The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Haiku Quest

Vlad

(Because I'm not good at flashy intros and pizzaz, you'll get it like it is)

(On second though, I'll remind you people why I'm not a patron of the Assembly room)

Words mystically flowed through the halls of the mighty pen. The walls seemed more bright, the plants more serene, a touch of spring had fallen near the beginning of winter. Everyone's spirits slightly lifted, everyone was just that much more polite. Some wondered what this was, but most simply dismissed this as the natural effect of the pen.

However, a few brave souls dared to investigate. It was mostly the elders, but a few poets came aong as well. Nobody was suspicious of evil, just curious as to what's what, and who's who. Some searched the towers, but felt less of the effect. Others looked in the great rooms and everything was drowned out by the hubbub of everything else going on.

Gwaihir chose to simply wander where it felt natural. Into the wiggly cabbage patch. These beings pointed him in the right direction, and a few minutes later he saw Vlad under a tree all by himself.

Close your eyes and look

Please tell me what you can see

If one was pure love

The elf looked at the vampire with a strange glance and started to walk away, guessing this couldn't be the source of happiness.

Your spirit be cleansed

One can never hope too much

Leave in peace, Elder

Gwaihir stopped and turned around with a slight chuckle. He wondered what the undead would say next.

Tell everyone now

Let the people gather here

I will be waiting

After Gwaihir got back to the Cabaret Room and told the small search party that Vlad was raving like a lunatic in the woods, few seemed to believe him. In hushed voices, to not alert more people they all set off together, hoping they didn't have a crazy vampire on their hands. When they got there, Vlad was mumbling to himself about "inner peace", and they left and figured he'd snap out of it when the time came.

On the way back, things unfortunately complicated themselves a bit. Seeing the entire eldership leave in unison with worried looks isn't a thing that goes ignored. In fact a large portion of the membership had gotten up and quietly follewed them. As the two groups met on the outskirts of the forest, Vlad's ramblings steadily became louder.

Wyvern immediately tried to sell tickets to see the lunatic vampire, but most of the writers ignored him and walked past. Peredhil felt it neccessary to stop the horde from all stampeding in, claiming that Vlad wanted peace, and needed to be left alone. As soon as he finished his (polite) speech, the vampire began reciting verse again.

Desire I trust

Like I would on none other

All come together

Join me in the wood

A challenge I pose to thee

Of verse and lined thought

The elders retreated from blocking the path and slowly the membership made their way to see what was going on.

As people arrived in the small clearing, Vlad slowly stood up. Some were dissapointed because rumors of a bloodthirty killing machine spread like wildfire, but most wondered what exactly was going on.

Vlad saw that a great number of people had arrived and decided to begin his proposition.

"I am an aspiring poet. Poetry is what I do best, even if mediocrisy can qualify me. But I love what I do, and I do what I love.

"A haiku is Japanese poetry taking the form on three lines, with five, seven, and five syllables respectively. Another author can respond to this haiku - litteraly translated as 'starting verse' - with a tonka. The tonka is two lines, both of seven syllables. The second author then writes a haiku, to which the first suthor can respond to with another tonka. This can go on forever, as if it were a conversation, in poetry form.

"What I propose today is that the members of the pen get together and write poetry together. I ask that existing poets join, and help other young 'uns to learn and develop their writing. I will be writing with up to 6 people at a time, so when you sign up, indicate whether you wish to be partnered with me, a poet, or anybody at all. I will respond to you as soon as i can, with your partner's name.

"You can communicate through PMs, on chat, in e-mail, or in real life, to be able to co-operate and write the poems. After you have written you can sign up for another, and I will try not to put you with the same partner. The topic can be anything, so long as you have fun."

Having issued his idea, Vlad turned and walked towards the Pen Keep, where he sat down in the Cabaret room, making idle talk with patrons.

hmmm... just in time too, im fairly new to Haikus, as a matter of fact i just posted 3 of them up today.. =)

i would love to participate if possible... doesn't matter who my partner is as long as they are willing to give it their best.

Edited by DoomGaze

Questions:

Is there a beginning date?

And end date? (I'm thinking that everyone can continue, but this IS a Quill Quest, and I'd not like you to be caught in an open-ended quest)

The communication is to be poetry - is there the further restriction that it will be Haiku only? (5-7-5, 7-7, 5-7-5, lather rinse repeat)

Are other types of Haiku allowed?

Do you think you'd have time to make a small research post on Haiku to educate the Penners? (hint: you could steal a lot of stuff from a post by Bedlam on the UBB, if the UBB still exists)

Are the participants to publish excerpts of their poetic conversations, for the amusement or edification of all?

Forces his mind to spin off toward some other issue and leave poor Vlad alone.

*Appy peaks out from behind Kalypso's back* sign me up for infant Haiku's aswell.. never written one in my life, but I'd love to try and have fun communicating that way :D

In plainer words, sign me up with anyone ;p

Edited by Appy

And end date?

The communication is to be poetry - is there the further restriction that it will be Haiku only?

Do you think you'd have time to make a small research post on Haiku to educate the Penners?

Are the participants to publish excerpts of their poetic conversations, for the amusement or edification of all?

ok, I'll take it one at a time:

Yes, I'm thinking that by Sunday I'll post the first pairings. After that, I will post another set of pairings in two weeks, so that people may write a second one, and for those who missed the first date can join.

And end date?

Not yet, I'm thinking I will continue this with updates every two weeks, as long as there is demand. If there seems to be a lot of demand, I'm going to regretfully cut it off after three, and then switch it into a monthly thing, seperate from but similar to the quill quest.

The communication is to be poetry - is there the further restriction that it will be Haiku only?

Yes, hence the name "Haiku Quest". This is supposed to be a dialoge between two people in haiku form. This will stress word choice, get people thinking creatively, and force people to work together to have their comlete poem make sense.

I'm not sure yet, I'd have to do a bit more research first. Offhand, I want to say yes, as long as it is consistent. I've seen haiku that is 2-3-2=3-3 instead of 5-7-5=7-7 and would say that that is also acceptable. For more detailed response on other forms of haiku, see next question

Do you think you'd have time to make a small research post on Haiku to educate the Penners?

Yes, I was planning on posting it along with the pairings post on Sunday. This will also include a more complete response to the previous question.

The participants can publish as much, or as little as they feel comfortable posting. I would recommend that the entire conversation gets put on the board, so others may appreciate the writings. I would recommend that you post at least something, so that we can build the community more.

Also, I will have an updated list of haiku conversations as they come in.

I'm loving the response this has gotten so far - if you're thinking about signing up, go ahead and do it, the two week thing isn't to be taken as a deadline, but a guideline. Go at your own pace with your partner, and make it as long or as short as you want it to be.

Most importantly though, have fun!!!

Edit: In the process, don't be afraid to give feedback on your partners work. This is about becoming better poets and writers, not about building egos. Try to show the logic of your revisions though, we learn better that way.

Edited by Vlad

Ooh! Lovely Haiku!

Poetry 'tis fine for few.

Short and very sweet.

Um... I'll bite. Sure, if you'll have me, i'd love to be of any help...

"How, exactly, does

Someone bulletproof a monk?

I'm thinking Scotchguard."

~Hollywood Haiku, taken with proper respect to the guy who wrote it.

(I don't remember his name... chris something...)

Okay, here's the pairings, as promised:

Vlad

Gwaihir

Wrenwind

Kalypso

Salinye

Damon Infernal

Illiana Wolfsong

Reverie

Peredhil - Solivagus

Degenero Angelus - ImmortalGrace

Nyyark - Appy

Alaeha - DoomGaze

Everybody who I'm partnered with is responsible for sending me the first stanza.

You can pick any topic you wish.

Of everybody else, the person listed second will write the first stanza.

E-mailing and PMing seem to be the best ways to communicate.

And now for the brief lesson in haiku.

If the valid forms I've found, 2/3/2=3/3; 5/7/5=7/7; and 4/9/4;7/7 seem the most common.

However, if you pick one, you must be consistent throughout. If you don't like the format, finish up the poem, and start a new one with the same partner.

If you still have questions, go ahead and ask, I'll do my best to answer them.

For everybody that didn't sign up in time for this: put your name down anyways, I'll put you in the drawing for writing in two weeks.

Until next time

May your sacred Muse always be near

Write forever

Edit: Keep your poem in PMs/e-mails/whatever, and only post the final product.

Well, that's how I want everybody who's partnered w/ me to do it.

All other pairs can do it however they want; you can keep it secret, or let us see your progress.

Edit #2: When you post your work, make it in the following format:

Title:(Name) and (Name)'s Haiku

Description: (Title of your poem)

Edit #3: Forgot to put reverie in (sorry) and disregard edit #2.

Edited by Vlad

ok, hmm.... uh huh.

I actually wanted the haikus in a seperate thread of their own in the banquet hall.

I guess this is fine, but if it's not too much trouble could an elder toss 'em over to the right room?

The conversation posts have been moved to http://www.patrickdurham.net/themightypen/index.php?showtopic=10467

--Gwaihir

Illiana Wolfsong & Vlad

ImmortalGrace & Degenero Angelus

Gwaihir & Vlad

WrenWind & Vlad

Edited by Vlad

• 2 weeks later...