The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WEREWOLF HO-O!

Gnarlitch

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nathaniel heard news of his accusation from Mr. Cartwright, and suddenly he was crushed. He was doubted, and his impartiality as a lawyer and the possibility of him becoming a Judge was in question.

He returned to his wife and Rosalie, and hugged them both. "My name has been blackened in the train by Mr. Cartwright... but it's time that I've listened to you, Amanda. I know nothing of this woman, but I now trust your judgement more than ever. I follow you, and vote the same."

OOC: A vote for Lady Celes/Charlotte Gainsbourg

Charlotte forwns furiously as she knows suspicions has risen about her. She decides that it's better to do reveal what she knows and let them know what danger they face.

- Why is that odd face when your stare at me? Having problems with the Cajun? I do understand why, you don't trust me but I beg to think otherwise. I'll tell you why I'm here than rather in Louisiana and about my family. My friends, I'm afraid that what happened at the river is no accident but sabotage. Someone wants ill to this particular caravan and I'm here to find out who and why.

She lift her skirt to show scarred legs.

- Those who made these are the very same people who killed my parents and I know at least one of them are among this caravan and as you've seen he/she or them had already done damage. I pledge to God to protect every innocent people in here. If you choose to not believe me you're putting yourselves and your families into a danger greater than they believe. It's not too late to change your mind about me.

tick-tock tick-tock tick-tock TIMES UP!

Lady Celes/Charlotte--4

Vahktang/Cartwright--4

Merelas/Nate--1

not voting yet: Solivagus

It would appear that we have a tied vote here. Much as I hate to delay things...we'll wait for the "lynching" for Solivagus' vote, unless someone else is inclined to change their vote and break the tie.

Edited by Gnarlitch

"Oh... I..."

Nathaniel hesitates after Charlotte's speech.

"Amanda... could she be telling the truth? And if she is... what if she can save us?"

He stops, and looks around.

"I... I'm sorry Amanda. I thought that I could listen to you and vote with your instincts... but I believe her."

OOC: Change of vote to Abraham Cartwright/Vahktang

Charlotte nods at Nathaniel's silently thanking him for reconsidering. She only hopes that other voters will listen to their fellow friend.

(OOC: Well, since my Internet connection is extremely finicky tonight, I'll post my vote right now in case I wont be able later: A vote against Abraham Cartwright/Vahktang )

Markus looks at Charlotte's scars, then pulls his own shirt off over his head. His chest, stomach, and back are all covered in scars.

"Anyone can get scars, anywhere," He says, looking at her. "be it killing, or defending. You could have got those as easily murdering people who didn't want to be murdered as protecting people from it. I don't believe you. My scars may not exactly be from protecting people, but I've never killed anyone in my life. Can you say the same?"

He throws his shirt to the ground, standing across from Charlotte letting the firelight play across his pink scars.

"I don't think you can. I do believe you got those scars from killing, and," he turns to look at the rest of the people gathered, "if you don't believe it's her, you're just setting yourself up to die."

Purely OOC here. I can't come up with an IC reason to vote against anyone, yet, but I think Celes deserves a chance to hunt ;)

Voting against Vahktang. Sorry Tangy, 'cause I'm loving your character!

I'll come up with something more interesting IC later. BTW, if I die, can my children continue as NPCs? I'd also hope the Cartwright boys continue as well, if Tangy's out. B)

Edit: 'Course, Deg comes up with an interesting argument while I'm posting. <_<

Edited by Jammeez

Charlotte's look at Markus bared chest.

- These scars I've showned, I've had them by defending myself. But I got others for defending innocent people from the very same evil that tracked my family down. I did answer why I'm here when I felt my presence questioned. Tell me, why are you here?

Now, for a bit of story, what would have been part of the lynching, while we wait...

Time seems to pass slowly after the crossing of the river. The land is dry and flat with barely any hills to speak of. There is also very little vegetation, just a bit of sage brush, creosote bush, and stunted cedar. The days pass hot and dusty, the nights cold and filled with the smell of the buffalo chips used for the campfires.

Then, towards noon on the fourth day out from the Platte, off in the distance two large mounds can be seen, dark against the skyline. Towards evening the shapes are resolving into a pair of rather large buttes (hills/mountains). Jeb tells everyone that what they are seeing are the twin mountains of Courthouse Rock and Jail Rock, and that you will get to see them up close the next day.

The day starts basically the same as all the others since this trip began. You are all awakened by the watch about an hour before sunrise and begin preparing for the days travails. You check the wagons and your horses and/or oxen. Those who are lucky enough to own a milk cow get the priviledge of milking it and then drinking the fresh milk with their breakfast mush. Breakfast, generally speaking, is cornmeal mush. Not very tastey, with a thick, gluey consistency and a grainy texture. It may not be satisfying, but it is filling. The last remaining items are packed up and you start forming a line and moving out right about the same time the sun is beginning to peak over the distant horizon. And then you walk and ride and walk some more, breathing dusty air until you wonder what it would be like to not have a nose full of muddy boogers ever again. You have calluses on your feet, and maybe a few blisters too. And, discouragingly enough, you realize that you have been on the trail less than a month and that there are a good two or maybe even three months to go. And yet you keep trudging on, because, well, the only other option is to lay down and die. And none of you are quitters or you wouldn't have even made it this far.

But, on a more cheerful note, the distant buttes get closer by the mile until sometime just before noon you are passing them. Some of you decide it is worth the extra effort to leave the train for a time and go explore. Blondie does so and even takes the time to carve his name into the stone wall of Courthouse Rock. The Cartwrite boys follow his example, as well as Charlotte. Cat, and Amanda, accompanied by Polly. Amanda and Polly are both followed by disapproving stares from their family wagons. But, hey, you only live once! Jeb sends Blue Eagle with the explorers to keep watch and keep them safe and out of trouble.

We'll stop here. Go ahead and RP a bit about your visit or lack thereof to the large hills of rock. We will continue this as soon as possible. Sorry for the delay. If the vote is not decided within the next 24 hours I'll roll a die to decide it and move things on. Wolves, Hunter, you may go ahead and prepare your PM's, even send them if you want, so that things can get moving again as soon as this is decided.

Charlotte slaps Markus. She stares at him with the look of someone who had been gravely insulted.

- HOW DARE YOU???? That's assumptions only someone who have a low consience can make. I wish that those scars of mine were made by gators, not by these murderers.

She keeps staring at Markus, thinking that he might be the ennemy.

*"Blondie" saunters over to Charlette.*

Well ma'm, I've known a few cajuns and thier passions are true. I had no explanation for your seething head. I suggest you cool a spell and we'll talk it over.

I could help you find this person.

For now, I'll not stand against any of ya.

(OOC: Withdraw vote)

Mrs. McAlister watches her daughter walk to the buttes with the other young women, followed closely by Isaiah and Eric and Little Joe Cartwright, riding some of the horses. Adam keeps a keen but discreet watch on both Cat and Polly. Trudy wishes she dared keep her boy here at the wagon. She dislikes allowing him that far off her apron-strings. Her children are trying to grow up way too early as it is. But how can she deprive the boy of the few joys of the trail. This trip would be difficult enough.

And she can hardly deny Polly her intent of carving Jake's name into the rock of this landmark. Although she has mostly overcome her paralyzing grief, the girl is much grimer now...more serious-minded, mature...Trudy fears the rigors of the trail will take the remaining childhood right out of her.

Her mind wanders a bit, thinking of Polly and Jake...how close had they truly become? Was her daughter's open grief the sign of a burgeoning relationship, or the drama of a schoolgirl crush? Had Jake returned Polly's affections? He had danced with Polly back at the fort that night...but so had all the young men...she thinks of the silly antagonism between Adam Cartwright and that young soldier. Good thing I broke up that bit of nonsense...

"Howdy, Ma'am." Trudy jumps at the unexpected voice near her wagonseat. "OH! Mr. Cartwright! How do y'do?"

"Didn't mean to startle you, Ma'am. I just wanted to check on the girl. How's she holdin' up?"

"Oh, fine, fine...she'll pull through, though I cain't say none the worse for wear..."

Abraham chuckles mirthlessly. "We all have those...moments...that change us forever, Ma'am."

Gertrude looks sharply at Mr. Cartwright, then looks quickly away at the pang of loss she feels, remembering her dead Isaiah. After some silence..."How...how long since your wife passed on...if you don't mind my asking?"

He takes a deep breath. "No, no. I don't mind. Little Joe's ma died [Tangy can fill in the number] years ago. He hardly remembers her. An' Eric didn't have a chance to know his ma. She was a mite delicate, an' that boy was born full sized! :rolleyes: Adam's ma..." He cuts off in mid sentence and looks out across the landscape...

"Mr. Cartwright, why do you insist on Nate's guilt? With most of the camp devided against either you or the girl, Charlotte, why do you not defend yourself? Your voice needs to be heard! The men look up to you. You could tip the scales in your favor. But you insist on this silent stubborness..." Trudy stops herself, realizing she's crossing the lines of propriety, letting her emotions get the better of her. Lord knows she carries them too near the surface. "I...I'm sorry...T'ain't my place..."

OOC: Tangy? Your move... ;)

Oh and, uh...withdraw my vote to keep the balance, pending an answer from Sol/Gunther or a reply from Tangy. Sorry, Itchy! :flower:

Edited by Jammeez

Gunther looked sadly about the divided camp, depressed and angered by the wild accusations being flung at one another. He had finally been faced with a puzzle he couldn't solve, and nothing had prepared him for the shock of the peoples deaths. Heaving a sigh he walked into his caravan, bolted the door, and tried to sleep.

OOC: No vote.

A gridlock.

Nathaniel had been afraid of this. If there was anything he hated, it was a hung jury. It just meant more time to wait. With Blondie withdrawing his vote, there had been a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, but then that Trudy McAllister had withdrawn hers as well.

So now they were tied again, and he didn't like it at all.

There was one thing he might be able to do. He hated the thought of it, after going back on his word with her. Asking Amanda to change her vote was a terrible thing. They had quarreled over this before, and the last thing he wanted was a fight.

Failing that, there was Rosalie.

He walked up to her, a smile plastered on her face, and begged her.

"I... I'm sorry Amanda. I thought that I could listen to you and vote with your instincts... but I believe her."

Amanda looks at Nate, quietly defending Charlotte, then at Markus and Charlotte arguing bitterly. She squeezes Nate's hand, looking again at him. "I... don't know, Nate. What Charlotte says can be true, but so can what Mr. Black says... And Mr. Cartwright, accusing you, of all people here!"

She then hears Trudy talking also to Mr. Cartwright, defending Nate. A small smile comes to her, as she nods to her husband. "You see, dearest, there are people here who won't take kindly to Mr. Cartwright's baseless accusations... you don't have to worry about your honor. And she also has a point... he's being accused, but he isn't defending himself... what can that mean?"

Charlotte raises her voice in fury, slapping Markus.

"Tempers are flaring... Do you really think Charlotte is innocent? Because I'm not sure... as I'm not sure of Mr. Cartwright's guilt, although his suspicion on your character makes me want to see guilt in him."

She looks at Nathaniel sadly as he shakes his head, turning back on her and going towards the wagon.

"Nate..."

~~~~~~

OOC Edit: Merelas posted while I was typing...

Edited by Tanuchan

Cat looked all around her at the group. Much dissention, but there was agreement among a few of them, too. It didn't seem to be so much a question of Abraham Cartwright or Charlotte Gainsbourg, so much as a question of Charlotte or not Charlotte. Well, so be it. Then they needed to decide on Charlotte's guilt or innocence.

"Me wonder, Markus, if you be claiming to protect us. If not, what is problem? Charlotte say she help us... if no one dispute claim, then me say Charlotte help us. You show us wounds. Do you say you help us better?"

Charlotte nods at Blondie.

- Thanks. You are right, it's not the time to let my Cajun temper blind me. However, we are still locked into this tie.

She looks down and thinks for a moment and then speaks up.

- I apologies for my short temper, but I'd like to remind you that short temper doesn't mean killing. I was deeply insulted by Markus mean allegations and I'm sure that if you were accuse of the same things, you'll probably react intensely. But there's two things that bothers me, Markus is extremely aggressive toward me in his accusations since I told everyone about what I really am. Unless he's responsible for the murders, he had no reason of fearing me. The other thing that bothers me is that Mr. Cartwright doesn't defend himself. Somehow, deep in my heart, I don't feel he deserves to be lock in this tie with me. I do not wish to see an innocent dying over my guilt or innocence.

She thinks to herself: if the vote against me and Mr. Cartwright are switched against Markus, it would would be an ideal situtation... but there's nothing ideal here.

Amanda looks at the gathered settlers, in inner turmoil.

Nate turned from me... Markus' being accused of killing... Charlotte says she can help... and my heart tells me Mr. Cartwright is innocent although I don't like him.

She can't avoid a longing look at Markus, though it's so brief no one can see it.

I can't hate you.... and I can't accept you'd kill unless to defend yourself. I wish you were dead, buried as I thought you were. Because I have to choose you or Nate. And I...

I still love you. But you've been dead these last four years. And so you must remain.

She turns and leaves in a run, tears running down her cheek, away from people and into shadows.

OOC Withdrawing vote.

Edited by Tanuchan