The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

WEREWOLF HO-O!

Gnarlitch

Charlotte thanked Trudy for her help.

- Do not worry, Madame. I wont hesitate to ask for your help. But if you need help of any kind, I'll be glad to assist you.

When the little boy tells everyone about the Lady in the meadow and Gertrude is looking for Mr. McAllister, the Cajun talks to Polly.

- So, you're name is Polly?

The young teenager nods, while hugging Nel.

- Is she her little sister? What's her name

- Her name is Nel.

- What a pretty name! Did you choosed it?

- Yes I did! Polly said proudly

Both teens laughs together.

- Charlotte? May I ask why you speak so weird?

The Cajun chuckles and winks at the Little girl

- That's because this is how Cajun speaks, ma petite!

(OOC: "Ma petite" is the feminine french form for "My little".)

Edit: Is fixing the post according to fit Jamia's description of Polly.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nathaniel slowly realized what he had done to her, and he felt ashamed. He put down the bread he had been eating, and crossed to her, taking her into his arms.

"I know, Amanda. It's just... that woman today, and with the food... I'm just so scared that we won't have enough, and we won't make it to California together. I'm so worried about you and Rosalie... and now we have one more mouth to feed."

He just held her there for a while, and closed his eyes.

Lord, help me to control my temper... I know that I hurt those closest to me when I lose it, and I pray that you will assist me in keeping it in check. Give me the words to say and the actions to display that will help Amanda, Rosalie, and this new addition to our wagon that we will make it.

He lifted her chin, and looked into her eyes. "I'm sorry I yelled. You know I love you," he said.

"Yes, I do know, Nate. I am sorry, too." Amanda gives a small smile, trying to bury her restlessness. She had a loving, caring husband. She didn't need to remember a painful past, and being abandoned. She sighs, being held by Nathaniel.

"I don't really know if Cat is staying with us... she's been changing wagons frequently, you know that. But she's a lovely girl in her own way, and we could help her."

Then, she shivers. "That woman... there's talk of murder, Nate. Is that possible? Is there anyone here who could have killed her?"

Nathaniel shook his head, and looked down. "I'm really not sure, Love. I don't know anyone here well enough to tell... but I want you and Rosalie and Cat to stay together from now on as much as you can, and if anyone tries to hurt you, you just scream bloody murder. There isn't a herd of wild horses that couldn't keep me from you if I knew you were being hurt. When we circle up tonight, I want you to stay with me until I'm in the wagon too."

Nathaniel kissed her then briefly, and hugged her, before continuing, "I'm going to see if I can find Rosalie. Be careful, Amanda."

At that, he hugged her once more, and set out to find Rosalie to give her the same speech.

A clarification: Trudy McAlister's children are Polly, age 14; Isaiah, jr., age 11; and Nell, age 3. Polly is almost a woman, and is inclined to moon after the boys. MTYFoolish's and Katz's portrayals of Isaiah, jr. are the most accurate. And do I understand that Young Cat is about age 12, too? Hardly a small child. Celes' portrayal of Polly would fit better as Nell...almost perfectly, as a matter of fact. ;) All it needs is slight simplification in the child's responses.

But, my apologies for the interruption, and back to our story...

Edited by Jammeez

Gunther leaned idly against the wheel of his wagon, watching all the bustle with an almost lazy interest that decieved most people into thinking he was constantly asleep. An interesting group he was travelling with, and a possible murderer in amongst them to boot. Quietly he layed each of the facts out in his head, trying to find the solution.

With a final satisfied twist of his wrists the puzzle Gunther had created came together, forming a complex symbo, that few would know. Few amoung the people travveling amongst the wagons that was. Carefully he reformed the puzzle into the unrecognisable collection of loops and rings. Hopefully this would be able to confirm a theory of his. He took the puzzle over to the child known as Cat and handed it to her.

"A challenge for the smart." Gunther said softly, a small smile on his face.

Enough chitter chateer, lets get down to the dirty business. someone here has to have been a killer. who was it? i dont like accusing little girls but that little girl we found is very unknown to us, know one knows anything about her. I'm gonna keep quiet for now, but im watching her.

OOC: nothing yet

Nathaniel searched through the wagons for Rosalie, but did so in vain. it appeared that the child (though she was hardly a child, but he always thought of her as his little sister) was nowhere to be found.

"Probably off daydreaming somewhere," he muttered to himself, with a smile. Rosalie was an exceptionally bright child, if not a little bit... odd. Some might call her crazy, but Nate's general opinion was that she was misunderstood, even by him.

More importantly at the moment, she was an expert shot with a pistol, and he had wanted to tell her to stay near Amanda, and to keep her gun loaded.

As he was walking in search of her, he heard one of the men spouting off about who had committed the murder, and accusing Cat of it. He stopped, and turned to the man... this was his arena. "Sir, I will kindly remind you that every person is innocent until proven guilty, and that this young woman has done nothing which proves her guilt as yet. We can't turn this into a witch-hunt, and kill whomever rubs us the wrong way," he said, and waited for a reply.

OOC: No vote yet/Refusal to Vote so far.

Cat took the puzzle from Gunther. "Thank you sir." But she was generally a lonesome person, so she waited until he turned away before working on it.

Cat greatly enjoyed the challenge of fitting all the bits together, and she'd never seen anything like it before so it was a new sort of challenge. But after a while, it finally clicked into place and the short-lived look of satisfaction on her face quickly became shock. She looked up to see Gunther watching her.

In the language she'd learned from the Indians, the puzzle said "What tribe?" Gunther had already seen the surprise on her face, but she had been warned from every one of the elders not to give away where she came from. So she tried to look satisfied again, and hopped up to Gunther, handing the completed puzzle to him. "Hard puzzle," she said, "but worth picture." Then she left him as quickly as she could.

She thought maybe she could try to catch a rabbit for the nice people she was going to stay with tonight.

Amanda sighs, not saying anything else. She knows Nate's temper very well by now, and knows also that showing her own temper right now won't help in anything. So, as he goes after Rosalie she just picks her own gun and loads it.

"You care so much for me, Nate, that you forget father made sure I knew how to use weapons either to defend the farm or myself. It's just that Rosalie had more time and chance to practice than myself... " She smiles, remembering how her dearest sister made a mess of all "womanly tasks" so she was always sent away after some time. Rosalie couldn't thread a needle if her life depended on that!

And while checking her weapon and Rosalie's, her mind wanders around the death of Widow Barnabus. She sighs, looking at the wagons and the people gathered in small groups.

"An assassin among us? So hard to believe... Nate is right, why would one kill for jewels? And yet..."

Amanda frowns, her heart telling her that there's something wrong. She remembers what her mother said, about trusting her instinct. She looks for Cat, but the girl has disappeared again, probably being curious somewhere. And Rosalie hasn't returned yet.

Cat was a stranger, coming from nowhere. She sometimes said funny things about Indians. But she was just a girl. And the men...

Men... a man she trusted, and abandoned her... she wanted to go to him, to talk and ask why. She wanted to know why he hadn't sent any news. And she wanted also to spit on his face for not having had the courage to come back for her after her father had forced them apart.

Did she still love him? Or did she hate him? Reappearing so suddenly, in the middle of nowhere, when she was just settling as happily as she could in a new life...

Nate... she trusted him, and he loved her as much as to die for her. Could she ask for more?

Amanda slams her palm on the wagon's side, using the pain to focus her mind. "Are you doing like Rosalie, daydreaming and losing yourself, Amanda Bluett?" hisses to herself. "You're a happy married woman. Forget the past."

OOC No voting yet

Polly sits next to her mother on a folding stool next to the wagon. She looks off toward the other wagons, trying to get a glimpse of Jake...or those Cartwright boys...that man in the black is interesting, too...but kinda scary...*sigh*

"Girl, you'll be the death of me!" Mrs. McAlister shakes her head, not looking up from her mending. "Don't be in such a hurry to grow up!"

"But, Ma! You were only seventeen when I was born. Pa started courtin' you when you were 14..."

"...and I was too young", the woman interrrupts.

"Yes, Ma." *sigh*

They sit in silence for a spell, Polly watching the edges of the camp, still hoping to catch glimpses. Trudy glances up every now and then to make sure Nell hasn't wandered too far. The little girl sits in a clump of tall grass playing with Henrietta, her ragdoll. The woman tries hard not to think about the doll...Isaiah had made that doll for Nell's third birthday...tears mist Trudy's eyes, but she blinks them briskly away.

"Polly, go find Isaiah, jr., please...and come right back!"

Polly jumps up and hurries off, throwing back over her shoulder "Yes, Ma!"

Edited by Jammeez

Cat disappears into the bushes by the caravan. Nice to be alone for a little while again. She walks until she finds a likely looking tree, cutting off a branch with her knife while saying a little prayer for it. Then, she strips part of the bark and wraps it into a loop. She lays the trap down and lies so that she can pull it back when needed. Then she waits.

It takes a while of lying alone in the bushes, but a rabbit does come along. Cat had been enjoying herself just being there, but when it came she tensed and felt the intense pleasure once more of hunting.

The rabbit looks at her, but she doesn't move. It is lanky, but contains meat enough for the family to enjoy. It blinks its big brown eyes and Cat utters a prayer for it. She needs this meat to please Amanda and Nate, and so feels herself justified in this hunt, but she needs to explain as much to the gods. She feels their satisfaction, so when the rabbit moves into position, Cat doesn't hesitate to pull as quickly as she can. The rabbit tries to get away, as is natural for it. Instead of comforting, as Cat had been wont to do while still learning, she kills it as soon as she can without hurting it. Trying to comfort the thing only adds to its suffering, she had learned, and one should never cause pain for the things one needs to kill.

Leaving the trap behind, Cat takes the rabbit out of the bushes. On her way to the caravan she sees the one known as Eric Smith. She had heard whispers that some of the people thought she had killed the woman, but this man was surely as suspicious as she was, even appearing as she did in the middle of nowhere. Some of the men were arguing about who had done it, and Jake in particular mentioned her name. He looked guilty, too, but when Cat walked into the group, dead rabbit in hand, she pointed at Eric Smith. "That man more guilty than any here. I just little girl, but see how he carries hisself."

They start to turn to her, asking why she thought that, but with all of them looking at her at once she lost her composure. She turned and ran back into the caravan, interupting Amanda and Nate who were talking about something. She held up the rabbit proudly. "For supper." But by then, the men had followed her. One of them, by the sounds of it Jake, was saying, "Come back out little girl. Why do you think that?" Cat looks at Amanda and says, "Me sorry. But he's bad." and sets the rabbit down, going back outside to the others.

Edit: Oops, a vote for Eyremon - Eric Smith

Edited by Katzaniel

Amanda and Nate look at Cat, surprised, and Amanda opens her bright smile at once. "That's so thoughtful of you, Catling... we thank you very much." She mades a gesture to pick the rabbit when Jake's voice intrudes and Cat leaves in a run.

"Catling? What do you mean? Who's bad?"

Puzzled, Amanda turns to Nate, "Who's bad? Jake?"

As he looks at the door, thoughtful, Amanda picks the rabbit and smiles again. "She is a nice girl, Nate. She knows we'll need more food with her here." She puts the rabbit away, so she can prepare and salt its meat later on. "You won't think so bad of me again, will you? You know I didn't mean to bring us trouble."

While looking at her husband, Amanda's thoughts race in her mind.

"He's bad"... who? Jake had called her. And he was a hardened man, if she still knew how to recognize one. But that didn't make him a killer.

And again this thing of killing... how did she know there *was* a killing, anyway? Nate didn't quite believe in it. But she'd heard the whispering, also. Jake didn't like Cat. But then, he didn't seem to like any children. And she also remembered that Cat didn't seem to like that Eric Smith either.

What was she doing? Following the lead of a quite wild, if smart girl, instead of her husband's?

But then, she had always been quite independent. Her father had made her so. And that was one thing that made Nate love her so much.

She smiles again.

OOC Still not voting

As soon as Charlotte had finished with checking up her belongings, news of the murder and then suspicion comes around. Then she assist at the bizarre accusation that Cat made against Eric Smith.

- Are you sure what you are saying, petite fille? Sure, this man carried himself well, like all this rugged men I've seen. But I wonder who had wanted the widow dead and why? As for me, I don't have any suspect in mind.

(OOC: No vote yet)

OOC: how many posts and no accusations yet?

Am I the first?

IC:

Abraham Cartrwight makes another pull on his pipe.

'Such a group of nice of folks. Hard to believe that one of us was a killer.

'That fellow Nathaniel seems an odd fellow.

'So worried about his family, his new life, his future.

'Is he worried enough to do _anything_ to protect it?

'Seems so.

'I'll talk to him tonight, take his measure.

'Hope he's a friendly sort, wouldn't want his manner to shade my judgement.'

"C'mon boys, bring the pie I baked. We're going to share a meal with the Bluetts. Yes, Adam, that girl Cat can join us if she's a mind. We have plenty. Go and invite her."

OOC: vote for Merelas~~Nathaniel Bluett

More later,

Vahktang

Markus sits on the side of his wagon, his feet dangling over the ground, watching the children play. He holds a cigarette in one hand, and a sandwich in the other, which he's eating very slowly.

Looking out over the campsite he sees the children playing happily with themselves. He leans back, resting against the wagon and exhales a plume of smoke, taking a bite out of his sandwich.

A murderer running around, and Amanda's got my damned senses all mixed up. It could be anyone, for sure. Little white girl raised by indians..... but she's just a kid...

It could even be Amanda, if I didn't know her well enough to know she'd never kill anyone.... that lawyer of hers is awfully odd, though. Didn't think she'd ever marry someone like him.

But, that Smith guy. He strikes me as someone who would kill, and not even need a high price to do it.

He allows himself to slide slowly off of the edge of the wagon, bringing himself to a standing position. He takes the last bite of his sandwich and swallows it, putting his cigarrette to his lips and holding it there.

"Getting pretty late, best get these kids off to their parents." Markus says quietly to himself, then proceeds to round up the children and take each one to his or her parent's wagon to wash up for dinner and bed.

OOC: Eyremon - Eric Smith

Charloote wonders as well at Eric Smith. This guy is indeed capable of killing, but does he have any motives to do so? But she looks around her and the question could apply to everyone.

- Well, perhaps that we lack of anykind of motive, I belive that I shall say who could had done it. In my opinion, it seems that Mr. Eric Smith is able to do it.

(OOC: A vote against Eyremon - Eric Smith)

Nathaniel shakes his head, holding Amanda lightly by the shoulders. "I'm not sure there was a killing at all, dearest wife. We should not speculate or accuse without proof. What Jake did, accusing Cat, was wrong. We won't do the same."

Amanda blushes lightly, not answering. Nate sighs, trying hard to keep his temper.

"I'm going out for a while, Nate. I do have to prepare this rabbit, and it's easier doing this out."

She leaves quickly, before he has time to react. Outside, she manages to get to Cat and listens from her the same words she has said to the men. As the girl slips away once more, Amanda looks at Smith, thoughtful.

"Nate does not believe in assassination here... but my heart says the contrary. Cat is a smart girl... and I think she does know a lot about nature, and so the nature of men. She may have some reason here. Smith could undoubtedly kill... although others could also ... "

OOC A vote for Eric Smith/Eyremon

Nate shrugged. Perhpas that little girl was for the best. At least she had attempted to supplement their meal, and caught a rabbit. It wasn't easy to catch the little suckers, either, and there was no evidence of shot in the animal. She was quick, and to him, quickness had always implied intelligence. And she had accused that man, Eric Smith.

But it was against all his teaching, his morals, his knowledge of the law to accuse someone without concrete evidence, and he had none of that. Merely the impression that the man carried himself strangely was not enough for him to base his decision on.

"I'm not sure there was a killing at all, dearest wife. We should not speculate or accuse without proof. What Jake did, accusing Cat, was wrong. We won't do the same."

And then she left. Nate could tell that her reason was merely an excuse, and that saddened him. Was he so held to the law that his wife would not stand by him?

No, that wasn't it. There was something else troubling her. It could be the spat they'd had earlier in the day about Cat, but he didn't think so. He loved her with his entire being, and his heart told him that something was amiss aside from the new girl. He would have to speak with her on it tonight at dinner.

It was then that Abraham arrived at their wagon, with his troop of boys with them. Nathaniel looked at them, surprised.

"We come to share a meal with you, Mr. Bluett. I've brought here a pie I baked."

"Why, thank you, Mr. Cartwright. It's a pleasure to have your company," he said with a smile. It had been getting a little unnerving, not knowing anyone else in the wagon train except Amanda and Rosalie. Mr. Cartwright seemed like a very sensible man, and he hoped that he could become friends with him.

"I will be right back, Abraham. I'll see if I can find Amanda and Rosalie to share our company, and Amanda was fixing a rabbit to eat. I imagine we can take down some of the salt pork we've got stored too, and we'll have a grand time!" he said, and he bade Mr. Cartwright and his children to wait for him by the wagon as he trekked off to find his wife and sister-in-law.

OOC: Refusal to vote, unless someone in the thread can provide some sort of concrete evidence such as an eye-witness.

As the sun sets on the Sabbath, Trudy stands listening to the group gathered 'round the fire. Her children were early to their beds.

Someone related the story of the girl, Cat, accusing Mr. Smith...and for some reason, her opinion held some weight with this group, 'though she also engendered suspicion with her odd ways and her sudden appearance.

Unsure of why she did so, Trudy added her voice to the growing dissention against Mr. Smith. It just seemed that girl had some wisdom hidden deep in those eyes of hers...

Edited by Jammeez

After more than a week on the trail the weary group of travelers nears their first major milestone, Fort Kearny, Nebraska. The majority of the trip so far has been uneventful, other than the Widow's death. One of the men was driving her wagon now. They had made a search for her missing jewels but nothing had been found.

The only other excitement in the long, weary march across the mostly flat and empty plains had been when one of the Cartwrights horses had stepped in a gopher hole, breaking the horses leg and throwing it's rider, Little Joe. Luckily, Joe escaped without serious injury, maybe a cracked rib. Of course, not even that would have happened if he hadn't been racing across the plains chasing an antelope like some half crazed mad man! He now had the onerous duty of driving the family wagon as his punishment, plus he had to care for his brothers' horses. He stared out at the plains glumly while he drove.

It is late in the afternoon as the first wagon crests the rise and sees Fort Kearney in the distance. On the north side there is even a small indian village, which excites the young ones and worries the parents. A small detachment from the fort approaches the group and speaks to Jebediah Morgan.

Sgt. Pierce Greetings. Jebediah! Is that you? I figured that you'd had enough of this trail after you last trip.

Jeb A man has to earn his keep as best he knows how. And this trail is about all I know at this point in my life. What else am I to do?

Pierce Well, Jeb, I hope this trip goes better'n the last, I shorely do.

Jeb I appreciate thet, Pierce, you know I do. Where would you like us to set up camp?

Pierce Well, that is what I am here about, Jeb. There's been some trouble in these parts of late, and as such the Major wanted me to invite you to pull your wagons inside the fort tonite.

Jeb Thet's mighty nice o' the man. Thankee!

With that the detachment of soldiers leads the wagons into the fort and directs them to set up on the west end of the parade ground. Jeb tells everyone that they will rest here a day and then get a fresh start day after tomorrow. This news is met with much excitement. The women, those that can afford it anyways, go off to the fort sutlers store to see what he has to offer. Meanwhile, the men set up camp and tend to the animals.

There is a sense of festiveness in the air which is soon felt by all. Jeb decides to pull out his fiddle and plays a jig. Soon, those others that have instruments join in by turns inbetween fixing dinner. Then, some of the soldiers show up with instruments as well and a good old fashioned hoe down ensues. The women dance with their men and then begin dancing with the soldiers and single men as well, so that all can enjoy themselves. The only downside of the evening's festivities was when a fight broke out between Adam Cartwritght and one of the soldiers, apparently over who's turn it was to dance with Polly. Mrs. McAllister and a stick of firewood soon sorted them out, however. Not long after full dark things began to wind down as the travelers' exhaustion took over and the soldiers began thinking of their next day's duties.

The next day dawned bright and sunny, with a beautiful blue spring sky. Birds were chirping and bugles were blaring as life at the fort went about its usual buisness. Sometime in the early afternoon Eric Smith stepped from the sutlers, chewing on a fresh plug of tobacco he had just bought. He looked up just in time to see a group of five civilians ride in through the gates on lathered and tired looking horses. Controlling the urge to wet himself he quickly steps back into the store, pretending he'd forgotten something. The strangers split into two groups, one of which rides up to the Major's office while the other begins checking out the wagons.

Major's Aide Can I help you gentlemen?

Jon Stark Yes. What can you tell me about this group of pioneers? How long have they been here? I'm looking...

Major Cavenaugh Yes, I'm sure you are. But who are you and what buisness is it of yours, sir. *flatly*

Stark My name, sir, is Jon Stark. I have been hired by one Wil Gearing of New York City to track down one Eric Strauss, also known as Eric Smith. I beleive him to be hiding in this bunch of sod busters.

Major New York City you say? This is Nebraska, sir. What buisness might you have here?

Stark Strauss/Smith is a lawbreaker, sir, and a thief. There is a price on his head.

Major A law braker? he has broken no laws that I know of here. And this is MY jurisdiction. I would know if he were committing crimes here.

Stark But....

Major You, sir, are not a lawman, and have no rights here as such. However, I will look into this matter. You and your men will not molest these travellers. Is that clear?

Stark But...

Major I said, IS THAT CLEAR, SIR? If not I can just as easily detain you in the brig for the next month if you would like.

Stark No sir. I will await your investigation. *slinks out of the ofice*

Meanwhile...

Eric Smith is getting nervous waiting in the store, more so because the sutler is giving him strange looks.

Smith Um, excuse me. But is there a back door I could use?

Sutler Jim Sure, right this way... *shoves him out a rear door which he then promptly bars from the inside* Crazy bastard...

Smith sneaks along behind the various buildings, avoiding the men who have just rode in. Finally he makes his way around the fort to the back side of the wagon encampment, where his horse and posessions are at. He quickly gathers his things and makes to leave...

Jake Burrow Smith! Careful, there are some men here looking for you!

Smith I know, I'm leaving as quickly as I can.

Jake Why don't you hide here? We'll take care of things...

Ben Stark I don't think that would be a very good idea, Strauss, or should I call you "Smith?" hahaha

Eric Smith turns to flee, finding the way blocked by a man holding a pistol. Then, when another pistol is pressed into the small of his back, he raises his hands. His captors begin to march him out of the wagon encampment, but suddenly bullets start flying from all directions. When the smoke finally clears no one is sure who fired the first shot, or why. All that is certain is that three of the five stranges are dead, as well as Smith, and a one of the travellers are wounded. Jake Burrow got a nasty "burn" across his shoulder from a close miss. Apparently most of the travellers are handy with guns of some sort and these strangers picked the wrong group to mess with. Of the two survivors of the strangers, one is shot so full of holes no one is sure if he will live, and Jon Stark was shot in the leg as he dove behind a water trough. He was found there wimpering after it was over.

Major Mr. Morgan, I don't beleive it was your people who started the troupble, but you sure finished it. I'm asking you to be out the gates by sunrise tomorrow.

Jeb Yes, sir, and thankyou.[/b]

Major And, Mr. Morgan? Make this your last trip through here. There's been enough trouble in this territory. And this isn't the first time it wasn't you who started it but you were in the middle of it somewhere. I'll hold Stark until long after you're gone.

The last wagon is just a shadow as it rolls out of the fort's gates while the merest hint of the dawn is showing at the edges of the plains.

Eyremon was an innocent pioneer, although someone didn't like him much. Now is night phase, which also will last a week or so game time. Wolves, Seer, Hunter...you have 24 hours to make your choices known to me by pm. Have fun Rping the trip from Fort Kearney to the Platte Crossing.

Edited by Gnarlitch