The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf XIII: Halloween '04

Tanuchan

Some of the guests follow the people taking Cryptomancer back to the Manor, but none of them leaves the strange house. Most have in mind that strange things are happening, and that it must be determined if Salinye's hostel is safe. Some don't want to leave their friends. And a couple have other, more private, agendas.

Merelas finds Celes wandering towards the Library once more, and as she refuses to leave before checking if the Necronomicon is still there, he decides to go with her. A giggling is heard, and Merelas winces recognizing Gnarlitch's voice.

At the hallway, Finnius and Ayshela wonder at Gwaihir talking to something they can't see (yet) and some others stray again towards the staircase.

Ayshela suddenly notices the lack of a too-common noise -- Mynx's whimpers and cries. She looks around frantically, calling, "Mynx? Mynx, where are you?"

Somewhere in the house, Mynx follows some tiny, twinkling ligts that keep just out of her reach. Giggling, oblivious to the darkness, she hums to herself contentedly, eyes slightly glazed as if hypnotized.

There's a chill wind that touches her suddenly, and it seems to awake her from the trance. She turns around, eyes rounded in sudden fear as she notices she's alone.

"W-where's ev-v-erybod-dy...?"

A whispery laughter startles her, and she tries to run back to her friends. But the first door she tries is locked, and another one slams closed. Mynx cries for help, but the sound is strangely muffled in that dark room, covered by cobwebs but where there's an odd draft coming from the ceiling.

Panicked, the cheerleader cries and sobs, banging at the doors and turning wildly around at each cold touch on her fur.

Steps are heard, and Mynx gasps in sudden relief, until it registers in her mind that the sound comes from within the room... an otherwise silent, and empty, room.

Mynx's screams lead a rescue party to the locked room, and soon Tamaranis and Katz break the door open. A violent gust of wind hits them as soon as they step inside, and both Tanny and Inbi rush inside ignoring their startled cries.

"Mynx!"

Collapsed on the floor, curled up in a very tight ball of fur, the cheerleader wimpers.

"Mynx...." Tanny calls softly, but doesn't get any answer. After repeating her call several times, she sighs. "She's... out of mind. Too terrorized to react anymore...."

She caresses Mynx softly, soothing, and waits while Katz goes find help to take one more back to the Manor.

~~~~~~

OOC

Mynx was an innocent, absolutely drunk, cheerleader. It's Day Phase, and you have about 48h to find a wolf.

List of Players at the OOC thread :)

Good Hunting!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dwarf sees the red, malevolent eyes as well, and screeches like a banshee while at the same time hurling his magic war-hammer at the eyes at the same time.

*sound of rolling dice....A NATURAL 20 TO HIT!....more dice rolling....WOW! Max damage!! HOODY-FREAKIN-HOO!*

The glowing, rune carved hammer strikes directly between the eyes, causing a bright flash and explosion, the concussion of which knocks nearly everyone off their feet...

The dwarf catches the hammer as it magically returns to his hand, giggling with glee at his success. He then begins singing a dwarven fighting song at the top of his lungs and wanders off in search of something else to fight. WHAT FUN! Too bad the CheerKitty is gone.... :(

Ayshela calmed Mynx, finally prying herself loose to speak to Finnius briefly and check on the others. Gwaihir was behaving oddly, speaking to someone or something only he could see, but then, Finnius was behaving a bit oddly as well. Shrugging slightly, she wondered for a moment who among them wasn't? Circumstances were certainly on the strange side.

Thinking of strange, though, it was odd that no one had seen Dragonqueen or Leif or Nave recently. Concerned for their wellbeing, she set out to look for them, realizing belatedly that she could no longer hear Mynx. On the heels of that thought came Mynx's terrified shrieks, located finally as coming from behind a locked door. As the door burst open, Ayshela was swept aside by Tanny's rush into the room. As Mynx remained unresponsive, as feeling of despair swept over Ayshela. She'd lost Mynx in trying to find and protect the missing. Who would have thought Mynx could have been plucked from among the others, like this?

Ayshela sighed deeply, then squared her shoulders again. With a narrowed-eyed look about, she determined once more that they HAD to find out what was going on, and who - or what - was behind this.

OOC: no accusation - yet.

"There are three people here who, who, uh, help me out here."

Finnius glances back, grinning sardonically.

"There are three people here who, unwittingly or not, are trying to hurt the rest of us? Well, we should make that two now, shouldn't we?"

"Are you making fun of me, blue guy?

"Was that a 'sardonic' look?

"I'm going back to library to find a dictionary."

OOC: A vote for Finnius.

'Cause he looked at me funny.

Celes keeps looking for the dreaded Necronomicon, accompagnied by Merelas, who decided it was the best to keep an eye on her in case the the Library is booby trapped. While books were litterally flying around, the patient gentleman sighs.

- What with this book upsetted you so much?

Celes stops for a moment and magically pilled the books that she already inspected back into their place.

- You see, I suspected that Cryptomancer used it as you've seen the bizarre effect that occured to him, even thought he was among the pranksters. But I need to get that dreaded thing back to Yui so she might be able to do something about it... if she actually wants to read it in the first place. But, for as little I know about it, I sure do know that this thing should be locked up away from anyone.

Meanwhile, Vahktang enters the Library and looks at Celes and Merelas.

- I apologizes for my intrusion but, did find a dictionnary. A Webster's will be fine.

Celes uses her flight spell on the requested dictionnary and leads it over Vahktang.

- There's your dictionnary. Any news of the others?

- Well, CheerMynx had been pranked and I think Finnius have something to do with it...

- Really? Right now, if I can only find that dreaded book, I could rest easier if it'll be in trustworthy hands.

Vahktang looks questionnably at Merelas who simply shrugged while mentionning Yui's name while the Café owner is still searching throughouly.

OOC: No votes yet

Ayshela looks over Vahktang's shoulder as he looks in the dictionary.

Sardonic: disdainfully or skeptically humorous : derisively mocking

looking at the dictionary, then at Vahktang, then at Lady Celes, Ayshela said, "How odd. That's not like Finnius. Disdain? Mocking?"

With a look of deep concern, Ayshela continued looking for the missing, now keeping a very wary eye out for Finnius as well.

OOC: A vote for Finnius

"So that's what sardonic means... wow." The little blue man adjusts his mask, blushing purple-ly. "And here I just thought it meant bemused, or something. Color me stupid."

The diminutive indigo hominid makes a sheepish half-bow to Vahk, apologizing for the glance, which seems to've vacated the scene of the crime. And speaking of vacating the scene...

An unearthly giggling wafts down the hall, following on the heals of a dwarven war-screech and the sound of something breaking. The shockwave following after makes most of the assembled former-partygoers look for better purchase to keep their feet.

"I think we might want to start looking towards the obviously destructive elements here..."

OOC: A vote for Gnarlitch. 'Cause I'd like the house to stay in one piece long enough to get out of it.

Celes finished her throughouly search in the Library although she had yet to find the Necronomicon.

- Great, whoever had it cleverly hide it.

After Ayshela read the difinition and shares her concerns about the blue guy, the Café owner thinks over it.

- I do agree that something is at odd there.

While the indigo hominid protested Celes sighs.

- Why did you used that word in the first place?

OOC: A vote against Finnius

As the dwarf wanders down the hallway searching for something new to fight some strange force overwhelms his short, stocky body. It stretches and twists, colors swirl and brighten. Suddenly, the funky form of Tony Manero is dancing down the hallways in full rhinestone bedecked regalia with the BeeGees playing loudly in the background...

Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk,

I'm a woman's man, no time to talk.

Music loud and women warm.

I've been kicked around since I was born.

And now it's all right, it's O.K.

And you may look the other way.

We can try to understand

The New York Times' effect on man.

Whether you're a brother

Or whether you're a mother,

You're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

Feel the city breakin'

And ev'rybody shakin'

And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.

Ah, ha, ha, ha,

Stayin' alive.

Stayin' alive.

Ah, ha, ha, ha,

Stayin' alive.

Well now, I get low and I get high

And if I can't get either I really try.

Got the wings of heaven on my shoes

I'm a dancin' man and I just can't lose.

You know it's all right, it's O.K.

I'll live to see another day....

The dwarf stops suddenly in his tracks, scared beyond belief. "WHOA! DUDE! that was, like, totally freaky! But DUUUUDE! I never knew that I could move like that!! :blink: I wonder who did that to me?"

OOC: Finnius is evil. Finnius must die....

Ayshela throws herself upon Nave in breathless relief, asking:

"Oh god am i glad to see you! Where have you been? Are you alright? What have you been doing? We've been looking for you, didn't you hear us calling?"

She comes to a sudden halt, smiling sheepishly, and awaits answer.

carryover from the Halloween Party thread:

*Pillow finishes his drink and looks down the stairs leading to the haunted house* "Hmm," the former dictator of Wrinklestan muttered," I wonder where that tunnel leads." Feeling adventurous, Pilocanci trots down the stairs and into the house...*

As Pilocanci exits the passage between the mansion and the haunted house the dark shadows gather behind him. As he enters the first room a pair of cold blue sparks that vaguely resemble eyes open in the shadows behind him and regard him coldly. A cold chill settles on the room and a syllibant laughter seems to come from the very walls as the darkness becomes even more oppressive.

The eyes seem to close but the darkness remains.

Vahktang gets a feeling.

A familiar feeling.

He remembers everything he recently ingested.

He looks around at the assorted, then outside the room.

"Umh, 'scuse me."

And begins to exit the room.

"Where ya going," someone calls.

"Use the euphemism," he calls, then heads upstairs.

OOC: C'mon. haunted house, let's explore.

And how are the wolves supposed to get us if we stay bunched together?

I read that in one of the threads. The Mod (or someone) wants us to separate.

Gwaihir heads on through the doorway that he bumped into. "Come on guys, look at this. It's UNBELIEVABLE!" But then as he turned around he saw the little blue man looking at him. "What are you doing behind me like that? I don't think I trust you."

OOC: A vote for Finnius

Restless, some of the guests start once again exploring on their own. Celes, still in the Library, checks yet another stack of books, a whole collection of old manuscripts bound in midnight-blue leather with titles in silver letters. Something there intrigues her, almost as if she should know the previous owner of the book. Unnoticed to her, a small wisp of yellowish smoke comes from the stack of books right behind her.

Vahktang, in the garden, looks curiously at a crumbling headstone right in the middle of what should have been a flower bed. A small movement under the bushes to his right catches his attention, and he looks around to see if there's someone nearby.

Merelas, Brillemire drawn, examines some of the upstairs rooms, lighting a small fire in each fireplace he finds. In the last room, however, he frowns as the fire is repeatedly put out by an odd draft coming from the chimney. Leif, behind him, eyes the corners carefully, fingering Jorgen's Blade.

At the main hall, Papa Smurf blithely ignores Ayshela's question, looking at the other blue man. Tanny and Katz join them, looking for the other members.

As the group of partygoers looks to the little blue man suspiciously, he shrugs and grins, winking at Gnarlitch slyly.

"And I'd've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling dwarves. Oh, and let's not forget-" There's a sudden flash of light, and a small popping sound, and Finnius is nowhere to be seen. All is still for a moment, save a residual crackling in the air, and then a sinister chuckling emenates from upstairs, followed by a ghostly song.

Run, run, but still you lag,

For Jack is at your heels,

The cat's still clawing at its bag,

And no one's safe,

There's no escape,

And none will live to tell this tale!

Just try and find your little friend,

He's hidden well and truly,

And if you fail, he'll meet his end,

His skin so fine,

Just my design,

But death shines much more bluely!

He may not know what he can do,

But I know everything,

You'll know that all I speak is true,

When gathered 'round,

His funeral mound,

A solemn dirge you sadly sing!

You'll never find him all together,

But might in pieces do it,

And really, I don't care whether,

It's figure o' speech,

Or arms, legs, teeth,

Either way, I'll love it!

~~~~~~

OOC

Finnius was the second prankster (=wolf). Congratulations! It's now Night Phase. Wolf/Seer/Baner, you have 24 hours to send me your targets.

But... what happened to the little blue man ? Was he possessed, as Crypt? Can you find him, and help him??

Many thanks to Finn, who sent me his lynching scene!

And great poem also... :)

*hugs*

Edited by Tanuchan

The Stinky Cheer-y Dwarf dances and sings his way joyfully down the hall, headed for the back stairs to the basement. Along the way he is joined by a band of also-short people (munchkins), who sing with him:

DING DONG THE WOLF IS DEAD! THE EVIL WOLF THE WICKED WOLF! DING DONG THE WICKED WOLF IS DEAD! Follow the yellow brick road! :P

Edited by Gnarlitch

Vahktang keeps on the outside, examining the headstones that are spread throughout the garden. As he nears one of them, there's a small movement that catches his attention. He approaches the headstone cautiously, circling it and never noticing a somewhat odd pile of leaves just behind it.

Inside the house, all that Tanny hears is a muffled cry. But, warned by all the recent events, she's quick to call some of the others and dart outside. After sometime, Katz shouts for them, having found Vahktang unconscious at the bottom of a hole.

Tanny climbs down carefully in tanuki form, noticing that the trap was cleverly made, with the first step making the earth crumble and send the victim headlong into the hole. She quickly assesses Vahktang, then asking someone to help carying him out.

The words at the headstone read...

Where is the body who here was buried

Where is the soul that should rest in peace

Where are the tears of a grieved familiy?

Nothing shall you find here

For the body was taken

The soul fled

And the family left.

All that's here is what curiosity brings

A new body to fill the emptiness

A new soul to haunt the house

And friends who wonder who will be next.

~~~~~~

OOC

Vahktang was the Baner. It's Day Phase and you have about 48 hours to find the last prankster!

List of players at the OOC thread.

Good luck!

Edit: typos

Edited by Tanuchan

Celes' fascination with the blue covered book stack is cut short when she starts coughing. She turns around and the yellow smoke is now surronding her, which makes it impossible for her to see where's either the window or the door. Her instinct made her kneeling on the floor.

- HELP!!!! *cough* THERE'S SMOKE OVER HERE!!! *cough*

Celes crawls on the floor, planning to follow the bookcase until she reaches a wall and then, looking for either a window or the door.

Just as the dwarf was about to descend the stairs he heard Tanny's cries of alarm. Responding, he accompanied her and the others out into the garden to find The Ex-Candidate unconscious in a hole. While others help her with the unconscious form, he decides to find out where Vahktang's so-called security detail has gone, ready to give them a stiff reprimand. It is during this search that he notices the yellow smoke seeping out from under the library door and Celes' muffled cries for help.

trying the door knob, he finds that the door has been locked. Quickly he pulls out his lock pick set and goes to work, only to be blasted backward by a large jolt of electricity from a trap. As he pulls himself out of the dwarf shaped hole he has made in the wall opposite the door, he grumbles and growls. This looks especially comical as small blue lightning bolts still dance across his armor and his hair and beard are smoking. At least it looks comical until you notice the look in his eyes...all Cheer is gone. Instead his eyes are filled with and almost indescribable intensity that would make stones cry and dragons flee in terror.

Taking his hammer in two hands he raises it over his head and brings it down on the door knob will all the force he can muster. Lightning seems to explode in every direction, accompanied by shards of metal and slivers of wood. The dwarf steps through the swirling wreakage and into the choking yellow smoke to find Celes barely conscious on the floor. He picks her up and carries her out the gaping hole where the door once stood and down the hall to where Tanny and others have come running due to the explosion. After handing Celes off to those who can help he stands off to the side glaring, studying each "person" in turn, trying to decide who could have done this....

"I know not who it is that be behind all this. But his I know. Ye 'ave pissed me off! First ye targets innocents who 'ave done nothing to ye, young girls an' the like. But now ye be getting bolder. Ye have taken down one that was protecting others, who saved me own life just after we came to this accursed house! Vengeance shall be MINE, sayeth this dwarf! I be calling ye out, yeh mangy cur! Yer pranks be harmful an' I done had enough! Iffn ye got the courage ta face someone in open combat I'll be waiting for ye in the dining hall. One o' us shant be leavin' alive!"

Ayshela has missed most of the commotion, being deeper in the house looking for Nave, Leif, and Merelas. It's an uncomfortable search, as somehow the shadows here feel threatening instead of safe and comfortable. Keeping to the dim edge she notices Celes return to the library. Good, best that book be found as soon as possible. Continuing deeper through the hallways she notices something rather odd, though.

Gwaihir talking to himself? Well, perhaps that's not that uncommon. Gwaihir stumbling over apparently clear floor? No, that's *definitely* not that odd... but Gwaihir conversing with - nothing?? Or, at least, nothing that anyone ELSE can see? Now that's truly peculiar.

Ayshela thinks for a moment and decides it's probably safer, at the moment, to continue searching and ask no questions. Better to ask when she's not alone, at the very least.

Returning toward the library on her way to another set of hallways, she sees Gnarlitch, in a rage, hauling a barely conscious Celes from the library. Feeling a cold rage fill her she knew this had to stop NOW. Enough was a great deal more than enough.

OOC: no accusation - yet.

Merelas ran to the cemetary outside, seeing Vahktang stumble into the hole. Quickly, he meets Tanuchan as she calls for help, and follows her. They reach him barely in time to pull him out of the hole. Merelas checks his vital signs, gripping at Chrissiannia's Jewel in order to pull on its healing powers. He takes Vahktang's hand, closes his eyes, and attempts to aid him in any way he can.

Finishing, he opens his eyes, and attempts to make his friend dressed as the Candidate more comfortable. "Thank you for protecting me," he whispers, and Stands. Anyone near them would have seen his eyes shimmer, tiny specks of blue appearing in the normal brown, until they shone a cold, steel blue-grey.

"Now we end this," he says, before disappearing in his characteristic tower of flame.

He found Gwaihir in the hallway in the manor. Appearing behind him in another of his flames, he draws Brillemiré with an improvised flourish. He narrows his eyes at the blade and it bursts into flame. Merelas advances on Gwaihir quickly, the blade before him like a spotlight as it sends light from the flames into his face.

"Your pranks have gone to far, Gwaihir. I end them now. You will lead me into the dining hall, where I will announce you to the assembled group."

They move slowly, Merelas ready for any sudden movement on Gwaihir's part, and finally reach the room.

"Friends--I have seen this man setting traps all around the house. I am certain, now, that he knew all along where the passageway under Custos Manor lead, and that he has been here before. And before you all, I accuse him of viscious attacks upon our friends and family. Whether he has done this of his own free will or whether he has been under the influence of something else, I cannot say. I do know one thing, though--that he is responsible."

Merelas looks around, hoping for support, and never stowing his blade.

OOC: I accuse the last wolf/prankster, Gwaihir

Edited by Merelas

This time it is not just the light that makes the spacey elf blink. "And why would anyone believe you that I do such things? I am kind, I am a lover of plants and growth. I do not love pain, I do not like pranks one bit and I do not believe in tricks!

YOU are the fire-elf and the trickster perhaps. I am bumbling but kind, spacey but caring and clumsy but kind. I do not hurt others and I do not think they will believe you."

With that Gwaihir turns to the people that have turned to hear Merelas' loud agressive words. "If I were a politician, I would know what to say, I would know the smooth words to defend my innocence. I am not. I am plain Gwaihir. Many of you have known me for years. I have tended the gardens around here for longer and I have always had a helping hand for everyone. If I have hurt you it's probably because I've fallen over your foot, if I have offended you it is because I was too foolish to realize and if I have done either then I've surely apologized, probably too often.

Merelas, on the other hand, is better of speech than I, and he does not walk into doors. Perhaps his hand is the smooth mover that could set these traps. He has the right sort of dexterity in his mind too. He sees how people work...and how to trick us.

Beware of the fire elf, and if you kill me, I warn you it will (gods defend me) be a mistake. I ask you all, my fellow pen members, to gather around me and help me to find the danger in our midst.

OOC: Edited because I forgot to formally say that I am accusing Merelas

Edited by Gwaihir

Merelas sneers, and his eyes narrow at Gwaihir--still ice blue.

"You would accuse me?!" he scoffs, clearly disgusted. Although he cannot tell whether or not Gwaihir is sane, he is clearly decided that he doesn't like whatever is going on with him.

"I would ask you all to remember that it was me who helped our hostess Salinye back to the hostel, and myself who gained the aid of Katzaniel and her friends. Vahktang was kind enough to lend me his security personell to protect me while I was out trying to determine who was causing these attacks--and thus, I am the reason that he was not protected from the cemetary." Merelas looks down, ashamed. "That injury, I will take upon myself. He protected me while I was seeing Gwaihir, and even Finnius.

"And now the final wolf among the lambs would have you believe that I am the one who's been doing the harm! I swear to you, with the Gods and goddesses as my witnesses, I am not. Please believe me when I tell you that I have only your best interests at heart--I beg you to believe me."

He turns then, and looks at Gwaihir. "He would have you find the evil amongst us, and I would ask no less. Perhaps it is that he isn't aware of what he's been doing... but nonetheless, for his sake and ours, we must restrain him from committing any more evil."

His eyes narrow again somewhat appraisingly as he glances at Gwaihir.

Edited by Merelas

Celes slowly comes back into her sense while coughing heavily. She pulls off a tissue out of her sleeves and spat a oozy mucus. Although the sight of this thing was disgusting, it helped her to ease her soared throat. Then she heard the accusations fling from one side to another. She listens to them, coughs for a moment and then voices her opinion.

- I can account the doings of many of the people who are around here. But it is not the case for everyone. Merelas was often around me and helped me checking for the books. I've recalled that both Vahktang and Ayshela were nearby the Library. But I had no ideas about Gwaihir's whereabouts between any incidents.

OOC: A vote against Gwaihir.