The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf XV: Sign-up & OOC

Tanuchan

What theme would you like to play?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, since you guys are making characters...

I guess I'll have a crack at it, too..

TV shows: Andrew von Hazen- Yes, the name is not German. Yes, he legally changed his name to add it. He is the whiny director of a half-dozen or so cookie cutter drama shows. He has no friends, but does possess a Napoleon complex the size of Texas. Or Alaska. Your call.

Rose doodamahickey: Friar Thomas- The very quiet guy with the very Mr. Bunny-esque quotes of '...' and '...'. Having taken a vow of silence for his last round of penance, his method of communication, (at least for the next four months), is by hand-writing alone. Generally though, he is a good sort of guy..

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so here goes a challenge for you ^_^

Theme: THE NAME OF THE ROSE (Medieval Abbey, 14th century)

Game thread will be up tomorrow afternoon

I promise I'll be modding the TV Serials next time :)

What I'll ask of you now is that you decide on your character. I need you to think of :

• name + city of origin (for example, we had Adso of Melk, William of Baskerville, Nicola of Morimondo...), for the monks. Just the name, if you aren't a monk.
  • position in the Abbey (copyst, smith, glazier, cellarer, cook, herbalist, novice, a servant...)
  • short background
Roles restricted to NPCs: Librarian, Assistant Librarian (the only ones who access the Library of the Abbey)

If you want to set some specific relationship between your characters, feel free. Strategy PMs (PM alliances) won't be allowed except for wolves. PMs for RP purposes are okay at any time. I'll give a quick background for the story in the opening post of the game thread.

I'll leave sign-up open until Tuesday evening, when the first (NPC) death occurs and I send out the roles. If for any reason you don't want a special role, please PM me (*don't* post it here).

If you aren't familiar with the setting and need some suggestions, PM me and I'll try to help :)

Current players

• dragonqueen
  • Vahktang => Brother Adrian of ???, Bee-keeper
  • Katz => 14-year-old servant. (As a servant, just a plain name is okay)
  • Sweetcherrie => Brother Gulzar of Babylon, chief Gardener
  • Kasmandre
  • Lady Celes => Brother Mathieu of ???, herbalist and assistant cook
  • Quincunx
  • Akallabeth
  • Knight => Brother Thomas of ???, has taken a vote of silence
  • YanYan
  • Gryphon
  • MTUFoolish
  • Venefyxatu=> Felipe of ???, novice
  • Cryptomancer => Brother Benedicte of ???, scholar of liturgy and sacraments
For those who eventually aren't very familiar with the book, here you have a short summary/review:

mysteryguide.com

Edit: updating player list.

Edited by Tanuchan

Kindest regards to the gathered fold, I would like to request that my humble presence may grace the same halls as such esteemed company as this.

Should it not be too much trouble that is.

I should introduce myself, I am Brother Benidicte, a scholar of liturgy and sacrements.

Should any need my humble assistance I would be honoured by your requests.

Thank you.

:raven:

Let me introduce myself my name is Brother Gulzar of Babylon.

I'm the gardener around here, and if you dare stap on my 'sweet little flowers' again, I'm affraid I have to take firmer measures.

Oh... one last thing, could you please stay away from the lawn, I have just spread out some ferilizer

Thank you.

Lady Celes, as you said you'd be gardener and help with cooking, I "assigned" you as herbalist so you would be responsible for all spices and herbs a cook may use. In this way, Sweetcherry can be responsible for the lawn :P If you both want to talk and coordinate as you have similar characters, feel free to.

Cryptomancer, welcome back! :D

Now y'all know I can't make a comeback to the pen without a modicum of participation. Personally, I prefer that which is placed in the 1960's... I'd get to say gee-willikers and be completely out of style. And gosh darn. I think I'll base my character off of a 1930-50-ish pleasant American kid. You know, the kind of kid who actually has the white picket fence. But just for a twist, he'll be a WW2 vet. Yeah, that could be intriguing.

Still formulating an idea for if the monk setting goes through though. Having a vow of silence and a shaved head (only pointing out stereotypes here, mind you) would be hard to accuse anyone.

Edit... I hadn't read far enough. Well, must be a monk-ish. Actually, I could almost do what I was planning. Though it's the fourteenth century, perhaps my character could be a jovial scholarly type. An outsider to the brotherhood doing a study for the kingdom he hails from. That would put additional pressure on him being an outsider, and would give me an opportunity to develop defensive discussion traits.

Bernard Farhaven the name is, and I am most pleased to greet you all. If I could have a moment of your time, I'm doing a study...

Edited by Damon Inferel

Brother Thibault of Limoges

Old, lined, and liver-spotted, with a few wisps of grey hair clinging to the base of his skull. Once a skilled maker and restorer of vellum, his eyesight and mind have both gone a little soft, and the abbot has assigned him to duties away from the documents. As a result, he divides his time between pestering the current generation of scholars and bestowing blessings on anyone who strikes his fancy.

Now y'all know I can't make a comeback to the pen without a modicum of participation. Personally, I prefer that which is placed in the 1960's... I'd get to say gee-willikers and be completely out of style. And gosh darn. I think I'll base my character off of a 1930-50-ish pleasant American kid. You know, the kind of kid who actually has the white picket fence. But just for a twist, he'll be a WW2 vet. Yeah, that could be intriguing.

And have a limb or two off.

That would put a nice screw into a character.

Beekeeper and candle-maker whose face is permanently covered in welts from a beeswax allergy,

"umh, why are you the beekeeper again if you get physically sick at it."

"Well, then my father was, and his father before him."

"But you're a monk. They take a vow of chastity."

"Do they now? Hmm. Well, I better go home then and tell me wife."

:)

But seriously folks, when you we do the 60's monster show, I'll be the number one most powerful person there. That's right, I'm the writer.

:)

As for the NotR: I'm Adrian of the Adriatic. I was born at sea, to greek orthodox parents.

I never fit in and drifted west, finally taking my vows in the catholic church and staying with the bee keeping thing.

I am not allergic, but I do go around in my beekeeping outfit a lot.

Not many know what I actually look like.

Welcome back, Damon! :D

*hugs*

And Game Thread is up - here.

Sign-up is open for another 24 hours, or until I assing roles. If you still want to play, hurry!

Keep an eye on this OOC thread for any news on extension of deadlines, and also for the scorecards.

I'm also including information about the Benedictine Hours below, if someone wants to work them into RP. It was taken from The Name of the Rose. Sun rises around 7:30 am and sets around 4:40 pm.

Benedictine Hour Time
Matins 2:30~3:00 am
Lauds 5:00~6:00 am
Prime ~7:30am, shortly before daybreak
Terce ~9:00am
Sext noon, midday meal in winter
Nones 2:00~3:30pm
Vespers ~4:30pm, at sunset (the Rule prescribes eating supper before dark
Compline ~6:00pm (before 7:00 monks go to bed

Brother Alcott of Lilbourne, copyist.

He was one of many children and his parents were peasents who couldn't afford to support all their children. **Need a way for him to get to the monastery - any suggestions?** Though he came from an impoverished background, Alcott took to the educated life well. The quiet atmosphere suits him, as he usually says as few words as possible. He is a peaceful man who, while he mightn't have originally been possessed of a desire to become a monk, has come to love God and be satsified with his life. He spends most of his time copying old manuscripts, and years of peering at faded words in dim light have ruined his eyes. These manuscripts are his passion, and knowledge and learning are valuable as gold to him.

I shall be Rhys of Cwmhir.

I have traveled from my abby in Wales with a fellow monk of the Cistercian Order, one Brother Maynard. However, during our trip through the Alps down to Italy, Brother Maynard fell to his untimely death. The poor soul placed his crutch in a bad location, placing it on a patch of ice, and fell off a precipice as he tried to regain his balance. He was a fine monk, a soul devoted to servitude. His unfinished Bible back in the Abbey of Cwmhir shall show his devotion to his work through the ages. . . but I deviate. (sigh) This happens all too often when I think of the poor soul that was Brother Maynard. We were on our way to this famed Abbey to copy several manuscripts of St. Benedict, but now I fear that I shall spend several more years than was intended for the journey, since Brother Maynard tragically left his body, and the copying, for me to take care of.

My hair is a fiery red, not yet graying as I am still in my youth. As is traditional in my order, my habit is white, rather than the Benedictine and Dominican browns or blacks.

EDIT: Slight correction of info.

Edited by Akallabeth

Okay, since as far as I can see no one else is Francis, I'll take that. I can't think of anything else.

Note that when I said he "grumbles under his breath whenever no one is looking" and "smiles and chats whenever anyone talks to him" that you shouldn't use that OOC information unless your character has a good reason to have seen Francis looking angrily at someone. For the most part, each of you thinks he's a very nice boy and a good servant who sometimes makes unfortunate mistakes.

As for his history, I'd guess that his parents died or gave him up at a very young age and that he went to the monastery to serve there. He probably wouldn't even know which it was. So he basically grew up among the monks and he thinks that they aren't very smart (to believe in something which no one has ever seen) and also thinks that most of them look down on nonbelievers. Some of you may have picked up on the fact that he's agnostic, but he doesn't exactly go around telling everyone.

I'm gonna go read and post now :P

Good Bennet:

Bennet was born seventeen years ago, the child of a whore who didn't want him but didn't have the heart to kill him like her matron advised. Instead she left the child on the doorstep of the monastery with the following note attached:

"I kant kare for a babi. He shud b wit his fadder. Tayk kare of me Bennet."

None of the monks stepped forward to claim the child (for obvious reasons) and he was raised collectively by the brotherhood. Unfortunately, Bennet was a little slow. He never learned to read and his speech and actions remained like a child. He did however, grow up to be a very large man, standing a full six feet tall with a great deal of tightly corded muscle. As such, he's used for any task requiring a good deal of strength. Bennet is happy to help any member of the brotherhood all of whom he refers to as "fadda" despite continued efforts to teach him the word "brother." Over the last seventeen years, Bennet has become as much a part of the monastery as any of the monks, but because he lacks the capabilities to actually become a monk himself, they call him "Good Bennet" instead of "Brother."

The subject of his paternity does come up from time to time with several different brothers whispered as possible candidates. Officially, they collectively claim that the whore was mistaken or lying to make sure they'd take him in. Bennet doesn't appear to take after any one of the brotherhood, but everyone has their suspicions. :whistle:

As earlier stated, Good Bennet is a veritable giant at six feet tall, with lanky brown hair and big brown doe's eyes (he's such a sweetheart :P ). He can usually be found smiling vacantly in the stables, where he enjoys feeding and taking care of the horses, or wandering the hallways of the abbey, loudly greeting anyone who passes.

OOC: If anyone would like to have the "dirty little secret" of being Bennet's father, PM me. Your character will have to be over 30 years old, though, for obvious reasons.

I'll play Brother Caire of the Dominican Order of Friars.

A scholar and ex-scribe who's made a pligramage to find and copy some information from the libraries that is supposed to help the monks back home with a major case in their inquisition.

*sits down with popcorn and juice, enjoying so very much the RP so far*

You're doing simply *great* :D I'm sure anyone reading is having as much fun as I am, and I hope it's fun for all players also! The variety of characters, and their personalities, will really make for a very nice game.

Kasmandre, I'm looking forward to see what's going to happen to Good Bennet; please, if you get a father for him, PM me also. If you want, you can also post it here so that others can play on that.

I've linked all the characterization posts to the names of the characters in the first post of the game thread; I'll keep the link in every scorecard also, so it's easier for everyone to refresh their memory about who's who.

*hugs everybody*

~Tanny :flower:

Edited by Tanuchan

Sweetcherry and I talked to each other and it's fine. I'll be glad to be responsible of the delicate spices and herbs.

I'll be Brother Mathieu of Carcasonne.

Born from a peasant familly in gorgeous Carcasonne, in southern France, Mathieu quickly learns the ways of gardening. When he became a teenager, he strongly expressed his loathe regarding violence, making his desires to not enter in the royal army strong. As a fervant catholic, he found his answer within the God he always prayed. He asked the local priest about becoming a monk and the benevolent man send the young boy over the Benedictine monastery.

After several years of education and loyal services, he had been received as Brother. Although now he's in his mid-thirties, he still have the passion for God, gardening and cooking.

That's fine, Lady Celes :)

Hmm... I think I'll give you 48 hours of free RP, after all. It's a shame to cut the chance for fun for the first lynchee...

Unless the RP tapers out, I'll post the first NPC kill about 48h from the first post of game thread, then (so, Wednesday afternoon). Untill there, no roles assigned, so no guilty parties - enjoy!

Sorry about taking so long...

Brother Joseph, known around the order as 'the Quiet Brother" due to his vow of silence. This, coupled with an unnerving air about him, makes him a little bit of an outcast. He was found half dead on the grounds. The monks nursed him back to health. Seeing this as a second chance at life, he took to the monk's way of life like a duck to water. His vow of silence has been going on for the past decade.

decided to go with a different route than previously considered

Brother Phillips Hue

Said to be one of the older monks of the abbey, not many are sure where exactly he heralds from but he does carry an irish accent, so many assume he's from Ireland. In fact he was born in England, but raised in Ireland. His true heritage caused him to be outcast by the other children of his village and so he grew up to be bitter and resentful, and he poured himself into work as a blacksmith, forging great swords. He lived a half-life between work and sleep until the sweet mother Mary showed him the way to Grace and he became a monk. Having spent several years at other monasterys as well, Phillips now resides at this particular monastery, where he's taken the job of their local blacksmith. Working mainly to create kitchenware and horseshoes, with the occasional fish hook, he still is a master at building swords, which although he has no use for, he can sell to passerbyers and local villages for a small amount. Well known by all the monks and many of the villagers, hes often a counsler to those in distress, that is if they speak loud enough, his hearing has been failing him in recent years.

No, it isn't :) You're the 16th player, be welcome Eyremon!!

Create a monk and go on to the game thread - you know full well what to do! :D

With one more player, we'll have 3 wolves. If we keep the 16... I'm playing with an idea for a variant that will allow a 3rd wolf depending on luck ;) More detail later, keep tuned!