The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WereWolf IX

The next morning, Walter wanders out into the common room and sits in the same corner by himself again. In the night, he had decided that he wouldn't take any chances, and had armed himself with a letter opener that he had found in his room in the desk. It had a sound blade, and during the night he had sharpened it effectively. With a few chemicals he had stolen from the bathroom, he had concocted a homemade poison that he rememebered from his studies in medical school. Having applied the poison to the blade, he then wrapped it sheathed it in kleenex.

The next morning, he placed the weapon carefully up his sleeve, and went out to join the rest of the party... although this had to be the least fun he'd ever had at one, including all four of his high-school proms.

He quickly got some breakfast and began to eat from his corner chair.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did so many people successfully know who the wolf was? The entire situation boggled Serena's mind. Amanda admitting she had killed before, and now her husband was guilty of the same crime. She shook her head. Well, she would be sure to keep a more watchful eye. What were they seeing that let them know? Sitting down for breakfast, she waited at the same table she and Shana had eaten at the day before.

~Salinye :fairy:

Many tired faces are seen at breakfast, showing clearly that the night hasn't been restful. Amanda is nowhere to be seen and, answering some questions from Elisabeth, Wetherby replies quietly, "She's with her husband. Mr. Black is weak and still recovering from his ordeal, and she refuses to leave him. You don't need to worry, Mrs. Christie. Lord Kinjiru has seen them, and also Mr. Javier, about fifteen minutes ago. Their rooms are in the far wing of the house."

Elisabeth breathes a bit more freely, finding some respite in the fact that the locked people are apparently well.

Serena looks around, becoming restless as Shana does not appear for breakfast.

"Jaqui?" calls her in a whisper, "Jaqui, have you se... ehm... heard anything about Shana?"

"Shana?" Jaqui's blind eyes turn to Serena's direction. "No... who else is missing, Serena?"

"Heh... the man who tried to shoot Mr. Black yesterday... the odd one..."

Both remain quiet for some seconds, then Jaqui calls Wetherby. The butler frowns and leaves, signaling two guards to follow him.

Wetherby knocks awaken Van Muncie, who grumbles in answer. "Yes, yes, I'm alive and well. Can't a man rest after having been wounded by the mate of a wolf?" He opens the door a crack, and the butler just nods, satisfied.

"We were worried, dr. Muncie. Don't forget that we still have one werewolf prowling, according to my lord Kinjiru."

Leaving Van Muncie muttering, Wetherby knocks at the last door of that wing. "Miss Shana?"

Several knocks later, Wetherby has the guards break the door open. He steps in carefully, then goes to the bed where Shana seems to be sleeping.

"Miss Shana, it's breakfast... " He draws a sharp breath noticing a dark stain in the bedclothes. He turns the girl, who stares emptly at him, her throat nicely slit open.

OOC: Shana/Ayshela was the Seer. It's day phase, story-wise going from breakfast until mid-afternoon. You have 48 hours to post your accusations. Good hunting!

~~~~

Edit: typos and formatting

Edited by Tanuchan

The Suspects...

Lady Celes Crusader- Elisabeth Christie, well-known socialite (WWIII)

Vahktang- Lord Washima, Strong head of the Washima Clan (WWII)

DeanTheAdequate- Dr. Van Muncie (WWI)

Katzaniel- Jaqui, Blind and somewhat bitter young adult (WWVI)

Eyremon- Wile E. Coyote (WWVII)

Merelas- Walter Morrison, nerdy High-school kid (WWVI)

Gwaihir- George, a merchant

Salinye - Serena, ex-high school nerdy type

NPC- Elwen- Hisoka Kyodai, geisha (WWII)

NPC/mod- MeThinksUFoolish- (Any of my old characters I feel like using)

NPC/mod- Tanuchan - Amanda Black

The Victims

Albert E. Milhouse - NPC, high school kid from WW IV, NPC kill

Terauchi Eiji - NPC, Japanese minor lord from WW II, NPC kill

Tanuchan- Amanda Black - innocent

Xanthus- Javier - innocent

Degenero Angelus- Markus Black - wolf

Ayshela- Shana - Seer

~~~~~~

Edit: formatting

Edited by Tanuchan

The banquet hall falls silent as Wetherby walks into it, his face ashen. "I...I'm sorry to inform you of this." He starts out in a reserved voice. "Lady Shana has been found dead within her quarters." Audible gasps are heard from around the room as this newest horror is absorbed. Serena sat dumbfounded for a few minutes before crumpling her head into her arms on the table. She sobbed for her new friend. If anyone stood nearby, they would have heard her mumbling, "We were supposed to start sharing rooms tonight....if only we had started last night.....perhaps I could have helped her...stopped it...If only....Monster...."

Edited by Salinye

Elisabeth gasps when she learned about Shana's death.

- What a disastrous faith she met!

Von Muncie looks at the Brit.

- It's not only her faith that is disastrous, Mrs Christie, she was also the only one who could have found out who infected Mr. Black.

- You mean she had the gift of the Second Sight?

- Yes and she didn't told of anyone she had seen.

Elisabeth looks at Von Muncie in shocked before recollecting herself. Now, she must think of another suspect

Upon hearing of Shana's death, Jaqui is visibly shaken. She spends a few minutes in silent prayer, while others collect themselves and react in their own ways. Finally, she stands up and finds her way to the head of the hall. She thanks Wetherby and then coughs to gather attention.

"I have something difficult to tell you all. Please, do not interupt me until I have finished..."

Jaqui looks into the blackness of what she cannot see, glad for not the first time of her blindness. Sometimes, it is good to not know things. She imagines everyone looking angrily up at her, she imagines them in disbelief after her confession, but then she imagines them calm, and she finds the strength to continue.

"I feel that in a small way, I share the guilt for Shana's death." Varied gasps are heard, but Jaqui keeps on. "I have the ability to protect you all, and I did not. Last night, I decided to protect only myself, and as a result, Shana is dead. However, I did this for what I see to be good reason. If I had tried to protect you all, I myself would be at risk, and I have the information that can end this all for us, today. I let one of you die so that more would not follow."

Whispers echoed through the hall, and Jaqui's excellent hearing picked up surprise and doubt, but not anger. She breathed a sigh of relief.

"Twice since the first death, I have put wolfsbane on one of your doors. Twice has a murder been averted. Twice may not be enough to convince every one of you but twice is enough to convince me, enough to put myself forward, at risk and for your scrutiny. Either that door was the door of a wolf, unable to pass and unable to kill, or it was twice the door of the intended victim. I myself am certain of this person's guilt, as certain as I am of my own small share of guilt. I do not regret waiting to tell you all, for if we had detained her sooner, I would not have had a lead to finding her partner, and I would not have been able to protect you all each night. I risked myself twice to protect each of you, and yesterday I risked myself again by trying to become friends with the werewolf, in order to learn more. What I regret is my inability to risk myself last night to save Shana. However, I am alive right now to tell you this, and that may well be the most important thing of all. The second killer, among us at this very moment, is Serena."

Edit, OOC: Oh, yeah! Voting for Salinye / Serena

Edited by Katzaniel

Wile E. Coyote walks in wearing his CSI jacket [Dat Dumb (again think law and order)} Wile is carrying a black satchel case and wearing latex gloves over his feet, hands, nose and ears. He starts roping off the table where the bacon, ham, and sausage is Police CRIME SCENE tape. After he successfully ropes of the area, he then produces a container of Gallon Zip Lock bags. carefully using tongs Wile E. Coyote bags each piece of meat on the table into individual bags. Wile E. then leaves the crime scene with the "evidence" going to a makeshift lab he set up in the spare bathroom on the 3rd floor of the east wing of the manor. Wile E. then examines each and every peice of ham, bacon, and sausage under an ACME Portable Electron microscope. He is searching for evidence. After finding some fingerprints on a piece of bacon Wile E. has what he needs. Wile then goes to his ACME home newspaper kit to print out his findings.

HEADLINE: Serena, a nerd in high school, has been caught with irrefutable evidence that she.... PUT BACON BACK AFTER PICKING IT UP. Trace fingerprints were found on the pork product in question, detective runner is on record as saying "beep beep :P:P" before he was called off on another breaking case in Cabot Cove, Maine where an unnamed tourist died traveling to a hotel. A unnamed witness has come forward saying, "I thawth I Thaw her puthin it back. I did I did I did see her puthin it back." Detective Coyote goes on to say, "If this poor misled girl can put bacon back on the breakfast tray what else is she capible of? What would the health department say? What would your grandmother say." Well we here at ACME news found what her grandmother would say. Ethal Waterford the maternal grandmother of Serena would say, "Don't take food you don't plan on eating. People are starving and you shouldn't throw food away. That food costs money you know." There was several more examples of generational advice given and ACME news has taken the liberity to compile it all into a single volume, Elderly Advice, edited by Nick O'thyme. Availible on Amazon and whereever fine books are sold.

OOC. Accusing Serana

Edited by Eyremon

Elisabeth listened intently to what Jaqui said and reminds herself of what happened in the Garnavon Hall case. She doesn't have much of a choice but to gamble it all, like she did in past.

- Jaqui, I am willing to trust your words. However, if events showed that you lied to us all, be sure that you'll be the next one to be locked up.

OOC: A vote against Salinye/Serena

Jaqui suddenly looks very old. "I have not lied to you about what I know, Ms. Christie. If I am somehow wrong in my conclusions, I hope that we will not waste time in locking me up, but if that is your choice, I am willing to accept it. For now, what is important is protecting ourselves from Serena. Is there no one else who is willing to support me?"

Serena lifts her head from the table as she hears Jaqui's speech. Rising shakily from the table as everyone turns to face her, she spoke in a voice that trembled slightly. "I admire your gifts of protection, and thank you doubly for your attempts to protect me. It perhaps is the only reason I'm alive. I'm sorry that it also could incriminate me. I can see why it could look bad, but I assure you, you are wrong. I think if someone tried to kill me, not once, but twice, and found me protected, they probably moved on to another victim. If you would like to have me shackled, I can't stop you, nor blame you, as one of us here *is* guilty. However, there are so few of us, and if we vote wrong, then another will die. Frankly, if the killer has been so intent upon killing me, perhaps being locked up *IS* the safest place. Please, let's find the actual killer, yes?" She looks around the room imploringly with fear in her eyes feeling as if she didn't have a friend in the world.

Jaqui reaches out to Serena, fumbling, trying to hold her hands. "I want to be wrong. It's important that you know, I want you to be innocent. You seem like exactly the sort of person that I wish I'd met sooner, exactly the sort of person that I could be friends with. I also emphathize with your desire that we not waste time incriminating an innocent, since I will probably be next if I am wrong. But you understand, don't you, that we can't do anything else at this point?"

Jaqui hangs her head, a look of supreme sadness on her face. "If it really is you who committed these murders, and the odds in my mind are extraordinarily low that the attacker would be so adamant against the same person twice, and so early on... if I'm right, we could put a stop to it here and now. All we have to do is lock you up. And, like you said, you're safer there anyway... now that I can't protect you any more."

Serena sits down shaking her head in frustration. This is ridiculous, locking an innocent person away in hopes of finding a killer. I can understand why I might look suspicious, considering what you've told us, but I implore you all to reconsider your vote! Why not allow me my freedoms for 24 more hours to prove myself. If we don't catch the killer in that time, then you're free to take me if you still think I'm it. But I *KNOW* one of you is the killer and you're misleading people! Perhaps we could have Jaqui bane my room again, tonight. If there is no kill, then you will know she is right! If there is a kill (which there is likely to be anyway, since you're about to lock an innocent person away!) then at the very least you will have narrowed it down.

What about that gentlemen in the corner? He's been rather reclusive, refusing to socialize with anyone. He's been very nervous, constantly sucking on his inhaler. I don't know who he is, and hate to point an uneducated finger, as I have no idea how to identify a killer. I only know it's not me and you're making a grave error. Why not try things this way? Error on the side of caution. At least this way we'de have a chance of actually capturing the killer rather then locking away an innocent!

OOC: I vote Mereles' character Walter

Edited by Salinye

"If only that would work," Jaqui sighed. "You should know as well as any of us that the killer would lie low for a day, and you would be implicated tomorrow. Thus the second werewolf, whether you or someone else, would simply be one kill closer to getting us all."

In all the confusion Ms. Serena could be the wolf.

Hunting for the b******* is trying work on the soul. Decisions like these have to be made, and we will all pay the price in our own hearts.

I'm sorry Ms. Serena, but I will have to go with the consensus on this one. Heaven help me if I'm wrong.

*Van Muncie drags out a length of rope. Normal looking, but silvery threads can be seen in the morning light.*

OOC: Salinye/Serena

Serena slowly backs away from the accusing glares, or at least tries to. But a surprisingly strong hand grasps her wrist, keeping her in the room.

"I'm realy sorry, Serena. But I believe Lork Kinjiru would like to talk to you, and if you are innocent you don't have anything to be afraid of."

Serena stares at Jaqui's blind eyes and yanks herself free, almost causing Jaqui to fall.

"Of course, the blind girl who's snobbish enough to attack someone who can get where she cannot... " Serena's voice is suddenly sarcastic. "You're a fool. All of you." She looks around her defiantly. "You see, you all despised me... no, you still despise me, laugh behind my back, thinking how weird I am and that I should really have more normal friends... Because I can't stand your silly laughs and look at the boys like you do, or because I can understand what Mrs. Hunter says and you can't because you don't know from which end to start reading a book on Biology..."

Serena's shrill laugh sends shivers up many backs while she keeps rambling with her feverish eyes on the other guests. Lord Washima fingers his katana nervously, for an instant considering if his honor allows him to attack a young unarmed madwoman.

Walter suddenly notices a shadow near the corner, and blinks in surprise. Kinjiru nods silently to him, and soon blurs away into another shadowed place, nearer to his target.

"You... all of you condemned my chosen mate." Serena's eyes catch Van Muncie's, and she snarls at him. "And YOU dared trying to kill him."

She lunges at him. Lord Washima draws his katana in an Iatsu stroke as her shape blurs and re-forms as a grey wolf, the katana missing her head for fractions of an inch.

A blur of black hits Serena's side with enough force to drive her away from Van Muncie, and the surprised guests see a black, bigger wolf bare his fangs at her. Golden eyes full of power stare at the smaller, maddened wolf, and for a moment she seems to hesitate. In that instant, Walter throws his poisoned letter opener, and Serena turns to him.

The black wolf attacks, aiming for her neck. She twists away and the black wolf suddenly grows into a werewolf in hybrid form, turning to pin down his opponent. Serena also changes to hybrid form, and both lock into fighting.

Three silvered sharp-pointed shurikens dig into the smaller wolf's back, and Serena howls in pain. One more in her neck makes her fall to the ground, shape blurring undecidedly between wolf and woman.

Elisabeth looks at the twin geishas, Takako and Teruko, at opposite corners in the room, with admiring eyes. In their hands, silvery glinting reveal more sharp weapons.

"I'm sorry, Serena-san. But this is needed for a while until your mind clears." The black werewolf form blurs, and Lord Kinjiru kneels besides Serena under the stares of stunned guests. He clasps a silver chain around Serena's neck before pulling out the shurikens, and her shape finally settles into a whimpering wolf.

The ninja lord turns to his guests.

"The chain was blessed and will keep her controled for a while. I will take care of her, as I had intended from the beginning. You were all invited to this party because I knew there was a born shapechanger among you. I needed to find her," he nods at Serena, "before the madness took her completely away and she started a killing frenzy. Now she will have guidance."

He turns to Jaqui. "Thanks for your help, Jaqui-san. My trust in your skills was well placed, and you used wisely the wolfsbane. I grieve for Shana-san, for I wasn't aware of her Seer skills... I would have had someone protect her."

He waves to his guards, who take the wolf away, and leaves with a deep bow.

OOC: Serena/Salinye was a wolf. Congratulations to the villagers! :)

Final tally:

Serena => 6 votes (Vahktang PMd me tying his vote to Lady Celes', as he's out of town and without internet access)

Walter => 1 vote

Other information...

1st night: Kill = Vahktang / Seen = Vahktang / Baned = Salinye (so, no kill)

2nd night: Kill = Lady Celes / Seen = Deggy / Baned = Salinye (another no-kill night)

3rd night: Kill = Ayshela / Seen = Salinye / Baned = Katz (Seer killed)

The story

* Lord Kinjiru was a werewolf in WW II, so I kept it.

* Serena's changes started late, at the time she left HS. That made her quite insane, and she thinks everybody still looks at her as a nerdy high-schooler; so she decided to get revenge on them all.

* I was unwilling to kill any of the characters from previous stories that were actually being played again, so I just let the wolves get caught. Sorry for Ayshela's character - I should have kept her badly hurt but alive, but I guess I wasn't thinking very well when I wrote that part.

Some questions...

* I ruled, in this specific game, that a wolf baned meant no kill (even if there were two wolves) unless the wolves had chosen the Baner as victim. Do you think it favors too much the villagers? Have in mind, please, that not all Baners are as active as Katz was.

* I tried once using a rule saying "if two wolves, and one baned, there's 50% chance of no-kill". Would that be better (meaning, more balanced) than a 100% no-kill?

* I ruled also that Baner/Seer couldn't reveal their roles OOC. Would it be interesting telling them not to reveal IC either? Would that favor the wolves?

The mod has always been free to choose which set of rules best fits his/her game, so these questions are intended just to discuss the general idea a bit... thanks :)

The thread is now open for comments...

Edited by Tanuchan