The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WEREWOLF HO-O!

Gnarlitch

*"Blondie" looks over the corpse in a blanket as the wagon train is spurred on*

Well that's a fine thing. I think it does a body well to leave a woman unscorned. With enough money you can reach any foe...

*He gives one last look, then turns to his party*

Now to make sure the rest are safe...

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jake sat on the ground, wincing slightly at the pain.

"Now hold still," Polly chided him, "This will only take a moment."

"Easy for you to say, you're not the one with holes in your body" he returned.

"Well if you didn't stick your neck into business that isn't yours, maybe you wouldn't have so many holes."

"I don't like dishonest men" he replied shortly

"well, either way, i'll be glad when this whole business is through." she said as she finished, "There, all done"

She moved as if to lean against him.

"Thank you" he said and he stood up.

She fell on the ground.

"Whoa," he said helping her up, not realizing what just happened, "You ok?"

"I'm fine, i guess" she frowned while wiping dirt off her dress, "Just a little jumpy."

But they both jumped when they both suddenly heard a shot

"Damnation" Jake yelled and he ran to where the shots had come from, with Polly close behind. They were both realived when they found Isaiah, a rifle in his hand.

"Looks like we've hit buffalo country" Jake said. A crowd of buffalo stood only a few yards away, apperently unshooken by the gunfire. Jake took off his hat and basked in the sun. Now this was what he'd set out for.

Polly was not as amused. "Isaiah!" she scolded, "What do you think you are doin? Does ma know you killing buffalo?"

The boy looked at the ground, moving the dirt with his toe.

"Doesn't look like he was killing anything to me. His aim is terrible" Jake chuckled.

The little boy's faced scrunched up and he made a growling noise.

"Stop that," Polly said, "You get back to Ma right now." The little boy started away but before he could get far, she snatched the rifle out of his hands. "I'll take that, thank you"

Jake was laughing heartily now. Polly turned to him angerly, "Stop laughing. I don't see whats so funny."

"Oh it's just that little boy, he reminds me of when i was his age." He grinned, "Of course i was a better shot."

Polly turned, aimed, and fired a shot. A few yards away a bull moved forward heavily, then it's knees buckled, then it rolled on its side, quite obviously dead.

Jake stopped laughing.

Polly turned to him and said, "I was too," before walking away, calling to her brother. "Isaiah, get ma, we're having buffalo tonite"

Edited by MeThinksUFoolish

Cat's face remained stone as she was told of the earlier deaths. "Aren't you sad that those men died, Catling?" queried Amanda, who had been certain that Cat would show a few tears at this.

"There not reason to cry when sad, Miss Amanda. Me glad bad man gone even if it weren't him committed that killing, but me not whoop for joy, so why you surprised when me not cry for deaths?"

"Why, I know you're not like many girls, Catling, but it doesn't change the fact that many girls would cry upon seeing their first death."

Cat shook her head. "Me first death was me parents at four. Nothing now can make me cry, Miss Amanda. Death just parting anyway. Sad for them that still here; not permanent."

"You're wise beyond your years, young Catling."

There was silence between them for a moment, then Cat said, "Want another rabbit?"

In the morning, Abraham Cartwright arrives with Adam in tow, sullen and proud, at the McAllister wagon.

At a prodding, Adam speaks out.

"Mrs. McAllister, Polly," he says, with a nod to Isiah. "I just want to apologies to you all for my actions the other night. Polly can make up her own mind who she would dance with and I just have to be happy with her decision. I hope I you will allow me to still see your daughter socially, if she has a mind to, of course."

Abraham nods, tips his hat to the assembled family and meanders off with his eldest in tow.

That night, taking coffee and smokes with the other adults after the children had been put to bed:

"Bad business at the fort," he says.

"A yup," says Markus.

"Hope I've seen all the gunfighting that I'll see for the rest of my life."

"Well, he had no business running like that," says Nathaniel. "Things could have been settled civilly. In court."

"Maybe that's why he came out here," says Blondie. "So he doesn't have to settle things in court. Out here a man can be judged by his accomplishments."

"And how they treat other people," comments Trudy.

The others nod.

Abraham spies Cat, who should be fast asleep, nearby under one of the wagons, watching the conversations of the adults.

"A new start is much easier here than in the old country," says Gunter.

"A new start is probably why we're all here," says Charlotte. "I dare say everyone here is trying to escape something from their past. Maybe nothing as concrete as old debts. Sometimes just, loss."

A wolf howls on the prarie, and everyone takes a moment to listen and gauge if there is any danger to their animals, then settle down again when they realize there isn't from that particular wolf.

For a time there is a silence as they watch the stars wheel in the sky.

Then they go to bed.

More later,

Vahktang

"Want another rabbit?"

Amanda hesitates, then nods with a sigh. "That would be nice, Catling... Nate did appreciate your help, as did I."

She watches that wild and strangely wise girl leave, and goes back to the wagon with conflict in her face. She sits down on a stool, picking up some mending - tedious work always helped her to focus her mind on a problem.

"She is so strangely wise, and girlish at the same time... and the things she say... I'm sure she has some Indian influence. Maybe even Indian blood? But then, why would she be abandoned in the middle of the plains... unless she was kidnapped, and now was being troublesome?"

Amanda threads the needle carefully, getting the first of a pile of shirts and socks.

"Nate... he's worried about me, dearest husband that he is. I must talk to him... sometimes I feel like a useless decorative piece. I have to admit I'm afraid of his temper. It's so hard to control my own, when he starts yelling at me... I thought it would be easier, before marrying him. And he got really shaken when I trusted Cat over his wisdom... and I shouldn't have, really. I got suspicious of a rather innocent man... innocent of that murder, at least... I must listen better to Nate. I must at least take his advice to my heart and think it over."

The voices of children playing intrude in her thoughts, then Trudy's voice again calling for both Polly and Isaiah, insistent. She sees Isaiah running to his wagon, quick to answer his mother, and then with a smile looks around looking for Polly.

"When will I have my children to look for? And Polly does remind me so much of Sarah..."

The smile disappears, a shadow coming to her face when remenbering Sarah, that little minx who hurt dearest Rosalie so much. How could sisters be so different? Sarah was always after the men who appeared at the farm. And then she set so hard on getting Rosalie's fiancé... married him.

Shaking her head, she looks again at the children. And makes a figure in black leaning quietly against his wagon, keeping an eye on the children. Amanda stands up suddenly, putting aside the mending and entering the wagon after Rosalie, who is quietly checking and organizing their supplies.

Markus had always had a soft spot in his heart for children. He cared for them. He cared for all her sisters like a brother would... but he had abandoned her.

"Rosalie? Do you need help?"

The quiet sister shakes her head but looks at Amanda with a silent question in her eyes, knowing her too well to not notice she wants to talk. Amanda smiles, and soon they are both outside, to the side of the wagon where they can notice anyone approaching, Amanda whispering and Rosalie listening, holding her hands.

~~~~

Edit: spelling

Edited by Tanuchan

A new start... will I ever have one?. News of the event worried Charlotte and she fears that this trip will still hold its share of events. Partying with the Fort's soldiers was a nice way to forget about the drama that starts to plague this caravan, but not for long. Reality always leave a brutal footprint. She then heard the wolves in the distance.

- Each time I hear a wolf howling, I'm always uneasy...

The Cajun unties her ebony hair and let them cascade in her back. She then looks at the horizon, lost in her own thoughts.

As the pioneers continue their journey, there is some sadness at the loss of another of their number, especially in such a violent manner as the shooting. However, those feelings are soon buried in the day to day toils of travelling by covered wagon. The only break in the monotony is their first exposure to the vast herds of buffalo. (MMM! Gotta love them ribs!)

The rolling plains seems endless, and the sun seems pitiless...until one morning they are awoken by thunder and lightning. A violent thunderstorm ensues, providing an absolute deluge of fresh water. Water barrels are left open to catch the blessed moisture. At least, it seems blessed at first. But, after three days of being stuck in mud where a horse could sink to it's knees, the rain seems more of a curse. The travelers start to get restless, trapped in their wagons most of the day and unable to travel.

Many worry about having enough provisions to last the trip if the delay continues. Jeb and the scouts spend much of their time moving from wagon to wagon and attempting to lift the spirits of the travellers with tales of when times were much worse. "Why, this is nothing compared to the summer of '42!" Or, "This reminds me of the time when we were surronded by hostile savages..." The reminder that things could always be worse has some effect on morale, even more so when the scouts bring in a couple of buffalo for diner one night and then announce that it appears as if the trail will be dry enough for travel on the morrow.

Everyone goes to bed full and happy that night. And, in the morning everyone cheerfully does what is needed to get everyone back on the road as quickly as possible. By the end of that day all are exhausted from toiling through mud, but are happy to be moving again. That night Jeb announces that they will reach the crossing of the Platte River sometime before non the next day. He warns them of the dangers and cautions them on how to handle this difficult and perilous task.

The morning dawns bright and cheerful with birds chittering away in the trees and bushes. Little Cat shows up for breakfast at the Cartwright wagon with a freshly killed rabbit. The Cartwrights are more than happy to accept her generous offering. After giving them the rabbit she scampers off, not even waiting for it to be cooked, returning to Nate and Amanda's wagon carrying two more rabbits. This has become a morning ritual.

The single men all take a hand in helping those with families and or larger wagons to prepare for the days ordeal. Axles recieve an extra helping of grease, possessions are tied down tightly, and seals are checked. Soon all is ready and they set off. Just as Jeb predicted, the arrive at the river crossing just before noon. The river looks a little higher than would be preferred but still looks safe enough for a crossing. Swede mentions the trail man's motto of always crossing a river when you get there, as, you never know how bad conditions will be on the morrow. With that, the first wagon starts across.

The Cartwrights go first, testing the waters, so to speak. And, with only a little difficulty they make it across. Then they tie a heavy rope off to a stout tree and carry the other end back across as a safety line for the others. Charlotte, with Cat riding beside her, goes next, followed by some other families. Then comes the Bluetts turn. Their wagon, apparently heavier tahn the previous ones, gets stuck in a sinkhole, taking much effort by all to get them free. The following wagons are careful to avoid that spot and are able to cross safely. The McAllisters cross with the help of Blondie and Jack Burrow, while Marcus Black helps Gunther with his wagon.

Then, with most of the wagons across, the Jones family's wagon gets stuck in the deepest part of the river. With a loud CRACK! one of the rear wheels breaks, mnaking the wagon tilt and lean in the current. The Cartwrights, Jake and Marcus all react rapidly, tossing out many heavy ropes to pull the wagon across and out of danger. They ferry the women and children across on foot. Blondie, having just brought the youngest son across safely, turns to go back to help the oldest son and father wrestle with the animals and urge them to pull.

Suddenly a child screams! Isaiah McAllister has been watching upstream and has seen danger approaching. A large tree, apparently uprooted by the storm, is floating rapidly towards the stuck wagon. Jake, still out in the river and seeing the danger, struggles to help the Joneses clear of the wagon. Meanwhile, the other men urge their animals to pull with all their might. But, it is all for naught. The giant tree trunk smashes into the wagon, turning it over and throwing the remaining occupants into the river.

Mr. Jones is immediately swallowed by the river. But, miraculously, Jake made it to the wagon in time to grab the son and begins to pull him to safety. But, the strain of tree and wagon is too much for the ropes, and they snap one by one. One of them catches Jake across the head, opening his scalp and knocking him back into the water. He comes to his feet, thrashing with his arms to regain his balance. Then, he realizes that he lost the son and stops to look. At just that moment the entire contraption gives way, the wagon breaking in half under the weight of the tree and the tree spinning and rolling the the pressure built up behind it. Jake is once again swept from his feet as branches and broken ropes sweep across him, dragging him under. His body, and that of Mr. Jones and his son, is never recovered.

Blue Eagle and Mr. Cartwright take a moment to examine the ropes and both come to the same conclusion. They show the ends of the ropes to the others. the knife cuts are obvious. Someone partially cut the ropes so that they would hold some strain, but so they would give out under alot of presure. But who would do such a thing?

MTYFoolish/Jake Burrow has been slaughtered by the wolves. Congratulations, Wolves, you've killed the seer. Did he taste yummy? :huh: LET THE ACCUSATIONS BEGIN!YOU HAVE 48 HOURS, use them wisely. <_<

Edited by Gnarlitch

"He had no right to run. Things could have been settled civilly, in a court."

However, at the same time, Nathaniel held a silent victory to himself that the man had truly been innocent. Amanda had not listened to him, and she had been wrong. And though he would never say it or voice it in any way, that had hurt him deeply. He treasured his books, his knowledge, because it was one of the only assets he had. Amanda could cook, clean, mend, and even defend to some extent. Rosalie could defend, and even Cat could hunt. What had he to offer to the family? The only thing he could was knowledge, and leadership... and she had rejected it.

The days passed, and eventually they came to the Platte River Crossing. After exerting much energy, they got the wagon unstuck, and watched the tragedy of Jake Burrow's death. Nathaniel looked at the rope cuts solemnly. There could be no denying it this time, there had been a murder this time. Now the only question that remained was who could have been responsible... Nate didn't know.

He got up, and walked away from the campfire, wandering away from the wagons, out to look at the plains. Once he was out of sight of the fire, he stared at the scene before him. The prarie at dusk, with a sunset before him. He watched slowly, thinking of the hard times that Amanda and he had been through. Their desperate search for parental approval, Coping with Sarah stealing Rosalie's fiance and helping his younger sister through it...

Because that's what she is now. I have to fend for her as well.

And he thought of Amanda. Beautiful, sweet, loving Amanda. All the things that they had gone through to reach this moment in time. The trials that they had alread survived came rushing back to him. Loving her wasn't always easy--they fought something fierce at times--but when they were happy together, it was all he needed to survive.

But... what stood between them? She hadn't listened to him about that man, and so he had died... an innocent man killed for suspicions against him that were unfounded. She had brought Cat into their home without consulting him... and yet there was something more. She was hiding something, or holding onto it, and she couldn't (or wouldn't) tell him what it was. They were drifting apart.

What could he offer her, anyways? She was beautiful, and so self-sufficient. She didn't need him... but he needed her more than anything. Not because of the skills she had--because he loved her with every part of him.

And now, another member of their party was dead. He didn't know Jake Burrow very well, but he had still been an ally against the endless hostility that was the plains. Nathaniel didn't like needless death; rather, he abhored it. Would this drive him and his wife further apart? Or, in confiding in each other, would they come closer together? Nathaniel had no idea.

Then he fell to his knees... "Amanda..." he said, starting to weep slowly, "I love you."

Edited by Merelas

"JAAAAAAAAKE! NOOOOOO JAAAaaa-ha-ha-ha-haaaaaake!" The girl collapsed in a heap on the river bank, sobbing into the stunned silence. Mrs. McAlister wrapped comforting arms around her daughter and rocked back and forth, back and forth, making shushing noises and petting Polly's hair.

My poor, poor girl, Trudy thought. No matter how young, how innocent, the pain of her first love will last forever...I wish I could shield her from its wicked barbs.

As Polly's sobbing slowly subsided, and intermittant hiccoughs and paroxysms still shook the girl, Trudy called Mr. Cartwright over to carry Polly to her wagon. He laid the young woman gently in the back of the wagon and left mother and daughter in solitude.

As the wagon train was checked over and pronounced ready for travel once more, Isaiah, jr. rode with the Cartwright boys, and Nell stayed with Amanda and Rosalie in the Bluett's wagon. Mr. Black drove the McAlister wagon for a time, until Trudy stepped out from under the canvas and onto the seat. Thanking him, she took the reigns, while Markus Black hopped into his saddle from the moving wagon, and trotted further up the line...

Edited by Jammeez

Amanda stands up, her heart heavy. She looks at little Nell, asleep on her own bed, then turns to her sister asking her to look after the girl. Kissing both of them, she leaves the wagon, looking at the prairie and the sunset.

Nate, out of the sight of the fires, looks at the plains and falls to his knees... "Amanda..." he says, starting to weep slowly, "I love you."

A gentle hand touches his shoulder. "And I love you too, Nate," says Amanda softly. She kneels at his side, wrapping arms around him and holding him tight. "I love you, my dearest husband, and I ask you to forgive me for hurting you."

They keep silent for a while, Nate slowly calming himself in Amanda's loving presence, and Amanda asking silently that he keeps his temper in check once she starts talking.

At last they stand up. Hand in hand, they come back to be in sight of the fires and, so, able to be seen by the men on guard. Amanda can make also Rosalie sitting by their wagon, and instinctively knows she's observing them.

"Amanda, I'm sorry if I somehow pushed you away from me. I know how self-sufficient you are and, although I do forget most of times, how you hate being overprotected. But..."

He sighs, hesitating for just a moment. "There's something else, Amanda. What are you holding from me?"

She shakes her head, also sighing. "We've fought because of this before. And it seems we always will. It's part of what I am. Here, in the wild, I'm more in my environment than you. I know how this grates you."

"I'm trusting more my instinct here, than ever before around you... please, try to understand this. I grew up, and lived all my life, in a farm. I've learned how to deal with men. I've learned to see trust and suspicion. I'm not always right, of course... but I'm always one to trust my own instincts. I will listen to you, Nate... I will, and I will consider your knowledge, and I will talk to you about them. But don't expect me to always follow you meekly. I cannot do that, and you know it very well. I respect and trust your knowledge, dearest. Respect mine, also. I'm wiser in wild prairies than you are. "

"Amanda..." He holds her hands tighter, an edge of irritation in his voice that he fights to control as soon as he notices his temper ready to flare again.

Amanda's voice reacts by becoming colder, "I am not, and will never be, a useless piece of decoration in your life, Nathaniel. You must understand this. I was raised to manage a farm. You cannot change me. As much as you would like me to be a little bit more submissive, and I've tried as hard as I can, here in the wild and where we are going to, I cannot be."

She catches herself, breathing deeply and calming down. In a sweet voice, looking deeply into Nathaniel's eyes, she asks, "Forgive me for what I said, but this is the truth." Hesitating a bit, she continues, "Do you doubt I love you?"

((Sorry! *winces*))

Rosalie sits quietly by the wagon, watching over little Nell at the same time that she is silently observing Amanda and Nathaniel as they speak. Her sister of blood and heart, and her brother of soul...the two people she trusts most in the world.

If it comes down to it...I hope things do not go so far...I do not know who I will have to choose. Rosalie bends her head briefly, the shimmering mass of red-gold hair-her best feature-tumbling loose of the bun she had pinned it in to keep it out of her way.

Markus sits on his hourse, trailing the wagons slightly, looking ahead to everyone.

Wow, what a week it's been. Amanda... the murders...

The murder. Who could have done them? He could almost believe Amanda's lawyer could, with his temper, but not two of them, never two.

He sighs, looking off into the distance.

Maybe it was that little cajun girl, Charlotte. Everyone knows cajun's got 'emselves some kinda mean temper, and there's gotta be a reason she's out here and not back home where she belongs.

OOC: No vote, as of yet.

Charlotte gasped at the horror that happened behind her, after she crossed the river with little Cat.

- This is... oh my... no words are strong enough to describe this. May God watches over these brave souls who met an undeserved faith.

After she make her cross sign across her chest. The Cajun is wondering about the reasons why this caravan is plaggued with such cursed luck. Or is it something even grimmer than she thought?

(OOC: No vote yet)

"Do you doubt I love you?"

Nathaniel didn't hesitate. Almost before the question was completely off her lips, he replied, "Never. I would never think that of you, Amanda... you wouldn't have married me otherwise. You don't need to marry a man for any other reason except love, because you can survive on your own without me.

"I need you... and I look at the family, and Rosalie is good with weapons, and so are you to an extent, but I'm a bumbler. You cook and you clean and you mend and... everything. You do everything for me and I can't do anything for you."

He looked away off onto the prarie, amongst the tall grass, and he whispered more than spoke his next line, "I feel useless."

Gently, she reached up and turned his head to face hers, her eyes on his. "I love you, Nate," she said. Slowly, he rested her head on her shoulder, and they looked out over the prarie. At night, it was just as beautiful as during the day, and possibly more so. The grasses tumbled over each other and back again as the wind rippled them. It reminded him of home, and the ocean.

Perhaps it was time to try something new. He wondered briefly, and then he started forward without much hesitation.

"Amanda... I want to ask your advice," he said slowly, before continuing, "Who do you think is responsible for these murders?"

Edited by Merelas

"Amanda... I want to ask your advice," Nate says slowly, before continuing, "Who do you think is responsible for these murders?"

Caught completely by surprise, Amanda keeps quiet for several seconds. Then, she turns slowly to the wagons, shaking her head sadly. "I... don't know, Nate. I was suspicious about Eric Smith, but he was no assassin. I'm unsure I could accuse someone right now. There are some here I trust more than others, but... two murders?"

She bites her lips, then holds her husband's hand and both come back to the wagon circle. "Let's listen and observe more, Nate... I don't know these people well, nor do you. Mostly it's my instinct... I can't help following it. I would like to listen to you, also... as you want to listen to me."

Just before they reach Rosalie, Amanda smiles to Nate, "I love you, Nate. Never feel useless. I can defend myself if needed, but I do need you. I need your love, and your support. This is what you can do for me. We will build our new home together, and we will learn new things together."

They hold each other for a moment, then Nate turns to go to where the men are talking, while Amanda meets her sister by the wagon.

"You did well, Amanda..." whispers Rosalie, hugging her. "He feels so unsure of himself..."

Amanda leans against Rosalie, sighing deeply and speaking very quietly. "But I couldn't tell him about Markus. The way he is feeling right now... he will be insane with jealousy, Rosie. Even if I don't tell he's here. I will lose him. And I can't stand even the *idea* of that happening."

Well... I hate to be the one to break up this little knitting session, but we still have a killer. Someone who felt it necessary to get rid aof a few folks that could have helped us.

But I get back to wondering about that Smith fella. Running from a lady? That woman coulden't have been no lady to sic some assasins after him.

He said his troubles were east... Louisiana is pretty east and I've known a few cajuns. A slight against a clan means repayment. Too long in repaying and it's taken in blood...

*THe Man loks over the wagon train*

If you don't mind Ms. Gainsbourg, I should like to escort your agon for a spell.

(OOC: One for Lady Celes Crusader. Edit is to put the OOC)

Edited by DeanTheAdequate

Cat heard the suspicions being thrown around after Jake's death. "Charlotte been nice to me," she muttered, thinking better aloud. "Somehow me not think it her. The thing that bother me now is Jake suspected me in first murder. Could his killer be try now to redirect suspicion to me? Perhaps it someone who not trust me then. Abraham Cartwright - he only one who made clear he thought someone else. This me only lead, though thin."

Thus Cat near-silently added her suspicion for Mr. Cartwright to the fray.

OOC: Vahktang - Abraham Cartwright

Edited by Katzaniel

We all knew there were lyrics, right?

Bonanza Lyrics and Theme!

We chased lady luck, 'til we finally struck

Bonanza

With a gun and a rope and a hat full of hope, we planted our family tree.

We got hold of a pot full of gold,

Bonanza

With a horse and a saddle, and a range full of cattle, How rich can a fellow be?

On this land we put our brand, Cartwright is the name,

Fortune smiled, the day we filed the Ponderosa claim.

Here in the west, we're livin' in the best

Bonanza

If anyone fights any one of us, he's got a fight with me

Hoss and Joe and Adam know every rock and pine

No one works fights, or eats, like those boys of mine

Here we stand in the middle of a grand

Bonanza

With a gun and a rope and a hatful of hope, we planted our family tree,

We got a hold of a potful of gold

Bonanza

With a houseful of friends where the rainbow ends,

How rich can a fellow be?

On this land we put our brand Cartwright is the name,

Fortune smiled, the day we filed the Ponderosa claim

Here in the west we're living in the best

Bonanza

With the friendliest, fightingist, lovingist band,

That ever set foot in the promised land

And we're happier than them all.

That's why we call it

Bonanza...bonanza.. bonanza..

And here's the link that includes links to the music:

http://www.bonanza1.com/lyrics.html

Anybody want to know the Star Trek lyrics?

:)

More later,

Vahktang

OC: Can we have a scorecard, please?

IC:

Middle boy Eric rolls into camp, holding Joseph's hand, while Abraham is working on the harnesses.

"Pa."

"Yes, Eric."

"I don't care much for that Cat girl."

Abraham checks the leather for weak spots as Eric picks up a part and mimics his father.

"Why? Because your brother Adam is trying to spend time with her and isn't playing with you."

The large boy shuffles his feet and looks down at them, while Joseph squats down and finds an odd beetle fascinating.

"Nah. It's just that, well..."

"Speak your mind boy. Be respectful and honest. No harm in that."

"She's kind of looking at us crosseyed."

"Well, Eric, her bringing up was not what you would call ordinary. I know most of the indians out here are just plain folks, not all that much different from you and me. You have to give her a little lee way in how she acts."

"But what if she's doing what they're saying?"

"If anybody messes with us," says Joeseph:

They'll be Sorry."

Abraham puts down the harness and looks pointedly at the boys.

"Now, Joseph, you know we don't go starting any trouble."

"Yes, but I know that we end it," Joseph says, mimicing something he's heard a lot.

Abraham sighs.

"I am very glad I got you away from your uncle's influence.

"Now you listen to me. You treat people with respect until you see them treat you otherwise. And then just don't associate with them anymore. Be friendly."

"Not like that, Mr. Bluett, right, pa," asks Eric.

"No, now I don't have anything wrong to say about Mr. Bluett. He's just not a very friendly sort. He can associate with whom he pleases. We just keep our hand out and if he ever shakes it, we'll shake it back. Now go and check up on the horses. They're next to Mrs. Gainsburg's, check on them, too."

"Yes, pa," the boys chorus.

Abraham returns to his work. That Nathaniel fellow was not a friendly sort. That was OK in the east, but, out here, that sort of attitude could leave you high and dry

when trouble came.

OOC: a vote for Merelas~~Nathaniel Bluett.

More later,

Vahktang

Cat comes silently to the wagon, and sits down at the sisters' feet, telling in her unique way what she has heard around. Rosalie looks at Amanda, her face showing clearly some amazement at that nearly unrecognizable English, and something else that Amanda recognizes as her Teaching Spirit. Laughing softly, Amanda talks a bit to Cat before she leaves again, now towards Charlotte's wagon.

"Even Nate is being accused... how can one think evil of him?"

"Temper," answers Rosalie quietly.

Amanda shakes her head, sad. "They don't know Nate. He wouldn't be able to kill... he's too much of a lawyer for that. Cat suspects Mr. Cartwright, and she didn't like listening to his suspicions of Nate either. I'm not sure it's her wild wisdom, or just dislike because of us. And Charlotte..."

She looks towards the Cajun girl's wagon, frowning and whispering almost to herself, though Rosalie can listen. "What's she doing here... and the murders could have been by a woman's hand. None of them needed a man's strength, not really. She seems also to attract so much sympathy from others, specially the women... Would it be possible? Rosie, what do you think? You are very observing, and I trust you... "

"Maybe I should just ask Nate if he knows something of Charlotte, or if any of his friends has had some news from Louisiana...

OOC Vote for Charlotte Gainsbourg/Lady Celes