The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf XVII: Sign-up & OOC

Tanuchan

Well, so I'm back with the promised theme... the TV serials from the 60's.

Everyone is involved with the filming/production of a weekly TV serial, SF/fantasy-type -- you know, the "let's fight the monster-of-the-week" kind. There will be actors and technical people. The wolves are people hired by a rival studio to wreck havoc in the show, provoking accidents of all kinds to delay the production. The Seer is someone who has got friends and connections in all studios and the unions also, so they can get information easily. The Baner is/was a stuntman, so they can easily fool the wolves and escape uninjured.

The Executive Producer is an NPC, but besides that you can be anyone involved with the show.

PM alliances won't be allowed, however you can use PMs to create any background story/relationship you want.

Game will start next Monday or Tuesday, depending on the number of people :)

Start thinking!

~Tanny

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ezekiel "Zeke" Thompson, the cameraman. Hates being called a camera man, he's a Cinematography Technician. Went to a trade school for four years, he's one of the best camera men in the business. Laid back, easy going guy, although he's too shy for his own good. Doesn't make friends easily, because he's afraid to talk to people, but the friends he has are fiercly loyal.

"Creepy" Kaz Johnson- Kind of creepy gaffer who spends most of his time up on the catwalks adjusting lighting or working in his cramped office fixing various pieces of equipment. Has the unnerving tendency to stare at others without speaking. Still, he's good at what he does and works hard: he's usually the first one on the set in the morning and the last one to leave at night. In fact, no one's actually ever seen him leave...

Lizzie French is an older woman who is over her top.

She has done some serious acting back in the days, but that was only in silent black and white movies.

She has her roots in France, but has been living in the US of A since she was thirteen.

I have some serious background stories in my head, but all will be revealed at the right time :D

- Sweetcherrie

John Thessalonian, sound effects man!

Used to work in radio, ended up knowing the right people to make the transistion to TV with much less fuss and disaster as so many stars of the old shows did (yes, this does mean he's getting up there in years, but he still attacks his job with zeal, and never disappoints). A perfectionist, and chain smoker. Can be seen at the top of a ladder for days at a time, cigarette held firmly in his mouth, dropping various and sundry objects on as many different surfaces until he gets just the right "CRASH!"

Marisa Hawkins, stage mother

Benjamin Hawkins is the classic all-American kid: nine years old, serious, blond crew-cut, blue-eyed, and gosh-darn cute, he was the obvious choice for the Bright Young Sidekick. However, to get him to appear on the show, the executives had to deal with his mother. . .

Dusky Marisa was working as a VaVoom girl in a private club, where men went when they didn't want to be seen, but producer Luke Hawkins astonished the community when he brought her out of seclusion. Benjamin was born on the right side of wedlock--barely--and Luke immediately tried to rid himself of his heir's mother. Once again to everyone's surprise, the court awarded custody to Marisa, and she pawned Benjamin mercilessly as a rising child star.

Even the directors are afraid to cross Marisa; she is one of the best bargainers in the business, backed by rumors of what hold she had over Luke in order to do what she did to him. She trades favors with more generous terms for Little People behind the camera and fresh young starlets, the only people left in Hollywood that she hasn't already used, and roams freely throughout sets and makeup rooms cruising for fresh blood. Her favorite accessory is a shoebox-sized leather album case embossed with scenes of the Annunciation; in there she keeps Benjamin's contracts, the ranchera records which she brought to Hollywood to start her singing career, her birth control pills, diet pills, motion sickness pills, fever pills, sleeping pills, breath mints. . .she'll share, for a price.

Edited by Quincunx

Now that the setting is not Star Wars anymore, count me in again! I'm going to stick with the character I originally thought up for this theme : Emmett, one of the make-up artists. This guy has the biggest afro ever to be seen on a white man and just ... doesn't ... stop ... talking! It's not that he's unfriendly, but actors who want to remember their part try to avoid getting their make-up done by him.

A non-stop talker ... now there's a challenge for someone like me :P

Bernie Frankowitz- The Agent extraordinaire...

....That is assuming if you're not even B movie material. He is the epitome of the bad, BAD agent; you know, the ones you see in the movies about movie stars who are on the rise. Basically a good guy, just.. really bad at what he does.

Short and balding, he's not much of a looker either...

Though I might not be participating in the thread on quite as frequent a basis as others, I'll be playing the Ghost of Paul Gotliebb Nipkow, the German inventor who came up with the idea for the first electromechanical television system. Embittered by the abandonment of the Nipkow disc in later versions of television sets, he haunts production studios for sport, and decided to come to this particular venue in the hopes of amusing himself by watching the rival studios in conflict. He cannot be seen or heard by any of the characters, with the exception of Lizzie French who hears and see's him as old transparent man. He enjoys haunting people by causing the occasional bout of static, burning out the occasional light bulb, and making the occasional cup of coffee bitter... but let's face it, with haunting methods like these, he's often bored and frustrated. Add to that frustration the notion that the only person that see's and hears him is an old French woman, and that he still holds a slight grudge from the years of World War I which occured before his death, and you have quite a disgruntled spectre.

My character will obviously not be involved in the voting or the death elements of this Werewolf game, though he will probably be mocking those characters that pass into the afterlife for the first time ("buncha amateur ghosts!"). He will also be around to haunt and comment in various ways.

YAY! :D

*grabs Wyvern and swirls around the room wildly, absolutely happy with his great idea*

Erm... ahem... *tidies his scales, grinning broadly* I'm sure we'll definitely enjoy your presence here, Wyvvie! :)

*bounces out happily, after kissing Wyv's cheek*

Ohh... Wyvvie as the official ghost... weeeeee!!

Debra Thompson, budding actress and Beatles fan. Trend follower, sweet, young; she's everybody's favorite and wouldn't hurt a fly. Naive, she does everything her agent tells her to.

It's not much to go on, but I'm not particularly knowledgeable about 60's television. If anybody has any suggestions to fill out her character, I'd be very grateful.

Signed up so far:

• Sweetcherrie => Lizzie French, actress
  • Deggy => Ezekiel "Zeke" Thompson, cameraman
  • Kasmandre => "Creepy" Kas Johnson, gaffer
  • Akallabeth => Doug Matthews, stage carpenter/handyman
  • Gryphon => Terry Walkworth, special fx
  • Ozy => John Thessalonian, sound effects
  • Lady Celes => Tim Price, voice-over
  • Quincunx => Marisa Hawkins, stage mother
  • Venefyxatu => Emmett, make-up
  • Knight => Bernie Frankowitz, The Agent extraordinaire
  • dragonqueen => Debra Thompson, budding actress
  • Vahktang => Isaac Heinlein, head writer
  • Gnarlitch => Buzz Beckenstien, actor
  • Wyvern => the Ghost of Paul Gotliebb Nipkow, NPC
Stephen Seelvergh is the director, an NPC that anyone can use in their posts. (Think of him as a prop to make it funnier :P)

Erwin Aylen, the Executive Producer, will be "my" NPC. He may be used as a 'shadow figure' as well in your posts.

The theme of the TV show is a family whose spaceship landed in an alien planet. The spaceship is broken beyond repair (or at least easy repair)... and every week a crazy screenwriter creates an episode where they meet some dangerous, alien, impossible situation :P (Hey, it's 'kill-the-monster-of-the-week show!). And the technical crew and actors have to do their best to accomodate the whims of the screenwriter and the director ;)

Invitation to the screenwriters

If any of you, player or non-player, has a good idea for an 'episode', PM me ... I can use them in my posts to describe the filming task ahead. It doesn't need to be a story, just a sketch is nice... like the 'story pitch', really.

The game thread will be up possibly later today or tomorrow, starting with a period of free RP, and I will be accepting sign-ups during the first 24 hours.

Guess that's it for now... if you're interested in playing, hurry up! :)

~Tanny

Edited by Tanuchan

I'm in.

I'm the head writer, the guy that approves the scripts (and rewrites them) and gets no respect.

I'm...

Isaac Heinlein.

:)

Trying to decide to be more Heinlein, Harlan or hack.

I'll get back to you.

Meet Buzz Beckenstien, actor. Buzz is tall, muscualr, and would be thought quite attractive in a rough-hewn sort of way...if it weren't for his horrible disfigurement in a car accident three years ago. Now, the once leading man is relegated to roles as "the Monster" or as a villain, due to the sever facial scar/burns he recieved when he wrapped his car around a telephone pole one night in a drunken stupor. He can appear affable and charming at will, but usually is aloof and disdainfull, using his acerbic wit to revile and diminish those around him.

Edited by Gnarlitch

Alrighty...

Don Cornelious, the musical director for this program. He's a master therman player and has no time for actors incerssant whining. Sci-fi music always has a therman in it. No complaining!

(A therman is one of those warbling electric plate/ring instruments. You run yuor finger around it, and you get differnt pitches. FOr examples, watch old B-movies or listen to just about any Beach Boys album)

I'm in.

I'm the head writer, the guy that approves the scripts (and rewrites them) and gets no respect.

I'm...

Isaac Heinlein.

:)

Trying to decide to be more Heinlein, Harlan or hack.

A combination.

Isaac was born in the 30's and cut his teeth on the sci-fi pulps.

After a stint in the army, he came to hollywood.

While studying writing, he got jobs at the studio.

He's been on the staff of a dozen shows, none of the sucesses.

But this is almost his dream job.

He wants to put in some social commentary and realism, and teach people about science, just like his heroes, and the authors of the stories he's read.

He is thwarted by the studios, hack writers, the producers (the actors, the crew, craft services, random people on the street, etc).

He is also trying to get a producer credit so that he has some place more secure to go when this show ends. Maybe even do his own show.

(also, that's where the money is)

I forgot about looks.

Zeke's tall, really tall. Almost 7 feet tall, with short-cropped black hair. He's not muscular, but he's not fat, being kinda on the skinny side, Not skinny enough to be scrawney, though. Everyone says he's 'cute' although he's never been called handsome.

Some people have asked me where/when this game takes place. So... let's say...

Mid-sixties. After JFK's assassination, and while the Beatles were at the top.

As for place... well, let's say Hollywood.

Also, as a reference, the TV has just made the transition to color transmission... so, make-up and lighting would probably still have some trouble ;)

Edited by Tanuchan