The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

The Mighty Pen Weekly (Tentative title)

Zariah

Zariah’s Quill Quest

(OOC: I miss some of our absent people here at the Pen, so I decided that if a newsletter was sent to everyone who is signed up, then maybe they will have an interest in coming back. Especially since Soooo much has been changing or “upgrading” around here. I will be making my proposition and explanations in character, so Zariah will be available for questions and concerns here on the thread or through PM. I hope to utilize this addition of the Pen as a way to help unite all of us together and provide a source of information for those who cannot make it to the pen very often. I know that when I am super busy and can’t get to the Pen, I feel left behind when I get there and sometimes overwhelmed with all the threads and post I need to read. This way, a summary of events can catch everyone up and then they can go to those posts that they are interested in to catch up. I hope everyone enjoys)

Summoning up courage, Zariah straightens to an uplifted position, aware that she will be speaking to the entire community. Hands shaking, and legs slightly trembling, Zariah opens the door and walks inside. A small stage with table and chair is set up in the back of the room. Several members are there, with curiosity and eagerness lighting up on their faces. Zariah feels a rush of nervousness leave her body and then an energy boost of adrenaline. She walks to the back of the room, steps onto the stage and announces to the crowd,

“Good afternoon to all of thee fine members of The Pen. As you are aware, I have been summoned for my Quill Quest. The idea at hand is a weekly newsletter to be sent to all the folk here at the Pen once every seventh day to inform them of the weekly events here at the Pen. For this task, I shall need your help. There are several tasks that need to be accomplished before creating the very first issue. These include the following:

~ A Title of this Newsletter: In Hopes to Be Catchy and perhaps humorous.

~ Possible permanent columns: If anyone is interested in taking a permanent role of covering an area to be used for summarizing events in any area, you are encouraged and welcomed to overtake that position. I would need your preference of interest and a nifty title for your column. You may tell me here or send me a message later. There will be a deadline set for every week and failure to complete your column in time will result in not having your column in that week’s newsletter. I am not willing to be late in the printing.

~ Should this newsletter be written as an email or as an attachment for Microsoft Word?

• If it is in email form, it will not have fancy graphics, BUT it would insure everyone could open it

• If it is in Microsoft word, I can use boxes, borders, columns, graphics, color, and other interesting and artistic additions

These are issues that I desperately need input on before I can begin crafting the first issue. I will leave the post open to ideas and feedback for two weeks and then begin the process of creation of the newsletter on November 29th the hope is that the issue can be sent by December 1st.

Thank you for your time, future efforts, and ideas. I hope this will be successful and that everyone benefits from this service.”

With this, several claps are heard and Zariah heads behind the table and sets herself upon the wooden chair.

Hm... unfortuantly, not a lot of time, but I'd suggest using e-mail rather then Word, at least for the first one that you send out to all members. (After that, sending to those who sign up for it may be the better option)

The reasons for using e-mail:

1) Smaller file size

2) No attachments (random messages with attachments are treated with extreme suspicion, at least by me.)

*nod* good point. Totally aside from any MicroSquish product weaknesses, even. ;)

i would definitely suggest e-mail for the first one, and include in that issue a "vote" on whether those receiving it would wish to continue with the e-mail format or would prefer the "glossier" Word format. (though i think any who didn't respond, i'd chalk up as e-mail votes, myself.)

Still checking time availabilities against committments and trying to figure what the heck type of column i'd write. Perhaps it would help if you tossed out some ideas of the "areas" you would like to see covered and the types of things you're interested in including?

Prolly my training in security, but I'd stick with email.

This sounds like a nifty idea! I'm starting to get busy enough that I'm hitting the Pen once every four days instead of four times a day, and it looks to get busier. I'd like something like this. :)

Hugs and whispers in her ear, "good speech".

I have an idea for a regular column, I'd even be happy to submit it to you each month if you're interested, Zariah. :0)

I think it would be neat to have a "mystery person" column. (for lack of a better name)

Basically I would get with someone at The Pen each month and get to know them, interview them etc. Then write up a little blurb about them. (Sending it to them for approval first, of course.) Then that could be posted in the newsletter and people can try to figure out who it is.

The name of the mystery person can be revealed in the following months newsletter along with a new mystery person blurb. :0) I thought this might be a neat idea because we could get to know people. :0) Since the person has to agree to be "interviewed" (again, lack of a better word) and has final approval on the blurb, I think it could be a neat attribute. :0)

So, if you're looking for people who are volunteering to do a monthly column, then here you go! I'm volunteering. *grins*

Great idea. :0)

OH, and for whatever it's worth, I agree, I think email is the way to go. :0)

~Salinye :butterfly:

Oh, and I just realized, since this is a weekly newsletter, the mystery person could be in the first issue of every month or some such. Maybe people could even write in with questions as they are trying to figure out who it is? Just brainstorming here. :0)

~Salinye :butterfly:

OOC: *sighs, pants, brushes her brow* It's been a hectic weekend and again, left with no computer access I could not continue this until tonight. Appologies to all. :(

Zariah thinks over the great ideas that have come thus far. :huh:

"Sayline, my dear you are welcome to be a coloumnist. I think for the best of the community, the first issue should be via what some call "e-mail", now I am not sure what this is concerning of such machines of "computers" or what-not...but a friend of mine can help me with this technicality.

Anywho... I think there should be these within the letter, and I am still hoping Wyvvern has something to contribute as well.

* Opening, preferably discussing the current "Big Event" of the Pen

*Sayline's BRILLIANT cover of a pen member

* Summaries of stories or poems

*Excerpt of one or more RP's (SOmeone involved with the RP's should write this one, because I am inexperienced, and very far behind in this area)

* Updates on tentative new contests, ideas for any RPG's

*Guild news (Preferably by one of the guildleaders...or at least someone could interview them and see what they are up to)

*Wyvvern's antics (or whatever he wants to write) He is humerous enough to make anyone want to read anything he writes)

*If there are contests, winners can be announced

*Possible the thought of adding links to the mail that link to the webpages where specific writings are spoken about for easy access

Gwai- Do you want to have a particular spot where you write something about your observations on the pen or a funny story about your wiggly cabbages or something? Maybe there can be a column explaining the "inside jokes" that go one around the pen so we can all understand the humour???

I will get my friend, Katy to play with this "computer" of hers and test the "email" graphics to create a tentative design

Meanwhile all who see and are interested, claim a position, create a new one to add, contribute other ideas, and note that whatever positions are left, I myself shall write. This meaning that it may be very boring...but informative."

She shifts in her seat and glances at the audience.

OOC: I will create a tentative one and then if anyone can PM their ideas or even mock column I can add it... Thank you to those who contributed or offered already :flower::D

Zariah,

Sorry about not responding to this earlier... I also think that a Pen newsletter is an awesome idea, and would be happy to contribute a column to it if you'd like. :) I could do an "Ask Mr. Almost Dragonic" unreliable advice section or a simple "Greedy Rants" column as two potential options, though I'm cool with any kind of thing you'd like. Like Salinye, though, I'd probably prefer contributing to it once a month rather than once a week due to time restraints.

Having said this, Wyvern rubs his scaly palms together greedily and sinisterly adds "overcharge for newsletter services" on his list of geld-making schemes....

P.S: Another potential newsletter title could be "The Inkwell."

I'd be willing to do something

Not sure If I could keep up weekly, but I'd do my best.

Good luck!!!

P.S. : because so many people don't want to do it weekly, you could have a spot that rotates each week: example:

Salynye has it for the first week of every month

Wyv for the second

Me for the third

et cetera

Edited by Vlad

I think Vlad's idea of a rotating spotlight columnist is a good one. A monthly newsletter would require a lot of research and reading to keep up with poems, rp, stories, and news in general. If people rotate their columns, every week featuring someone else, it would allow the newsletter to be up to date (one can get really far behind on reading if ya skip a week or two..). I dunno. Prolly too late to make last minute changes anyway.

another idea fer ya....see if people are willing to contribute story hooks for rp and very brief subjects for poetry and stories. Not too much...just something simple such as : war threatens two neighboring countries,

a mysterious letter addressed to (insert willing role-player here) is found on the body of a dead messenger, etc...

Perhaps some random names could be chosen each week, and each of the people chosen could be asked to contribute one idea for role-playing/stories/poems for the next newsletter. bleh. Seems whatever light was flickering within my head has popped and blown out. anyway, great idea on the newsletter. I could certainly use something like this.

Edited by Brute

*sigh*

Okay. I like those ideas.

It's declared that it will be MONTHLY newsletter/ email to update members of the Pen. I also like the idea of roating columns as well. So so far it's left under the possibilities that thse have signed up for certain topics:

Sayline~ Mystery Person Idea or variation thereof

Wyvvern~ either of your two....are cool!

Vlad & Gwaihir~ You all didn't have specific ideas so I'd like to ask which one of you all pay the most attention in the conservatory? Because I liked Brutes idea of giving a suspenseful trailer for the threads. But I am not a good reader or participant in that room and can't do a good job covering that. The other one of you can possibly do the same thing in the Asswmbly room if you want....

So far I will cover big things going on at the Pen, New Updates, and Banquet Hall poems.... Perhaps if ANYONE wants to add anything they can reach me through PM or email at Ditzy2628@aol.com.... just write The Mighty Pen in the subject box so I don't accidentally erase it.

If anyone has any other ideas, reply here or PM me!

Names:

Pen-O-Gram

The Mighty Pen Weekly

or maybe

The Mighty Pen-O-Gram!

I will ask for suggestions for a few more days and then maybe put together a vote???

But I think the newslettere will be via e-mail to ensure everyone can get it.

:woot:

What about once every two weeks? The rotating ones could be every month or every two months even. And that madlib thing that was suggested in another thread. I just think two weeks is better than a month because it would be really hard to keep up with it (and if you wait a whole month, you may be tempted to make it longer than people are going to want to read) versus having it every week, which does not allow for much planning time.

How about (a variation on that other suggestion), The Mighty Inkwell? Or The Mighty Inkspot, since it's sort of a summary thing.

Wyvern: I think your advice column would be absolutely awesome, although I think that alternating would work, too, if you found it more inspiring.

Um.. if no one else has claimed the spot, I could try getting the madlib thing going for the next publication. It's just that I'm *really* bad for not coming here often, and I'm more likely to be the one that needs this to keep up!

Edit: PS, email is definately the way to go. Most people here are virus-literate enough that it would be deleted immediately if it had an attachment :)

Edited by Katzaniel

• 1 month later...

Ok here's the deal

My life has taken a turn where I need to focus on school.

I cannot be here as often and I cannot dedicate myself here.

I really wanted to.

But for now, I must not do a QQ and I need to just take it slow.

So THANK you for all those who offered to help. I am sorry to all those who were interested in a newsletter. ANYONE is welcome to take over this idea.

I am not very happy with myslef for making this choice, but ultimately it is for the better of my life. So appologies to ALL. And for the friends I have made here, please don;t hate me for this. Thanks.

A special appology to Rachel.

So Sorry.

Please take this off the top and maybe erase the whole thread. Thanks.

*blinkblink*

hate you.. for taking care of yourself and doing what you need to do..

hate you.. for recognizing that Real Life comes first, and prioritizing appropriately..

umm..

no??

why??

*blinkblink*

*hugs*