The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf III: The Case of Garnavon Hall

Tanuchan

Lord Richard, Watson, and a third man enter in a run, attracted by the shooting. Taking in Wil recovering conscience, Cooper pointing a gun at both Marcus and Lady Emily, and the damage done to the furniture, all three draw weapons.

"What is happening here, gentlemen? Mr. Cooper, put that gun down."

"This Welshman is insane, Lord Richard. He has claimed to have seen Lady Emily here transform into a werewolf last night," says Marcus still glaring at Wil. "And was babbling accusations, and pointing a gun at a poor crippled girl!"

Cooper gives the gun to Watson, confirming the story and also explaining Wil's claim to have the Second Sight.

Watson looks at the third man, who nods in a quite annoyed way also putting away his weapon.

"Second Sight, eh? Well, well... that does look like an insane man's talk. But right now, I see that we should analise this very carefully. As I understand from what Dr. Watson and Lord Richard have been telling me, this gentleman here..." turns to Wil, who's groggily standing up,"... has followed tracks, found actual footprints and related them to Lady Galanodel here. And you say he has just shown proof she could have been involved in the crimes?"

Lord Richard steps in, grimly, to present the lean, ferret-like man. "This is Inspector Lestrade, from the Scotland Yard. We called him after yesterday evening's events."

As Lord Richard asks the guests to the library, Lady Emily being led in her chair by Dr.Watson, there's some loud noise coming from just behind them. When they turn, Lady Emily quickly sprints from the chair and pushes Mrs. Horton into Marcus and Sir Alfred, running then to the kitchen.

Wil is after her in seconds, being prepared for anything, and he's followed closely by Cooper. The kitchen's servants gape at the scene as Lady Emily passes through, followed closely by several people. She dodges Wil, who tries to grab her arm, and sends a cooking pan flying into Cooper's face, before gaining the outside. Cooper staggers at the blow and falls over Lestrade, delaying the pursuit.

Lady Emily glances quickly behind her, pretty sure of having escaped... for there's a hidden horse for her near the stables. However, a branch appears from nowhere and trips her flat to the ground.

"It really won't do for a lady be running in such haste. Specially one who is not supposed to be even walking."

Emily looks up, recognizing at once the tall, thin figure of Sherlock Holmes pointing a pistol at her.

"My dear Werewolf, wouldn't you just get up and wait for my friends who seem to have been a bit delayed in your pursuit? No? Well, be comfortable there, then."

The sheer hate in her eyes would have been sufficient for making anyone tremble, but Holmes just smiles levelly. Lord Richard arrives with the others, and Lestrade pulls Lady Emily to her feet.

"So, Lady Werewolf, finally we caught one of you," grins him.

"Werewolf?!" cries Wetherby, surprised.

Holmes nods. "Yes. An assassin guild, whose members go from Cub to Werewolf. And she is one of the main... Lestrade, hold her!"

Lestrade and Watson grab Lady Emily's hands, which had been to her mouth, but she smiles.

"Too late... it's quick, and painless... you won't have anything..."

Gasping, she convulses. Holmes stops Watson from helping, shaking his head.

"No use, Watson. I know some of the poisons the guildmembers use. She'll be dead in minutes."

He raises her hand, showing a ring with a false jewel... opened to reveal a small cavity where a drop of liquid still lingers.

OOC Lady Emily Galanodel was a Werewolf, one of a most efficient Guild of Assassins. Good choice! Now, while Holmes gets the latest facts from Watson and Lord Richard, it's time for the guests rest and think about what they'll be telling Mr.Holmes when morning comes. It's Night Phase! Wolf/Seer/Baner, please send your PMs. Day Phase will start in 24 hours or as soon as I get all the PMs.

Edited by Tanuchan

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: Scorecard

Who's alive and suspicious...

Katharine Horton (Katzaniel) ==> , retired schoolteacher

Wetherby Danielson (MeThinksUFoolish) ==> Sir Cecil Garnavon's butler

George Worthington (X-Sabre) ==> tavern owner

Sir Alfred Peterson (Degenero Angelus) ==> rich old Knight and Nobleman

James Doyle (Tamaranis) ==> stableboy at Garnavon Hall

Marcus Horton (Ozymandias) ==> a butcher (Katharine's son)

Elisabeth Christie (Lady Celes) ==> well-known socialite

Gavin Doyle (Matteo) ==> Philosophy major with minor in English

Edwyn Cooper (Eyremon) ==> American soldier/merc just back from Africa

Wil (Gnarlitch) ==> jack o' all trades

Who's unfortunately passed away...

Sir Garnavon, first NPC kill

Vincent Cuthbert (Dean) ==> doctor of Chemistry

Lady Clarice, second NPC kill

John Norfolk (Nave) ==> merchant

Shota Vahktang (Vahktang) ==> Georgian gentleman

Lady Emily Galanodel (Elwen) ==> first Werewolf assassin

((*falls over flat* The second time in two days that I felt well enough to read coherently, and the first I could reply to a post and not messages, and I get on to find out I'm dead? Just my luck. Oh well...I guess I suck at playing "evil" characters, or this game in general. My sincerest apologies to everyone, especially Tanuchan, because this is the second time the vote's had to have been postponed, and I had a hand in it. I'll just be a good little wraith now...I do want to know at the end of the game what made me so suspicious. Might help me improve next time.))

sorry for the delayed reply ms. horton. I was paranoid after the fire the first night and watched over Wil the second. I had a feeling that he was special. like I said I am going to watch over him again tonight. So I guess we had better get dug in before the next assasain strikes. Goodnight.

OOC No prob Elwen :D You played just as I would have :D If gnalitch hadnt "seen" you, you might still be alive :D Sometimes protesting too much about your innocence is a bad thing ;)

In truth I had no clue you were the wolf. I just picked you at random and then stuck with you because I had no better reasoning :D.

Over in the KenzerCo board's current game, we found one wolf and that was sort of through luck. Something the wolf said put him on my radar and then another thing put him on my radar again. I chose him when another player (whom I had targeted as a suspect) suggested a truce and we combined our votes to take down one of two players we both suspected. He let me chose which of the two for us to take down and I went with the one who had set off my senses twice and that proved to be right :D

Course I'm dead now in that game too :D I have my beliefs who the last wolf is in that game, but in this one I'm clueless to the second wolf :)

((OOC: You did well and you had been "sighted". I was pretty clueless about who might be the wolves. But I like the paraplegic lady idea you've pulled off. Also, at the other game, you managed to pull off a very interesting character with a lots of depth.*hugs* I can't wait to see the ghosts's chat.))

Elisabeth Christie has mixed feelings about the late events. While she's happy that one of the culprits had been caught, it will be problematic to find the other since everyone Wil "saw" are now deceased. She walks over him and talks to him.

- Wil, whoever you choose to see tonight, it will be a vital choice. I strongly suggest that you don't hesitate to ask as many questions before tonight. Although that I havent led the most unreproachable live, I have nothing to hide. As for Emily, well, I don't undestand her interest for such evil doing.

"Werewolf?!" cries Wetherby, surprised.

Holmes nods. "Yes. An assassin guild, whose members go from Cub to Werewolf. And she is one of the main... Lestrade, hold her!"

Lestrade and Watson grab Lady Emily's hands, which had been to her mouth, but she smiles.

"Too late... it's quick, and painless... you won't have anything..."

Gasping, she convulses. Holmes stops Watson from helping, shaking his head.

"No use, Watson. I know some of the poisons the guildmembers use. She'll be dead in minutes."

And I missed it.

Darn.

IC:

The spectre that is Mr. Vahktang looks on with approval.

"Good show."

More later,

Vahktang

*The spirit of Dr. Cuthbert hovers close...*

That's right all of you, the "Werewolf" calling card...

The silver weapon.

And the potent poison... "Wolfsbane"

Actually the weed was a poison, but when used properly could "Cure" a "Pure" infected soul.

And if they died, well... Who was to care? They were obviously too far gone.

A fitting calling card of the werewolf. So that's why I had to die...

A shame to die over a superstition... But they'll have Holmes to answer to. And that would of been too much of a giveaway...

Oh well... Back to my studies on the ethereal...

((OOC: Motive? Who says an assassin *has* to be evil? Now that I'm dead and gone, I can actually present my motive for doing what I did. Bear in mind that Lady Emily was completely off her rocker...if she ever had one, that is.))

A chill wind blows in a guest's now-deserted room. It is empty, most of her things having been taken for evidence by Mr. Holmes and the police. The only thing remaining is a strange arrangement of cards on her desk. Not playing cards-tarot cards.

It is better to die in hope than live in despair. the wind sings softly, the words too soft to hear. Life is despair and suffering, and death is the ultimate release from sorrow and pain.

But you threw away the hope I would have given you...and now, I am the one who is free...

"Watson, wake up!"

The doctor mumbles a bit until Holmes' words enter his mind, waking him completely.

"Holmes? What happened?"

"Shh. I heard a noise. Dress quickly, get your pistol and come! "

A shadow walks slowly but surely in the corridor, carrying a small bag. It stops in front of the door next to the stairs, and starts working quickly on it. There are some soft clicking noises as a trap is set...

The moon shines through the window near the end of the corridor, bringing to Holmes and Watson some sharpness to the shadowy figure they can see squatting at the door. A glint of metal to his right calls Watson's attention, and he nudges Holmes.

"Garnavon's coat of arms" whispers Holmes. "It wasn't there before."

A whisper makes the figure straighten quite suddenly, looking around in alarm. Watson and Holmes tense at the same time, too far to see what caused the movement. "Goddammit!" swears Holmes, sprinting and shouting, "No, don't move!"

Several things happen at once. The sudden whisper that teases, "So my little ruse worked... I wouldn't be so obvious, would I?" A string yet unseen, a step back towards a coat of arms that shouldn't be there. A sword glinting in the moonlight as it slides into flesh.

Watson kneels besides the body as Holmes runs downstairs. He comes back in minutes with a grim face. "Surprisingly fast, and it was well planned. No sign of whoever it was. And Sir Alfred?"

"You know it was him!"

"Recognized him when he straightened. And I wish I had had the time to talk to him before he retired, but Lestrade kept being a nuisance. I could have been able to avoid this... How's he, Watson?"

"Dead. The sword got his jugular in a most unfortunate strike."

"Unfortunate? No." Holmes examines carefully the body, the door, the sword, and the coat of arms.

"What was he doing here, Holmes?"

"Trying to protect." Holmes turns to him. "He was a most skilled man with traps, but it seems he finally met his equal. This was carefully planned... both the springing mechanism of the trap and the way it was set so that the sword would get anyone's neck on its path. And... see the sword, Watson?"

The doctor picks it carefully. "A silvered blade! And... a wolf's head in the hilt!"

"The trademark of the Werewolves. Silver and wolf mark."

OOC The Werewolf Assassin was lucky or incredibly smart. Sir Alfred Peterson/Degenero Angelus was the Baner! It's Day Phase, and you have 48 hours to speculate and accuse, hoping Mr. Holmes will heed your words and act wisely.

OOC: Scorecard

Who's alive and suspicious...

Katharine Horton (Katzaniel) ==> , retired schoolteacher

Wetherby Danielson (MeThinksUFoolish) ==> Sir Cecil Garnavon's butler

George Worthington (X-Sabre) ==> tavern owner

James Doyle (Tamaranis) ==> stableboy at Garnavon Hall

Marcus Horton (Ozymandias) ==> a butcher (Katharine's son)

Elisabeth Christie (Lady Celes) ==> well-known socialite

Gavin Doyle (Matteo) ==> Philosophy major with minor in English

Edwyn Cooper (Eyremon) ==> American soldier/merc just back from Africa

Wil (Gnarlitch) ==> jack o' all trades

Who's unfortunately passed away...

Sir Garnavon, first NPC kill

Vincent Cuthbert (Dean) ==> doctor of Chemistry

Lady Clarice, second NPC kill

John Norfolk (Nave) ==> merchant

Shota Vahktang (Vahktang) ==> Georgian gentleman

Lady Emily Galanodel (Elwen) ==> first Werewolf assassin

Sir Alfred Peterson (Degenero Angelus) ==> the Baner

"I had certainly hoped that if you were truly our only protector, you would not have admitted it openly. I did wonder if this was the case, and also whether you were a mere innocent trying to create a diversion from Wil. But the fact that you are giving yourself up would seem to contradict the latter; I see no reason why you would pretend to be guilty if you were not."

Eyeing Edwyn suspiciously, Katharine then states, "With that in mind, I have little reason to do other than believe in your guilt, Mr. Cooper, as I did from nearly the beginning. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, Wil?"

OOC: Vote for Eyremon - Edwyn Cooper

Edit: just making it more clear

Edited by Katzaniel

Elisabeth Christie, who is now clad in a sober brown velvet gown and let her hair tied in a more conservative bun, rereads the letter she wrotes the evening before for her husband.

My beloved husband,

I've got disturbing news about recent events in Garnavon Hall. It appears that Lady Emily Galanodel was a member of an assassin order whose rankings are inspired by the legend of the famed Werewolf. She had been unmasked by a commoner named Wil, who appears to have the gift of seeing things and he had seen Emily doing her evil schemes.

Fortunatly, Mr. Sherlock Holmes and Detective Lestrade finally made their way here. However, we are still looking for the second accomplice and I hope that Wil have sighted him or her.

It disturbs me that I cannot have any news from you right now, as I wish to hear your conforting and wise words. I miss you dearly.

Still hoping to be by your side soon,

Elisabeth

The socialite neatly folds the letter and enclosed it in an evelop before heading to the library, where Katharine Horton is talking severly to the american.

- What is going on here? Who had unfortunatly passed away?

Katharine fills Elisabeth with all the details she knows about the late events

- Sir Alfred Peterson was our protector? What a sad turns of events. That means that it will be the very last vision we will be able to benefit from him, as he wont hesitate to kill him. I would like to hear from Wil before making any choice.

Wil is busy, vomiting noisily into his washbasin until he thinks he may have seen a shoe come out!

*pant pant*

Wil I was dreaming again, this time about Sir Alfred. It was as if I were standing beside him when he died. Sadly, he it was whom I suspected the most, and yet he died attempting to protect me. :angry: It would appear that I am next on the assassins' hit list. And I have not a clue at the moment other than I beleive it was a man. I must think on this a bit. :hmm:

Edited by Gnarlitch

what sir alfred is dead!! damn.

it seems I have failed in my plan. I accuse myself.

OOC: now come on, it wasn't even that obvious that you were claiming to be the baner before, and now you gave it all away. have more faith in your slyness next time.

IC: Cooper's blunder with words is made obvious when he cries out during breakfast in the morning. Everyone is silent for a moment.

"Well i don't know what to say, now, it seems this horrible travesty is finally over. Here is the one we have looked for."

Guns are quickly pulled out and pointed at Mr. Cooper.

"Quite odd, in fact, this secret Werewolf guild didn't sound like the type to let in Americans, they have no sense of style."

OOC: Mr. Cooper

Edited by MeThinksUFoolish

OOC:

Ok, as far as suspicions, I don't suspect Eyremon and would ask you not to vote against him at this time.

X-Sabre has not logged a post since the game started, so he looks suspicious for that reason alone. (keeping a low profile...or he just lost interest *shrugs*)

Methinksyoufoolish One of the top two on my list. Didn't vote last round, possibly to keep from giving himself away by not voting against Elwen, BUT, in the second round, with Elwen tied for the lead his vote was for someone not in the runing. he could have changed to Nave to protect Elwen and he didn't. Once again, it could just have been to keep distance between himself and his partner, but with his partners life on the line, I don't buy it. #2 on list.

Ozzy he has voted against both innocent lynchings, and didn't vote against Elwen last round. But, as far aas raanking, he would be #3 on my list.

Tamaranis #1 on my list. Jumped in and saved Elwen and lynched Nave instead 2 rounds ago/ Didn't vote last round...maybe so as not to appear too guilty by not voting against the one "seen" as guilty.

I just really wish we knew who was baned the second night and so was not slaughtered.... <_<

IC:

Wil spends the day snooping about the mansion, searching for any other clues and reviewing all of the evidence in his head. Two faces keep comng back to him. The butler and the stable boy. Both keep relatively low profiles as servants. Both could easily have performed the murders and hidden their tracks, so to speak, knowing the manor so well. But, has anyone seen the atavern owner since his arrival? He has not spoken to him yet, nor seen enyone speak to him. Could he be sneaking around?

Will goes and checks the door to Worthington's room, finds it unlocked, and so peeks in. It looks as if no one had ever even been there. Maybe the first murder scared him off?

In looking for more clues Wil stumbles across Weatherby polishing the silver. Hmm, and the assassins like using silver. And, in all those crime novels it seems as if it is always the butler who did it. Weatherby is definitely suspicious then.

Wil next checks the stables, but is unable to find young Mr. Doyle. Maybe Doyle was in love with Emily and thus joined her evil plots for that reason. Or maybe he just hates those of higher social order.

Walking back into the sitting room, where Holmes and Watson are chatting quietly, he walks up, presents his suspicions, and then goes on about his buisiness. The decision has been made, then, Doyle/Tamaranis must be the second assassin.

A heavy hand comes to rest on Wil's shoulder. After the events of today especially, he twists violently, ready for anything. What he doesn't expect is for Marcus to be standign there calmly, carefully lowering his hand back to his side so Wil can the whole movement.

"I just wanted...to say I'm sorry. I misjudged you, Wil. Badly. I have to apologize again, though," says he with a regretful frown. "Though I'm trusting your word more and more, I still need more proof of this 'second sight' you talk about." His voice drops to a conspiratorial whisper. "And Mr. Cooper has proved himself unsafely strange indeed. He's been a little *too* prepared for all this. I still don't trust him."

(OOC:A vote for Tam/James. My character feels better about you, Gnarly old salt, but not Cooper, for reasons six-chambered. ;>) )

Watson and Lestrade observe Wil as he leaves.

"Second Sight? I have still to be convinced. But the lad seems alright, otherwise." Lestrade, skeptical, turns to Holmes. "Anyway, Holmes, and that tavern owner? He was in the list of guests but no one has seen him in the village for some days."

Holmes shakes his head, lighting his pipe. "Nothing wrong about him as far as I know. It seems he received a last minute notice that a relative was sick, and left for London soon afterwards."

"And Gavin Doyle?" Lestrade goes on, turning in his hands the list of guests. "He left very suddenly two days ago."

Holmes gives an amused smile, "Well, it seems he had a friend who was quite... anxious... about his absence. She was threatening to tear his hide away if he didn't go back to her. He left in a hurry, eluding you, Watson. He knew he wasn't supposed to leave, but you wouldn't have let him go... I suppose he was more afraid of his lady than of you."

OOC Sabre couldn't make it for the game until now, so I also guess he's out. Matteo had to bow out early, and apologizes to all of you. Both of them are welcome if they find the time to come back and post IC, but they're from now on considered NPC's for game purposes (can interact but, please, no accusations). :)

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan