The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

New Friend contest

Okay, first things first. If you already knowe me, don't enter.

I'm looking for a new friend. If you don't know me, feel free to enter the contest. Send a biographic paragraph or so to me in a PM. You know nothing about me other than what you can find from looking on the Pen's website. Don't ask anyone you know who knows me, please, it would ruin the equality. I'll open entries until next Friday, September 12th. I'll announce the winner on September 14th, the following Sunday.

Thank you, and good luck.

Deg

:butterfly:

This would be the spot where I jump in I guess. Hi! :)

I have been wandering this site for a couple of weeks, peeking into closets, opening up desk drawers, looking behind curtains. Very interesting place. Some of you people I know. Others I will get to know :flower:

As I told Peredhil-I am not exactly creative. I am better known for leaving jokes behind when I go. I like to think I lighten someones day that way. If this is a not a good place for my humor, kindly direct me to the proper well and I shall drown myself. Unfortunately, I do not go quietly, as those who know me, know well.

Anyhoo for my first attempt at humor (and no they are not my made up jokes-just jokes I pick up along my travels)

Inner Strength

If you can start the day without caffeine or pep pills,

If you can be cheerful, ignoring aches and pains,

If you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,

If you can eat the same food everyday and be grateful for it,

If you can understand when loved ones are too busy to give you time,

If you can overlook when people take things out on you when,

through no fault of yours, something goes wrong,

If you can take criticism and blame without resentment,

If you can face the world without lies and deceit,

If you can conquer tension without medical help,

If you can relax without liquor,

If you can sleep without the aid of drugs,

If you can do all these things,

Then you are probably the family dog.

Hmm.

I've been reflecting on this since you started the thread...

In my life and experience, what finally worked for me was to quit waiting for others to be my friend, to discover my depths, to find out how neat some parts of me are, and how repellent I find other facets of my being.

Instead, I choose people with whom I want to be friends. It's a choice and a decision, a commitment to acceptance and mutual exploration. Then I set out to be their friend. I've found that many people just don't know how to be a friend to someone, and expect the other person to really do all the work, while they sit back like a judge, accepting or denying as each word or action comes in.

Friendship for me isn't like that.

Those of you (and there are many at the Pen), know how I think a friend should be, because you've received it as an example. Commitment up front, for friends will bump and bruise each other, and the wary heart has to know the other person will hang around long enough for moving on and healing. Honesty in communications, not holding back to "protect" the other person, but rather trusting that they'll not flee. Offering feedback about the other that judges actions and words, but not the person. Many people, even toward themselves, can't separate those. They're caught in the "I did something bad, I'm a bad person" trap, instead of the more hopeful, "I did something bad, but I'm a basically good person. Let me learn from it and try not to do it again."

As my Mom told me, "You have to be a friend to have a friend, even during the times you don't feel like it."

Peredhil hugs again.

Alrighty, time to come clean.

While I was looking for new friends, since one can never have enough, that wasn't the true purpose of this thread.

I was mostly trying to see how open the members of the Pen I don't know would be to getting to know me. Now, there are 207 members. I'm friends with, probably, 20. So that leave 187.

Out of 187 members that I don't know very well, I had *one* person that I didn't know even try to send me a message. I'm kind of dissapointed with the results, but *shrugs*

Thanks to all my friends who posted for reminding me just how many of you there are here. Thanks to Savannah for trying to be friendly, and here's to our budding friendship.

Don't forget to subtract the inactive ones from the 187...

The Pen doesn't delete accounts. I suspect some people at some point in time have made a "temporary" account to feel us out, and then finally made the account they wish to keep. Plus there are some who for one reason or another only come by once a year, if that.

As the Weenie Awards at the last site showed, at any given time we have an average of 30% of the registered accounts active - if we're lucky.

So to be fair, of the roughly 67 accounts currently active/semi-active, you've only been ignored by about 59 people. :)

Oh Wow :)

Look at it this way Deg

You are important enough to be ignored by that many people!!!!

I am sure our friendship will grow -all any friendship needs is a little attention and a lot of understanding.

A young chef decided that the French would enjoy feasting on rabbits and decided to raise them in Paris and sell them to the finer restaurants in the city. He searched all over Paris seeking a suitable place to raise his rabbits. None could be found. Finally, an old priest at the cathedral said he could have a small area behind the rectory for his rabbits. He successfully raised a number of them, and when he went about Paris selling them, a restaurant owner asked him where he got such fresh rabbits. The young man replied, "I raise them myself, near the cathedral. In fact, I have ... a hutch back of Notre Dame.

*shrug*

i avoided this one not out of an unwillingness to get to know you, or to be your friend, but because i have huge issues with feeling forced to "earn" or "compete" for friendship. i simply don't work that way.. either i'm your friend or i'm not, but if i have to compete for the honor, chances are i'm not.

i'm more than willing to *be* your friend, on an equal and open basis. i'm *not* willing to compete for it, which is why i avoided this thread and all that it entailed until now.

*nods* I took the fact that some people would be hesitant for those reasons, Alaeha and Ayshela, in the paper I wrote.

I guess something like this isn't exactly what the Pen is geared for, but I'm not a member of any other group of sufficient size. So I appologize to anyone who may have been upset, offended, or otherwise negatively affected by this thread.

The paper I wrote that contains my finding will be up on the internet within a few days. It was for a Theology class, studying how people from different places, creeds, and cultures would interact with a perfect stranger that wasn't a part of any of those. It was meant to bring out a bit of human nature, but I hadn't taken into account that the Pen is a much more mature place than most. I'd counted on the human's competitive nature taking over. I was wrong.

I'm more than willing to be friends with *anyone* who would like to be a friend of mine, as the people who are already my friends will know.

LOL

more apt to be offended over being used, frankly.

i do understand why you couldn't say why you were making such a suggestion, and why you chose to do so here. but i agree that for any of a number of reasons, this isn't the best place to look for standard reactions from a random subsection of the population.