The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

my application

Sadness

---------------

I look into your eyes,and what do I see?

I see sadness staring back at me

What happened to you so long ago?

Please tell me, I need to know.

Deep brown eyes, so dark,and feral,

They scare me, because I can see your sorrow.

Understanding, and no fear,

I always see sadness lurking near.

If I could have but one regret,

It would be that you will never forget,

The things that happened, that made you cry,

And if I could,I'd ask God why.

I see you staring into space,and I think,

Where are you, the time and place?

What happened, and who is there?

And why were you so very scared?

If I could have but one regret,

It would be that you will never forget,

The things that happened,that made you cry,

And someday, I'll ask God why.

What is it about

the expressiveness

of staring eyes

that so readily claims

and redirects

the gazing of the heart

to the hidden places

and events that linger

in another’s sight,

places our own eyes

have never met

and events that

only through the

distant expressiveness

of staring eyes

impress themselves

upon our lives?

A touching and well-crafted piece of writing. Welcome to the Pen and good luck with your application!

Terrific poem. I especially like the turn of phrase, "If I could have but one regret." My brain's so wired into expecting that statement to end with "wish" instead of "regret", I almost missed it the first time, but the word choice there made me think more carefully about the rest of the poem.

Welcome to The Pen. I hope your stay is long and fruitful. :>)

Edited by Ozymandias the Elder

Elvida rushes to the door of the Recruiter's Office without the slightest hesitation, hyperactively jumping about and joyfully enveloped in the widespread admiration surrounding her. Not bothering to knock on Wyvern's office door and barging it open in her excited state, she doesn't notice a plaque that has been placed on the front of the door which reads:

"Screening Today: The Pen is Mightier then the Sword's Semi-Musical, Semi-Comedy, 100% Commercial-Mascot-Driven Play, 'Peter Pen*'"

*(Note: any similarities drawn between this play and "Peter Pan" are purely coincidental)

Stepping into the office, Elvida notices a large group of people huddled together by a pair of tables located in the far corner of the room, mumbeling to one another quietly in concerned voices... Immediatly seeing that all of the social action seems to be centered in that corner of the room, Elvida heads towards the tables in the hopes of finding the infamous Elder of Initiates there... Upon approaching the large group of people, the eager applicant begins picking up on their discussion... it seemed they were missing an actor of some sort...

Elvida is about to speak up when one of the members of the tightly packed group turns to her and jumps out of his seat in a mixture of shock and delight. Dressed in a director's outfit complete with french barret and classy plaid trousers, the set director looks Elvida over once and exclaims:

"It's a miracle!!! A replacement faerie has arrived! We can finally start the performance!"

A cheer rings out from the crowd and people start putting on their costumes... Elvida stutters "But I-"

"Oh thank the Gods!!!" sobs the director loudly, wiping the tears of joy from his eyes before secretly whispering to Elvida "Listen kiddo... ya got nothing to worry about, it's a very minor roll... all you've gotta do is throw some of this magic eraser dust into the air when we give you the signal. Follow along with this, and we'll accept your pen application..."

Elvida nods to this timidly, her previous enthusiasm now mainly replaced by stage fright. After picking up a bag of "Magic Eraser Dust", the nervous applicant is directed to a set piece of a small island made of pens surrounded by a sea of writing. Not yet visible on the set is a large ship, which is being played by Zool's Rubber Chicken who has become greatly enlarged in size for the occasion... All of the actors are wearing signs around their necks with their character names written on them, and Elvida is handed a sign that reads: "Thinkerswell the Evil Faerie - Thinkerwell Evil Faerie doll only 12 geld!" The product placement in the signs makes it obvious that the play is commercialy driven...

After waiting at the island set for several minutes, Elvida a.k.a Thinkerswell is greeted by the Pen member Big Pointy One, who is disguised in a big pointy Pen outfit and wears a sign that reads "Peter Pen". Nodding to Elvida upon seeing her sign, Peter Pen sits on the island and waits for the action to start...

Suddenly, the lights of the stage dim and the screening commences... The large gallion ship played by Zool's Rubber Chicken slowly rolls out over the waves of the sea of writing, carrying onboard a figure of dreadful demeanor... Dressed in a costume comprised of a vest of Cliff Notes and an "Advanced Calculus" book for a right hand, Arawn laughs a trademark evil villain laugh while displaying the "Captain Book" sign hanging on the front of his overcoat. Peering out across the sea of writing, the captain spots the secluded island of pens and begins carefully aiming his Cannon of Gibberish at it...

Peter Pen is about to start his piece of dialogue when suddenly, the director signals to Elvida to begin tossing the "Magic Eraser Dust" into the air. As the applicant begins doing so, the room quickly fills with dust in a manner that obstructs all vision... something that the set directors hadn't thought of when preparing it. Without any sight or sense of direction, the giant Rubber Chicken ship steers off course and crashes directly through a wall into the midst of an all-you-can-eat buffet, just as people are complaining about the lack of chicken. As would-be buffet diners run off from the enormous chicken in horror, security immediatly calls the nearest "Kentucky Fried Chicken" outlet to deal with the situation.

As the director of the play sighs and stamps Elvida's application "ACCEPTED", Wyvern walks onto the set wearing a sign that reads "Some lizard guy trying to pass for a vicious crocodile" and exclaims "Let me guess... this means I'm not going to be paid for my part, right...?!"

;p

OOC: An ACCEPTED application, Elvida... welcome to the Mighty Pen. :) Be certain to post your e-mail here or contact me at elitwack90@hotmail.com so that I can send you some more Pen info.

• 2 weeks later...