The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WEREWOLF HO-O!

Gnarlitch

OOC: *claps* Well put, my dearest "Jake".

And, although I was one who withdrew my vote last round, I understand Itchy's frustration. As a player, it is extremely difficult to develop a theory without voting history to look at. Players can make up anything they want, but it is their mode of activity and their voting history that forms the real clues. The grace and nuance of the game is in placing your votes in such a way as to influence others, either to believe in your innocence or to lay blame on your mates. It is strategy. Abstaining on occasion is strategy. Abstaining time after time isn't.

Edit for IC:

Trudy stands in the flickering light of the community campfire, her eyes flashing in echo of the flames at the outrageous scene before her. Little Nell hides behind her skirts, and Isaiah and Polly watch from the edges of the gathering with eyes as wide as saucers.

"I can excuse Mr. Gunther's hasty words; he obviously had deep feeling for the girl...But you, Amanda! Standing by your husband is one thing, and very admirable, but to accuse a man simply because he points a finger in your family's direction? *tsk* Mr. Cartwright has been thoughtful and wise. He has avoided voicing wild accusations. He has acted with calm and propriety at all times, neither proud nor vain. And yet you accuse him.

My children love you, Amanda, but I cannot condone your accusation. I must add my suspicions to those of Mr. Cartwright. The would-be judge is too judgmental for comfort!

OOC: Vote for Merelas/Nathaniel Bluett.

Edited by Jammeez

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOC: Sorry Jake. My mistake.

I apologize to everyone for my bumbling this game. It was my first, as you all know.

OOC

Merelas, you're an exceptionally good RPer, and I can say this having the experience of playing your "wife".

You did no bumbling, and you're doing really well for a first-time player. Please, keep your nice RPing and share the fun with us! :)

Edited by Tanuchan

((OOC: No, you're not bumbling, Merelas. Bumbling would be me on any of the Kenzerco games, or on the first game I played...you're doing a very good job.))

Rosalie paces back and forth, long red-gold braid whipping behind her, disturbed by the wild accusations flying back and forth, and sorrowful over Cat's disappearance. There is something here that she is missing...some clue. But what?

"May God forgive us if we are wrong." she finally says, apparently calmly but with the hint of the slightest tremor to her voice, and adds her voice to those of her kinsfolk.

((OOC: Abraham Cartwright))

((OOC: No, you're not bumbling, Merelas. Bumbling would be me on any of the Kenzerco games, or on the first game I played...you're doing a very good job.))

((OOC No bumbling there either for you, Elwen. Many of us who don't have much time end up cutting down RP there, and no one really minds. It's a different forum, a different style. ))

OOC stuff:

Hey i know you all dont like the dead correcting your mistakes but when someone screws up my own death, it can't be ignored.

Yes, it can.

One of the points of the dead is that they can't talk, can't influence a vote.

It's up to the players to figure things out.

From the original rules of the game:

Contrariwise, dead players may not speak at all. As soon as the sun comes up and the moderator indicates that someone is dead, he may not speak for the rest of the game. No dying soliloquies allowed. Similarly, as soon as a majority vote indicates that a player has been lynched, he is dead. If he wants to protest his innocence or reveal some information (like the seer's visions), he has to do it before the vote goes through.

And an example from the same site:

(I've seen a game where one player -- a werewolf -- recited the history of the game up to that point: "X was murdered, then we lynched Y, then Z was murdered..." And he swapped two names, a night-murder and a day-lynching, to confuse matters. It would be unfair for a dead player to say "Hey, that's not right, I was lynched!")

Sorry, but I am a big stickler for the rules.

Since we are on the boards and it may be a week (or more) after a death before a game ends, we've been allowing the dead to lurk, do Role Playing, etc, which is fine.

OOC: Sorry Jake. My mistake.

I apologize to everyone for my bumbling this game. It was my first, as you all know.

I agree with Gnarlitch, and everybody else.

You're doing fine.

If you're having fun at the game, you're doing it right.

With some suggestions from the mods and few old hands.

:)

And I am saying this as:

* the one the dead guy's observation helps

* the one the new guy is attacking

So I think my opinions are slightly weighted.

Now, a personal note:

How am I doing?

New to this board, am I posting too agressively?

Playing too in-character to the detriment of the on-line community?

If I am a problem I want to know. I'm having fun here and don't want to spoil a party.

There was a troll over to Kenzerco, a ninja nut, annoying as hell, that I (and a bunch of others) wanted banned.

I don't want to that guy.

Should I pull it back a notch? Half a notch?

Your comments are welcome.

If you don't want to post them public, PM me. PM are confidential and will remain so.

Thanks.

And dang, this is a fun game.

More later,

Vahktang

Edited by Vahktang

OOC:

I think while the big dogs have been fighting, the wolves have been laughing.

Few posts aren't usually the wolves.

Lots of posts aren't usually the wolves.

Quiet ones, under the radar, are usually the wolves.

Like Elwen.

In these RP werewolf games we have a plus and a minus, just that, role playing.

When we have a close friend/family member it's real hard to vote against them.

Especially if we RP with them a lot.

We did a Sunnydale game over to Kenzerco where I played Evil Willow and did some RP stuff with Willow (played by Jameez). And she was the wolf. I never would have voted for her and got killed for it.

To that end:

I accuse Elwen~~Rosalie Tanisson~~

And if I was doing:

'You accused me so I'm going to accuse you I would be accusing Merelas'

He has convinced me he is not the wolf in this game. Or he is of the level of Gnarlitch, Jameez, et al amoung the giants of the game.

I've already played my Metagame 'I'm not the werewolf' card. If you choose to ignore it this time, please remember for next time.

Remember, we need a wolf this vote or the next or we lose.

IC stuff later in the day.

More later,

Vahktang

Edited by Vahktang

OOC: I'm lost IC. I have no idea what's going on at this point.

IC: Markus black looks on, watching the proceedings.

Abraham, a murderer? Maybe. Maybe not. To hell if I know, but we've got to go with someone, and he's the best of the bunch right now.

OOC again: Vote for Abraham Cartwright/Vahktang.

And, on a completely different note, Vahk, I really don't like your little I'm innocent card, in the slightest. It's almost a form of cheating, in my opinion.

"But you, Amanda! Standing by your husband is one thing, and very admirable, but to accuse a man simply because he points a finger in your family's direction? *tsk* Mr. Cartwright has been thoughtful and wise. He has avoided voicing wild accusations. He has acted with calm and propriety at all times, neither proud nor vain. And yet you accuse him."

Amanda shakes her head, sighing. Then adds in a very low voice, "Trudy, I respect your opinion. But Nate is my husband, I know him, and I know how gentle and caring he his. And Rosalie is my dearest sister, and just I know how much she has suffered. So, Mr. Cartwright's accusations *are* wild."

"And... I can't consider such a rude person as thoughtful and wise. Sorry, Trudy. He may be innocent, but I won't condemn my own family, who I believe more innocent than him."

OOC Vote stands. And I don't like the "innocent card", either. I don't play considering it.

~~~~~~

Edit: correcting the idea of the "innocent card"

Edited by Tanuchan

Way too much OOC over here.

This is supposed to be the IC thread.

Going over to werewolf Q & A.

Please join me there.

Sorry for the interruption.

Apologies to all.

More later,

Vahktang

Edited by Vahktang

OOC: Oh, pooh-head! If Tangy's convinced then I guess I'd better try to salvage his life...

IC: At Mr. Cartwright's refusal to back her up, Trudy is a bit confused. She kneels and wraps her arms around little Nell, whose chubby arms encircle her neck.

"Isaiah, Polly, time for bed. Off with ya!" With a last glance around the fire at the gathered faces, Mrs. McAlister gathers up the child and walks back to her wagon.

"Momma, why is ev'ybuddy mad at Mr. Ben?"

"I don't know, Baby. They're worried about Cat."

"Cat's gone."

"I know, Baby."

"Where'd she go, Momma?"

Trudy hesitates, unsure how to break the news to her baby girl. "Well, Cat has gone back to her family..."

"Are they in heaven, Momma?"

Gertrude stumbles slightly in surprise. "Nell! *sigh* Yes, I suppose they are, Honey. How did you know?" She sets little Nell on the ledge of the wagon, and looks into her face.

"Cat told me her momma and poppa were in the sky - isn't that where heaven is, Momma?" Trudy nods. "She said she'd go an' see 'em one day. She said she didn't 'member 'em much, but she missed 'em. She said the people she lived with taught her about the sky, and they said we all go there someday...Momma?"

*sniff* "Yes, baby?"

"Is Poppa in heaven?" Trudy nods. "Will I go to heaven?" Trudy nods. "Will Polly and Isa?" Trudy nods. The child thinks seriously for a minute. "Momma, Mr. Nate will go to heaven, too."

Trudy replies slowly, "well, Honey, we want everyone to go to heaven one day."

"Not Rosalie." Nell pouts.

Trudy's breath catches in her throat. "Why, whatever do you mean, Child? Has she hurt you?" Trudy's heart pounds with trepidation.

"No, Momma...She isn't nice...She was mean to Mr. Markus. He came over when I was playing...when Polly was sad..."

"Go on, Baby, what happened?"

"Mr. Markus wanted to see 'Manda, but Rosalie was mean to 'im. She told 'im to go away and never come back. She said bad things, Momma...Momma, I like Mr. Markus."

Mrs. McAlister pulls Nell into her arms again. "I know, Baby. I do too. But sometimes people say things we can't understand. Maybe Rosalie had her reasons. Maybe she knows something we don't know. She loves Amanda and Mr. Nate, right?" Nell nods. "And she's nice to you?" Nell nods again. "Don't you worry, Honey. Your poppa is watchin' over you. He's watchin' over all of us. No matter what happens, we'll be together, ya hear? If we ever have to say goodbye, you remember we'll see each other in heaven, okay?" Nell nods again.

"Okay, Baby, time for bed." With a kiss, she hands the girl through the canvas flap into Polly's arms. Then she returns thoughtfully to the campfire.

I wish I knew what Nell really saw that day! What business has Mr. Black at the Bluett wagon, especially to talk to Amanda? On the other hand, why should Rosalie take such offense at his visit? It doesn't make any sense...unless...

OOC: I'll change my vote to Rosalie...let's see what happens.

Edited by Jammeez

Ben feels like cursing again, specifically about his sore feet.

All these weeks on the trail, on top of the hardships, the senseless murders.

He looks around and sees Eric driving the wagon, Adam keeping an eye on Joe, walking behind him.

They were all on their second pairs of shoes. Would have to find a cobbler before Oregon in case these broke, too.

He thinks back to Trial of the Century in the town next to his when he was growing up. A family, axe murdered, the only suspect the only survivor, the second girl. Just like Rosalie.

It was blamed first by indians, but there hadn't been any indians in the area, blood thirsty or otherwise for more than a generation.

Her lawyer had talked about second child something or other. How the fact they didn't get the attention the eldest or youngest did made them 'more violent' or somesuch nonsense.

He didn't see it, but he did pay special attention to all his boys, each respectively. Hard as that was, what with chores and everything else, he prayed to God every night that it was enough.

OOC: an accusation for: Elwen~~Rosalie Tanisson~~.

And I hope that I don't get hung because then:

:) :) :)

More later,

Vahktang

SCORE CARD

Tanny~~Amanda Tanisson~~>>>Vahktang/Cartwright

Elwen~~Rosalie Tanisson~~>>>Vahktang/Cartwright

Vahktang~~Abraham Cartwright~~>>>Elwen/Rosalie Tannisson

Jammeez~~Gertrude "Trudy" Young McAllister~~>>>Elwen/Rosalie Tannisson

Merelas~~Nathaniel Bluett~~>>>Vahktang/Cartwright

DeantheAdequate~~"Blondie"~~

Degenero~~Markus Black~~>>>Vahktang/Cartwright

Solivagus~~Gunther~~>>>Tanny/Amanda Tannisson

well, we're only waiting for one vote now with 2 hours to go...Dean/Blondie. However, unless you guys start changing votes back and forth like last time *begins praying that they don't* his vote won't affect the outcome. Mr. Cartwright, are you ready to meet your maker? :wolf:

...However, unless you guys start changing votes back and forth like last time *begins praying that they don't*  his vote won't affect the outcome...

Well, I'm still hoping some people do change their vote. How do you like them apples? :P

Nate, his conscience bothering him, decides he must talk to Mr. Cartwright.

Nate "Mr. Cartwright, I hate to do this, but I feel it is in the best interests of the wagon train. That girl Cat has disappeared, and I believe that there needs to be some form of justice. I know that this is crude, but we don't exactly have enough time or the resources to set up an investigation and courtroom proper. I'm afraid I have to accuse you of the murders that have taken place so far, as well as Cat's dissapearance."

Cartwright "Well, Nathaniel, very stand up of you to say that. But out here when you say a thing like that to a man it's a good idea to have a gun on your hip. Like mine," he says, showing off his colt revolver in it's holster. That way, if you are talking to a guilty man and they decide to shoot you, you can pull your own gun and shoot back."

Nathaniel looks shaken, then looks back at the other wagons and witnesses, all too far away to help if he needs it.

Cartwright "Same with an innocent man with a hair trigger that doesn't take well to a false accusation," he says, slightly harshly. Ben smiles. "Fortunately, I'm neither. Now, just go back to your encampment, keep you accusations to yourself, don't try these spurious arguements out on anyone else, or you'll be Sorry."

Nathaniel pales slightly, but stands his ground.

Nate "That sounds an awful lot like a threat, Mr. Cartwright."

Cartwright "Take it any way you want to, Nathaniel, just take it away from here. You are no longer welcome near my wagon."

Nate stumbles slightly as he walks away, shaken. He is no coward, but he hadn't believed all those wild stories he had heard about how things were settled with a gun instead of a court of law most times in the west. He was starting to believe now though. He heads for the wagon of Jebediah Morgan, wishing to discuss this with their stalwart leader.

Nate is surprized at how furious Jeb gets, and at how seriously he takes what he had thought were only vague threats. Jeb signals to Spud, Blue Eagle, and Swede to get their guns in case of trouble and then goes off to confront Mr. Cartwright. he gets to the Cartwrights' wagon and finds utter chaos. There, standing in two groups facing off towards each other are the Cartwrights and the Bluetts. Much yelling is taking place, as Ben Cartwright seems to be accusing each Bluett in turn. The younger Cartwrights stand behind their father, guns in hand, and silent. The Bluetts stand united against the Cartwrights, and are also now all armed. Siding with them is most of the rest of the pioneers, seemingly a bit tired of Cartwrights high and mighty ways. Some had overheard the threat made by Mr. Cartwright, and are ready with their own guns as well. The only person to stand with the Cartwrights is Trudy McAllister, who is currently blistering everyone's ears with her tongue. Jeb steps into the middle.

Jeb "HOLD ON FOLKS! CALM DOWN! We have nothing to gain by fighting over this. It is my job to handle thses situations. Now please, return to your wagons and let me deal with this."

Most of the group scaters slightly at this, leaving the immediate vicinity, but staying close enough to observe and maybe even hear.

Jeb "Mr. Cartwright, I hear that you threatened Mr. Bluett with you gun."

Cartwright "He accused me to my face of being a murderer. No man should accuse another of being a drygulcher, especially here in the west, unless they are prepared to defned themselves. I merely reminded him of that."

Jeb "Mr. Cartwright, I respect that. However, Mr. Bluett is from a different culture and was acting appropriately according to that culture and his conscience."

Cartwright "And I was acting appropriately for mine!"

Jeb "There may not be a marshall travelling with us, but we still have law. I am the law here, not you. In the future you shall bring your greivances to me."

Cartwright "Fine, Mr. Morgan, fine. I'm a law abiding man and I respect your authority. Just you better warn them Bluetts not to push us any more. Me and my boys don't take kindly to being pushed."

Jeb "Warn? Is that another threat, Mister Cartwright? Then I am warning you. Me and my men have you out numbered and out gunned. Any more trouble starts and we'll be finishing it! And, you will be leaving this wagon train in two days when we reach Fort Laramie. Until then, you and your sons will interact with the other travellers as little as possible."

Cartwright "That's just fine, Mr. Morgan. And we will be just fine on our own. Just see that YOU don't make any more threats towards us either. Outgunned or not, we can take care of ourselves!"

Jeb *draws his gun* "Really? Well, then I guess I'll have to releive you of your guns until we reach the fort . HAND EM OVER!"

Ben Cartwright glares at Jeb, staring him in the eye and then reaches for his gun to hand it over. Then, the still afternoon is shattered by the sound of a shotgun blast, causing heads to trun and weapons to be drawn. There beside the Cartwright wagon lies Adam, near cut in half, but still clutching his rifle.

Joe MorrisNPC HE WAS ABOUT TO SHOOT!

Cartwright YOU KILLED MY SON! DIE!

With that Mr. Cartwright, instead of handing his gun over to Jeb, shoots Joe once, twice, then three times, followed by an eruption of gunfire from all sides. In the end, eight people lay dead while another dozen are wounded. Among the dead are all four Cartwrights, Joe Morris, Swede, Pat O'Rielly, and Trudy McAllister. Among the wounded are Jeb, Blue Eagle, Nate (shot in the shoulder), Blondie (grazed across the ribs), and Marcus (shot in the leg). Upon inspecting the bodies, it is found that Trudy, although holding a gun that had been fired, had been shot in the back, murdered under cover of the shootout.

Vahktang was innocent and was the lynching. Jammeez was also innocent and was the slaughter. It is day phase once again. You have 48 hous to make your accusations.If you don't find a wolf this day phase the wolves have won. :wolf:

SCORE CARD

The Living

Tanny~~Amanda Tanisson~~

Elwen~~Rosalie Tanisson~~

Merelas~~Nathaniel Bluett~~

DeantheAdequate~~"Blondie"~~

Degenero~~Markus Black~~

Solivagus~~Gunther~~

The Dead

Eyremon~~Eric Smith~~gunned down by debt collectors, first lynching

MeThinksYouFoolish~~ Jake Burrow~~drowned/smashed on rocks, SEER, first slaughter

Lady Celes Crusader~~Charlotte Gainsbourg~~snake bit, HUNTER, second lynching

Katzaniel~~Cat~~murdered in secret, second slaughter

Vahktang~~Abraham Cartwright~~death by shootout, third lynching

Jammeez~~Gertrude "Trudy" Young McAllister~~shot in the back, third slaughter

Gnarlitch that was Great!

I was hoping to go down in a hail of gunfire, but I didn't want to say anything.

Your inclusion of our RP was excellent.

Good job.

My only regret was that I got Jameez/Trudy killed.

(Probably not, but that's how Ben'll will figure it.)

I died a happy man. One of my best.

Hope everybody else had fun, too.

And we got an immediate scorecard.

Good luck with the rest of the game.

Remember, get this one right or those lying, thieving, murderin', dry gulcher (dry gulcher?) wolves win.

More later,

Vahkang

Edited by Vahktang

Amanda bandages Nate's shoulder gently, although tight-lipped and pale. Rosalie helps her, always the silent and loving sister to them both.

Nate, also pale, holds his wife's hands after she's done. "Sorry for all that, Amanda... I..."

"Shh... no, Nate. It wasn't your fault. Cartwright was a very hot-tempered and harsh man, as his son's were. You were trying to keep peace. And after that, we were all trying to protect our family."

She kisses him soflty. "You did right," says with a smile, "and I'm proud of you, Nate."

While putting his arm in a sling, Amanda talks again. "Trudy was harsh in her words against our family, but she didn't deserve to die because of Cartwright. And her children... they first lost their father, then their mother. What will be of them? Polly needs a loving guidance, in her age... Isaiah,jr needs a father... and poor little Nell..." she sighs sadly.

They couldn't possibly take care of them, could they? She'd have to think carefully, then talk to Nate.

And... Trudy had been shot in the back. Who could have done that?

Edited by Tanuchan

As soon as Amanda finishes bandaging him, Nate turns to her, and speaks.

"Amanda... I need to be alone to think for a little while. I think that I'll be out on the prarie... not too far... but please don't come look for me. I'll be back when I'm ready... I just... have some figuring to do."

Amanda looks up at him, concerned, but ready to do as he's asked. He bends down, and kisses her forehead, and whispers, "I love you." He rests his forehead against hers for a moment, eyes closed, enjoying the presence of the only woman he would ever love.

Then he turns, and walks out of camp, within sight of the wagons, but not hearing distance. Slowly, he sets himself down until he is almost eye-level with the grass. He watches it sway back and forth as the wind ripples it like waves.

Waves... he thought. He missed the waves of the ocean. His mind went back to his hometown and the cliff it rested on. He remembered looking out over the cliff and down onto the waves below, crashing onto the rocks and against the cliff, slowly eroding it over time.

In that town, he had been so praised. His father had so many aspirations for him--even one day becoming governor. Alan Bluett had been so dissapointed when his son had said he wanted to go west.

"Your life is here, Nathaniel! You have commitments and your family to look after! We did not send you to law school so that you could run amuck and go trap beaver for the rest of your life like some... some dirty trapper!"

He had said it like it were a bad word, and any longing to stay that had resided in Nathaniel's heart faded then. His father was a bigot, and he would have none of it. It was then that he turned away from his family, and headed west. His father had caught him on the day of their departure and apologized, and all had been forgiven. But in his heart of hearts, Nathaniel knew that he would never truly live up to his father's expectations... the next-eldest son had the prized affection of his father now.

And the grass reminded him of all that. It swayed almost like the ocean did especially on a stormy day... almost.

His life was just that--memories of his past. He had no place here. He had accused someone. He had finally gone out on a limb and stood up for what he believed in, and he had been wrong. All of the thought he had put into his accusations, all of the belief that they had carried... it was all gone in a flash of light and blood. The man had died because of him, and he had been innocent.

"Law is the practice of seeking justice for the crimes of the guilty, while protecting the rights of the innocent."

One of his professors at Harvard had said that... and he had not only accused an innocent, but brought about his death. In addition, his actions had lead to the murder of another innocent--Gertrude McAlister. Trudy had been a good woman... a little harsh at times, and accusing of himself, but always a strong, good-hearted woman. And he had caused her death as well because she had seen through the lies and defended someone who was innocent.

She would've made a better judge than me, he thought slowly, weepingly.

He refused to cry this time. He didn't deserve that much. But he would never accuse another person again. If it came to a vote, he had his doubts, but he would never lead to the suspicion of another member as long as he should live.

OOC: No Vote Yet, coming soon