The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The One-Time-Only Pen Gazette

Sweetcherrie

Phase 1 can be found here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Thank you so much love, kisses, bubye.”

Sweetcherrie put the phone back on the charger and sank down on her bed. Absentmindedly she stroked Troy, who was sleeping on the bed, over his head, and stared into nothingness. Silently she wondered what she had gotten herself into this time. Should she have said no? But how could she? It was a good friend that had asked this of her and he wouldn’t have asked it if he wasn’t desperate. Why was she always such a pleaser, she had no idea how to make a newspaper. Sure she wrote a bit, but a whole newspaper that was totally different.

She picked the phone back up and dialled the number; she would tell her friend that she couldn’t do it. That she didn’t know anything about making newspapers, and that if he had problems in his love life this was his problem and not hers. Her finger hovered above the connect button. He had helped her when she was in trouble, and she knew how important this was for him. Wouldn’t it be only fair that she did this for him? She put the phone down again, and bit on her fingernails. She would do this, she had no idea how, but she would do this. After all it couldn’t be that difficult, the machines were all there, all she had to do was make sure that she found enough people to man them. Oh, and she should find writers of course, and maybe even someone that could do the horoscopes. Sweetcherrie rushed to her desk and took a piece of paper and a pen and started scribbling.

Dear Pennites,

I have been asked by a friend to publish his newspaper for him on this special occasion. I would like to ask for your help with this since I know little about how to publish a newspaper, but I’m confident that with a little bit of your help I can make this a success! The making of this newspaper will consists of two phases:

1.I need headlines, any headline you can think of. Afterwards I will write the story or poem that goes with this headline. If for example someone gives me the headline “Crucified nun dies in exorcism” (taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/ 19/06/05) then I would write the story this headline inspires me to write. I have taken an existing headline here as an example, but of course you can just make a headline up (i.e. “Wyvern fails again!”) I will start of by 15 headlines, and if there is space in this newspaper for more (read if my brain hasn’t collapsed by then) I might consider taking on new headlines.

2.For the second part I need people that are motivated to help me actually publish this newspaper once I’ve written the main articles, and maybe even write some side articles. I need people to fulfil the function of the photographers, journalists, technicians, interviewers….basically any function that you can think of that works at a newspaper. There will be a meeting at a yet to pronounced date (in RP) and in this meeting we will discuss the making of this special “Pen Gazette”.

I would be very grateful for any help I can get, if you can help and would like to, then please sign up your name on the list below. Please make sure to state what function you could fulfil if you are interested in helping with phase 2.

Love,

Sweetcherrie

She sat back and read what she had written one last time. Satisfied with what she had written she nodded and started up her laptop to type it out. The thing started with a howling sound, and protested heavily. Even Troy woke up and sleepily raised his head to see who was in pain. “Don’t worry this is something you can’t heal sweetie.” Sweetcherrie mumbled, and set to work. Ten minutes later she pressed the print button and the neat letter came rolling out the printer. With a last hesitation between calling back her friend and the task ahead of her she resolutely stepped out her room to pin up this note in the Cabaret Room.

Edited by Sweetcherrie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patham steps into the Cabaret Room and sees Sweetcherrie pinning the notice up on the wall. He steps behind her and while she is fixing it, reads it.

"Very interesting." - he says cheerfully, surprising Sweetcherrie, since she hadn't heard him walk up behind her.

Patham then takes an owl feather from one of his pockets and with it writes his name on the bottom of the notice. Next to his name he writes the headline he had thought of immediately when he had read the note.

Patham can take pictures, willing to write and do interviews.

Headline: "Saved for the second time"

OOC: the headline was translated from a hungarian news story, but from what I understand you don't need to know what was in it to be able to write your news item. :)

Suggested headline:

"Then there was rain"

For the second part, I'd have to think later on... I never know how much time RL will give me, and my Muse is rather temperamental ;) . But I could possibly contribute with something. Do we really need to tell you what we can do right now?

Edited by Tanuchan

*signs up for the part of interviewer and possibly columnist (inspiration permitted ;) )*

Looking forward to this :D

Can't think of a headline at the moment, but I'm sure I'll find one ^_^

Good luck!

There is some confusion about what I will be doing...and that's probably because I'm being scatterbrained again somewhere... :unsure:

The 'articles' I will write will be shaped into stories or poems, not into articles as they are written in a real newspaper.

Appy came with the idea of calling it more of a magazine and not a newspaper, this description is probably more correct.

Just a little clarification.....

and oh....*bounces happily* already four people for phase 2, yay :woot:

Edited by Sweetcherrie

*wishes Sweetcherrie the best of luck*

I don't really expect that I will have enough computer and internet free time available to do a decent job as an employee of the Pen Gazette, but here is a headline which I hope may be of some use:

Armadillo Speaks!

Vlad: Both are fine :)

I have started writing the stories/poems that go with the headlines, need 7 more though to be able to make this a proper magazine ;)

As soon as I’ve managed to write all (or at least most) of the stories/poems I will announce a meeting for the start of phase 2.

Stay tuned!

Phase 1:

1.Saved for the second time

2.Then there was rain

3.Cuban Commerce Collapses!

4.Police puts lid on pot

5.Armadillo Speaks

6.Dogs gone and done it again

7.Pigeons drop drop project; collect crap

8.Parasites under our skin, locals complain

Phase 2:

Patham – pictures, write and interviews

Appy – interviewer, (columnist)

Venefyxatu – horoscope lady

Tannuchan – agony column

Katzaniel – cameraperson

Mynx – any way possible (time permitting)

(if I knew how to I'd make one of those neat tables, I would....unfortunately I don't :P)

A suspicious-looking figure in a dark overcoat slides a tattered note through the crack of the news room door. The figure then begins to tip toe away, only to trip over his own tail stinger and go toppling over. Sweetcherrie considers opening the door to watch Wyvern attempt to crawl away at full speed, but shakes her head and settles for opening the note. Her eyes go crooked as she stares at the headline on the page.

Sharpein Commerce Flourishes, Cuban Cigars in Style.

Update:

Only 1 more!

Phase 1:

1.Saved for the second time

2.Then there was rain

3.Cuban Commerce Collapses!

4.Police puts lid on pot

5.Armadillo Speaks

6.Dogs gone and done it again

7.Pigeons drop drop project; collect crap

8.Parasites under our skin, locals complain

9.Prized ducks set off alarms day and night

10.The cemetary everyone is dying to get into

11.Beaver attacks man's log

12.Sharpein Commerce Flourishes, Cuban Cigars in Style.

13.Sleep can save rare rhino

14.Time slowed down for maintenance

Oh, and I'm sorry for losing the font Wyvern, but I will keep it in the story that goes with your headline ;)

Edited by Sweetcherrie

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet, your stories are great! I enjoyed reading them :)

My only complaint is that, as you've been just editing the stories in (as you posted the placeholders weeks ago!), I didn't have any idea you were posting them at all... :D

*hugs*

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan