The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf III: The Case of Garnavon Hall

Tanuchan

OOC Fast Tally

James Doyle (Tamaranis) ==> 2 votes

Edwyn Cooper (Eyremon) ==> 3 votes

Still missing 2 votes. Day phase ends in about 26 hours or as soon as everybody has voted.

Our new NPC's...

George Worthington (X-Sabre) ==> tavern owner, attending a sick relative out of town

Gavin Doyle (Matteo) ==> Philosophy major with minor in English, attending his lady so as to keep his hide whole ;)

Edited by Tanuchan

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Katharine is looking very tired and pale, as the days go on she is beginning to droop more and more. She turns to Wil, as she has many times in the day or two.

"Wil, you told us straight off that you haven't seen anyone else's guilt or innocence. You have no way of knowing that the two remaining females are innocent, as you keep asserting, and you have no way, beyond what the rest of us can also see, of knowing anyone's guilt."

Looking back to the rest of the crowd, Katharine continues.

"That said, I don't believe that Ms. Christie is guilty, though I keep an eye out for her as I do for everyone. And obviously I do not suspect myself. But I think that point needed to be made, Wil. You have given us reason to believe in you. No one else is beyond the possibility of guilt. Lady Galanodel, supposedly frail and helpless, has proven that to us."

"The votes of the dead are useless to us: Mr. Cuthbert voted for the butler and then changed that to himself, but before he could possibly have seen any evidence. Mr. Norfolk voted twice for the Lady Galanodel, who voted twice for Mr. Norfolk. Mr. Vahktang voted for our seer and our baner respectively, and our baner voted first for Mr. Cooper and then for Wil. But again, that first vote was before he could have known anything."

"I turn then to the votes of the living. The butler agreed with the rest of you about the chemist's guilt, and the second day voted for the stableboy. A plausible tactic for a hidden assassin. The stableboy cast the deciding vote, as you say, against Mr. Norfolk and then refrained from voting. Plausible tactic, but poor I think. Very obviously connecting himself to the guilty by refusing to condemn her. I can't help but think that he, like so many of you, simply had trouble throwing away the frail image of the woman. My son has voted twice for the deceased but innocent, poor boy, obviously having trouble not following the crowd. More than any of you I trust Marcus, though he may have chosen poorly. Wil himself accused the chemist the first night, before turning to and sticking to the Lady. Ms. Christie voted for Mr. Cooper, Mr. Norfolk and Lady Galanodel. Also a possible tactic. Voting against a cohort and then when death is inevitable, accusing her along with the rest of us. And Mr. Cooper himself."

Katharine looks directly at Edwyn.

"You voted for two different people who had no real evidence for or against them. Good, innocuous accusations, neither with or against the rest of us. Then when there was no other choice you voted for Lady Galanodel. You would make a good companion for the Lady, someone opposite in temperament."

Appealing now to Wil and the rest, Katharine finishes her long spiel.

"The excitable Mr. Cooper has claimed to protect us, and then allowed himself to say out loud that his 'plan has failed'. He accused himself! What innocent would do that? Either he is an assassin or he wants them to succeed. My votes I have not yet tallied: I voted for Mr. Cooper the first night, on nothing more than vague suspicion that is true, but then twice for what was in my mind a clearly guilty woman. And now I am holding firm in my accusation of the guilty American."

my plan ms. Katherine was to have the assasain strike me down. giving Wil another night of seeing. I made a big deal about being the protector knowing that the true protector would not beleive me and hopefully protect wil. I beleive I had everybody exept two of you fooled. obviously the protector knew I was lying, but apparently so did the assasain. So you see. my plan failed. I was not the victim of the assasain. I have not brought Wil any more time since he made it clear he had second sight that is why I have failed. now get on with the voting, and bring me a priest.

Arrg, my simple mind.

"Maybe i can understand if you were trying to protect Wil, who wouldn't do their best to in this situation, he is our best hope of surviving this ordeal. What i don't understand is how you hoped to do it. You laim to have no training as an assaisin, or with potions, or with the second sight, and yet you still think you can stop this lone assasian. you americans are arrogant. and then when your supposed "plan" fails, you accuse yourself. How is that supposed to help? no what you say doesn't make sense, there must be some other explaination, and until you can tell us what it is, my vote stys with you, i urge the others to change theres as well," Wetherby sat down, his speech finished.

Ed made this plan known to me before last night's assassination, hence, I believe him innocent. And, better than innocent, a hero, who has put his own life at risk in order to save mine and the "true" protector. His was a plan of distraction. He was also the first to come to my aid when needed.

Sadly, the assassins must have already guessed the identity of the "true" protector, Sir Alfred, when they tried and failed to assassinate him on the second night. Hence, knowing his protective nature, laid a trap for him to fall into when he tried to protect myself last night.

I know that this is my last day living on this earth unless we find the last assassin this day. I also know that if you choose to arrest Ed instead of Doyle, you are as good as signing my own death warrant. I am willing to stake my life on Ed's innocence and Doyle's guilt.

Doyle knew exactly when Lady Clarice left on her horse and when she was expected back. He was the one to saddle her horse for her. He is also the one to argue against us trying to fing the killers amongst us after the Lord's death. He did not want us seeking for the assassins, but wanted more freedom to do his evil work instead. Wait for the proper authorities? Hah! We would all have been slughtered in our sleep if left up to him.

And remember, Doyle leapt to protect Emily when the vote had a chance of going against her. He instead chose to take down one he knew to be innocent. HE KNEW CUTHBERT WAS INNOCENT! BECAUSE HE HIMSELF WAS AND IS AN ASSASSIN!

I'll not deny the possibility that I am wrong here. It is possible that the killer be Weatherby, or Marcus, or even Ms. Christie. *points at each in turn* But all the evidence I have found points to Doyle first, and Weatherby as a possible suspect if it is not Doyle.

*stands directly in front of Weatherby* But hear this. Edwyn stood by me first when others of you doubted. He has been my friend for years. We even served in Africa together. As such, we share a bond. And, as such, if you would do him harm you must first go through me!

OOC:getting a bit confused with there being two "Doyles". I am referring to James/Tamaranis, not Gavin/Matteo in my ranting, although I think I may have confused what each said into one person in there somewhere. *shrugs*

Edited by Gnarlitch

Katharine is once again shaking her head, obviously confused. "My mind is in turmoil, Wil. I understand what you are saying up to the point where Mr. Cooper accused himself. This is contrary to any logic I can fathom. If innocent, why allow yourself to be thought guilty when you can do more good by revealing your failed plan and working together with the rest of us? But you obviously trust him deeply, and if you spoke to him earlier about the plan then it was not through lack of being able to see it that way that he gave himself up."

The elderly woman closes her eyes and sighs deeply. "I still think you're wrong about the stableboy. The tactic is much too clunky and obvious for these assassins. I've said it before and I'm not afraid to reiterate: From the start we have jumped upon the obvious. He would not want to associate himself with her in such an obvious manner. If the young Mr. Doyle were the killer, he should instead of remained silent the first night, or even better cast the deciding vote against his partner. He would have gained our unwavering trust, would he not? What better way to kill us all? As a trained assassin he would have no loyalty to the woman in general but whatever cause it is for which he believes himself to be fighting. I cannot believe that accusing him is going to be the way to save you, Wil. Instead, I must cast my suspicions elsewhere for the time being."

OOC: A changed vote for MeThinksUFoolish - Wetherby Danielson

Well, thats nice to know, when your not sure who to vote for, everyone just randomly decides to vote for the butler. Well thats reassuring. Could we get serious here and vote for the ones likely to be killers. What reason do i have to be a killer? There is no motive for me. Please if we want to catch these killers we must use logic. I've been convinced for the most part by Mr. Cooper and i will change back to my earlier suspiscion of Mr. Doyle.

OOC: James Doyle

Elisabeth listened carefully to the discussions and takes mental notes of everything, she decided that it was time to let everyone known her opinion about the whole situation.

- Mrs. Horton, I do find that your vote analysis is interesting but I would like to mention that, since I was grasping at straws, prejudices guided my first two votes. When Wil clearly stated that he "saw" Emily doing her evil work along with her accomplice, I decided to trust his word and vote along what he said. While I heavily despise the American, I do belive him when he said he wanted to attract the murdurer the attention of the other assassin away from our protectors.

She makes a brief pause and resumes her speech.

- Of course, I am aware that I am a suspect like everyone else who are still living here. My only crime is to not behave always as appropriatly as a lady of my social status should. But I will side along everyone else and accuse James Doyle to be Emily's accomplice.

((OOC: James Doyle/Tamaranis))

"I am deeply offended at the accusation of having no reason behind my vote. I have gone over every piece of logic behind it and feel it is backed quite solidly. I am disappointed that there is going to have to be two more deaths before this can be sorted out. I am sorry Wil. I am positive you have gotten it wrong this time around, and so we will probably not see you in the morning. As such, I hope we can all take Wil's second intuition and see the butler's guilt. He does not defend himself against any of my speculations but instead claims I used no logic. Wetherby, how can you say that everyone uses you as a default vote when this is only the second time you have been accused? Since I am almost certain that every other person is innocent, and your tactic has been a good one for an assassin to have taken, I believe you are guilty. Someone has been doing these murders, and you do have access to the mansion that others do not."

Katharine goes to Wil and hugs him. "You were a good boy, Wil. I hope that the assassin finds some reason let you live tonight, even it were to mean my own death. Perhaps my demise would help the rest of you choose wisely and rid yourselves of this threat, and in that case I would glady accept that fate. Watch your dreams carefully, Wil, in case you do live. Most of all know that you did all you could. I really hope you are not mistaken."

To the rest, she says, "We should all sleep outside of Wil's door tonight. Perhaps we could protect him that way, by watching each other carefully. We could take shifts of two or even three to guard the door. And, if we fail he might at least call out a name to help us avenge him by. If only he did not have to wager his life on tonight's accusation. I pray that I have been wrong in my assessment."

If I die this night it will be with a clean conscience and with my eyes open. I know what I do and in Whom I trust. As such I have no fear of death. My only fear is in not doing my utmost to serve and protect my fellow man. This does not mean, however, that I will lie down and die quietly. If I am to die tonite I will die fighting up until my very last breath. And on the morrow, look for my foe, for he will bear the mark of my sword! :hmm:

Lestrade and Watson seem quite at a loss when several of the guests enter at the same time at the library, one accusing the other until Lestrade shouts asking for silence.

"So what is happening here, gentlemen?"

"James Doyle. The stable boy. It must be him," asserts Elisabeth. "We have discussed this already, Mrs. Horton," cuts her. "Accusing the butler just proves that you're too much into novels."

"Yes. He had the means and the excuses," agrees Wil, proceeding to explain his reasoning while others nod at his words.

After some time, Lestrade listens and nods, sending then someone after the stable boy. Meanwhile, Holmes keeps to himself apparently lost in thoughts.

"So, Holmes. What do you think? Wil is coherent in his deductions."

"He may be coherent, but it does not make him right, Watson. I wonder where James is. I couldn't find him this morning, and no one has seen him since yesterday. I did want to talk to him."

Soon it's clear that James isn't anywhere in the house or the stables, and servants are dispatched to see if they can find him.

It's not much later that Holmes, Lestrade, and Watson gaze at James' body, in a lane not far from the last stable. When Holmes turns it, they see his face...

"A horse!" gasps Lestrade, recognizing a horseshoe-shaped wound in the sunken part of the unfortunate boy's face. "What an unfortunate accident!"

Watson ignores Lestrade as he follows Holmes' eyes to a horse grazing nearby. Without a word, they nod at each other and near the white horse slowly. Holmes carefully examines its hind hooves.

Lestrade, approaching, whistles.

Horseshoes glint in the sunset... bloody, and silvered.

OOC James Doyle/Tamaranis was an innocent villager. It's Night Phase. Wolf/Seer, please send your PMs. Day phase starts in 24 hours or as soon as I get the PMs I need.

OOC As there was missing just one vote, and it wouldn't make any difference in the final result (although being the victim's vote), I decided to end day phase earlier. Hope you don't mind :)

If I get the PMs early, I should be able to start next day phase tomorrow early afternoon.

Resigned, Wil walks back to his room in silence. He is gone for just long enough for everyone to begin to speculate what he is doing when he returns carrying not the expected shotgun, but a sword. And not just any sword, but the silvered cavalry saber once belonging to Sir Alfred. He has also donned his old army uniform, with full honors, including his Order of Merit.

Wil *looking at the sword* I seem ta 'ave lost mine in the Sudan. This one belonged to his lordship, Sir Alfred. They killed him and likely I'm next. Mayhaps 'is sword 'll help me tho'. *looks each man in the eye in turn* Iff'n ya wants me I'll be waiting fer yez atop the north tower.

Edited by Gnarlitch

Elisabeth is seated on a desk in a Library, writing the fourth letter to Mr. Christie.

My beloved husband,

Unless the assassin has a sick sense of humor, Wil will be probably slained this night. We found the stableboy dead along with Sir Alfred Peterson, who apparently, was the only one who could have help preventing the deaths.

However, besides Wil, I am not sure about whom is innocent among us. I do find Marcus Horton's behavior strange and his voting erratic, compared to his mother's, but then again everyone else is suspicious. However, if anyone dares to accuse me, perhaps I'll have to spill out some less glamourous episodes of my life as my defence.

I am worried that it may be my last letter. I am worried that I could never by your side again. Lady Luck had been kind with me so far but for how long it will last? Will I have the chance to tell you face to face how much I love you?

Hopefully alive for you,

Elisabeth.

The socialite starts to cry silently, while the ink of the letter drie.

Katharine plops herself down in front of the door leading to the North tower. "If anyone would keep watch with me, I would appreciate it, for if I fall asleep and Wil dies, we cannot afford to waste accusations on the one who just happened to be near him."

Looking sadly at Wil, she adds for his benefit, "I am so sorry to have been right about all of this. If only I knew whether I am right about the rest. Try to sleep well, and defend yourself well when or if the time comes." Tears are visible on her cheeks, and she hugs him once more.

OOC As a gift to Wil's courage in revealing his Seeing ability to be able to get a Werewolf, even at the cost of his own life, I asked Gnarlitch to write his death scene. We hope you enjoy the change.

~Tanny

Once Wil arrived at his intended location, the wind-swept top of the northern tower, he paused for some moments in silent contemplation of his situation. He knew his end was nigh, and yet, he felt no fear, at least for himself. He had been given a gift to be used to help serve and protect his fellow beings, and he had done the best he could. However, at this moment more than at any other time in his life, he felt that his best had not been sufficient.

With this thought, he knelt down for prayer.

Some time later, in the dead of night, still he was alone atop the tower. Mayhaps he had chosen this site too well and the assassin had decided to find easier prey this night. There was only one entrance onto this tower, through a trap door set into the tower roof. that is, one entrance unless one could either fly like a bird or climb like a spider. In his time he had known one or two men who might have made that climb in daylight with the proper equipment, but none who could have done it on a windy night such as this. And still he waited....

Sometime in the small hours of the morning, not long before the sun would peek above the lovely mountains to the east, he heard a faint scraping noise and shook himself back to full alertness. Standing before him was a shadowed form, the face hidden in the deep recesses of a shadowy cowl.

Wil *standing up and drawing his sword* At last you come. I was beginning to suspect you were afraid.

??? I? Afraid of YOU? Surely you jest.

Wil You should be afraid, cowering cur that you are. Sneak theif and back-stabber, unable to face a man in honest combat.

??? Trying to make me kill you quickly? No matter, quick or slow, you shall die this night, and tomorrow I shall kill again, and again after that.

Wil But me first.

??? Yes, you first. But I see that there is something you want from me first. Speak up man. What is it?

Wil I have just one question. Why?

??? Why what? Why you? You already...

Wil NO! Not why me. That is obvious. No. Why here? Why now? What makes you chose this time and place for your evil plots? Is it revenge? Money? Love?

??? You might say love had something to do with it, and hate. Money as well as I am to be paid handsomely for all of this. But, it all comes down to one simple thing. Fame. I am to be the man to kill the famous Sherlock Holmes.

Wil All of these lives wasted simply to draw Holmes here so you could kill him?

??? Yes. We knew he would come here to investigate the murders of his so called friends. The wretch has been after our Order for some time now. He has gotten too close on more than one occasion. So, it was decided that it was time for action. The time and location were selected for the greatest impact. Also, out here in the country with no witnesses to speak of, we could write the story to suit our needs.

Wil But first you have to get by me. And I shan't roll over just because your bloody Order wishes it.

??? I would have been disappointed otherwise. Shall we?

Wil Let us dance then, you and I.

With that the assassin cast off his heavy cloak and drew his own sword. Then began the dance of steel. The music was that of fine Toledo made steel meeting the finest steel of the British Empire. The blades flashed in the moonlight as they lunged and parried, thrust and reposte. Wil, never more than an adequate swordsman, knew he was facing a master. As such he wondered how he had survived this long. Was the assassin toying with him? After he over-extended himself and left himself wide for a counter-attack that never came, he was sure of it.

Wil What game is this we play? Am I a mouse for you to toy with?

??? My my my, finally you catch on. Shall I end my little charade?

Wil Finish it and be damned!

With that the assassin attacked with as yet unseen fury and skill. Soon Wil was bleeding form a dozen minor scratches, and at least one major cut. He barely avoided being skewered by tripping over his own feet and almost falling off the edge of the tower. Next, he received a cut to his forearm making it impossible for him to hold his sword. Yet his adversary stopped and waited for him to regain his sword and prepare to use his other hand. It was hopeless.

Then, he remembered one lesson his banner sergeant had tries to tell him at one time..."Every man must choose for himself when it is time to sheath the sword." He had thought the man half-mad at the time, but now he understood. Sometimes the goal was more important than ones own life. At that time you must do what is necessary....

As the assassin left the top of the tower he looked back and shook his head. Why had that crazy bastard attacked in that manner? Sure, he had drawn blood for the first time, but only a minor wound at the cost of his own death. Walking away, he held a handkerchief to his side to staunch the bleeding. It wouldn't do to leave the detectives a trail to follow back to his rooms.

Meanwhile, back on the roof, Wil lay dead in a spreading pool of his own blood but with a smile on his face.....

:wolf:

OOC

Wil/Gnarlitch was the Seer. It's day phase! You have48 hours, or as soon as I get all votes, to investigate one more murder and pick your suspect to present to Mr.Holmes.

~~Tanny

Meanwhile, at the lower doorway to the tower, Katherine sleeps peacefully and unaware that death has passed her by. Death was not unaware of her presence for he left a caliing card sitting on the side table next to her. It is the ornate tray from a silver tea service. Laying on it, instead of the tea service, however, is a fresh human heart...Wil's heart as a matter of fact. When she finally wakes, she wakes screaming in horror, rousing the entire house.

OOC: Just had to add that side note in as the Assassin requested a silver tray as the weapon of death and I had already written the previous story. So... :demon:

OOC: ARRGH i have to rewrite it!

Mrs. Christe hastilly grabs a robe when she heard Katharine's screaming. Lestrade, Holmes and Watson were already in the vicinity. The good doctor attends the retired teacher while Holmes looks at the tray. Lestrade witholds the other guest and told them the grim news. Then he ordered that everyone goes to the dining room. Marcus helps his mother, who is still shaken, to walk over the designated room.

Elisabeth, along with the survivors were seated in the dining room, looking at each other. The socialite looks at her surroudings with a thoughts on every one. A retired teacher who made deductions on her own, did succesfully pointed out one of the assassins. Her son, a butcher, who voted often against her mother's opinion, especially on critical times. Weatherby, the butler who is apparently didn't liked his masters. Then, there's the arrogant American who Wil appears to fraternize a lot, could he had betrayed his best friend? So many questions but yet, not enought clues.

- He was a brave man. Revealing himself even if he knows that he sacrifice his life. May he rest in peace. Now, we must think about who shall be interrogated by Mr. Holmes. In my mind, two persons are standing out as likely suspects: Mr. Horton and Weatherby. But I don't want to point finger in haste. This one must be a thought out choice because either we find the killer and the other innocents are safe, either we end up jeopardising everyone's safety. I really would like to hear everyone's opinion, this will give an opportunity for everyone to defend.

OOC: Scorecard

Who's alive and suspicious...

Katharine Horton (Katzaniel) ==> , retired schoolteacher

Wetherby Danielson (MeThinksUFoolish) ==> Sir Cecil Garnavon's butler

Marcus Horton (Ozymandias) ==> a butcher (Katharine's son)

Elisabeth Christie (Lady Celes) ==> well-known socialite

Edwyn Cooper (Eyremon) ==> American soldier/merc just back from Africa

NPC status...

George Worthington (X-Sabre) ==> tavern owner

Gavin Doyle (Matteo) ==> Philosophy major with minor in English

Who's unfortunately passed away...

Sir Garnavon, first NPC kill

Vincent Cuthbert (Dean) ==> doctor of Chemistry

Lady Clarice, second NPC kill

John Norfolk (Nave) ==> merchant

Shota Vahktang (Vahktang) ==> Georgian gentleman

Lady Emily Galanodel (Elwen) ==> first Werewolf assassin

Sir Alfred Peterson (Degenero Angelus) ==> the Baner

James Doyle (Tamaranis) ==> stableboy at Garnavon Hall

Wil (Gnarlitch) ==> the Seer

Edited by Tanuchan

Katharine is not to be seen most of the morning after the most unfortunate awakening. When she finally comes back into the company of the others, just in time to hear Ms. Christie's comments, she is bleary eyed and holding a drastically emptied bottle of her favourite wine. Noticing the others, she hastily sets it down, more tears falling from her tired eyes. She runs a hand through her ruffled hair and a leaf falls to the ground.

Marcus, who had spent a little time trying to find her, rushes up and tries to comfort her. She lets him, but her eyes go slightly dim. Finally, Katharine brushes him off and speaks.

"I have been thinking long and hard this morning. Although we all knew Wil would probably die this night, it has struck me harder than even the manner of its presentation should have done. I have been pondering the murderer's identity to no avail. Given Wil's second announced suspicion, and my own conclusions, I greatly suspect Mr. Danielson. I don't know what to think about Mr. Cooper or Ms. Christie, but they had both gained Wil's trust - perhaps he dreamed of them but declined to tell us in order to save them. On the other hand... Marcus. Marcus, you have always been the joy of my life, helping me when I need it. Oh why does this suspicion track and hunt us all! Marcus I trust you immensely. Which is why I think I must withhold my vote today. I can no longer trust myself to think impartially, and that is what is most needed for us right now. I can't think that you could possibly do it - especially in so gruesome a manner - but then what mother could? What if I am wrong? What..."

She collapses into a crying heap on the floor. Marcus takes a step toward her and she flees out of the room and, for anyone who cared to watch, into the maze.

Methinksyoufoolish One of the top two on my list. Didn't vote last round, possibly to keep from giving himself away by not voting against Elwen, BUT, in the second round, with Elwen tied for the lead his vote was for someone not in the runing. he could have changed to Nave to protect Elwen and he didn't. Once again, it could just have been to keep distance between himself and his partner, but with his partners life on the line, I don't buy it. #2 on list.

Wetherby Danielson gets my vote. as Wil suspected him on his own list.

We only have until tomarrow to capture the assasain until they walk free. Now more then ever must we keep our wits about ourselves. Ms. Horton the reason I voted for myself yesterday morning was out of grief for my failure. Wetherby did have the motive and the opportunities to kill everyone. and I hope that everyone does keep their wits about them and does vote instead of tarrying with their thaughts and accusations.

I am to be the man to kill the famous Sherlock Holmes.

Wil All of these lives wasted simply to draw Holmes here so you could kill him?

Kewl.

Meanwhile, at the lower doorway to the tower, Katherine sleeps peacefully and unaware that death has passed her by. Death was not unaware of her presence for he left a caliing card sitting on the side table next to her. It is the ornate tray from a silver tea service. Laying on it, instead of the tea service, however, is a fresh human heart...Wil's heart as a matter of fact. When she finally wakes, she wakes screaming in horror, rousing the entire house.

Way Kewl.

While reading the latest I imagined a tour of the estate 100 years later.

Tour Guide: "Yes, this tower was the scene of the most grisly murder. Despite the fact of guards at the door..."

More later,

Vahktang