The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Star Wars III

Salinye

Okay, so we just got back from the midnight showing of the movie and I thought it was FABULOUS! My only caution is that I feel like it definately is NOT for young children. (This is coming from a mother who let her young children watch all the other star wars movies and all three Lord of the Rings) I'm going to make my kids wait until they are older. There is one scene in particular that I found very disturbing.

The good news is, Anakin finally redeemed his acting ability and gave an excellent performance. I thought there was only one moment of cheese in the movie, which is another plus. :0)

I'm happy to give more input when we are discussing the movie WITH spoilers, but since I promised no spoilers in this thread, I'll leave it at that. Good movie, go see it!

~Salinye :fairy:

I know the thread said no spoilers, but I can't help myself.

So anyway, you know that Anakin guy? Totally turns into Darth Vader. :P

Also Salinye, when you said the actor playing Anakin redeemed himself I personally feel that it was never his fault in the first place. The real blame lies with the director and writers.

Susie was excited. The third Star Wars movie was coming, and she was going with her boyfriend and two of his friends. She hadn't paid attention to the minor details of the fourth, fifth or sixth, but that didn't mean she wasn't a fan. The first had been neat, the second had even contained romance, and she had been steadfastly ignoring any spoilers for the last few years.

Then she happened across a "No spoilers" discussion on the internet. Hmm, this person had liked it.. a disturbing moment, though. Maybe that was just some male nudity!! Someone else who was reconsidering watching it. Good, a convert. And... oh God, no, no!! The bolded words burned themselves into her head. Noooooooo! Who could do such a thing???

It's possible, you know. :P

Edited by Katzaniel

I fully expect it to suck - even if it will suck less than the first two episodes, that's not much of an accomplishment. I'll go watch it anyways, though, perhaps monday or so when the most rabid fans are gone.

I forgot to mention that I never thought they would come up with a cooler bad guy than Darth Maul, but General Greivious was SO FLIPPIN COOL! Dang that was a cool character! Kudos on him!

Yes, one very disturbing scene, though. :0( *twitch* We'll talk about it in a spoiler thread latah!

~Salinye :fairy:

Susie was excited.  The third Star Wars movie was coming, and she was going with her boyfriend and two of his friends.  She hadn't paid attention to the minor details of the fourth, fifth or sixth, but that didn't mean she wasn't a fan.  The first had been neat, the second had even contained romance, and she had been steadfastly ignoring any spoilers for the last few years.

Then she happened across a "No spoilers" discussion on the internet.  Hmm, this person had liked it.. a disturbing moment, though.  Maybe that was just some male nudity!!  Someone else who was reconsidering watching it.  Good, a convert.  And... oh God, no, no!! The bolded words burned themselves into her head.  Noooooooo!  Who could do such a thing???

It's possible, you know. :P

You forgot the part where she lived under a rock for the past 25 years. :P

Having seen it... I want more... much much more.

I've long been the first to admit an addiction to Star Wars, I've even defended it when it was less than well received in the wake of Episode 1...

Bah!

I didn't know the meaning of the word addiction, until now.

Obviously given by bias in favour of Star Wars my love of this episode probably wont carry much weight, but my only regret is that having transformed (what I now realise was) my mild craving into a full blown addiction... there's no more!

There exists the possibility that I'm going to go mad over this. :blink:

I still haven't forgiven Lucas from changing the original epic plan.

I'd heard an interview on a Texas radio station when they were playing the radio version of Starwars Episode IV.

The original concept was to present in nine parts.

I-III - Anakin's rise and fall to the Dark Side

IV-VI - Luke's rise and fall to the Dark Side in killing his father

VII-IX - Leia's rise and redemption of the SkyWalker family

He changed it for episode VI because he was sick of the egos and stupidity and swore never to work this damaged saga again.

Then the popularity, the advance in technology, and the fan base from the books seduced him to the Hollywood side.

I don't think I could handle Luke going to the darkside.

Probably because the movies are so ingrained in my memory. More likely though because for at least a little bit, he was the only Jedi in the entire galaxy.

We went to the midnight showing last night, and Episode III was pretty cool. It did seem a little cheesy and/or overly dramatic in some places, but that didn't bother me. I think it sort of worked for the movie. I was dissapointed in Natalie Portman, but her role kind of wasn't very good. That one scene was disturbing. Overall, a very good movie, and I'm dissapointed there aren't any more.

That's hilarious. Tam and I were watching Episode IV only last night, and when Obi Wan convinces Luke to start learning the force, I commented that it would just be hilarious if Luke fell to the Dark Side as well. Why Obi Wan would be so sure that Luke would be a better Jedi after he'd been so sure about Annikan and turned out wrong, I don't know...

Mira: What's wrong with rocks? Very comfortable!

Warning: Parodied Spoilers Ahead

We find out that Obi-Wan is actually Han Solo's father.

It turns out that Darth Vader is the one who built the Millenium Falcon.

General Grievous dies, but his spirit lives on to aid his clan of bandits as Yoshimitsu.

Einstien goes before the jedi council and announces that the sides of the force are actually relative to your reference frame.

Those buttons on Vader's suit really do something, but they only do it offscreen so as to maintain a PG-13 rating.

R2-D2 and C3P0 are destroyed and replaced by two more droids from those lines.

They find the Statue of Liberty sticking out of the sand on Tatooine.

Padme has a fling with the guy who later claims to be Luke's "uncle," but is still pretty sure the kids are Anakin's.

After trying on the suit, Anakin decides he doesn't want to be Darth Vader after all. The Emperor gets Uncle Fester from the Addams Family to do the job instead. Anakin becomes a stormtrooper and is killed by muppets in Return of the Jedi. Why Uncle Fester claims to be Luke's father remains a mystery, but they promise to clear it up in the 4th Indiana Jones movie.

As a practical joke, Vader's first outfit was neon yellow. Emperor called him Darth Banana to fuel his rage.

All deceased Jedi ghosts tried to form a new council. They were mockingly referred to as Dead-eye by those "alive" bastards.

Ok, not really.

And in case somebody didn't understand, these are NOT real.

Edited by Vlad

well...ummm....yeah....

guess I was the only one that didn't like it?

:huh:

Nope - my friend has been detailing all of its faults, complaining bitterly and sighing huge sighs all day. ;)

I haven't seen it, so can't comment.

C. :)

My g/f is a big fan, so I thought it would be a good movie to take her to...but man, we should have seen Million Dollar Baby or something. Admittedly Episode III is probably one of the better of the recent movies, but it is still a big disappointment compared with the old movies.

The action scenes are fairly specatacular, and the opening space battle is probably the best reason to see the movie.

Apart from that, the acting is awful (Hayden Christiansen, I hate you) and the script could have been written by a two year old. No, really, it could.

There are lots of cringe-worthy moments, but the one I thought took the cake was when Darth Vader did his "Nooooooooooooooooo!" scream.

In conclusion, i thought that it was an awful film, that was ONLY JUST worth the money I spent on it because it had alot of cool fighting.

If you're thinking about seeing this movie, don't. Wait till it comes out on dvd. See the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy instead.

Hydrus

Or instead - do go and see it - because the good things about this movie deserve to be seen on the big screen and if you wait to see it on DVD you'll miss the whole point.

Who knows, it might turn out that like me you actually like this movie - and if you don't... well you can just add yourself to the list of people who think that my taste in movies is rotten to the core. ;)

What I'm getting from this thread is affirmation of a long standing theory of mine. For every person who loves a movie there'll be another who hates it and vice versa. You see... I loved Episode 3, where I thought that Hitch Hikers Guide blah blah was mediocre at best

Bleh, here's one *very* minor spoiler.

Jar Jar Binks is in the movie, doesn't speak, but also doesn't die.

Therefore, I will not watch the movie in the movie theater.

Now, if someone should happen to bring it into the store*, I might watch it there. *grins*

*not condoning anything illegal, oh no!

I loved it. I bloody friggin loved it. I found only one problem with it, but other than that I loved it.

Honestly, I think the fight between Grievous and Kenobi could've been....a bit better..I've seen Grievous fight in the Clone Wars series thing, and was disappointed by the movie in that aspect, but other than that, well worth the $13 I spent to go see it with my girlfriend.

I don't see why people can't just sit back and enjoy the movie though. If they sat there to enjoy the movie and not nitpick they'd like things more often.

I liked the movie but really you could put a paper towel roll in front of me and I would like it. heh.

If I had to point out bad things I would say the acting by Anakin's character could have been better. There just doesnt seem to be much emotion in that fellows face. On the other hand some people in real life just dont show much emotion so perhaps thats just how Anakin is.

There were a lot more good things than bad though. To avoid spoilers I wont go into them but I think overall the movie was a great experience and a fitting end to the first 3. Its hard to look at all 6 as a whole for me only because of the difference in technology used to make them.

I will be sad that my kids might not get the pitting feeling in their tummys when they first hear "Luke.. I am your father" like I did. I think I will keep them under rocks and show them the movies in the order I saw them.