The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Congratulations!

Gwaihir

Gwaihir sat and stared at the floor of his room occasionally looking at a book. He looked out the window forlornly. It was raining out there, but that didn't matter to him and he longed to be outside...if only he didn't have s omething else he Had to do.

He looked at the book again and tried to say 'congratulations'...in cat, but all he did was shudder. How could anyone learn to speak such a ...meat-like language. Everytime he tried to say 'hello' he mispronounced it and said 'meat' by accident according to the Wiggly Cabbages. It wasn't that he had anything against cats. When they weren't murdering things they were very cool. Calm, interesting, peaceful--all things Gwaihir highly appreciated, but their language was just plain too carnivorous to understand.

He was pretty good at languages-could speak ten plant languages fluently and was learning four more plus deer-like, mouse, horse and crow which he didn't really speak but could communicate in if he really needed to. But those were all plant-like minds; they didn't want to hurt or kill. The elf had spent two weeks trying to learn venus fly trap in an attempt to ask two of them to leave, but in the end he'd just had to give up and transplant 'em.

The problem was that this time he wasn't trying to get rid of an animal he was trying to congratulate it. How could you promote someone when you couldn't speak their language? She was able to turn human if she really tried, but he was trying to promote her not make her tired.

Finally he had an inspiration--even if he couldn't understand the language he could copy it down and soon there was a slightly ink-stained but relatively neat sign saying

Congratulations to our newest Troubador, Mynx!

Such beautiful clouds and the drizzle felt like the cuddles of the sky--Gwaihir took his sign out to hold Mynx's congratulations out where the world was beautiful.

[edit] Yes, Mynx can speak English, but it never occured to Gwaihir to think about that [/edit]

Edited by Gwaihir

Tanny peeked out from her window, wondering at the new sign. Why is Gwaihir out in the rain to hang out a sign?

She blinks, looking at the words that don't make any sense to her. The only word she can understand is "Mynx", and she stares at it thinking hard, while muttering to herself the words that sound so like a sleepy cat.

"Oh...!" She grins, finally relating her friend's name to the only thing involving her that could grant that sign in cat, in the middle of the courtyard. She leaves her rooms to seek Mynx, running into her in one of the corridors near the Assembly Room.

Mynx turns in surprise, unable to avoid a tacklehug given by a wolf jumping right into her arms.

"Heeeey....!" She stumbles, trying to keep her balance while holding an armful of wolf against her. "Tanny! What..."

Laughing, Tanny goes back to her human form and grins, hugging her. "Mynx, there's a big sign in something that sounds like cat-language... I have no idea what's really written, but I guess that you got a new rank! Congratulations!!"

Mynx smiles dazedly, stunned at the recent turn of events.

"Wow," she murmered to herself, "I haven't seen anything written in Cat in an age...Gwai must have put a lot of effort into this..."

Once more thankful that he colour of her pelt hides blushing, Mynx smiled at all who had come to congratulate her.

"Thank you all, so much. I couldn't have done with without your help and this really really means a lot to me. Thank you."

OOC: I mean it guys - I wouldn't be here without the support and love of all the friends I've made since I joined this place, nor without the pesterings of Cryptomancer, Gryphon, and many others for me to post my scribblings.

Thank you all.

.....WOOT! I DID IT!

Sweet rolls in on her skates and bumps into the big sign about Mynx’s promotion. She stared at it for a moment, not having the slightest idea what it said, but thinking that it sure looked a bit dull. Her face brightened up and she quickly skated away.

10 minutes later

Sweet comes racing back in and almost flings herself around Akallabeth who had just left the Cabaret Room.

“Hiya,” she smiles naughtily, “I’m going to liven up that poster a bit, wanna help?”

Akallabeth frowns at her, “Are you sure you want to do that, it announces that Mynx is promoted, and I’m sure that Gwaihir wants to keep it as clear as possible.”

Sweet, however, waves away his objections and gets the package of magical pens from her pocket. With the tip of her tongue showing she carefully draws a little cat next to the letters.

Taking a step back to admire her work, she mumbles, “Now just the final touch.” Looking around she sees Orlan walking by.

“Hey Orlan” Sweet throws herself around his shoulders, “how are you? I hope you’re ok I need some help here I’ve been making a drawing for Mynx and now I would like it to come to live and since I can’t do magic I will need your help a bit will you do it please, Please?”

Orlan blinks at the ramlbing, hyperactive enthusiasm of the girl, “What would you like me to do?”

Sweet pulls him over to the drawing of the cat she made, “It’s already made with my magical pens, it just needs an extra touch.”

Orlan looks from the jumpy girl to the picture of the cat (that could also be a cow or a dog) and sighs, “Sure” The mage touches the picture and the cat starts mewing pathetically.

“Not like that, it’s a Mynx, it needs to roar,” The girl pouts.

Orlan sighs again and touches the picture; the cat starts to roar and growl, “better?”

Sweet nods happily, “Thank you so much” and hugs Orlan again before rolling away on her skates.

OOC: Congrats Mynx! :D

Orlan: I didn't know anyone else's char that could do this, so I hope I didn't use him wrong! I got the hint from Katz in IRC, if I did use him wrong please let me know and I'll change it.

Gryphon bounds up to Mynx and she turns in time to see him come flying through the air at her.

There is a brief almost 'eep' sound from her followed by one from him as she gets her claws into auto-defensive position just as he hits her and they both go rolling in a ball of congratulatory fur and feathers.

Laughingly Gryphon nibbles gently on Mynx's ear before whispering "Congratulations kitten"... then he leaves her to the congratulations of the others and bounds off to work on a project of his own. :)

A Raven dives from a rather great height, the echo of his voice carrying a single drawn out word,

"MMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYNNNNNNNNNNXXXXXXXXXX!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The dive ends in a tacklehug, well the Raven version of it, hitting with almost enough force to daze the bird but little to no real impact on Mynx, except for the flutter of black that suddenly appears to be clinging to her shoulder.

However,

As the Raven scrambles to gain purchace on the shifting fabric of Mynx's hood, and Mynx tries to stop her friend from moving around, things take a very startling turn.

Mynx finds herself in the embrace of a 15 foot winged ego, eyes ablaze with happyness at his friend' promotion, her surprise at seeing the very seldom seen form of the full sized shadow is heightened by the fact that there is no human presence of the Runemage at all, then........

the rest of Mynx is heightened by a 15 foot winged ego quite calmly throwing her a a good 30 foot into the air, catching her again, and hugging her close.

"You did well my friend, very very well. Congratulations."

Mynx looks up into the eyes of her friend Cryptomancer, now in human form, as he congratulates her on her new rank.

:raven:

Yey! My new troubadour buddy! Congratsaroos!

*Zariah turns into her crow form, plops on Mynx's shoulder and nuzzles her*

Congrats!

*Zariah jumps to the floor, transforms back into human form and gives Mynx a quick hug*

:flower:

Running down the corridor, Epinephrine holds the note that has just arrived in his study. He bursts into the room and stops, confused..

When the mass of feathers and fur that is Mynx being tacklehugged by Gryphon and the raven Cryptomancer finally settles Epinephrine extends a timid hand to offer congratulations to his friend on her promotion. Simple minded fool...

Dragging the already battered Mynx into another big hug, Epinephrine squeezes out a breathless congratulations.

"As always I seem to be the last to find out. But congratulations on a well-deserved promotion!"

epinephrine

• 2 weeks later...