The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

Dropping in to say hello...

Erm, well I had this grand entrance planned... guess I just spoiled it, huh?

*Dusts self off* If the re-entry angle had been just slightly better.... ah, well never mind. Lesson learned.

Well, I'm new around here so I thought I should say hello to everyone :) I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, I'm sure I will enjoy my stay here.

*waves*

An oil portrait speaks from the wall:

"Well hello there! All newcomers are welcome, of course. Feel free to look around, we have many exciting things to participate in, should one wish."

"If you like what you see, there are even grander role play and community possibilities for members. You become a member by writing up a short piece as application and posting it in the recruiter's office, to be scrutinized by our Elder of Innitiates, Wyvern."

"Hope you enjoy your stay!" :)

It's another busy day at Scarlett's Burger Lounge. The thudding pulse of bass from the juke-box has the customers merrily tapping a claw as they wait patiently for the owner to flip a McHarpy Whopper their way. The gentle rhythm of Scarlett's compact opening and closing punctuates the yelps from her clients as they compete to seize the next charred lump of meat she hurls out of the pan. Scarlett eyes their balletic leaps to capture the McHarpies between two be-pickled bun halves with ill-concealed amusement - and counts the cash.

Just as she's wheedling another sizzling mound out of the frying pan, Harpy's knocked flying by a thunderous explosion which catapults her upwards and backwards with alarming force. Picking herself up with an anger so palapable it could ignite ice-cubes, she stalks out of the kitchen, deftly reapplying lipstick with her left and yanking up a cleaver with her right.

Two paces outside of what was formerly Scarlett's Burger Lounge, she spies a stranger dusting himself off and looking around cheerfully. Apoplectic with rage and hopping madly, Harpy gestures soundlessly to her crumbling business premises and her chipped nail polish.

'Ah hello there' calls the stranger, 'I'm Ethics.'

Scarlett draws herself up to her full height and charges forward brandishing her weapon.

'I'm Scarlett' she yodels like a battle-cry, 'And Ethics never stopped me doing anything!'

OOC - Welcome, welcome, welcome! Don't mind my silliness, it's almost time for Harpy's medication, in any case! It's a lot of fun around here, enjoy yourself! :D

*waves and smiles*

'Scarlet? Well, you do look a little flushed, but I would rather say something close to orange actually.'

Ethics calmly studies Scarlett as she rushes towards him, and adds 'With stripes like a tiger of course, I really like those by the way!'

Scarlett's advance is halted as she stops to look herself up and down, the cleaver forgotten in one hand.

'Yes, I'm quite pleased with those myself, actually' she says with an approving smile. 'Oh, and Scarlett is my name, not my skin colour!'

Edited by Ethics Gradient

I don't. :blush:

But then, I never bothered to visit the UBB, so that should come as little surprise... =D

Welcome, Ethics... Like others have said before me, it's always good to see more writerly-minded faces at the Pen. Good to have you here.

Wyvern dashes into the Cabaret Room upon hearing both that Ethics Gradient has arrived and that 'Harpy Royals w/ Cheese' are going for free at Scarlette's former Burger Lounge in the hostess' absence. Quickly grabbing a pack of studded heel-shaped fries from the burger joint, Wyvern turns to Ethic and exclaims:

"Greetings, Ethics Gradient, and welcome to the Mighty Pen... the very home of ethics!"

Having said this, Wyvern belches an enormous jet of flames to the sky and wipes his mouth off using someone else's tunic. Upon hearing the name Mindspawn, Wyvern brightens up even more and exclaims:

"Mindspawn?! The same genious that initiated the cult of Cryllianism and played a major role as it's high priest?! Excellent!"

With that, Wyvern exchanges Sorority Organ Busters (S.o.B.) handshakes with Mindspawn and quickly dashes to get more free Harpy Burgers while they last.... Mmmm... scarlett broiled...

*Waves to Wyvie, huggles Ethicspawn and points again to the Recruitment Office :P*

Cerulean was spending a peaceful late afternoon in her garden. The spring air lapped softly across her face as she gazed dreamily at the heavens, sky-watching as usual.

A small speck of a dot flitted into her peripheral vision. She blinked and followed it as it grew larger and closer. It wasn't a bird or a plane. It wasn't a firefly, nor was it a stray sunbeam grown tired of its earth-warming trials. In fact, it looked rather like a human figure enclosed within what could best be described as a contraption.

Standing up quickly, she cupped a hand over her face to shield against the dancing light. Yes it was definitely a man, a hurtling man - to be exact. There was a metallic frame, her mind registered the glinting reflections. There was some form of pipe outlet, which looked rather like part of a primitive fuel-drainage system. She stared harder. Yes and was that a bicycle wheel fixed with a copper bolt to an ostrich plume?

Inside the mechanical wonder, wearing a flimsy harness and an expression of concentrated optimism, stood a map-rotating figure.

It could only be...

Cerulean gulped.

Having gulped once or twice more for good luck (and dramatic effect) Cerulean raised a forefinger and thumb until they panned over her estimated trajectory for the parachuting Ethics. She stared at where she imagined he and earth would introduce themselves. Were it not for fear of gilding the gulp-lily, the woman would have done it again. She studied Ethics and his gradient. She studied the position of Scarlett's Burger Lounge. She added two and two together.

*CRASH*

When the dust had settled, Cerulean was left with a dry tickly cough and a sense of foreboding. She smoothed her thoughts into soothing patterns, caressing each one into a position of reception. It had been a very long time, but she had been a learned Phantasm Mage after all. A simple scry was all she needed here.

The first energy-pulse was haphazard. It thrummed from her mind like a bird in flight, looping and wheeling in random directions. She focused harder. Cerulean drew from the sky, from the breeze, from the flutters of energy dazzling her senses. She pulled in, weaving and lacing each beat into a knot of magical light. As she exhaled, she simultaneously released the spell. A

soft mental click heralded success. A driving bolt of power darted towards her targets and she opened her mind gingerly to receive information from the enchantment.

There had been a violent explosion. A building had crumbled. Three ogres were limping away from Scarlett's premises with blood on their faces. Or was it ketchup? Cerulean manipulated the spell to effect a zoom. She encouraged the scry to trickle into the ogres' thoughts, but couldn't manage a repeatable translation even with the aid of a willing babel-fish and a decent online bi-lingual dictionary.

Sighing, she scried West.

The scry jolted and lurched within Cerulean's head. She gasped and almost lost her footing. Steadying herself, she pushed outward once again. It was crimson and it was fiery. It sizzled hotter than a salamander at a chilli-fest. Curses crackled darkly and a female hand curled around a gleaming weapon.

It could only be...

Cerulean blanched.

Hurriedly, she swung East, permitting the scry to develop. It magnified and locked, following the path of the vituperative Scarlett.

The scry settled over a gentle, puzzled being. Ethics was jotting figures onto a creased pad, happily unaware of a singed lapel and a fast-approaching nightmare.

Cerulean sucked in her cheeks and shook her head free of the magic. Pulling a shawl around her shoulders against the afternoon chill, she ran lightly down the terrace steps, towards the scene of the anticipated crime.

'Please let me be in time, please let it not be too late...'

Cerulean stopped so abruptly she spun on her heels.

A simpering Scarlett was discussing her tiger-striped outfit with an amicable Ethics. Cerulean looked at the erstwhile inventor in disbelief. How on earth had he calmed her? She watched her friend wiggle, giggle and repair her hair in one practiced motion. Harpy was still holding her cleaver, but its purpose was all but forgotten.

Behind the two chatting figures, a cartoon tip-toe caught her attention. Was that an almost-dragonic snigger she could hear. Was that scaly-ne'er-do-well up to his tricks again?

Cerulean stepped warily up to her girlfriend.

'I think, my dear, you'd be wise to investigate the Burger Lounge. Perhaps the day's takings weren't locked away yet? Or the food out of reach of thieving fingers?'

'Bugger off', hissed Harpy. Have you seen the size of those muscles?'

'But I really feel that your business is susceptible right now. The Lounge stands in ruins... why just anybody could be dashing in there and making away with your secret recipe.'

Harpy's brain switches into overdrive. On the one hand she has the undivided attention of this handsome inventor fellow. On the other...

Ethics Gradient and Cerulean watch quietly, as Scarlett races as fast as her spiked heels will allow her towards the Lounge's Vault. Her copper hair fans out behind her like a glorious sunset, and her crimson micro-uniform jiggles under the pressure of her sprinting assets. Suddenly a piercing shriek cuts through the afternoon as Harpy spies a cackling Wyvern.

Wyvern is fluttering a piece of paper and poking his tongue out at Harpy, whilst galloping away from the Burger Lounge. Scarlett gnashes her teeth and swerves away from her restaurant to pursue him.

'Gimmee back my recipe, you filching, thieving, geld-grubbing gargoyle'

Scarlett increases the pace, but fears that she's not gaining any ground. Glancing left and right, she takes mental note of a short-cut through a small field. If she can hurdle the gate in this outfit, negotiate the fence on the other side, and take the rough path back to the main road, she'll come out ahead of Wyvern, thereby cutting off his escape.

Cerulean and Ethics follow the activity with amusement. Ethics focuses on the limping ogres who will meet Wyvern as he corners the next bend.

'I wouldn't like to look anything like a Burger Entrepreneur, judging by their expressions', he whispers. They both gaze soundlessly at Wyvie's plunder.

Indeed, the ogres do not appear to be happy creatures. One is clutching his stomach and wincing. One is muttering McExpletives, while the third is merely bent on extreme and mindless brutality.

Cerulean, however, seems more taken with the soft snorting sounds coming from the stall in the corner of the field. She looks at Harpy, who is even now traversing the fence - a snapshot of crimson - she next turns her gaze to the bull emerging from the stall...

'Well this should certainly be interesting'.

Edited by Cerulean

*Huggles Cery back and flashes big smiles at the familiar faces of Peredhil and Wyvern, as well as the friendly but unfamiliar ones* And yes, I've been to the recruitment office now :) It's great to be here, you've all made me feel really welcome.

Suddenly noticing Scarlett's situation as she struggles to climb over the gate, completely unaware of the impending danger from the annoyed bull, Ethics rushes over to save her and her tiger-striped overshirt, which she apparently took the time to remove before starting her climb. It is now hanging neatly folded over the top of the fence.

As Scarlett drops down on the inside of the gate and starts to run across the field, Ethics quickly climbs over, grabbing the tiger shirt in the process and sets off straight for the bull stall, waving the shirt over his head and shouting in an attempt to distract the bull. His elation when the bull turns to face him instead quickly fades as he realises that his plan doesn't really cover what to do with the bull now...

Scarlett grinned at Ethics' gesture.

Did he think a bull could wrest her

from her task? He didn't know it -

she was armed and primed to throw it...

Through the air her cleaver whistled,

Ethics froze and the bull bristled,

just as it advanced, horns gleaming -

blade struck meat and bull stopped dreaming!

Harpy hopped with manic fever,

licked the bloodstains off her cleaver.

Ethics turned away, disheartened,

as the beast was sliced apart and

gobbled up - a frenzied floor show -

first the hooves and next the torso.

Scarlett beamed, proud of her cull,

announcing 'Now I'm full of bull'. :P

Wow, what a response ^_^ Welcome to the pen, Ethics Gradient, and have lots of fun.

Ethics Gradient...like as in a shifting from one ethic to another or from no ethics to lots of ethics? I'm a graphic artist, I like gradients a lot ^_^

*ish a photoshop freak*

Interesting question, Falcon2001 :) Since the gradient of a function at a particular point is a vector pointing in the direction in which that function increases the most I suppose both interpretations can be valid.

It will depend on your definition of your function, the 'ethics field' in this case. Personally I think about it as the direction in which ethics increase the most, so I guess a shifting from less ethical towards more ethical would be closest. Or from a lower, towards a higher standard of ethics if you will :)

For more information about gradients, go here - if you have an interest in math, anyway :)

You know something Mr Gradient. I'd have been well impressed had I written something like that in my first language, let alone my second! You Swedes aren't just troll-songs, elks and midnight-sun worshippers are ya? Noooo - you have to be genuinely nice people and fluent in English too eh? Where will it end hmmm? You'll be inventing the Nobel Prize next I'll wager. :P

Now as for me, I'd classify myself as a Polyclot - incompetent in several languages! :D

Enough of the prattle and on with the post.

Cerulean studies Scarlett,

she's half cannibal, half harlot.

Peeping through her fingers, wincing,

Cery sees the ground-beef-mincing.

'Well at least she's making progress,

Usually she's like an ogress -

last time something bit the dust and

got devoured, it was her husband!'

Carbone and Cambronne chase each other neaby the passaway to the Manor of Tongue. When the shy Carbone sees the newcomer, she turns back to the Manor and runs away. The curious Cambronne stops the game and walks forward toward Ethics, then he starts to sniff and rub his sides on the new guest's leg in a so insisting way that the large cat wont let any steps an easy one. Celes grabs the black feline and cuddles it.

- It seems that you've already been warmly greated by Cambronne. I'm Celes and I'm glad to welcome you. Don't hesitate to drop by the Manor of Tongue.

(Tzimfemme follows the arc of Ethic's re-entry with her special recording/magnifying/cross-referencing/self-speculating binoculars.)

Another fine product of Ogg and Yog Siege Good!, I see. . .

(Holding the binoculars up still, letting them record the collision, she glances around quickly for stray Rogs. None, sadly. . .)