The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Brute

Brute sat idly at the worn tavern stool that accomodated him on many occasions. Finishing his mug of stout ale, he motioned to the bearkeep for a refill. "Been a hard day, Brute? You've only had two," the rotund barkeep asked, concern for his most steadfast patron etched into his eyes.

"Yup." Brute muttered as he sipped the ale. " You could say that." The pale mage's mind twisted over and over upon the words spoken earlier. A vacant look took up residence within Brute's ebony eyes. To the astonishment of the barkeep, Brute stood and moved away from the table. leaving a near-full mug of ale. Brute took several steps toward the door when he stopped suddenly and clutched his broad chest. Pain wracked his features and produced a grim wail of pain from the mage as something tore within his chest. His powerful, blackened hands tore open his robes to reveal an angry red mark streaking across the alabaster skin of his sternum. With a loud crack, his chest split open and vomited forth a blackened and shattered heart. Brute gasped in pain, his vision swimming dizzily as the organ shattered upon the floor like delicate porcelain, sending black shards around his feet. Moments passed as other patrons watched in sickened awe. Brute's chest was knitting back together of it's own accord, seemingly. The flesh pulled itself back across exposed bone and melded together, leaving only a long, pink scar.

Despite the ordeal, Brute was the first within the tavern to recover his senses. He looked down in dismay at his destroyed and broken heart. "F@#&! Another damned organ gone." The barkeep, now nearly as pale as Brute himself, stammered out, "Br..Brute..Have a strong drink, lad. You..you must be in terrible pain. It'll take the edge off." Brute stopped silently on his way to the door and spoke over his shoulder. " I don't think I have the heart ot enjoy my beloved booze at the moment. Perhaps later." The necromancer left the tavern with a dark and grim look in his eyes.

(ooc: heh. My way of saying today sucked. God, I wish I could just once take my own damned advice and get on with my life.)

Edited by Brute

Thanks for the kind words, you two. I do appreciate them. Just when I thought I had truly rid myself of the emotional turmoil of the recent past, I realized with a short conversation with my ex that I haven't done so entirely. *Sigh* I feel so much like a ship caught in a fierce storm, with only a single beacon to light the way to safety. Responsibilities and an overwhelming love force me to follow the light and struggle against the storm with all my might.

Edited by Brute

Brute~

I don't know you, but I can empathize with your feelings. I admire that you endeavor to move forward. I hope things get better and that every day moves you a little closer to your end goal.

All my smiles,

~Salinye

Taking advantage of everyone's attention on Brute's retreating back, a quiet shadow at a table in the corner slips forward to very carefully sweep the shattered remains of Brute's large heart into a soft scrap of cloth. It's no surprise to her that the fragments radiate warmth despite their dark and shriveled appearance...

Yui-chan ties the corners of the cloth together, carefully sealing it so that not a single tiny speck of the precious treasure can fall out, and stowes the improvised pack in the inner pocket of her cloak. She looks up as the door swings shut behind her friend and smiles a sad little smile, muttering, "I'll just keep this in a safe place until you're ready to feel from it again, Brute-dear."

The Huntress fades back into the shadows, now carrying the most precious bundle she's ever held...

((That says it all, Brute... Do your best and stay strong, friend, and know that you can always reach us if you need us. Don't hesitate.

Much love,

~Yui and Aegon))

Edited by Yui-chan

Leaning back in her chair, Ayshela watches Brute leave. The shuttered look upon her face eases enough to show anyone chancing to glance her way a glimpse of pain and deep sorrow.

"That sounds familiar, somehow." she mutters to herself.

Pulling a small pouch from somewhere under her cloak, she riffles through bits of paper until she finds the one which has been teasing at her memory and reads it slowly.

Darkness swirls around me, holding

me, supporting me as I float upon

its surface. Rising, swelling slowly

around me, it reaches up to crash

upon me in waves, its arms pulling

me quickly to its depths before

releasing me to spiral to the surface.

Blindly striking out for shore once

more, cleaving through the darkness

that holds me when I rest my aching,

weary arms, I swim the gulf of despair.

I aim for where I think, I hope, you still

wander the sandy shore of life awaiting

the day I discover the edge of darkness,

and find the courage to cross it.

"Ahh, yes, that was it." Looking after Brute once more, it occurs to her that he may need a friendly ear at such time as the pain eases enough to allow words.

ooc: such emotional turmoil is difficult, perhaps impossible, to ever truly rid oneself of. Would that it were readily feasible! i know that you don't know me from Eve, but should you find yourself in need of a willing ear - i have two. Should you find yourself in need of a shoulder to cry on - i have broad shoulders, and i'm waterproof. To find those who wish you well - you have merely to look around you. :)

thank you, everyone. I *do* try to maintain a positive attitude and not let show that sometimes I can be something other than the happy-go-lucky drunkard, but it appears I slipped up. I sincerely appreciate all of the encouraging words, and it really helped to improve my demeanor. It's kinda weird to feel a warm fuzzy by reading words of people who've I've never met in person (well, most of you, anyway. ;) ). Weird, but nice. Again, thank you each and every one. It means a lot to me.

Brute happily raises a large flagon full of Bruteweiser and toasts his friends of the Pen.