The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

"poetic Justice"

Wyvern

Poets, creative writers, members and visitors of the Mighty Pen,

It is my pleasure to announce to you my latest Pen project, one that has secretly been in the works for a little less than a year now and one that I've been teasing a number of you about over chat recently. As the project is rapidly approaching it's completion (with only a bit of cover art remaining before everything is printed out) I feel it's time that "Poetic Justice" was finally announced officialy...

To start things off: "Poetic Justice" is a compilation CD. I'm certain that many of you will cringe at the lack of originality in this, since I already used this idea on the community of the Archmage Universal Bulletin Boards where I previously hosted a successful contest for the compilation CD known as "The Chronicles of Terra". However, while "Poetic Justice" is another collection of the music genre that so many of you at the Pen have grown to love to hate me for, I can assure you that it is far from a sequel to "The Chronicles of Terra". Admittedly, when I started compiling "Poetic Justice" around a year ago (shortly after I had finished "The Chronicles of Terra"), my original intention had been a CD of music that personified members of the Pen, which would have been compiled in a method identical to that of "The Chronicles of Terra". However, I'm not a big fan of repeating the same idea twice (though you'd never tell from my writing ;p), so eventually I abandoned the previous plan and the CD developed in rather unexpected manners over time. What I was left with in the end was a conceptual compilation... One which is not specifically dedicated to the Mighty Pen, yet which I feel the literary community of the Pen would be most able to appreciate...

So, what's the concept of "Poetic Justice"? To quote the CD's liner notes (which I've written out and am including in the final package): "This compilation of various artists depicts the well deserved punishment of Western civilization, brought about by the rapid deterioration and ultimate corruption of American society." This concept is depicted over the course of 12 tracks, in which a range of diverse topics are covered and executed, each in their own creative manners. Clocking in at around 52 minutes and with 6 less tracks than "The Chronicles of Terra", "Poetic Justice" delivers 10 times as powerfull a message. A focus has been placed on originality, lyricism, and creativity for each track. No artists are repeated over the course of the album, and each track is represented by a single M.C. The order and choice of tracks provides a certain sense of interconnectivity, and the sharing of certain underlying themes.

Interested yet? Did I mention that it's going to have cover artwork by the highly talented Yui Temae? How about the interior design and very professional feel to the CD casing?

There is also a possibility that the CD might be mixed and mastered by none other than yours truly, though I can confirm nothing on that front as of yet.

"Poetic Justice" will be manufactured by me, right here at Almost Dragonic studios, and will be distributed and given away exactly like my last CD. That is: for free, to the winners of whatever the contest may be...

Stay tuned for the announcment of a contest as well as other details as they develope...

Thank you for reading.

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"If it doesn't make dollars then it doesn't make sense" - Triple Seis, "Glamour Life"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where should we post for this? In here, the Assembly room with a note in the title? What? The dwarf'll wanna know these things, I'm sure.

Brute

O Drunken One

Guest lumpenproletariat

weenie warrior! I like that ^^

you got more competition Brute :P

Well I try my best

To be just like I am

But everybody wants you

To be just like them

They sing while they slave and just get bored

I ain't gonna work on, nah

I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more

First of all, thanks to all of those who have noticed this project and have posted in this thread or questioned me about the CD over chat. Your interest is greatly appreciated, and makes the effort put into this thing all worthwhile...

A brief update: "Poetic Justice" will unfortunatly not be mixed and mastered, due to lack of the appropriate "EZ CD Creator" technology. This doesn't greatly affect the CD, however, and the final package should still be quite a professional piece of music.

For those of you with questions about what the contest will be and where it will be posted, please be patient. The contest subject and details will be officially announced next week.

That's all for now... Wyvern out!

Almost a Dragon...

"If it doesn't make dollars then it doesn't make sense" - Triple Seis, "Glamour Life"

Ladies and gentleman,

It's time to officially announce the contest for "Poetic Justice"! Submit an entry into this contest and you'll have the chance of winning a free custom made conceptual compilation CD (I like the ring to that ;p). The contest is as follows:

------------------------------------------------

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language defines "poetic justice" as "an outcome in which virtue is rewarded and vice punished, often in an especially appropriate or ironic manner." As the title of my new compilation CD suggests, poetic justice is one of the central themes of the CD and plays a major roll in its messages...

The task I ask of you, the contestants, is to write any piece of writing about (or in some way incorporating) the concept of poetic justice. The piece of writing can be a story, a poem, or anything else that inspires you, just so long as it incorporates the topic. Note that poetic justice does not have to be an outcome in which both virtue AND vice are rewarded accordingly, but can also be about either if you want. Entries will be judged on the basis of effort, creativity, and quality writing.

----------------------------------------------------

While there's no determined end date for the contest as of yet, it will be announced shortly. It'll most probably last a month. The number of CDs to be won is also yet-to-be-determined, but wil be announced in the near future. I'm putting up another thread in the Cabaret Room where people can submit their entries when they've finished them, called "Poetic Justice - Contest Entries". As you currently have a month to do them, there's no big rush to get them completed... but definitely be considering them as the days pass by.

Anyone can participate in the "Poetic Justice" contest, it is not limited to people who have posted in this thread or even to members of the Pen. Feel free to add any questions or comments you have about the contest or the compilation itself in this thread. The "Poetic Justice - Contest Entries" thread should only contain entries submitted to the contest, all other things about "Poetic Justice" should be posted in this thread.

Good luck!

Almost a Dragon...

The deadline for contest entries is officialy set for the 6th of February, so that the compilations can be shipped to the winners by Valentine's Day. This gives you quite a bit of time to write entries, but definitely keep the contest in mind over that course of time.

The number of CDs to be won is still yet to be decided, though it seems most likely to be 3 at this moment, like my last contest.

More updates as they come...

Almost a Dragon...

Vlad - good tight poem. The difficulty of writing more in less cannot be underestimated.

Minta- you had me ROLLING with your diary. Give Honey a hug from Nyyark and me.

We do not write because we want to; we write because we have to.

W. Somerset Maugham

wait... was that her entry...? I'm confused

What does it have to do w/ poetic justice...

*Wanders off and goes temporarily insane.*

[Why are you giving me that look? Yes, YOU! You act like you've never seen it happen before.]

Announcement:

Just to let everybody know, all of the copies of "Poetic Justice" have been created and are ready to be shipped! Of course, they won't be sent out until well into February since that's when the contest ends, but I just wanted everyone to know that they've been created and will be resting quietly at my dorm room until February. I'm genuinely pleased with how the artwork and layout came out, and think those who recieve copies will certainly be in for a treat... There are currently 3 copies to be won.

Another note: while all comments are greatly appreciated, remember to try and keep them to this thread... If lots of people begin posting comments as well as contest entries in the "Poetic Justice - Contest Entries" thread, I'm gonna have a heck of a time sorting the entries from the comments in the end... ^_^'

Thanks to everyone who is interested in this contest and has commented!

Almost a Dragon...

Tasslehof,

No need to worry, you certainly haven't missed the contest by any means as the closing date for it is actually February 6th, which still gives you plenty of time to write an entry. :) Read the beginning of this thread to find out what it's about, and post here if you have any more questions about it. :)

Peace,

Wyv~