The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

To the quill bearer who isn't

Gwaihir

Everyone knew that Gwaihir liked to be outdoors and they knew he loved plants. Some people knew that he enjoyed writing mediocre poetry, but it is unlikely that anyone thought he was a reader. Usually this was true too. However, this night he did not get up from his desk until the candle finally sputtered out. His whole desk was covered with books of varying ages and in many different languages. In fact, he had borrowed every dictionary in the pen keep for this purpose.

When he rose the inky parchement ran thus.

I'm sorry!

Mea culpa.

Ich bin traurig

Estoy apesadumbrado

Je suis désolé

безсмислен

më vjen

Sono spiacente

حزين, مثير للشفقة, أسف

litující, zoufalý

kahetsema

λυπημένοσ

verontschuldigingen!,

متاسف, غمگين,

nebechdik

sajnálom

nožēlojams

zmartwiony

desgostoso

sărăcăcios

несчастный

žao

ľutovať

brengosur

ledsen

üzüntülü

Finally with a nod he grabbed it up and climbed out the window. Down and out with a minimum of thumping (though more than one fist did protude from more than one window before he had moved away from the building.)

Only at the Wiggly Cabbage patch did he know that there were a few beings would forgive him for the intrusion and he quickly stroked a cabbage awake. When it had crinkled the sleep from its leaves, it soon understood and read the parchment.

Gwaihir stood nervously nearby. "Is it good enough?"

If the cabbage could have smiled it would, but instead it replied "Well, that certainly is a lot of apologies, but it isn't quite clear who you're apologizing to or why. By the way, is there a reason that this paper is scraped and torn as if it had been rubbed down many floors of a brick wall?"

The elf blushed for a second at that last question and then brushed it comfortably out of his mind. "Well, reverie took a lot of time to organize a bunch of amazing poets judges etc. It was awesome and he spent a lot of time and did quite a bit of writing himself. It was a truely impressive project and erm...well, it deserved timely recognition. I wanted to apologize for a certain erm....well, weeks of tardiness."

"Ah." The cabbage managed to nod its leaves quite satisfactorily. "I hope this reverie has a particular obsession with languages?"

Gwaihir grinned. "Well, no. Not that I know of, but I was trying to think of different ways of expressing myself and there are only so many words for 'apologies, sorry, my bad, forgive me, didn't mean to' in English. I figured I try in a few others."

"Sounds reasonable," the Wiggly Cabbage agreed, "but perhaps you should write all that down."

"Probably, but some things must be done as soon as possible, so I only have time to add

"Congratulations to our newest poet, reverie."

OOC: This post is highly deserved and really is weeks late, but the issues of finally finding a job...that then requires me to learn how to drive (I go from appreciated secretary to useful and well paid worker when I get a license) and buy a car has been rather time occupying. However, this is going well. I think I'm through the worst of it. Also, visiting sisters (for the summer) are much fun, but a high distraction. Congrats rev.

Edited by Gwaihir

Congratulations Revery!

PS: Since I'm hungarian I guess I'll have to point out that "sajnàlni" in hungarian is the infinitive of the verb, if you want the meaning of I'm sorry, then that is "sajnàlom" (with the accent on the 'a' in both cases in the other direction, but I don't have that a on this french keyboard). ;)

Oops. Yeah, a bunch of them are infinitive when they shouldn't be :(. I was hoping that I had gotten all the languages of Penners right and didn't tax my internet connection with the rest of them. Thanks.

I would write a more creative reply...but the carnival has kidnapped my muse :P

Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those.

unknown

Pursue the poetry....

Congratulations Revery! :)

Congratulations reverie, about time! ^_^

I was hoping that I had gotten all the languages of Penners right and didn't tax my internet connection with the rest of them. 

All the languages? Where's Finnish!?

:P

I looked for it for you, because I knew you'd notice :P.

The only Finnish online babelfishes were 'too busy' or down though. I wrote this whole post two days before I posted it...and then lost it and redid it. First time I had Finnish ;)

• 2 weeks later...