemed to know a lot about many things. Could she help me make some interesting friends?

Zariah contemplated these things as she threw off her green tunic and jumped into her black velvet pants…well, she almost made it. She literally tried to jump into them, and missed, tripping over her own two tiny feet and landing face down on the hard slate floor of her quarters. Zariah sighed, pushed herself up from the ground and kicked the velvet pants under her bed. Frustrated, she stomped over to the water basin and washed her dirty hands and face. She stared into the looking glass, and realized that this was her first real public appearance here at the Pen.

I really do hope to learn of all these interesting writers. I have never met elves, half-elves, mages, or wizards. Let alone mind-readers, angels, shadow-walkers, or almost dragons. I wonder if they are more interesting as humans. In my studies here, thus far, this bunch seems to get along well for the most part.

And what of this Nyyark? He is a bit strange. But at least he was willing to go to keep Crow and I company!

Zariah retrieved her velvet pants and changed into her simple, yet nice and casual outfit.

On her way out, she plucked up her leather pouch and a new book to stick her nose in, in case the Ball was unexciting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At the entrance, Zariah rummaged through her bag and pulled out the invitation, handing it sheepishly to the guard.

"Excuse me miss but this is not the invitation.”

Zariah grabbed the parchment, afraid of what it could have been, and then her face turned a rosy pink. It was a poem she was writing, and he had read it.

The lonliness is haunting

In my dreams both night and day

I yearn for friendship fully

Yet I don’t know what to say.

This always happens to me. Grrrrrr.

“Uh, here this must be it,” she said as she handed the real invitation over.

Peering inside before she took a step over the threshold, she observed the interacting people. Deciding it was safe, Zariah tip-toed in, and gazed upward at the happy faces looking down at her.

“Welcome, Zariah! It’s so nice to have you join us!”

“Erh, heh...um. Oh, geez. Where are my manners! Thank you, Ayshela. That’s your name? I’m Zariah. We’ve never formally met. You have a beautiful dress.” She then added in a whisper,“Isn’t that the kind of thing I am supposed to say?”

Ayshela smiled and nodded. Zariah hurried away quickly, before anyone decided to comment. She gazed up at the beautiful wooden panelled walls. The stained glass windows caught her attention, and she began to compare the intricate designs to one another. The music filled the room with a feeling of autumn essence.

I guess that’s in the spirit of having a Fall Ball. I wonder if Crow and Nyyark are here. I suppose not, since I don’t recognize Crow anywhere. She kind of stands out, being large and all. Meanwhile, I suppose I shall plop down in one of these chairs and start on my new book.

Edited by Zariah

Sam stood sipping her drink, scanning the crowd around her. With Peredhil's help in strengthening her defense against the thoughts of the others, she felt more confidant and just a bit more secure. But still she scanned the room, with a slightly terrified eye, unsure of whether she should just walk up to someone and inroduce herself or just stand here.... In the end she had to move, as part of the floor was being cleared so that dancing could commence. She watched the dancers for a moment, admiring the ladies' dresses before turning back to her own situation.

She glanced about the room, verifying her earlier scans of who was there. Sure enough, her telepathic scan hadn't failed her, though of course there had been a few additions to the party since then...but still, no one familier other than by sight had appeared. Taking a last sip of her drink, she set the empty glass down on a nearby table and looked around once more with re-newed resolve. Despite the fact that everyone seemed to be grouping up, there were still a few people standing alone. And so, burying her nervousness, she walked towards one, a woman sitting by herself. She could almost remember her name...something with a Z...Zariah maybe? Yes, thats what it was, or at least she hoped so.

"Hello," she said once she was both closer to Zariah and had triple checked to make sure her defences against casual and broadcasted thoughts were still high, "My name is Sam, I think I've seen you before around here, but I've never really spoken to you. Oh," she stopped, noticing the book in the other's hand, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to disturb you...".

Zariah, slightly startled, quickly closed the book with her right thumb between pages 15 and 16.

"Hello, yes, I am Zariah. I never caught your name? You are?"

"Samantha Carmichael, but you may call me Sam."

"Oh, well nice to meet you, er, Sam. Right. Well, I am not a very social butterfly as you can tell. But there are enough of them surrounding Annael, wouldn't you think?"

Zariah points at Annael accross the room.

"So," Zariah continued, "Riiiiight. Um, well as you noticed, I was reading. I did take a look at the beautiful stained glass windows. Heh...Um. Oh! Did you know I was raised by crows. That's true. You can cut in at anytime-"

Orlan, Sexy Sexy Elder, sat looking at the glowing lights coming from the Pen Keep. He stood just outside the main entrance; his painting overalls had a fresh sheet of Cocoa Banana Cream Coffee latex paint, as did his hat, shoes and some of his hair. He had an empty paint bucket with various brushes sticking out of the top of the bucket. The door opened itself before Orlan under the elder’s command and Orlan stepped his way through. He caught sight of a few people, well dressed, filing through to the Cabaret Room.

“What the f-” Orlan began. He walked over to the door to the Cabaret Room and was a little shocked. He had not seen the Pen look like it looked for a long time. Decorations were all over the place, sprucing up the entire room. Standing before the door, glowing in her own right, was Ayshela, a vision of beauty herself. Orlan walked over to the young miss and smile at her.

“Did I miss something, Ayshela?” Orlan asked. Ayshela gave Orlan a confused look.

“It’s the Fall Ball,” she said, her voice imitating her look. “I gave you an invitation, didn’t I? There were so many to give out but I was certain I made one for everyone.”

“Invitation…that doesn’t ring a bell, but I haven’t been around much lately,” Orlan said, touching a hand to his paint stained overalls. “The work of an Elder is forever in ‘almost done.’”

“Hmm, if I didn’t give it straight to you, chances are that I’d put it in your room,” Ayshela said. Orlan set down the paint bucket and reached it out in front of him. His hand vanished into nothing as Orlan phased his hands into his room and an instant later his invitation appeared in his hand. Orlan cracked it, opened it and read it, his eyebrows shooting up as he read.

“Hmm, this sounds fun…but I don’t think I’m quite set up for this…” Orlan said. He tossed the invitation up in the air and grabbed the front of his overalls, giving it a good solid yank! A flash of light later, Orlan stood, decked out in a suit of the finest fabric found in the entire realms. Night black suit, a dark grey shirt and a tie with stars that constantly were swirling around the black tie. Ayshela laughed and clapped her hands together at the show from the Elder of Bards. Orlan stretched out his hand and caught the invitation before it hit the ground.

“Ahh, that feels better…now let’s see…I certainly can’t go alone to a ball so…” Orlan reached down and grabbed hold of the bucket with painting tools in it and tossed it into the air. When it came back down and hit the ground the floor exploded in a shower of sparks. Standing there was Rapier, Orlan’s general and favorite Fallen Dominion. The wingéd beauty stood next to Orlan, dressed in, or rather wrapped in, a piece of inch wide black leather, covering the most necessary places. Her black wings flapped a few times. She looked down on her apparent dress.

“Sir, what the hell is this?” Rapier demanded of Orlan. The Elder laughed and winked.

“Nothing my dear, just a ball.” Orlan turned back to Ayshela who was now wide-eyed at Rapier’s outfit. “Now then what kind of guest would I be if I did not bring a gift. Let’s see…where is that…hmm…I forget…aha!” Orlan produced a business card from his pocket and handed it over to Ayshela. She took hold of it and read the card aloud.

“ ‘Sands of Slinky! A Great God and Pharaoh Nanotoknonnen product!’ … What’s this?” she asked him. As if in response, the business card withered into sand and fell from her hand. She reached down and tried to catch the sands, and succeeded, and the sand congealed again into the same business card. Ayshela stared at the card for a moment.

“That’s just a prototype, best not to get it wet,” Orlan winked and offered his arm to Rapier. His general took it, though the look she gave Orlan was one of exasperation. “How about we mingle, eh?”

Orlan and Rapier stepped into the ballroom.

DoomGaze sat on an empty chair near the bar, watching new arrivals come in. He sat quietly just staring in awe at the beautiful gals who walked in with their unique but remarkable dresses. It made him wonder if he was actually fitting in. His attention drew to the fallen angel known as Annael. He smiled and thought to himself "At least I'm not the only fallen angel here."

He chuckled and gave a sigh of relief even though he still did not know how to fit in.

With his nervousness gone, his shyness took its place. He grew silent as the conversations in the Ballroom grew louder.

The fact that know one talked to him after he had introduced himself worried him much, and sometimes he felt like leaving the perfect opportunity to really get to know the people who were around him all this time. DoomGaze then proceded to stretch his crimson wings, trying to get people's attentions, but no luck. He sat quietly, thinking and admiring the laughter-filled environment.

"I was never cared for in the beginning, what makes this time so different?" he wondered.

So many unanswered questions made him reflect upon his unwanted past. "Who would want to see an angel who has lost his immortality anyways, I am an outcast, a loner, and that's all I'll ever be," he whispered to himself angrily, "and yet I was invited wasn't I? For one reason or another, right?!"

DoomGaze stood up, had an even bigger frown on his face that he has ever had, and walked slowly towards the exit to the ball, with his head staring down to the floor. He stopped within the crowd, to think if was the right thing to do, and just stood there, awaiting an answer from his lost minded thoughts...

Edited by DoomGaze

Zariah glanced up and saw a male figure with wings, she had never seen an Angel before. And he looked so very sad.

"Excuse me Sam, I will be back in a moment, I have someting to do."

Zariah quickly glided accross the floor and gently tapped the fellow on the shoulder.

"Excuse me, I know this is very odd, and I am not one to usually socialize, but would you like to talk? My name is Zariah. Who are you?

Edited by Zariah

DoomGaze quickly glanced up and revealed his sorrow-burdened face, to the lady who called herself Zariah. He was amazed that someone was actually talking to him.

"The name is.. errm.. ummm, Doomgaze" he studdered.

He slightly chuckled at her remark of not the one to socialize. She looked at him with awkward feel to it, and slightly punched him on the shoulder.

"What's so funny?" she asked.

"Oh nothing, just the fact that I'm a little unsocial too," he grinned, "but the fact that you are willing to talk to me brings a little happiness into myself."

She stared at him from head to toe, as if examining all his features. DoomGaze mockingly twirled for her with a slight grin on his face. "Is that better, or shall I do a counter-clockwise spin for you too" he said sarcastically. DoomGaze laughed, but knew he was going to receieve another punch from the lady. "Ok, ok, I'm sorry, didn't mean to insult you in any way."

She nodded and punched him again, then grinned.

"Seems to me, you've never seen an angel before, eh? Well I don't blame you, there's an abundance of elves here," he looks at all the elves. " What about yourself Zariah?" he smiled with shyness.

Edited by DoomGaze

Zariah, confused at this behavior decided to act tough, and figured it would help her over come her shyness as well as come to understand this beautiful, yet sad creature before her eyes.

"Well, Doomgaze, I am Zariah, Lady of the Crows. I come from a far off land, and I have found this place as my long-term, yet temporary home. I was just commenting to Sam about the stain glass windows, and then I ran out of interesting things to talk about."

I must sound like an idiot. Oh what they hey! This is a new emotion I am feeling, I should go with it and withstand in this euphoria for as long as it takes. Perhaps when it wares off, I can head to the bar for a boost.

"Hmmm, well as you can tell, I love to read, heh. You? What do you do?"

What do you do? What a lame thing to say. I should just go back to my chair and continue reading.... When will Crow get here anyways!!!! Oh...and Nyyark too.

Zariah turned that same color pink that she did upon her embarrassing entrance.

Edited by Zariah

"Me?!?!" DoomGaze struggles to find the words. (Well actually he knows the answer, but he doesn't want to sound boring.)

"Well, I like to think about stuff," he says, ("Oh good one, Doomy, now thats just interesting!!") and I like wander alone, so that no one can disturb me while I think."

("Well now you've made my day, you completely said the opposite of what you were set out to do.")

He watches as Zariah waits impatiently for someone to enter the Ballroom. DoomGaze quickly tries to catch once more her attention by tapping her on the shoulder. "Are you waiting for someone, Zariah?" She quickly nodded. In a desperate attempt to get her mind off of the entrance of the Ball, DoomGaze quickly suggested "Why don't you show me around, and perhaps.... errm, how should I say this... introduce me to some of your friends in here?" She sighed then accepted his idea. She began to walk through the crowd and DoomGaze wasn't too far behind.

Towel. Chocolate. Towel and chocolate?

Tzimfemme wasn't accustomed to stressing over what to wear. While she wrapped, one by one, a series of sizes of towel around her in immodest drapes, a tiny hand reached from inside the shower cubicle and stole the pot of body chocolate. "I'm a simple person," Tzimfemme told the angled mirrors, covering the sounds of the little gnomie slurping out of the pot. "I don't do clothing," and she shed the current towel, "nor ballroom dancing." She squinted at the infinite, progressively more blurry Tzimfemme reflections. "Neither makeup nor small talk--but that's fine, people see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. Maybe there'll also be some who want to think."

She wrapped the headband fabric over her braids and clipped on her guild symbols: the circular pie-graph with five segments, the blue most vivid; a Serra Angel with a crown of miniature chocolates and the gown airbrushed away; whips of wormwood bowed down with white blossoms. Passing through Dr. Tzimfemmestien's lab to the outside door, she stepped aside (Minta, invitation already pocketed, bolted through the open door as Tzimfemme turned away) and cracked open a drawer of the deep-freeze unit. Inside this one lay thirty frosty shotglasses, many filled and labeled with a type of vampire; she selected one, shuddered, muttered, "It's only a precaution, I don't NEED to burn it," and gulped it down.

Tzimfemme sniffed the air. Taffeta after years in storage. . .way, WAY too much face powder, or an explosion from Almost Dragonic Industries' animal testing lab. . .roast beef panini. . .pathos. . .burning mana--portal maybe. . .ham and swiss panini. . .and a pleasing lack of rampaging hormones. Breaking wrists of hands that got too familiar was deeply ingrained, and she couldn't shut off the reflex, not even for an event as genteel as a Fall Ball. Besides, if this ran true to the form of the usual Pen get-together, the healers and rebuilders would be plenty busy by the end of it.

"Invitation," stated a doorman who was anxious about a naked savage standing in the way of respectable guests.

A small bluish portal popped open and Tzimfemme stuck her hand into it. Her expression froze for a moment, forearm muscles twitching as she groped blindly around. "Blood and bones," she muttered as no invitation came to hand and the doormen crossed ceremonial sabres in front of the door, but she did not retreat. There were four options at this point: stun the doormen with phantasm or clerical magic and hope they hadn't been infused with faerie dragon resistance (unlikely), burn the vampire blood and charm them into letting her in sans invitation (which would leave her subject to vampiric faults for awhile, in a room FULL of lit candles), simply whack 'em over the head and let herself in (gauche), or--

The other end of a Tzimfemme portal appeared in the ballroom, about head height to a human. "Hello? Can anyone hear this? One-two-three. . .ahem. One of my people swiped my invitation. If she's there, kindly propel her to the door so that she can let me in using it; if she's not, er, would one of you tell the doormen I've come as your fashionably late date?"

Annael hummed along with the music that the band was playing as she sipped on a glass of water. Her bare feet tucked up beneath the beautiful dress that Celes had conjured up for her. She gazed around the room smiling and winking at those that she made eyecontact with. She saw a flash of red out of the corner of her eye and turned to see what it was. She raised an eyebrow as she DoomGaze flex his wings. She curved one wing forward and checked a black feather before looking at his crimson red feathers.

"Hmmm...I wonder how he keeps his feathers so immaculate? Mine keep falling out, the darn things!" Annael shook her head to dislodge a couple of butterflies and nodded her head in the direction of DoomGaze.

"Off you go, see if the Crimson Winged One will come and converse, if he's not busy that is. If he is busy, leave him alone. Just let him know that I said hi. And be nice!" Annael frowned at her butterflies to make sure that they knew she wasn't kidding.

[Peredhil]After taking a turn or two on the dance floor (what a pleasure to dance with a lady who could follow a lead), he set out to mingle again. Along with everyone else, he paid hommage to Orlan by stopping to look at the couple as they entered. He ignored Rapier's wink and just smiled back at her - For a Fallen Dominion who liked it, she'd been a really great conversationalist, once she realized talk was all that was on his mind.

Noting Ayshela was doing well, he started over to greet Alzorath.[/Peredhil]

[Guido]So I'm snapping my paws and jazzing to da tunes - dat kid wit da licorice stick could sure lay down a lick - when I sees da ceremonial Door Wardens takin' der job too seriously. Rent-a-cops. Sheesh.

Anyways, Tzimfemme is *not* one to suffer fools gladly, or unhappily fer dat matter. I try to contact Nunce, but he's still pissy about da whole suit t'ing and not talkin' to me.

Dis was an emergency, and I wasn't gonna interrupt da Boss. Not tonight, not a chance.

I pops da FDR off and reach fer power, den opens a quicky Portal to Elladan, makin' sure dat it is away from me and pointed toward da window. Sure enough, the splurt of fire dat gouts out fryin' da glass. Then it almost faster than now goes away.

That's 'Dan fer ya, a bit itchy on surprises, but pretty quick on da uptake.

"Yes?" whispers da sweet voice, and I kin hear the smile, so like any smart pig, I starts sweatin'. I make sure I don't let da fear in my voice, why put blood in da wadder?

"yo 'Dan," sez I, "Got a Situation at da Fall Ball door. Da Wardens look like der hasslin' Tzimmy 'bout no invite. And da Boss is on da floor dancin' and funnin'."

Da portal pops closed and as I slips my Ring back on, I can hear Tzimmy's voice down on da floor. How even her voice kin sound nekkid, I doan know.

Den 'Dan is at da door, and e'ryt'ings gonna be fine. Stupid Nunce shoulda been here by now. [/Guido]

[Elladan]Humming a light Mozart concerto, from our time in Vienna, I Flashed into the hallway outside the Cabaret Ballroom. I know they think me paranoid, but having seed the Pen with pinhead loci jewels when it was constructed pays off at a time like this.

Really I should've just let Tzimfemme deal with the guards, but if Dad was enjoying himself, however little, I knew bloodshed would upset him.

So I rounded the corner and went into combat mode. Everyone slowed into a crawl and I took it all in, from the lines of Tzimfemme's body (she really *was* restraining herself) to the dialated pupils of the Warden on the left, lusting for her to the dialated pupils of the Warden on the right, afraid and falling back on mindless training.

What a waste of space. I was tempted to salt them away and feed them to one of the vampires (perhaps Tzim'?) later, but knew that it would cause waves.

Some times this place is so boring. At least in Terra I'd been able to kill effectively as Dad's General of Armies.

By this time I was up to them all, and let time speed until they saw me. It's always a bit distracting when the voices doppler back up the scale, but I was used to it after all this time. I'd developed the skill to avoid getting blood on my clothes, since the time that idiot had got in my way and then had the gall to spurt blood on my favorite shirt Mom had given me. By the time I'd finished destroying he and anyone who might've seen my shame, I'd almost stopped crying over the shirt. It was nice of Nuncio to work so hard to get the stains out. I rewarded him by not destroying him for touching it, and he thanked me nicely. He's a very Polite pig, I have an almost affection for him. We understand each other, as much as that is possible.

"The Lady," As my sudden appearance startled them into trying to hit me with their silly swords, I repeated it for their minds. Made a point of using small words as I slipped the blades in a Water-flowing move. "The Lady is as far above you as the stars above the heavens." I let their souls see into my eyes for the briefest moment to ensure I had their attention and then turned on the smile. Stun and charm definitely. I was rather proud of myself - I must've judged it just right as neither one fouled their pants.

"Not only is this lady an honored guest and Elder her, as if such beauty ever ages," Tossed the smile to Tzim who ignored it. How anyone could expect to be charming with Orlan around I don't know, "and further, is allowing me to escort her in."

I offered her my arm, making sure she saw it coming. That lady moves like lightning when she wants. She gave them a measuring look, then allowed me to escort her into the Ball room. Her touch was just a feather breath of fingertips but I had all my shields in place just in case.

Made sure to walk slowly so everyone could give her the admiration she deserved, then released her onto them like urging a hawk into flight. I almost shook my head at the admiring glances - the mice had no clue.

I flashed a smile and then set out to mingle until I could get my back to a wall.

Hadn't intended on coming, too big a crowd, but I was here now.[/Elladan]

Rune glanced at herself in the mirror in her room. Her black hair was wound tightly into small nubbins behind each of her horns. She tried awkwardly to tie a set of baby blue ribbons to each one, but being so small it was hard. She stood on her tiptoes to add reach to her arms which logically made no sense, but to her it sure helped. “How’s it look?” she asked, going through the familiar dressing routine. And as always when no response came she assured herself it was grand, because otherwise someone would have said something. Her dress was also blue, but more of a midnight shade. The fabric had been enchanted so that it resembled stars twinkling in the night sky, with an occasional falling star landing on the ground creating a small plinking sound before it extinguished itself. She had on one shoe; having lost the other somewhere and the once elegant knee high socks sagged around her ankles. She stopped every few minutes to bend over and pull them up in typical tom boy fashion revealing a frilly set of knickers.

It was getting late and the ball had already begun so she quickly headed down the stairs. She moved as fast as possible, but remembering the safety lesson Peredhil had given her last week when she got caught spreading jam on the floor to make a slip and slide, she slowed down and tried to be careful. Awkwardly, she held tight to the handrail that for some reason always seemed several inches out of her reach and had to twist her body slightly so that one leg made the decent first followed by her rump and finally the rest of her body. On each step she twisted back around to see where she was going before turning once again and putting all faith in letting her rump lead the way. Her rump, on the other hand, seemed reluctant to lead having always followed in the past.

At the bottom of the stairs she made a mad dash for the kitchen for some pre-ball snacks where she hastily flung open the cabinet. The cabinet’s hinges, being rather old and previously sold to the pen by Wyvern for a “good deal”, had given way many years earlier and as a result the door swung around to hit it’s pair on the other side causing a loud bang followed by a cracking sound.

“Oops!” She gasped, and covered her mouth with her tiny hands.

“What’s going on in there?” came a familiar voice from around the corner. It was one of the Pen’s caretakers who had returned to the kitchen to get some supplies for the caterer.

“Rune, if that’s you and your trying to get into that sugar again..” The voice trailed off and was replaced with approaching footsteps.

Scooping a handful of sugar from the giant bag stored inside the cabinet she sucked on her fingers as she hotfooted it from the room. This time her rump seemed to push her forward as though it feared the spanking more than she did.

She entered the ballroom from the kitchen area to the most fantastic collection of knees she had ever seen. There were so many and so beautifully adorned by skirts and slacks (and in some cases bare or towel-clad.) She walked around quite pleased as she gazed at the wonderful sea of knees.

Spotting Ayshela nearby she beamed and rushed over to say hello.

“Excuse me, Misses Ayshela” she said, tugging on Ayshela’s dress carefully to get her attention. Ayshela beamed a smile at the tiny demon and stooped to greet her face to face. Rune grinned and rocked back and forth on her heals with her hands behind her back. She looked sheepish.

“Thank you for inviting me!” she squeaked. “I have a present for you.”

She reached behind her back and pulled out a small box and presented it to her. Ayshela opened it carefully.

“I tried to make a card” Rune said shyly. “But I don’t write too good, and I only had a purple crayon. That’s why the heart is purple. I used the red one all up.” She rambled on, remembering the graffiti incident. The card itself seemed to tremble slightly in Ayshela’s hand.

“Thank you Rune” the hostess responded. “It’s beautiful”

“Oh and look” the child drew a semi circle in the air that resembled a letter and then touched the card. It burst into a million tiny glowing balls of translucent light that encircled Ayshela and then moved clockwise rapidly before fading. Most of the room turned to watch the beautiful display of lights that illuminated the already gorgeous Ayshela before disappearing. The hostess smiled and grinned at Rune. “Thank you again, I hope you enjoy the party!” she remarked before disappearing into the crowd.

Just as Wren is about to ask Wyvern to dance there is a loud poping sound and then a shower of purple bubbles begint to flaot around the room. Wyvern turns around quickly forgetting to check that there is clear space for his tail The tail whips around and it catches Wren at her ankles. Wren goes flying landing in Regel's with enough force that they both end up on the floor at Peredhil's feet.

"Nice to meet you again !" Wren blushes and giggles "are you ok?"

"I was hoping to get you at arms length again this evening" Regel said with a smile "..but this will do."

Regel lifted WrenWind gently to her feet. The cascade of dark curls against the contrast of her skin was intoxicating. Regel badly need a drink but pushed the thought away. "Well then, would you care to dance with a stranger? It will allow me the opportunity to enjoy your beautiful gown without appearing to be staring."

WrenWind thought about for a moment and they said "Yes, I would like that."

After her small talk with Regel, Celes looks around, looking for a more or less familiar face. While keeping Cambronne in her sights, knowing that he'll probably try to smell the food and maybe eat it if its in his taste. She reaches over the bar and drinks a glass of red wine. Cambronne meows after her again.

- Shhhhhhh... I cannot constantly give my attention to only you.

She kneels next to her cat and strokes his long and strong body. Cambronne responds by arching his back and rubbing his head on her hand.

- Bon chat...

She finally gets up and continues to chat with any random guests.

Caryon scowled at the paper in his hand, as if hoping it would merely fade away into nothingness.

"Fall Ball? What were they thinking, sending me this?"

He mumured something under his breath, trying to remember the last ball he had gone to -

Ihlea was as beautiful and lithe as a wind spirit, gliding effortlessly over the ballroom floor, her feet never seeming to touch the ground. Caryon felt like he was floating, too. They gazed lovingly into each other's eyes as the music soared, the orchestra playing beautifully in the background merely highlighting the mood. He was in heaven as the lights in the hall set off her hair, making it seem like a sunset...

Daydreaming again, Caryon? Caryon shuddered visibly as Yawgmoth's presence touched his mind. Decay, death and corruption flickered through his vision.

Sorry, my lord. he apologized, and felt Yawgmoth chuckle, a sound like gears snapping.

You are still human, you cling to her memory. You must rid yourself of it before you become perfect. I will talk to you later.

The presence retreated, and Caryon was left alone again.

He looked again at the invitation, and smiled suddenly.

"I'll forget about her at the Ball...lose myself in the crowd for a while."

Pushing his goggles up onto his forehead again, he stripped to the waist and washed off the dust and metal flakes from experiments past and present. Running his hands through his rogueish black hair, he smirked and left it alone. Throwing on his good leather vest he walked out, heading towards the ball with the invitation clutched in his hand.

William Azunost scowled at his closet. This accursed fall ball had come up suddenly, and he couldn't think of anything to wear. Sighing, he turned and scowled at the mirror for a while.

The Sword of Roses sat on his bed, immaculate as always, but his traveling clothes weren't exactly of the standard required for a ball.

Sighing, he decided that he'd have to resort to magic. Mentally reaching out he tapped into the manastream and started forming the magic to his requirements.

White dress pants formed into being, the latest style from the last town William had been through, along with an immaculate white shirt and a flowing white cloak that shimmered slightly, interwoven with threads of silver that caught the light oh-so-carefully.

After dressing, he combed his hair back and headed off, muttering about looking nice for the bloody sake of it, the Sword of Roses still on his bed.

DoomGaze was walking behind Zariah when suddenly, butterflies twirled about him. He watched them flutter, then swooping at him, as if trying to get his attention. He paused to see where the butterflies had come from and suddenly his eyes stared at the fallen angel, Annael, who had her eyes fixed on his wings, and then hers.. as if comparing them. He smiled and chuckled at the curious angel.

"Zariah!" DoomGaze called out. She quickly turned around and saw that DoomGaze had been halted by a couple of butterflies.

"It's okay, you can go ahead if you wish, I'll be with Sam if you need me" Zariah said as if she knew what was going on from the start.

DoomGaze nodded and smiled in a thankful way.

He let the butterflies guide him towards his destination. A moment later, he stopped infront of the fallen angel, who was still looking at her wings. When she lifted her head, she was surprised to see that DoomGaze was right there, infront of her. She nervously brushed her black wings.

DoomGaze finally broke the silence between the two and said "You wish to see me?"

She hastily replied with an "Uh huh" as she continued to stare at his wings.

"I'm taking you like my wings? Well it's not everyday you see crimson colored wings now do you" he joked.

She giggled and nodded her head.

"Well, your wings a pretty too," DoomGaze continued, "unless you don't find my wings pretty, but still yours are pretty."

DoomGaze was so nervous, it was the first time in a long time he had ever had contact with an angel, let alone a Fallen one at that. But he maintained his posture and courageously stood there. He wasn't sure if he made any sense to her, because she had not replied to him yet.

"K, I'll stop being an idiot and gawking at you now." Annael winked and held out her hand. "I'm Annael, as you probably know, I'm infamous around here. If it's not for falling outta trees, my butterflies causing mischeif it's for leaving my feathers behind. Come, sit." Annael, brought her knees up under her chin and patted the bench next to her, nervously covering her toes with the sari.

DoomGaze smiled shyly and sat beside Annael. "So...." he started, "you wanted to see me about something?" Annael nodded and pushed a curl behind her ear, unsettling a few butterflies.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt you and Zariah. I just wanted to chat, you know? I just haven't seen many of our kind around...and well...I just miss.....so, how are you enjoying the ball?" Annael struggled shocked that she was experiencing these emotions. It had been so long since she'd felt lonely that it was difficult for her to deal with. She ruffled her feathers restlessly. A black feather fluttered down over her shoulder to land softly on her knee. Annael sighed.

DoomGaze followed the path of the feather and picked it up softly. "These aren't supposed to come out, you know." Annael nodded and lowered her head.

"It's been happening more frequently lately. Gyrfalcon usually lends some assistance, but hasn't had time lately. I've got enough feathers to stuff a pillow now." Annael tried to laugh and failed. "Oh, pooh, enough about that. Come, my fine feathered friend, let's talk of happier things!"

Caryon walked up to the front doors, to see two rather large guards looking rather stunned. Pre-occupied with a thought, he shoved his invitation into the nearest one's hand and walked through the door, suddenly aware of the presence of all the people.

William Azunost saw Caryon walking and wondered silently to himself - He can't honestly be going to the - I suppose he must be. The addendum coming after he saw Caryon walk through the doorway to the great ball. Mentally thanking all of the listening gods that he hadn't seen Cioden yet, William walked up to one of the guards and thrust his invitation at the man, who shook his head as if awakening and took it, staring for a moment at another invitation in his other hand.

"Err, have a nice...party...thing..." the man muttered and shook his head again.

William shrugged and walked in, mentally cursing himself for forgetting his sword.

Wyvern's scaly lower lip trembles as he mutters numerous apologies to Wrenwind, whimpering as she wanders off with Regel for an elegant slowdance... Thoroughly flattered that anyone would offer to dance with a clutz such as himself and very upset at his own lack of tail manners, Wyvern glares angrily at his tail and hisses:

"Ooooh no, you're not ruining the evening for me, not this time... I'll make sure you stay put for the rest of the night!"

With that, the overgrown lizard dashes back towards his cart of scientific beakers, waving as he rushes by the newly-arrived Caryon and briefly coming to a halt as he passes by Annael and DoomGaze. Leaning over and picking up one of the black feathers that had fallen from the beautiful angel's wings, Wyvern taps her on the shoulder and says:

"Hi guys, sorry for interrupting the conversation... I was wondering, Annael, would you mind if I borrowed this feather?"

Annael glances at the black feather curiously, briefly examining it to make sure it has nothing to do with blackmail before nodding an affirmative to the lizard. Bowing and thanking her, the reptilian Elder briefly refills both Annael and DoomGaze's glasses with Bruteweiser booze before heading off towards his cart once again.

Arriving at the scientific cart and cursing under his breath, the lizard begins mixing formulas while glancing down at his tail and growling:

"You'll see... this formula will render you immobile for the rest of the evening. Dare to butt in when a babe like Wrenwind offers me a dance will you? I'll show you..."

Adding in a touch of basilisk eye extract to the mixture and the black fallen angel feather as a final ingredient, Wyvern pours in the vial of Nutrisweet™ he created earlier and takes a small sip of the formula. Immediatly spitting the liquid out due to it's foul taste and gagging to himself, Wyvern is disappointed to find that it doesn't halt his tail but is surprised to find that it has an aftertaste similar to strong dwarven ale...