The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Through the Eyes of Another

Snypiuer

I'm working on something right now and am using (with permission) other peoples characters.

I'm trying my best to keep to the canon of their character, but I have been known to God-mode others and that brought to mind an idea:

How do others see our characters? How would someone else write them?

SO, I propose a thread where one can write a short little story using others characters (with permission, of course) to show how that character would be if seen 'Through the eyes of another'.

NONE of the stories would be considered official (they would essentially exist in an alternate Universe), but the owner of the character could use what is written if they like.

Once again, ONLY those characters that their owners CHOOSE to let be used would be fair game.

Once I'm done with what I'm working on now, there are a few characters I'd like to get hold of!

If anyone wants to, just let it be known.

Ooh, that sounds kind of neat. I don't really think I could do it, but if we get a list here of people willing to let their characters be used this way, I might give it a go.

Any of my characters could be used, really, though I suspect the only one people know well enough is Katzaniel, pre-AVG mission. Aniel has only appeared in one story so far, and Inbi is pretty vanilla in personality. Most of my others are one-shot deals.

Not sure if anyone would want to use any of my characters, but if you do, go ahead, I don't mind.

I also might consider writing a piece, but I don't really make a close enough study of anyone's character development.

Edited by Hjolnai

Wyvern steps into the Cabaret Room with a grin, a shiny red price tag dangling from his tail stinger and dragging along the floor as he walks. The overgrown lizard grins and blows hisses to his many adoring fans in attendance, soaking up any tiny amount of attention he can muster. He moves in and marks his name deliberately close to Signe's on Snypiuer's sign-up sheet, his "W" overlapping with her "e," before adding as an addendum:

"800 geld per story"

;-)

OOC: And yes, my character is always available for use. :)

If ye want to God-mode in non-canon Parallel universe, there's few characters better suited than the Dreamer. Feel free to use him. ;)

We did something like this some years back by the way, it was Valdar's idea back then. I wrote about Quincunx and Gyr wrote about me as far as I recall.

Well, as they say, "There's no such thing as an original idea."

That's O.K.

Glad to see there are those who like the idea and see a couple I want to try when I'm finished with my current project (stuck on a key point).

I was thinking of a Wyvern who is greedy because he can 'sense' value. Taste, feel, smell, etc. how much an item is actually worth (the more valuable, the more succulent the taste, sweeter the smell, sensual the feel, etc.) when he first comes into contact with any given item and will retain the knowledge, but the sensation fades - and he is addicted to that sense, with all that entails (DT's, doing what ever it takes to get a 'fix', etc.).

OR, a 1920's Signe Pin-up girl/uber-spy dilly OR *oohhhhh!!!!* a NUN!!!!!.

Also kinda liked Hjolnai's Alten character (not sure if I'd write him much different though). I'm also kind of in the same situation as him, need to read up on everyone to get a better feel - then again, it might be a good thing to not have that good a grasp on a character so as not to be TOO swayed to keep to the characters' true self.

Just thoughts right now.

Can't wait to see what stories others come up with!

Snypiuer, I'd certainly be happy for you to write with Alten, and I've written a piece in the Piazza of Portraits of my view of him in case that helps. As you said, though, having too strong a grip on the character might be a hindrance, so there's no need to read it if you think you already have a strong enough grip on the character. I'd like to see your idea of him, although of course it's completely up to you whether you want to write about him.

The same goes for anyone else who wants to write with one of my characters; as I've said already, go ahead, and most of them have a piece in the Piazza of Portraits if you think it helps.

I'll also think about writing from someone else's point of view, as I've already said in a previous post.

OR, a 1920's Signe Pin-up girl/uber-spy dilly OR *oohhhhh!!!!* a NUN!!!!!.

Signe as a nun has been done, kinda. ;o) by Gyrfalcon, as part of the I Dare You! thread a few years ago.

but sadly, she didn't stay long!

You're killing me, simply killing me.

I know there's no such thing as an original idea. . . but this?!

I haven't finished what I'm working on now, let alone started on one of these, and its already been done!

Feeling very inferior at this point in time! :(

• 2 weeks later...

For lo and behold, I shall begin us a thread in which we can act upon this idea, and write our short stories.

Heck, I've even come up with a veritable "catalyst" for some reasons to start things =D

Look for it in the Conservatory... ( I think that's where it'd make the most sense...)

Snypiuer - there isn't anything original, it all draws on our common perception of "reality" if nothing else. The delight is seeing how someone else views the same chair, person, whatever, and how they choose to share it.

Please! Don't be discouraged. I, for one, am really looking forward to reading how YOU choose to present your perceptions. You've been the catalyst for this, the spark plug that has excited the imaginations. Claim victory!

Polite hugs of affirmation and support

• 3 weeks later...