The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Werewolf XIII: Halloween '04

Tanuchan

Welcome to Werewolf XIII - Halloween '04 edition!!

For this game, this is the setting: a tunnel is discovered under Custos Manor during the Halloween Party, and several of the guests decide to follow it to the end. It opens in a Haunted House! Feel free to create the whole setting... ;)

Important Notes

• the poll/sign-up thread will be used as OOC thread: any OOC and mod comments will be there, except for the accusations;
  • PM alliances allowed; however, all PMs must be IC and copied to your friendly mod (aka me :P)
  • when accusing, please add an OOC line clarifying your vote;
  • day phases last 48 hours; night phases, 24 hours. RP is free during night phases, however no accusation/speculation whatsoever;
  • "dead" players: feel free to creat a ghost and post... see rules below!
  • wolves: guests who have been cursed (a drunk mage... heh) and become incorrigible pranksters; there will be 3 wolves;
  • Seer: someone who has a Scrying Mirror; no stating of role OOC;
  • Baner: depends on who gets the role, but either has an amulet or magical power that can protect one person; no stating of role OOC;
  • effects of baning:
Baned Result
wolves' victim no kill
wolf if more than one wolf = normal kill; if one wolf = no kill
anyone but wolves' victim normal kill

Official list of player

• Leif => Piazza of Portraits
  • Mynx => Piazza of Portraits; however, she has just got Intoxicated by cryptomancer's magic drink, so she's stuck with CheerMynx for the durations of the game... :P
  • Lady Celes => Piazza of Portraits
  • Dragonqueen => there's a nice description on her profile :)
  • Elwen => description
  • Cryptomancer => Piazza of Portraits
  • Vahktang => Mr. Vahktang, Presidential Candidate
  • Nave => Papa Smurf
  • Gwaihir => a story;
  • YanYan => story
  • Ayshela => Poetic Portrait
  • Dean => mage, a little over protective of booze; has a familiar (Phil D. Cat);
  • HappyBuddha => at another party
  • Merelas => at Hostel Fox
  • Finnius => a story
  • Gnarlitch => Dwarf tales
  • Degenero Angelus => Transe, the KindaVampire; he's tall and pale. He has no lower jaw, so he has learned to feed on the souls of victims. He's a very cheesy, old horror movie style vampire.
NPC/mod:To those who aren't playing the ww game, an invitation: would you like to come over with a Ghost character? So, post your "ghost character" here (though not necessary) and go on to haunt the daring guests who are at the Haunted House! The rules are below:

Ghost Character's Rules

• you can interact with any player as you want: touching, sounds, pranks, even spooky speech; don't injure/kill the guests, though ;)
  • however, you cannot in any way give your opinions as to the identity of the "wolves", nor try to influence the votes in any way; not even speculations;
  • if you wish, you can PM players to set some special prank/reaction, copied to the mod (aka me :P)
  • if you plan to be a "regular" ghost, it would be nice if you can post a small description at this thread; otherwise, for "once-timers", just have fun;
Have fun! :)

~~~~

Edit: Updating list of players, rules, and adding Ghost characters.

Edited by Tanuchan

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The party goes on, people having fun in one way or another. Ayshela dances with Xaious, finding it somewhat trying as her partner is almost exactly five minutes and half slower in following the rhythm. YanYan surrenders the DJ position to Dean for a quick turn at dancing, grabbing Celes' on his way to the dancing floor. Katz, bowing to Tanny, invites her to dance also. A loud crash, followed by acute yerfing, freezes both of them on their way to the dance floor. Other eyes fly into the direction of the noise, the rare sober people hearing also giggling mixing to the yerfs.

"Daryl!" cries Salinye, darting into the corridor that leads to the basement.

"Mynx...?" wonders Cryptomancer, gesturing his bar away and joining the growing line of people going after Salinye, Tanny, and Katz.

Daryl meets Salinye at the door to the basement, having broken free of Mynx and yerfing indignantly. She removes the colar and the pink bow, what calms the grinning fox somewhat, then he yerfs some more, poining at the open door.

"A what? Cave in? In my basement?!?"

Wondering, the group enters carefully. Someone brings light, and at the center of the basement a large hole can be seen. Kneeling by it, Merelas' is shouting at Mynx.

"Hey, are you alright?"

"Merelas?" Tanny joins him, "I haven't seen you enter... "

"I was grabbed by that... hm... CheerMynx... as soon as I entered... she was babbling something about shiny and pretty stuff... then entered the basement. We heard a noise, rushed in... found the hole... she's down there..."

Katz peers down curiously, poking first with her spear. Then she nods, "It seems there's a tunnel in here. I believe CheerMynx is following it... I think I can hear her giggling... "

Salinye looks as surprised as everyone else.

"A tunnel? Under Custos Manor? But I never..."

"Sure not, Sal." Ayshela opens her way to the group peering down the tunnel. "But I guess we should find CheerMynx... before she gets into more trouble."

Some sighs are heard, but mostly there are happy cheers at the prospect of investigating a mysterious tunnel that has just appeared under Custos Manor -- and just at Halloween!!

~~~~~~

The tunnel opens into a Haunted House. Feel free to RP all the way through the tunnel and the first exploration of the House - both inside and outside. Roles will be sent on Monday, when game starts. Until then, sign-up is still open. Have fun!

Cryptomancer steps forward, eyeing the tunnel, then in a rare display of sheer bravado, draws weapons and grinning steps into the tunnel, (oddly enough his shadow seems to have more weapons than him) "turning to the crowd smile firmly in place, he winks, "I see no reason to break from character to explore carefully so, here goes." With that Cryptomancer charges after Mynx and in a true barbarian style accompanies it with a perfectly suited battlecry.

:raven:

Slipping away from her brother in the crowd, Elwen manages to find her way to the basement. Her kitsune curiosity immediately perks up when she sees the tunnel: what could be down there?

Quietly, she slips into the tunnel.

Time to see what was in there. WITHOUT her brother tagging along.

"Holy Lord of the Chicken Dance (don't ask)", Yan Yan exclaims," you never said anything about having a frickin' batcave down here?" Yan Yan looks around the cave. "Be right back," he replies before running back up the stairs to a dark green van he pulled up to the party in, retrieving night vision goggles for everyone, audio amplifiers, and proton packs (just for show, sorry; can't afford the real thing :P ). He goes back to the others, passing out his load of equipment to everyone, explaining how everything works (and informing CheerMynx FIVE TIMES that the night vision goggles are not X-ray glasses).

Yan Yan :phoenix:

Merelas passes on the night vision goggles, not comfortable with the fancy technology. Instead, he waves a hand, and a globe of fire appears above his head, burning brightly and giving light to his efforts, He draws Brillemire with a flourish, and jogs down the tunnel. His sword gives of an odd orange glow constantly, and he moves quickly in the darkness with his items.

"Mynx!" He yells, looking for the happy version of the penster. Looking behind him, he realizes suddenly that he's left the group behind him. He stops for a moment to allow them to catch up, and to catch his breath.

Giggling idly to herself, CheerMynx bounced down the tunnel, utterly unaware of the growing darkness, nor the desperate calls of the other party hosts. Her attention was focused solely on a trio of sparkling silvery lights that danced in front of her eyes and continued down the passage.

Giggling and bouncing after them, CheerMynx leaps and tries to catch one of the glowing lights in her paw, but only succeeds in dropping a pompom.

Continuing on her way, she finally comes out into a large room.

The lights disappear and the overly happy cheerleader finds herself in a huge room that looks as if it was once a ballroom, or a similar area for hosting.

It had long since been neglected however, and the room was full of shadows, dust, and cobwebs.

Stopping in her tracks and blinking as she waited for the spots in front of her eyes to disappear, CheerMynx suddenly realised she was alone. In a big scarey room. With no alcohol.

"Is...is anyone there?" She calls out hesitantly, clutching her remaining pompom close to herself. Her sensitive ears begin to pick up noises; the scuttling of spiders, the creaks of the old building, and she began to whimper softly.

Turning around, she tries to find the tunnel she came through, trying to stay calm but only succeeding in the way horror film cheerleaders do (ie not at all).

Finding a dark passage, CheerMynx wonders if it is the way back to the party.

Despite her fear of spooky stuff and spiders, she was willing to risk the scarey tunnel if it meant getting out of the scarier room.

About to head down the tunnel, CheerMynx suddenly hears an echoed battlecry coming through the tunnel, the acoustics of the passage removing any recognisable traits of the Cryptomancer's voice for the feline's panicing mind, only the knowledge that it was coming closer.

With a barely suppressed shriek of terror, CheerMynx runs and hides behind an old piano, crashing into it with a dischordant shriek from the old notes and strings, and awakening a nest full of spiders, that begin to crawl on the cheerleader in annoyance.

Shrieking louder now, CheerMynx begins to jump about and shake herself, trying to get rid of the icky scarey bugs.

The crashes and shrieks coming from the drunk feline echo throughout the room, house, and down into the passage...

Edited by Mynx

Many people tire of parties at some point, but if one is a walking disaster to all parties, then one tends to reach that point much more quickly. Thus, it was not long before Gwaihir was searching for peace and quiet. First he moved towards his room, but he could still all the noise of the party there and...honestly he did feel social. He didn't really want to sit around alone, it's just that he couldn't stand all the crazy confusion of a party. There had to be Someone else who felt that way he figured finally, so he went walking.

Then, as he stuck his head out his door, he saw CheerMynx bounding down into the basement. Hell, if that's where the fun was, he figured.

Others squealed at the dark tunnel, but Gwaihir followed them patiently. When it got to dark for even an elf to see, he shrugged and tamed a firefly. When he asked it to flicker, it always did.

Who knew where this led but at least it looked like an adventure.

Leif looks at the tunnel entrance. "What the heck, I've only had a couple of bottles, this could be fun."

Leif quickly walks over to the bar and gathers a couple of more bottles of mead and heads over to the tunnel. Peering inside to make sure the terrain is not too rough that he would drop his mead, he starts walking down the tunnel ....

The loud shrieking and crashing noises soon echo through the passage. Tanny, who had used her tanuki form for its agility and small size (always better in crowds), shimmers into her wolf form and quickens her pace. Darkness is not a problem to her, and she can see ahead a faint glimmer.

In no time she catches up with Merelas, who's peering ahead. She nudges him gently but steps quickly back as she senses the blade. Brillemire stops inches from her nose.

*Gosh, you're a nervous elf!* she mutters, looking at him.

"Tanny! Don't you ever come that softly from behind, please!" He looks farther behind, noticing the others approaching.

*Never when you have Brillemire drawn, for sure.* snorts her, perking her ears on hearing some softer crashing and a mutter oddly resembling a "I'm sorry". *What was that?*

Tanny nudges Merelas again, and he nods, "Yes, I heard something... "

Gwaihir, not too far ahead of them, mutters absent-minded apologies to a stalagmite while bending to examine some strange glowing fungi that grow in a corner of the roughly-hewn tunnel.

~~~~

Edit: typo

Edited by Tanuchan

Dq drifts after the minor crowd gravitating towards the basement. She stops at the mouth of the tunnel, and wonders for a moment about the possibility of spiders. What the heck...It's Halloween. What better time to explore a spooky tunnel? Having made up her mind, Dq steps into the tunnel and is instantly blinded by the darkness. She stops, and puts an arm out to the side. Finding the wall, she keeps one hand on it to guide herself. Progress is slow as Dq ventures forth...

It is well known that when a dark, mysterious place pops up from time to time, usually secret magics are locked withen. Thus the primal urge deep withen all wizards is to seek out people with skills to help tham, delve into the area of interst, and seek the magics and treasures amidst the obvious peril therein. Which is why so many established wizards have a familier. Someone that is inanely terrified of this prospect on a level the usual overconfidant wizard can never seek to attain.

Of course the re-wiring of Dean's priorites hinders him getting involved as well...

Dean quickly stands by, innnocently sipping on a bit of his bubbling concoction, when poor Phil runs up.

"Hey! Dean, theres some sort of cavern here now. We, and by we I mean you, should check it out!"

Dean scowls at the suggestion and points at his freshened up drink. Phil slowly shook his head.

"You know Dean... It could have the recipe for Vilimenster's Alcohol Enchancer..."

Now the frown turns upside down... The ancient wizard instincts are kicking in... Yeah, the old juices are flowing again... It's, it's time to.... BE BACK!!!

Dean whips off the mask. The flowing robes of a traditional wizard are shaken away in a flash of light. In it's place a satin-fine smoking jacket with a pale glowing neon martini glass on the left breast pocket. Finely tailored pants. A pair of shoes a lounge singer would give up his worst song on. And finally a cigerette pops into his waiting mouth. The drink, stays.

"Well then," Dean says "Time to earn our share."

Dean puts a pattented sippy cup lid (now designed for martini glasses) on his drink and wanders over to the people gathering at the cave.

"Hey! Wanna see a trick! Buuuorp. Wait! Don't run off... that wasn't it!"

Phil shakes his head... Now to see if he can get Dean to change him back into a cat. FOr now, he settles on grabbing a bag of party ice and dragging it along with him.

"I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel."

And, with that, The Candidate enters.

He follows the others, wondering about all the weapons.

'Thought this was a party. Not ready for _that_ kind of party.'

He reaches the end of the tunnel and enters the house proper.

'Ohh, green glow-in-the-dark-house-up-on-the-hill. Spooooky.

'Whoever hosted this part did a good job.'

"Well, I guess I'm the Alan/Fred part."

""Let's all separate and look for clues.""

"Who's with me?"

*stealthily Yan Yan stalkes down the passage, which is lit up in bright green hues due to the night vision goggles. Slowly, he sneaks up behind Tanny~wolf, arms outstretched and ready to bear hug. In a quick jolt, Yan Yan pounces the wolf screaming,"Boogy-boogy-boogy!" As Tanny yelps in fright, Yan Yan falls backwards with laughter* "Damn, I got you good!"

Ayshela looks at the tunnel entrance, and then at the people crowding through heading toward - god knows where, wherever CheerMynx was. Mynx.. Ayshela's eyes narrowed slightly as she heard the faint traces of Mynx's shrieks, and YanYan's laughter at pouncing Tanny. With a few mumbled words and a slight gesture, Ayshela vanished from sight. Heading invisibly off toward the tunnel, she wondered if she could get to the other end where Mynx was without accidentally breaking the arms of some unfortunate who startled her?

So first off, let me say this: when a large group of assorted mages, some of whom you are even familiar with, begins filing into a mysterious tunnel with Zool-knows-what at the end, one becomes distinctly reminded that there are far worse things in the depths of Terra, whether New or Old, than mere moles or earthworms.

Secondly, when one is dealing with the grounds of the Mighty Pen, or those of any of its myriad inhabitants/visitors, the chances of those "far worse things" unearthing to wreak bloody revenge become distinctly multiplied. Besides, the party was nice, but the siren song of scotch had been calling my name all night, and I wasn't about to make an unfortunate repeat of my semi-infamous striptease at the last costume party I had attended.

Still, several of the afore-mentioned mages were quite capable of defending themselves and/or others, and so for a short time I milled about the party, making small talk with the remaining partygoers and attempting to find Ayshela... I'd noticed her earlier, and thought she might like a dance.

But Ayshela was nowhere to be found, and there was still this niggling doubt at the back of my mind as I mingled.

This isn't safe, Finny, and you know it...

Most likely not, but what could I really do to help? After all, they've got at least two competent mages with them. I can barely light a rug fire, and that's on a good day.

You and your stupid rug fire! Honestly, Finn, why are you always so down on yourself? Sure, you're surrounded by god-like beings who can bend time to their will, or call up living flame, or snap the threads of fate like the tiniest twigs, but so what? You've managed fine so far.

Fine, be like that. But think about it this way; as many times as you've died, you've always managed to come back. How many other "mere mortals" can say they've seen the things that you have?

Er-

Not many! And besides... you were a mage once. Not the best of mages, granted, but what you lacked in power you more than made up for in finess. And somewhere in that absent-mind of yours, you still remember how to do all that stuff. All you have to do is give yourself the benefit of the doubt once in a while.

But-

Now get in that tunnel, and try to make sure nobody gets hurt!

Fine, fine... bully.

Or something like that, anyway.

As you can tell, my internal dialogue is often a bit... divided. On this occasion, however, as I adjusted my white mask and swirling cloak, it led me to an unknown tunnel beneath Custos Manor, and into the darkness below.

The Predator costume shimmers and disappears, revealing the familiar figure of the battle hardened dwarf, fully armed and accoutered. He straps his shield onto his left arm and then draws his warhammer. The silver and bronze inlay on his full plate armor gleams brightly, even in the dim light of the basement. After a quick hawk and spit he makes his way down the new tunnel, grinning evilly and not even needing to duck like most of the others.

Cryptomancer charges untill suddenly in the middle of a large room, he stops.

Looking left then right, (his shadow, still with more weapons, looks right then left)

Suddenly aware of the noise coming from the piano he slowly approaches, drawn weapons gleaming in the pale light. Stepping closer he begins to hear the decernable wimpers of a destressed feline, amide the cursing of spiders and scary rooms and all things icky.

Peeking around the edge of the piano he sees Mynx, one pompom down, trying to remove spiders from her by waving her hands and saying icky a lot.

"Mynx?" Mynx screams, then recognition dawns and she screams again, making the ears of the Cryptomancer ringing with the twin vocalisations of the young feline.

"Crypt, you saved me!!!"

"Shh, where are we?"

"You came to find me and save me!!!!"

"Shh, calm down and be quieter."

"Oh gods!! I like totally lost a pompom, (screams)"

Cryptomancer flickes the spider off her nose and looks her in the eyes.

"Shh, lets figure out where we are, and wait for the others to get here... ok?"

Standing the two mages (very well disguised mages) step out into the room once more, the emptyness seeming to swallow all light, and return it to the eyes as a faint green glow. Cryptomancer grins, "spooky" Mynx screams again as something moves in the shadows of the tunnel.

Celes is suddenly thrown to the ground by YanYan, who crashes into her. He tries to crawl back onto his feet frantically, but a growling ball of black fur hits him and tackles him to the ground. Sharp teeth flash, but they don't do more than scratch YanYan's arms and legs, as Tanny doesn't really want to hurt him.

*So you like pranks, right? How do you like this one?*

Mynx grabs onto Cryptomancer as first Celes, then YanYan and tanny tumble into the room, her scream echoes around the room, seeing the wolf flashing a very sharp set of teeth at the new member, Cryptomancer tries to react, only to find himself further hindered by a CheerMynx who is now recognising the people on the ground and in her ever important quest for alcohol at the party, pounces.

Tanny is very surprised to find heself in the full embrace of a very feline cheerleader, who seems to be tanling nonstop about all things icky and a lot of 'like totally' and 'like' and 'omg' thrown into the bubbling speech.

YanYan is surprised to find a 15foot shadow of the Cryptomancer (still holding more weapons too) restraining him, while he waits for the Cryptomancer to start questioning as to why Tanny attacked him.

Cryptomancer waves a hand and his shadow seems to appear just as mose highly armed warrior's shadows do, (very well armed) and standing in the corner, blocking all escape. "Hey, about time someone else got here, Mynx found us a room to explore, and a lot of spiders."

:raven:

Merelas follows Tanuchan into the room, walking slowly and finding several people in a group cuddling on the floor. He raises an eyebrow, chuckling a little. He sheathes the sword at his back, but maintains the fire.

:Now now, Tanny... no picking on the new ones. I thought you'd be nicer than that,: he thinks.

*Hah! You say that because it wasn't you!*, answers her, mindspeaking to Merelas. *I remember how you almost skewered me, and I wasn't even trying to scare you!*

She finally backs from YanYan -- not that she has much choice, with CheerMynx spread all over her and hugging her as if she were her teddy bear.

*Now, Mynx... let me go? I can't breathe...*

As CheerMynx completely ignores her and keeps screaming in her ears, Tanny sighs. Her form shimmers, and a tanuki quickly escapes from her arms. The feline falls down with a yelp of surprise, knocking YanYan down again.

Tanny-tanuki grins, winking mischievously, then joins Cryptomancer.

"I heard about the spiders... " she grimaces, shimmering back to human form. "It gave me a headache, to tell you the truth. Are the others here yet?" She turns to Merelas, who nods.

"I guess so. Most of them, anyway. "

Slowly the others arrive, some curious and others wary, taking in the dusty, dark room. Most of the fighters have some weapon drawn, while the mages clearly have some spell ready if need comes. (Though it seems that Phil is readier than Dean...)

All of a sudden, there's a rattling sound coming from somewhere up. As several of the mages conjure some kind of light and Gwaihir sends some fireflies ahead, the now dimly lit room reveals its features.

Besides the grand piano, there can be seen couches and side tables around a stone fireplace; several objetcts are seen on the mantelpiece, and a coat of arms is hung over it. Several paintings and tapetries hang from the walls between the curtained windows, the lights making shadows dance eerily over them. There seems to be doors, also, and several other features quite undistinguishable in the shadows. In the center of the room, right under a big chandelier, an imposing staircase leads to an upper floor. Midway up, it branches in two, going to each side of what seems to be a gallery or a corridor.

The rattling sound is heard again, fainter, followed by a soft rustle, and then silence.

Dragonqueen screams suddenly, stumbling back and bumping into Gnarlitch.

"Hey!" grunts him.

"I... I felt something touching me!" gasps her, looking wildly around.

A cold touch startles also Leif, and Vahktang suddenly notices a curtain moving. There's no open windows, though.

Tanny, again as a wolf, wonders for a second what mage has lit the candles around the room.

~~~~

Edit: typo

Edited by Tanuchan

Merelas draws Brillemire again, and makes a flicking motion at it. The sword bursts into flame, and the fire-elf brandishes it before him. He looks around them, carefully watching everything.

He was nervous. This... room gave him an eery feeling and he didn't like it. He attempted to calm himself by muttering an old prayer his father had taught him.

Shadows always stray from light,

Let my flames set wrong to right.

I'll set a bonfire towering here,

To reveal the source of all fears.

I'll take my candle, hold it high--

So the world may see the light.

Let my fires pierce the night.

It helped... a little.