The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf III: The Case of Garnavon Hall

Tanuchan

"Oi, je'us, ya'd think we all wen' an' turned inta savages 'ere, runnin' 'round accusin' people an' all a dat. Now 'e aint no savages, 're 'e? No, ah didn't think so. But......... 'e do need ta be catchnin' this killer 'fore 'e 'as a chance ta get me. I nev' trusted them foriegners anyway."

OOC: Eyremon - Edwyn Cooper

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Too be accused in reference to a book." Wetherby complained to a maid in the kitchen.

"He really accused you in front of everyone?" she asked.

"Oh, everyone laughed afterwards, but it was a nervous sort of laugh, and Dr. Cuthbert remained serious." he replied. "He had dark looking eyes. Harsh words coming from a man who would have such easy access to the chemicals that killed our master."

"Oh and like you didn't have reason to kill him" she smiled a him

"Oh he was a hard ass but he didn't deserve death" He smiled back "Well unlike that other one" his smile disaappeared.

"Well that one is never nice to any of us" she said, in a more somber mood herself."

"Well no matter," he said, returning to the smile, "we must get the drinks ready for the geusts"

"Oh, yes god forbid they stay sober for once", and she pulled out a tray of glasses. They filled each one with champagne.

He turned to her, "Shall we do the honors?"

"Gladly", and with that they both spat in the same drink they always spat in. "We are pretty childish, aren't we?" she asked

"No more than the rest of them" he said picking up the tray. He headed for the door but she ran up to him.

"Wait," she said, spitting in another glass. "For Mr. Cuthbert, for actions of late." He smiled and stepped into the next room.

"Drinks anyone? oh no, that one is for Mr. Cuthbert"

OOC: Mr. Cuthbert- DeanTheAdequate

Marcus wore an unconscious frown as he stood by Katharine's shoulder solictiously. As

Gavin mentally formed a meticulous reply, he felt he could stand it no longer.

"It's an outrage of the darkest sort, it is! Who indeed would want any member of the Garnavon family dead? They've done naught but good for this community, and I'll have anyone who intimates otherwise in a tick! It's the devil's work, it is."

A grimmer look pulls down his normally hangdog features even further. Leaning forward, he whispers to both Doyle and his mother, "It's many o' these out-of-town and foreign chaps that worry me. You've read the history books, Mr. Doyle, surely. More brazen attempts on the ruling class have been made thousands of times. A poisoner flaunting his wares isn't too hard to believe."

"Surely you don't mean," begins Gavin.

"Oh, yes I do. Watch that chemist. Let him near no food you eat."

On seeing Katharine's stricken look at such an uncharacteristic vehement accusation from her son, Marcus is immediately cowed.

"'M sorry, Mother. It's just...it's just the whole thing's got me in a state too, it has. Murder! Here in our own village, and it was one of our friends, no less! It's diabolical!" Visibly remembering himself finally, he makes a stiff bow of the head to Gavin. "My apologies to you as well, Mr. Doyle. I promise you both I shall excercise the better judgement I was taught from here on." Exhaling softly, he trade shis chastened look for a calm one, and inquires, "Would either of you care for a drink? Seems to me that'd be just the thing right now."

(OOC: Mr. Cuthbert. )

After her meeting in the Garden with the charming Mr. Vahktang and learning of her host's death, Elisabeth starts to regrets to not being by her husband's side. Listening to all the accusations flinging between each and everyone she feels that this time, she'll need more than Lady Luck's favor on her side to overcome what seems to be very unpleasant circumstances.

- I cannot believe what I am hearing! Is this a witch hunt? I understand that Sir Cecil Garnavon's death, may God have his soul, is the result of a vile murder but that's not a reason to go in sheer panic. However, I do feel that I am grasping straws as I have no clues whom might want to see this kind gentleman dead.

Then she hears Edwyn Cooper nagging her and tauting her into gossiping. Furiously, she walks over the American and scolds him in a controled but still furious tone.

- I do not know what you've heard about me and, quite frankly, I really don't care but, unlike you, I have the decency of not talking ill of the deceased. Also, for you, I am Mrs Christie.

Edwyn mocks her and chuckles.

- Sure Lizzy!

Elisabeth grabs a nearby glass of champagne and throws its content on the soldier's face. A tense silent floates in the atmosphere for a moment, until the known hedonist speaks again.

- I don't know what is the most affligeant between the two: your attitude or the fact I waisted such delicate alcohol on you.

Elisabeth walks away in a still furious pace.

(OOC: A vote against Eyrmon-Edwyn Cooper)

"Look at this now, my boss turns up dead and you all go turning on each other like caged animals" James declares. "None of you have even seen it!"

There is a moment of silence, followed by James' decision on what should be done next, "We should all go have a look at the body, is what we should do. Some one might notice something important, a clue, like."

Protests began based on what was proper, "Well it's what that Mr. Holmes fellow would do, isn't it?"

OOC: No accusation just yet.

Ugh!

There is a sulfuric content in this bubbly that... Wait a minute...

*Coughs into a napkin and rinses with a hip flask*

Ugh, how vulgur...

I am reminded of the joke of the wine taster...

A man walks into a pub claiming he is the world's greatist wine taster.

"I will wager fifty pounds to anyone who can bring me a bottle of wine I cannot identify, blindfolded!"

Several people try to stump the wine taster, but he gets it right every time, down to the vinyard. At last he sips one last glass.

"Ugh! This is urine! Fresh, warm urine!"

"Yea!" yells a voice in the back "But who's?"

"I'd never have wagered that a metaphysical thing could take such a weighty build." Gavin's lips curved ever slightly to form a wry grin. The ill attempt at whit was more to satisfy his odd sense of humour than to inspire laughter; it seamed that he took pleasure in making jokes that only he understood, and found revelry in the fact that indeed none responded. To him, this rather strange idiosyncrasy proved that he was indeed more intelligent than those about him.

"This tension could choke a smaller creature." He continued, grinning more openly now. "Excuse me, it must seam as if I have little regard for the situation. I shall try to address all that has been said, but you'll have to afford me time to think." He straightens himself up, and relaxes his features to resemble the obvious concern pained so openly on most other guest's features.

"I too share your sentiment Marcus; the chemist worries me. While I'd like not to point a finger without base; it is in he that I find the most rationale for my trepidation." His face wrinkled in a visage of contemplation. "I'd have to observe the behaviour of the other houseguests more thoroughly before I pass any true judgement, but there are few here that I would surmise has the mental and emotional capability to murder." He pauses for a moment then glances back to Katherine, "Then again, I must be wrong; otherwise our host would still be among the living."

Gavin brings his hand to his face extending his index finger to rub the itch from his eye. "There are just too many controvertible facts to take into consideration."

OOC: Vincent Cuthbert

Edited by Matteo

Emily shoots an icy look at the merchant. "I never asked for this face of mine, and I would certaintly never use my beauty to hide anything." the noblewoman says angrily, and gestures to her useless legs. "And how would I kill anyone, when I am confined to bed or chair, unable to walk? Considering how much noise this contraption-" a tiny hand pounds the arm of the Bath chair, "makes, I doubt that I would be able to sneak up on anyone in the night. As to hiring assassins, I do not have access to my parents' fortune until I am of age and married off, and most of my stipend is spent upon medical care, leaving only enough to run my household." By now, tears of frustration and anger, as well as sadness, glimmer in her eyes. "Only someone with something to hide would accuse a cripple who cannot even defend herself. What do you hide, Mr. Norfolk?"

((OOC: Nave/John Norfolk))

"My original thought still holds my attention," pronounced Katharine. "The Lady has good spoken well in her own defense, but I still think that there is only one with the proven ability to kill, even if the manners do differ. As for the chemist, I am surprised at you Marcus. Why would someone who openly deals with chemicals murder someone in such an obvious manner? Especially since clear and non-detectable poisons must abound in number, and one could have been slipped into his drink, no one suspecting murder at all. I thought I taught you better to use your mind. Probably it was an attempt to make someone else look guilty, but I won't believe it."

OOC: Vote for Eyremon - Edwyn Cooper

Editted to make vote clearer.

Edited by Katzaniel

Why would someone who openly deals with chemicals murder someone in such an obvious manner?

"For just that reason.

"We are reasonably intelligent people. A cunning murderer may take that into consideration, believing a clumsy murder would not make an intelligent man a suspect."

Especially since clear and non-detectable poisons must abound in number, and one could have been slipped into his drink, no one suspecting murder at all.

"But you do have a point there.

"Poison is historically known to be the weapon of choice of cowards and scoundrels. And women."

"If this was not such a great tragedy, it would make a good puzzle.

"But you are correct, scandel must be avoided.

"To that end, have the bride and groom been informed?"

More later,

Vahktang

Wow the dangers of being different huh.... I am glad we whupped your buts twice!

I became a target for speaking up? You all don't want to have your dandy reputations tarnished by this. You would rather kill innocent men to quiet them.

Well guess what. Nobody cares about what goes on out here.

You are foolish to accuse the chemist. he could help you all. but noooo you would rather kill him then possibly be in a scandle. you want to kill me for speaking up do IT!!! Hell I did it does that make it easier. I just moseyed on up there and pricked him with that needle. I have no motive. But in the service we call this taking one for the team. I see that the chemist can help and you all are killing him for knowing his profession. What about the butcher? He knows how to cut up meat be careful. :woot:

Also remember I am not the only foreigner in these halls. That should not be a factor in deciding guilt or innocence.

Vinnie, I want you to know that I will not let you get strung up by these scared sheep. At least not if I can help it, And my two friends Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson will back me up. :angry:

Edited by Eyremon

OOC Well, the votes thus far...

who ====> voted for

Katzaniel/Katharine ===> Eyremon/Cooper

MeThinksUFoolish/Wetherby ===> Dean/Cuthbert

Vahk/Vahktang ===> Gnarlitch/Wil

Sabre/Worthington ===>

Degenero Angelus/Sir Alfred ===> Eyremon/Cooper

Tamaranis/James ===>

Ozymandias/Marcus ===> Dean/Cuthbert

Nave/Norfolk ===> Elwen/Lady Galanor

Lady Celes/Elisabeth ===> Eyremon/Cooper

Matteo/Gavin ===> Dean/Cuthbert

Dean/Cuthbert ===> MeThinksUFoolish/Wetherby

Elwen/Lady Galanor ===> Nave/Norfolk

Eyremon/Cooper ===>Matteo/Gavin

Gnarlitch/Wil ===>

You still have about 20 hours to vote or try changing your fellow guest's mind...

Edited by Tanuchan

Katharine is visibly taken aback by Edwyn's remarks. "Mr. Cooper, I am shocked! No one has said anything about killing the poor chemist. Obviously you are much too used to this being a method of solving problems. I was just saying that of all the people in this room, it certainly looks to me like you had the means at your disposal. I'm sorry if I've offended you, but it was just speculation. If we don't keep our minds busy with something else in these terrible times, we might all go crazy. You yourself have made idle accusations."

The elderly woman pauses for breath, but not long enough to give Edwyn a chance to respond just yet. "Which, by the way, was not the reason given by any of us for suspecting you. Ms. Christie mentioned that you spoke poorly of Sir Garnavon, and Sir Peterson was concerned about your origins - not that I think it's a good reason for suspecting someone, but valid given that most of us know each other's personality very well. Which brings me to your attack on "our butcher". Marcus would never hurt anybody! He took up that profession as a way to make money only. As for killing people for a living, no amount of money excuses that in my mind."

Finished her spiel, Katharine looks patiently at Edwyn for his reply.

Elisabeth Christie shrugs whe she sees Katharine Horton arguing with Edwyn Cooper.

- Mrs Horton, I am afraid that you are waisting your time trying to put common sense in this thick skull of his. Obviously, he doesn't care about the late events and he's showing it in the most obnoxious way he can.

Your are right Ma'am I have killed before. I will probebly kill again. That is my choosen vocation. I have killed more men then I care to remember. I plan to keep killing. I have killed men in africa for your country, I have killed men in asia for my country and i have killed men in the americas for the hell of it. I have yet to kill in europe. Has anyone one else here ever killed anyone?

<silence>

well it is expected that the killer wouldn't speak up.

Ma'am Mr. Holmes should have been here by now. It didn't take me this long to get here and I live down the street from Mr. Holmes and Mr. Watson. He is probebly being held up by Scotland Yard. What would you do with the person that we agree on as the suspect. ask them politely to please wait while the police are summoned. Ma'am we are dealing with people who have killed once. they will kill again. I for one am willing to kill the person we accuse in an effort to save us all. If that person is me. So be it. This has effectively become a battle between the innocent party goers. that includes me. And the assasians. Blood will need to be shed to protect the innocent. Mr. Watson will tell you that much. He has seen battle in the Boer Wars. He has been in africa where they attack in the night.

We must do what we must to survive.

And if your afraid of being caught up in a scandle then i am sorry to tell you that it is too late. I will have you know that I came upon my fortune by traveling. Mercenaries, don't make any money. Hell sometimes they don't even bury you! :angry:

Everyone is a suspect Ma'am even you. Mr. Holmes will tell you that. Your son, as I am sure wouldn't hurt a fly, I am just as sure that cows and pigs would disagree.

unless most of you change your accusation their will be nothing gained but a vacent room and heavy hearts. I know you are accusing innocent people

Upon seeing the seething outbursts come in the wake of his mother's arguements, Marcus tries a different tack with the soldier.

"Mr. Cooper, please. Be reasonable. I understand that you're offended, perhaps even worried by this whole affair. I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't. " Indeed, the butcher wrung his hands slightly even as he spoke. "We're all flummoxed by the awful thing, but we shouldn't go planning further death yet. After all, doesn't the church teach to love your enemy? Whatever gulf may exist between our countries is a least bridged by fear of God, isn't it?" He paused a moment to let his fellow unfortunate reply, but when Cooper only gave him a critical look and waited, Marcus went on.

"We're all folks of good mind or better. We should be able to come up with a better solution than that. Surely we can find some way to keep all of us safely enclosed until Holmes arrives, and leave the killer no chance to strike again"

He frowned again, looking every inch the heartsick father he was for a moment "- at least without warning," he finished.

"Mother was right, as always. Mother, Mr. Cooper, please, let's share a drink and think this thing through. Wetherby? Would you mind?"

"Oy, fo' chrissakes people, runnin' round throwin' accusations like they' darts. I's obvious the 'merican boy di' it, we aint 'ad no prollems wit' murdrers 'round these parts, then 'e comes an' shows up, an' fine men star' dyin'. Yer all a bunch'a bloody fools if ya can' see da connection..."

The old man stutters to a halt, and looks around, trying to plead with the other guests.

Once again the obvious is lost.

granted you didn't have murders until I came. were their murders around here before the georgian came?

what about before 4:30?

What If I was left handed?

I would expect this from the germans but from the "civilized" engligh. ha

But if my showing up and people dying is what it takes to convict somebody here the what the hell Yes I did it. <dryly> I am the super scary assasain who kills people in the night. run run quick or I will get you. oh ya I also eat kittens. now I am truely evil. oh you are all doomed.

go ahead. what do you want to do with me lock me up in the Basement.

will that make you ALL feel safer.

<mocking> Well at least the american is in the basement. i guess we're all safe now. Lets have some Tea. Pip Pip and Jolly-o and all that other lummox.

At least in the basement I won't have to hear your screams in the morning when you find someone else Dead. I know in the morning if I live to see it I will not be feeling bad about what I did today. I know I tried to do what was best for everyone.

Edited by Eyremon

Marcus clenches and unclenches his fists as he glares at Edwyn.

"See here, Mister Cooper! Giving us all up for dead *and* insulting our country is ungentlemanly in the extreme! I, for one, have not given up on this mystery coming to a safe and just end, and I'm just a butcher! Not some preening soldier of fortune! So shut up, and grow some backbone!"

yes marcus. I am insulting your country. What I have experienced consists of being accused of murder because I showed up. I spoke up and spoke my mind about everyone including Lizzie and as a result I am accused of murder. So hell ya I will insult your country. nobody sees this as real yet. guess what it is real and it is coming home. do you still think the chemist did it Marcus? Do you truely think that I did it? or do you think I am egging everyone so they try to see what is happening. Go head lock me in a basement. do whatever. hell i even confessed.

but remember one thing. this will not end with me. and like it or not the police and Mr Holmes are not coming for a while.

"Gentlemen!!!" Wetherby's voice cut the noise and all turned to look at him. They were used to him silently handing out drinks and the abrupt sound of his voice startled them. Setting down the tray he walked over to the American, and forced him in a chair.

"Now you listen to me" he said, pointing his finger in Cooper's face. "You're all acting like dogs, fighting over a slab of meat. Fighting with emotion won't work, accusing those you dislike will only get yourself killed in the end. Fight with logic if you want to live. Look at those with motives and the means to kill. Those with access to the murder weapon." he said, eyeing the doctor.

"Getting lectured by the help, of all things" Marcus sighed. Wetherby walked over to him and slapped him on the face. Marcus was stunned.

"I served in the Navy for 8 years and i'm as good as a man as you. I'm in the same danger as you all, both from the assasians and the accusers." he said, eyeing the doctor once again. "My vote stands."

Edited by MeThinksUFoolish

"The butler said it well. We should be trying to use our brains. I hope we are all finished trying to provoke everyone else." Katharine glances at Edwyn but only for a moment. "Mr. Cooper claimed to be trying to provoke us into thinking. Well, I'm all for reason. What is your reasoning behind accusing Mr. Doyle? And Mr. Cuthbert, why do you suspect the butler? We are all in a mess, but I do hope we can sort this out before Mr. Holmes gets here, and I'm sure that will be presently. I really doubt we need to all become murderers to do it, either. That's probably exactly what the killer wants."

Marcus rubs his cheek after the surprisingly solid blow.

"I misjudged you, Wetherby. You're a much stronger man than I knew." He lowers his hand, revealing the livid red welt that matched his nose quite well. "I apologize- it slipped out. I seem to be doomed to rash behavior today."

Meanwhile, his silent pride in Katherine's strength as well grew. She had handled the past two days so much better than he had! Damn, having her son go all weak-kneed at the very worst moment would *not* help things!

Elisabeth Christie is outraged by the calamities shouted by Edwyn Cooper.

- Is everything that comes out of your mouth have the stench of scandal? I pity you since the only way you found to defend yourself is to speak ill of our country. What you call "being truthful", I call being arrogant.

The socialite nods at Wetherby's outbursts.

- While your logic of accusing Mr. Cuthbert is irreproachable, I still stand by my word and still thinks that this obnoxious would-be man points at Edwyn might be hired by someone to do this horrible task.