The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WereWolf IX

Serena starts in surprise at feeling a friendly touch to her arm. Turning her head she looked at Amanda in surprise. Feeling a light blush creep into her face to have stumbled and to have her emotions so readable, she calmly smiles. "Yes, I'm fine...just...wondering if I should have come."

Amanda wasn't quite sure what to say to that, but Serena erased her need to respond by introducing herself. "I'm...I'm Serena Nightingale. You probably don't recognize me without my headgear and glasses. I was the school newspaper and year book editor."

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Markus' head pops up at the mention of a card game. He always was quite the gambler. He stands up and looks over to Amanda, who's got her hands full with her new friend. After smiling at her, and nodding, he walks over to the table where the poker game's happening.

"I'll play, deal me in."

This should be easy.....

"I'm...I'm Serena Nightingale. You probably don't recognize me without my headgear and glasses. I was the school newspaper and year book editor."

Amanda cocks her head slightly, a bit puzzed. "Oh... yes, maybe... though I really don't think I know what you're talking about... " She laughs softly, smiling again. "But you must be proud of your work, Serena. It looks like you are a known person, so why being in doubt about coming here? I think Markus and I have less reason to have been invited than you."

And no need to drink to have the courage to come, as it seems to be your case... that mynx of sister I have would have done that for the fun of it, but you don't look like one to do that for fun.

Markus catches Amanda's eye before she can comment anything else to Serena, and she nods and smiles to him.

"Markus does like poker... " murmurs her, shaking her head lightly.

"Don't you trust him to win, Amanda?" asks Shana, following him with her eyes.

"Oh, I do, Shana... but this is a new place with new players. I'm not used to them as I am to his friends." She turns to both girls. "Serena, this is Shana... we have just meet also, and we were thinking of strolling around a bit. Would you like to join us?"

Well, what am I doing now? I'm back to being my father's daughter, making sure people I don't know feel comfortable in one of his dancing parties...

She gets a bit distracted by memories, and loses the next few lines of conversation between Shana and Serena. Then, she notices them waiting for some answer from her.

"Oh... no, we live in a ranch in Oregon... it's quite a wild place, I fear."

Edited by Tanuchan

Elizabeth was delighted that Markus joigned in the fun. She quickly analyzes his behavior and notices that she have a confident player in front of her. If he's as challenging as he is self-confident then a nice challenge is ahead of her.

- Welcome! While we are waiting for other players to manifest themselves, allowed me to introduce myself; I am Lady Elizabeth Christie, I'm a proeminent social figure where I'm from but I do enjoy being incognito here. This gentleman besides me is Lord Washima.

While the Brit takes a sip out of her glass of fine liquor, Markus decides that it's his turn to introduce himself.

- I'm Markus Black. I maybe don't have your social status but I'm pretty sure that I'll be up to your expectations.

Elizabeth puts down her glass and smirks.

- I hope so, because I'm pretty tired looking for excellent poker players in England.

- I didn't knew that drinking in public was frowned upon.

"Drinking, no.

"Not being able to control oneself in public, yes."

So, do you fancy a game of poker?

He follows her to the inncopied table, searching the folds, pockets, etc of his clothing for a moment.

"I am sorry. I have nothing to bet with except my clothing.

(OOC: :D Could have resisted. Decided not to)

IC:

"I find your skill with cards amazing. I shall watch and be amazed."

He does find this woman charming, he hands light and skillful. She is deft enough to play, watch the other players, while still paying some attention to him.

He knew he would be hard pressed to the same in a similiar situation.

He looks over Markus and sees a rough gentleman, not an aristocrat, but with a gentility.

He wonders how the dog like Kami would play.

(Hey, Wile E. Come on down.)

OOC:

Gawdz, Lady Celes Crusader, I hope you're not the wolf. It's going to be real hard to vote against you.

Ah well, one of the problems with the modern RP WW game.

Good hunting, everyone.

George looked around, knowing no one, but then he saw the poker game. He smiled, these people clearly had money if they were playing poker. These would be good connections to make. He strolled over. "May I join you all?"

Elizabeth looked up to George and smiles at him when he asked if he could join.

- Off course you can, now that we're three players, we can start to play.

She shuffles the deck and makes both Markus and George cut the deck. Then she passes the five first cards. While Lord Washima is quizically looking over the game, all three gamblers are looking at their hand with care. She then explains the basics of the rules.

- Well, the goal of the game is to either having the best hand or being able to bluff your way into winning. Ideally, both.

- The best hand?

- You'll see as the game will get going. Now, all player chooses to discard any card from it or not. If they do discard, let's say two cards, these two cards will be replaced by two other cards. Then, it's time for the wagers to go on and the one who have the better hand or is the best poker face will win the wager.

Lord Washima looks at the Brit with a puzzled look. Elizabeth laughs while she throws away some unwanted cards and distribute the new cards.

- Watch and learn. replies cooly the gmabler lady

(OOC: Vahktang, I too hope you wont be a wolf as well. ;) )

Serena smiled between Amanda and Shana relaxing a bit. "I would enjoy walking with you, two. See, the man who invited me was from highschool, I thought perhaps it was some sort of reunion. Those things terrify me."

She gave the two of them a sheepish apologetic grin and tried to smooth some of the kinks out of her updo. "Well, perhaps we should go watch the poker game, then you could root on your husband AND keep an eye on your bank account." She glanced over her shoulder to the few people gathering around a table to play cards.

~Salinye :fairy:

Amanda giggles softly, and nods.

"I don't think I need to keep an eye on our bank account, as Markus is pretty able to do it sensibly... but I would like to support him."

I just hope he doesn't mind... I usually leave him with his friends when they're playing.

"I suppose you do know how to play?" asks Serena

"I know the rules, as my husband explained them to me and even played with my sister and I... but he was really humoring us both, as we are terrible players." She smiles at her memories. "I can bluff nicely but I have terrible luck with the cards... while Markus can see through any bluff of mine."

They walk towards the poker table, talking quietly.

"And... forgive me for asking, but why a school reunion would terrify you?"

MODDING POST

(Please read the OOC thread - I mean, the sign-up post)

The party goes on, guests starting to find friends or make new acquaintances. Wetherby, overseeing the waiters and also the kitchen, nods in approval observing the guests talking and mingling.

Lord Kinjiru will be satisfied. Everything is running smoothly. This party will be...

A loud, piercing scream interrupts Wetherby's musing, and as everybody turns a young maid enters in tears.

"He's dead... dead... God help us..."

Wetherby instantly grabs the girl, making her sit down and silencing her.

"What are you talking about, Brenda?" hisses him, annoyed. "Who's..."

"That guy... Mr. Milhouse!" Brenda screams, panicked, and no amount of soothing from Wetherby makes her lower her voice. "I was going to clean the restroom... he's there... sprawled... blood... oh, blood everywhere..."

There's a sudden silence in the room.

Loud steps are heard, and Wetherby raises his head to meet Kinjiru's eyes. The ninja lord glares around the room, his voice hard.

"I am sorry for this unfortunate interruption. But Mr. Albert Milhouse has been found dead... his throat has been slashed open. As all doors to this house have been locked at 6 o'clock, I'm afraid that I have to look for the assassin among you."

An imperious gesture cuts the protests.

"I'm honor-bound to protect my guests. One of them has been killed. The house is locked and will remain so until the murderer has been found. The party will continue, and you are still my honored guests... however, I will ask that nobody tries to leave."

OOC

It's day phase. You have 48 hours from this time stamp to accuse and try to find the murderer.

If there's any doubt, please PM me until MTYFoolish is able to reassume the modding of the game :)

Edited by Tanuchan

The Suspects...

Lady Celes Crusader- Elisabeth Christie, well-known socialite (WWIII)

Vahktang- Lord Washima, Strong head of the Washima Clan (WWII)

DeanTheAdequate- Dr. Van Muncie (WWI)

Katzaniel- Jaqui, Blind and somewhat bitter young adult (WWVI)

Eyremon- Wile E. Coyote (WWVII)

Merelas- Walter Morrison, nerdy High-school kid (WWVI)

Degenero Angelus- Markus Black, Gentle gang member from the old west (WWV)

Tanuchan- Amanda Black, née Tannison - Markus' wife (WWV)

Ayshela- Shana, randomly bubbly teenager from high school setting

Gwaihir- George, a merchant

Salinye - Serena, ex-high school nerdy type

Xanthus- ?

NPC- Elwen- Hisoka Kyodai, geisha (WWII)

NPC/mod- MeThinksUFoolish- (Any of my old characters I feel like using)

The Victims

Albert E. Milhouse - NPC, high school kid from WW IV, first kill

~~~~~~

Edit: typos

Edited by Tanuchan

Lord Washima hears the news and sighs.

It seems that this is his Karma on the wheel.

To be involved in a murder investigation.

He hopes and that this one has a better outcome than the last.

He turns to the assembled around the table, bowing slightly.

He knows he is not a public speaker, but he tries anyway.

"Ladies, gentlemen.

"It is unseemly that this gathering be marred by violence.

"It is my hope that the tragedy that has occured is the only violence that does occur.

He clears his throat.

"There is one here who is rife with violence. One who lives it, breathes it, is overcome by it.

"I speak of course of the kami, known as Wile E. Coyote.

"I believe that he is capable of such acts, and we must defend ourselves against him.

"And I believe it was Sun-Tzu who said: 'The best defence is a good offence.'

"Come quietly, kami. I mean you no real harm. The harm you do was your nature.

Do not make me unseath my sword.

OOC: I accuse Eyremon- Wile E. Cyote (WWVII)

Edited by Vahktang

Serena gasps horrified by the news. The news instantly sobered her. She put a shaky hand to her mouth as the host gave his speech. Hearing his accusation, she followed everyone's stare to this Wile E. Coyote person that he spoke of, waiting to hear what he had to say for himself.

OOC: I'll vote, just not ready to accuse yet. :0)

~Salinye :fairy:

Murder... Assassin... Elizabeth hoped never hear these words again. These word that dragged her in the bloodiest, evilest of all scandals she ever survived. Shortly after her husband's death, she sold her mansion and moved into another one, nearer to London because she couldn't bear the atrocious sights and pity the surviving villagers had for her.

She remembers the letters she first wrote to her husband and then read to him on his death bed, making him crying. She remembers all the attention that had been focus on her and on the Hortons. She remembers Katharine slumped on her son's body in tears, asking him why. She remembers Sherlock Holmes' stern pose, Dr Watson's attention and Lestrade's haste. Then, a series of image defiled before her.

Katharine: "I don't care what kind of scandal they think they're avoiding, it's not worth it!"

Elizabeth:"I'm sure that nobody wants to end up as the actors of a pretty grim scandal."

Emily: "Too late... it's quick, and painless... you won't have anything..."

Wil: "Iff'n ya wants me I'll be waiting fer yez atop the north tower."

Katharine: "Marcus. Marcus, you have always been the joy of my life, helping me when I need it."

Edwin: "What d'ya want, Lizzie? Need to finally spill dirt on anyone? Or unless you need to meet a real man..."

Elisabeth: "While you can reproach me many unladylike doings, murder will never be one of them."

Markus: "Do with me as you will, but I swear, if my mother comes to any harm, I will move Heaven and Earth to destroy you."

Elisabeth: If she chooses so, do yourself a favor and prove me once for all that the "Werewolves" are not cowards by killing me right here."

Katharine: "Marcus, why?"

Markus: "Ignore the criticism and stand tall."

- Elisabeth! Elisabeth!

The Brit is startled by Lord Washima call. She had dropped her cards on the table and her hands are pressed into hard fists that her knuckles are turning white. Elisabeth cheecks are now flushed in embarrassement.

- Are you ok?, a worried Markus asks

Elisabeth is about to lost it and knows it, however, she controls herself muttering what she have on her heart on a shattered tone.

- Not... this... again...

Amanda pales visibly, scenes of years ago coming back to her mind. The Oregon Trail, claiming lives... jumbling her own life until she didn't know what to do with her mind... the last shootout, Cartwright's family lost forever, her first husband dying in her arms. Her tears, for a life of relative innocense that she lost on that caravan. Her broken heart, who needed to survive the horrors of murders to be able to be happy again.

She hears dimly a voice calling Elisabeth, then another, familiar voice... Markus?

She looks sharply at her husband, who leans towards the British lady with a worried look, not having noticed yet his wife's presence.

Serena grabs Amanda's arm, calling her attention to the coyote and the Japanese lord's words.

"A coyote... a wild animal... " mutters Amanda, frowning. Experience tells her that it could be possible... but would it be that obvious?

Markus... please, I need you... not again, not again...

OOC: no accusation yet

Edited by Tanuchan

:huh:

:lol: U :ph34r::lol:

:angry::wolf::rolleyes:

:lol:

Upon hearing his accusation Wile E. Coyote steps forward out of the crowd wearing a white flowery komono, his disguise to get past the man with no name worked, only to be "outted by Lord Washima. The accusation is laughable, yet Wile E. is angry at being thought of as a mere preditor. The assembled crowd is starting to turn on the innocent coyote. All of a sudden there is a commotion outside.

Foghorn Leghorn comes into the room carrying blueprints and plans and charts. "Now wait here boys, I said no hold on a minute. What I have here is irrufitable evidence, and character summeries of my good client Wile E. Coyote." Every one of his charts and plans shows an image of a bird or hamster with some manner of catching him involved, usually a large weight.

"Now you look see here in these home movies Wile E. has yet to catch his quarry. infact his quarry has usually injured Mr. Coyote quite greviously. Now I am not much of a city I said city schooled lawyer. I am just a rooster is said a rooster boy. Now what i do know hear me now what i know is that Lord Washima has slandered the good name of my client, and that my client requests no i mean demands satisfaction. My client would like to see Lord Washima work so dilligently for his meal, when even the fates conspire against, I said against your every move."

With that suggestions Wile E. Jumps up and down :P

He then gives Lord Washima the number to Acme Goods and Delivery Service so that Lord Washima can attempt what Wile E. does to get his meal.

Edited by Eyremon

The plump merchant-investor stares at the maid, rubs his eyes and then stares again. "It can't be! Murders don't just happen! This is horrible. I just came to get to know people, this was supposed to all be simple. I don't understand." His face looks preturnaturally pale and quickly the man reaches for his drink to steady himself.

OOC:No vote yet.

Hisoka stands very straight in her dark violet and silver kimono embroidered with crescent moons, showing no outward emotion.

"Oh, gods have mercy..." she whispers.

~I always wanted to die in the spring...~ the echo of her own thoughts at the moment of her death comes back to her.

I'm sorry...

Last words, so far away, in another lifetime...words of failure, of an awakening yumeni who knew too late the shadows in souls. The true shadows.

Not again, not again...she had a faint feeling, with the prescience that came with the Gift that had somewhat awakened at the moment of her death, that everyone here, or most people, had been in a similar situation.

But she was not Shizuka-chan, her twin. She...did not have the power to see through souls to what lay beneath...her magic had never awakened fully like his had. Her Gift had awakened only partially, and Hisoka knew only another Dreamgazer, another Seer, could interpret her visions correctly...and had the suspicion only her twin could reach her.

But she could not speak, now. Not this time, not this life, not trapped in this cursed spiral of life-that-was-not-life. It was her purpose only to observe...and Remember.

"The most surprising people are sometimes capable of violence." Jaqui's voice cut across the room like a hot knife through soft butter.

Almost everyone in the room had had experience with violence or killing in the past, and those who were not already recalling those events began to think on them. Especially to think back on who had turned out to be the culprit.

In her own case, it had a been a highly Christian kid along with the star of the school. Probably the two least likely, had you not known them intimately.

"I've been listening carefully to all of you, and the one who seems to have the most to hide is this Mrs. Black. She acts kindly to everyone, but her words have an undertone. It's something I have not heard since I was pushed down the stairs by the most-loved kid in high school, many years ago. I tell you, Amanda Black is after something from us."

OOC: Sorry Tanny ;) My vote is for Tanuchan - Amanda Black

OOC: Modding Post

Quick tally

Wile E. Coyote - 1 vote

Amanda Black - 1 vote

You still have about 24 hours to vote. In the event MTYF isn't able to resume modding, I remind you that I use to lynch whoever has the most votes at the end of day phase... and that dice can be used to break a tie ;)

~~~~

Edit: typo

Edited by Tanuchan

Shana looked around anxiously, wondering who among them could have done such a thing - yet knowing no outsider could have.

No outsider - now that was a thought.

"How could Wile E. have killed anyone, when he hadn't arrived yet?" She asked. Then she thought again, "Oh, but we don't know *when* this was done, do we? Who.. who would have had opportunity? Or who could bluff well enough to have done this?"

She turns slowly and looks speculatively at the poker players.

OOC: pondering, no vote yet

Hisoka walks forward slowly, her eyes scanning the room. While she may be bound to silence on passing judgment, she still wants to have an idea...

Who could it possibly be? Who could be the murderer?

While outwardly, her beautiful face remains impassive, the young geisha can already feel the familiar tendrils of helplessness begin to claw through her. THis had to be stopped. It had to be stopped, now, before it was too late.

But where, who, why?

Silently, she takes a seat at the poker table. This seemed to be a good place to start...

Walter gasped, then looked around him. One of them was a murderer... and he didn't have the slightest idea who.

"Well... Jaqui always did have a knack for seeing things that other people didn't... even though she is blind. I guess I'll stand by her.

I vote for Amanda Black as well."

Elisabeth manages to control her breathing she closes her and remembers of Katharine Horton's logic. The very same logic that allowed her to pinpoint one of the murderers and sending her son to his own demise.

- The victim, wasn't he one of these "high school" lively people?

Jacqui answers to the Brit's question, then the lady continues.

- Either the murderer is one of his former classmate, either he or she is trying to pull off a diversion. From my experience, it had been both. I see over many of you the expression of people who are reliving this nightmare again.

Elisabeth wipes a tear away, knowing how unbearable the former experience was.

- I honestly don't know who did it but I know from experience that silence leads to nothing. However, I still need to ponder a bit more before accusing anyone.

With closed eyes, Amanda half-listens to the murmurs, barely aware that she's being suspected. Her hands grip the back of Markus' chair, and she forces herself to breath camly.

Amanda Tannison Black, you are *not* a pampered lady to lose your grip on yourself. The Oregon Trail is past. My past also died in that trail, but not my strength.

One of her hands moves by itself, to rest lightly on her husband's strong shoulder.

This is a nightmare... why doesn't Markus say anything?

Slowly, determination wins over confusion, and she scowls at herself. Nightmare, yes. But no excuse to behave like a frightened child.

Finally regaining control, she opens her eyes. They glint with supressed anger, but no one would guess at what - at herself, or the situation.

Edited by Tanuchan