The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

'Arry Potter!

Potter books missing chapters

AP - Sixteen-year-old Richard Flynn was charging through the 870 pages of the latest Harry Potter book when he got to Chapter 29 and discovered it was Chapter Nine instead. No, this was not a magic trick, but a printing error.

A printing error will cause some of the thousands of Australians who bought "Harry Potter and The Order of the Phoenix" over the weekend to miss out on two crucial chapters, Channel Ten television reported Monday.

Flynn only realized the problem once he was fully immersed in the new book and said when he returned to the bookstore to get another copy the bookstore's representatives told him that others had also complained.

About 10,000 of the 750,000 printed in the first run of the book for Australia and New Zealand would be faulty, Andrew Hawkins, a spokesman for publishing company Allen and Unwin, told Channel Ten.

He apologised for the error.

The latest installment in the Harry Potter series by British author J.K. Rowling is breaking publishing records worldwide and bookstores around the world have scrambled to satisfy the demands of children and adults alike hungry for news of the boy wizard.

Flynn was told it would be another three weeks before he could get a complete copy, Channel Ten reported.

"I won't feel fully satisfied until I read the book," Flynn said, sighing.

©AAP 2003

Oh Yeah?

I was listening to the radio (rare footage) and they reported that, several days before the release date, a trailer transporting 7500 copies of the new Harry Potter book was hijacked en route to distribution. They found the trailer, empty, on the side of the road some time later, but all the books were gone. =D

*pokes her head in while she's got some time to say hello to and give hugs to everyone*

It was a darn good book though...only took me roughly 13 hours to finish (two days if you count time spent sleeping, and interruptions, etc.) Cheers for speed-reading! :rolleyes:

I don't know. I wasn't really interested in reading them until I had to listen to a bunch of my classmates talking about them. I decided to read them just so I wouldn't have to endure them saying, "I can't believe you haven't read them yet!" over and over again. But, lo and behold, I really liked them. Sure, they're simple and easy to read (I got the first four done in a week or so), but the story's pretty good. "Just because it's popular" isn't a good reason to read something, but it's not a good reason not to read something either. I suggest that everyone at least give the books a try. Borrow or buy the first one, read it through (it won't take long, it's a short, quick read), and then decide whether or not to move on. If you like it, read the rest. If not, at least you've made a decision based on the books themselves.

Just my two cents...

Woo-hoo! That's good to know Gyr. ^.^ But yeah, I was just going to point out, despite what it may look like I'm saying (I know, I'm unclear often) it isn't just because they're popular that I don't want to read them, it's just that I have no interest. I submit, that it must be decent for so many people to enjoy them and what-have-you, but it just doesn't interest me.

As for giving it a chance? No, I'd rather not... I realise it's an ignorant attitude, but I reiterate (sp?) I have *no interest* ... I mean, just because lots of people think drinking and getting absolutely smashed is so much fun, that doesn't mean one should do that too?

Humbly walking through the halls of The Pen for a quick visit, he knowticed a slight talk of the new Harry Potter series.. Deciding * why not * , The small kender wanders into to discussion, and says:

Dont know why, dont mind too much, but I have read each H.P. book and seen each H.P. movie.. I find then quite ok.. They arent the greatest, but when bored, and the books there, no harm to pick it up. And I see the movie to see the differences between book & movie, and thats always *fun*.. Well once again, I must depart.. Good Day Pen.. Ciao

Good to see you posting, Tasslehoff :)

I think it's time I 'fessed up - I hadn't read any of the Harry Potter books until last week, and even then it's only because my neice likes 'em for bedtime stories, though I have seen the movies (with her, natch).

:insert shame-faced icon here:

I did, however, find the whole notion of the books being slightly askew to be a perfect example of muggledom. And of interest to Pen members ... yeah, that too ...

Well, I like em, and my Australian copy didn't have any errors. . .I think. Could be the 4 AM factor comming in though.

17 hours starting 12.30PM, what a blast.

I think one appealing thing about the book series is the flashbacks to OLD Enid Blyton (spelling?) books, nameley the Famous Five, Secret Seven (Was this EB?), and a few other classic teenage-investigator series. I really loved those books, and would devour them as fast as I could unearth them.

*shrieks*

oh, the old Enid Blyton books were a hoot!!

i haven't actually read any of the Harry Potter books either. The kids have them all, and barring the one who's dyslexic and has issues reading anyway, they've liked them to greater or lesser degree. i think my SO likes them at least as well as the kids do, to be honest. *G*

i'll probably break down and read them here soon, simply because summer is hectic enough in its own way that having "mindless reading" for late nights is a good thing - something moderately engaging but not so complex that if you put it down you're going to have to re-read the last chapter to figure out where you were again. From all i've seen, Harry Potter qualifies.

Well, although I've yet to read the books (I'll borrow an English copy of the books because the French translations I've seen in a random chapter of the first book simply annoyed me), I don't despise the HP craze. Afterall, we did have to suffer the Pokemon craze.

Sure!

My mom and sister were reading the books since they started coming out, I hadn't read an actual novel in a year or so, and there was this series of five books just laying around...

That was a week ago and I've read them all now.

I expected them to be mildly amusing, but not really engrossing. The fact that they dominated my attention for a week may have something to do with the fact that essentially all my recent reading had been from this site. It's not that the writing here isn't good, but complete novel-length pieces don't show up here all that often.

Anyway, taking them all in one go, I'd say I actually liked the fifth one the best. I think this may be because there was no hype leading up to it for me. I hadn't been waiting for years for it to come along. I finished the fourth one and started the fifth in the same day.

If I really get into discussing it any deeper than that, then I'll be tempted to start mentioning spoilerish details.

I enjoyed all the Harry Potter books. I liked them best to least in this order, 3 4 5 1 2. I would love to discuss them once we open the topic up for discussion. :0)

The thing I liked about the fifth is that usually Harry's main tormentors are Snape and Malfoy and ofcourse He who must not be named. However, snape and malfoy are almost a side note in this book compared to the rest of the plot.

(No, I'm not giving away spoilers.) Plus, they brought Lupin back into the plot. Let's hear it now, "WE LOVE LUPIN!" He's the reason number 3 is my favorite. :0)

Okay no more, I'm too tempted, like Tam, to open up spoilers!!

~Salinye :butterfly: