The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

a little bit of wisdom

whynotsin

any red dwarf fans are likely to know that a double of yourself is not a wise idea ;)

Hrm, I think there's a chance that a clone of you would not have the same personality. for what ever reasons: soul, brain patterns or numerous other reasons that I'm not clued up on

Still... I'd be creeped out about the body part thing (think Thing from Adam's family) but i see nothing ethically wrong with it myself. be interesting to see how it all pans out.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I agree with Hopper to a degree, but I take it further. You are a collection of thoughts, ideas, and past experiences. Your clone would not have exactly the same thoughts, ideas, or experiences, therefore it would be a completely different person.

very true..... UNLESS! You could somehow awaken a "genetic memory" (the memory that is imprinted upon it's genetic makeup) and then you could have your very own ghola!! :D (too much Dune.... sorry) ;)

naw, yer right man. I don't think clones would be the same people, but the question is would you behave the same way as your clone (or vise versa) in it's circumstances. Who knows?

A good read on this hijacked thread topic is Cyteen by Cherryh.

Another one that deals with the ethics and obligations of clones as a tangent topic is in the Miles Vorsigan series by Bujold - starting in Brothers in Arms.

I'd look it up, but I'm wary of opening a Bujold book. They suck me in with the phrasing and characterization and I can't afford to lose hours right now.

Yeah, one thing I always forget, is that (as far as I know) when someone is cloned, they are actually raised from infancy; not like in cheesy sci-fi where it's like you step into a little room, and *pop* out comes two of you or something. Heh. But, say for a moment that that *was* the way it went... would that duplicate have the same memories as yourself? Or would they be more or less a 'blank slate' ...hard to guess, methinks. On an actual clone, one raised from infancy though... would they have that memory imprinted on their genes, as stated above? That'd be one long life filled with deja vu. Heh.

Deja vu, on the other hand, I have an interesting theory about... well, interesting to me anyways... and that gets into the whole time + universe infinite thing... kinda loopy. It's all instinctive reasoning with no facts behind it, so really, it's kinda pointless :P

I'm confident that if a person was cloned, they would have their own individual soul... just, as we said before, an identity crisis. Mean.

And how, exactly, would you just create a "lump of flesh" for mankind's benefit without creating the rest of the person, too? Doesn't cloning involve infants, which is also stated above? Or do you put the DNA in a special microwave and out comes the transplant liver?

By all means preach the Gospel...and IF necessary, use your voice.

~An Unknown Poet

Oh and another fav....

It is better to remain silent and let those around you think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Something like that. :0)

Kind Jareena Faye~

How is it that my quote offended you and sent that message to you?! I was trying to say quite the contrary! I am a very deeply religious woman myself!!

I believe the quote I presented by the unknown poet is saying this.

By all means preach the Gospel, and IF necessary use your voice. Meaning God could be so part of our lives, that simply by the way we live our lives we are spreading the Gospel. Our kindness, love, good works and sincere compassion for other people along with many other traits that are often associated with people who have a belief in God.

That's what I meant! Quite the opposite of the message you took it for! I'm sorry to have given you that impression. :0) I'm the last to EVER condemn anyone from standing up for what they believe in regardless if I agree or not.

Seii is quite right. I simply was adding two of my favorite quotes. One serious one, one silly one, both unrelated to each other. :0)

I'm sorry that it appeared I had alterior meanings, I assure you I did not. I only posted with the best of intentions.

In sincerity,

Shelby (The person behind Salinye)

Salinye -

i cannot answer for anyone else, however i suspect that it was a matter of context rather than the specific content that caused the misunderstanding. i have avoided posting to this thread for some time for simply that reason. That which i would have to say relates to an earlier branch of this topic thread, and in the more recent conversational shift (which is controversial enough and has deep emotional ties for many) the risk of being grossly misunderstood was simply too great.

In a conversation which touches deeply held beliefs and very deep emotions, especially one in which expressions cannot be seen and voice tones cannot be heard, it is all too easy to be misread and that which is added as a well-meant and somewhat amusing return to an earlier context to be misconstrued as a commentary on the current context and/or participants. i know this, having inadvertently done it myself from both sides more than once. :-\

At risk of 'opening my mouth and removing all doubt' i honestly believe this was a misunderstanding based in uncertainty as to the proper context for your comments.

Ayshela~

I appreciate your words, thank you. :0)

My mistake was this...

I read the first page of quotes, and not the second page before I posted mine. I had NO idea that this thread had wandered from it's original intent or I would have probably not posted on it. I wasn't trying to interrupt a debate or send any hidden messages. :0)

If I wanted to voice strong opinions, I would do it straight out and not veil it behind quotes. :0)

My apologies again for the misunderstanding.

I guess that will teach me to read an entire thread before posting, yes?

~Salinye

*edited to fix a spelling error http://www.themightypen.net/public/style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif *

Edited by Salinye

Hmmm. I know online people best from whispers and giggles, tears and fears in private alcoves of chatrooms.

From Private Messaging at odd hours of the day, and leaving Love Bombs in the Inbox, lurking to explode with well-wishes and hugs for no reasons.

Mostly from being willing to be as totally honest and without masks, to risk pain and accept the other person upfront without requiring they change to impress me - first. And then still accepting them as individual no matter their reaction.

For celebrating their joys, commiserating their heart-aches, and understanding that what might seem trivial to me could feel life-or-death important to them.

All the basic hard-core Christian stuff in action. Like Ms. Faye implied, any spiritual belief seems to a verb, not a noun.

I've noticed that some of my friends who believe differently initially had far more problems with acceptance than I - they could accept any belief system which in no way implied judgement on others, while I give heed to a belief system which judges other belief systems - and accepts the individuals.

But arguments? Heat of strong opinions? Icky.

Tosses his head in a Libra way. when that stuff happens -

Isn't it beautiful weather out there? The forecast calls for continued climate. See that bird? Isn't it neat? It's alive and just doing its thing.

:P

*Stick agrees with Peredhil, as it is indeed a nice day outside, especially after that cold snap we had last weekend*

... although the birds... the birds are kinda noisy when you're trying to sleep. But oh well, it's their nature. Or something!

Let's hear it for happiness! Or something...! ^.^