The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

A sensible request

Nyyark

I have foreseen a problem to which I've foreseen a soloution.

The Pen is Mightier then the Sword(or PIMS for the duration of this post) was origionally and Archmage(or AM) guild. As a consequence, PIMS began with a primarily AM culture. Thus AM was ingrained into PIMS. Now that a period of time has passed, PIMS has grown with new non-AM oriented Members. These members are most likely thrown off by AM references. Even worse, the old members posting quantity has died down, and when one wants to post more, any AM reference will make that member quite avoided by the newer members. So as a soloution I propose a contest of sorts. Would the old AM players please post what AM was about, what acronyms and nick names there were (from UBB to nix, which incidentally, I found out just the day what nix stood for), as well as certain must know names. In the end, PIMS should have a nice compellation, with a Table of Contents, perhaps an index too. This could be posted in the Walls of PIMS by the Elder of lists. Is this reasonable? (I can't help only having played AM for 2 weeks ) please put any suggestions in the critics corner, so the thread doesn't get to cluttered. Only post acctual information here. Thank you.

SENSIBLE???

IT'S AWFUL

j/k

Actually it makes sense, but I don't know that I want to compile such a list. Maybe we can all post here to make such a list?

----------

I want to be page 93 of Pineapples, the Avian Crows-Nyyark

Hmmm...

Perhaps one of the easiest ways to put together such a list would be to cut and paste from one of the many AM intro sites, and then wack it down to size. After that, editing it to fit our purpose overall would be a snap.

Oooooh, you just gave me a heck of an idea for the thread about the forgotten levels of the 'Rooms of the Mighty Pen Keep'...

I'll be thinking about that.

~Zool~

Ancient, The Pen is Mightier than the Sword.

Bard of Terra, Patron Saint of Aspiring Bards.

Elder than dirt, more foolish than a jester, able to trip over the smallest logic in a single step. It's... Oh, you know.

Note: not that sensible a response, but I couldn't resist... ;p

1) Archmage: A sorcerer who takes a particular fondness in using visual spells that take the formation of massive archs. A few examples of some commonly used spells would be the Grand Artic Arch, the Infernal Arch of Chaos, the Divine Arch of Holy Retribution, and the Arch of Lonliness (for the Nether magics).

2) Colors of Magic: the colors which magic takes when it's casted. Like I really had to tell you that... ;p

3) Ascendency: A kind of magic which specializes in spells that ascend on their opponents, propelling them upwards. Examples of spells in this genre would include "Raise Earth", "Gust of Wind Upwards", and the incredibly potent "Enormous Geyser of Water out of Nowhere" spell.

4) Phantasm: A kind of magic that is used to communicate with the ghosts of an opponent's relatives, sympathizing with them and causing them to change their will in your favor. "Summon Casper" remains a personal favorite...

5) Nether: this kind of magic is actually a typo on the behalf of MARI (they make lots of those)... it should read 'Never' magic. It is called Never magic as it doesn't relly on spells, but rather large maces and clubs. No wonder Nevers dominate the top ten... ;p

6) Eradication: Pronounced 'Era Dictation' (a silent 't'). A feared type of magic that relies upon a combination of calculus and history to slowly drive it's enemies insane...

7) Verdancy: Pronounced 'Where Dancing?" (with a foreign accent). A type of magic that simultaneously closes all night clubs on command, and leaves mages to die of boredom on Saturday nights...

8.) Stacks: refers to stacks of money (in this case geld), of course.

9) Guilds: Abbreviation for 'Guilders', a currency of the Netherlands.

10) C.O.S: Corny Old Song

11) R.D: Rooster Den

12) Nixes: nothings

13) Magewar: Another mispelling by MARI, it should read 'Mage Wear'. Yet another shameless advertising gimmick... tsk... ;p

14) MARI: Martyrs Are Really Insistant

15) Multimager: Abbreviation for 'a mage that is molting'. What? You thought that all that casting of magic wouldn't give any disadvantages to the poor fellows...?

Hope this helps (or at least provides a laugh ). I've left off many things, so others can feel free to continue the listing...

------------------------------

Almost a Dragon...

"My life is one big crime, I try to scheme through it." -Common, "The 6th Sense"

Owner of the Decanter of Endless Booze.

Peredhil has a good laugh at Wyvern's parody of Archmage.

For the non-Archmage community out there - what was parodied.

1) Archmage: A formerly free on-line turn-based fantasy war-game. Players took the part of a mage specializing in one of five different 'colors' of magic. Drew heavily on Microprose Master of Magic, Wizard of the Coast's Magic:The Gathering card game, and a number of fantasy novels and Role Playing Games.

The Archmage player juggled limited resources to gather land, recruit or magically summon armies of fantasy creatures, store up geld (gold coins), and mana (magical energy necessary for casting spells.

For some odd reason, this very flawed game attracted a number of the intelligent and creativity of the world, who met through the small text "War Arrow" which could be sent with each attack, through posting on the Universal Bulletin Boards (UBB), and through internet chat programs such as IRC and ICQ. The game allowed for friends and like-minded people to form Guilds.

Although a war-game, an Archmage culture grew up within to make the game more 'fair', and many many posts were written defending varying points of view. Diplomacy, and therefore the ability to write creatively and well outside the game, became nearly as important as the ability to manage resources in the game.

2) Colors of Magic: Ascendent (White) - Angels, Healing, 'Good' spiritual magic.

Nether (Black) - Undead, decay, 'Evil' spiritual magic.

Verdant (Green) - Nature-based Druidic theme, Flora and Fauna, creature intensive

Eradication (Red) - Fire-based, Dragons, direct-damage spells.

Phantasm (Blue) - Water/Psychic based magic. Noted for high-spell level and the ability to use difficult spells from all the other colors.

8.) Stacks/stacking: All units formed armies. depending on abilities, primary attacking type, the power of the attack, and the number of units in an army, armies would be given a numerical value of inate worth. Thus a creature with a melee attack with the Flying ability would normally have a greater value than a comparable unit without Flying.

Each Army had it's own total value, so 10 Dragons would have a much different value than 10 Faerie Dragons. A mage could normally use 10 Armies in a combat.

Stacking is summoning/recruiting or disbanding(firing from the job) individual units in armies so that all the armies would enter combat in a specified order. This was important because game mechanic resolved the fight in a fixed manner, biggest valued flying vs flying, biggest valued non-flying vs

non-flying, 2nd biggest vs 2nd biggest, all the way to the Ranged attackers (Archers, Magic Users) who attacked Flyers. By juggling the values of your Armies (also called stacks) so that their order (stacking) was to your preference, you could match up your strengths against the enemy mage's weaknesses.

9) Guilds: groups of Mages who ganged up for Role-Playing, mutual defense or offense, and/or friendship.

10) C.O.S: Contract of the Soul. A very deadly Nether spell which often killed the mage casting it. It provided ultimate defense/revenge for the caster however, as it was the only way to summon thousands of Devil units during a combat. These Devils normally destroyed the top (most powerful and expensive) armies(stacks) of the attacking mage.

11) R.D: Red Dragon. The Ultimate (most powerful) Eradication Unit. Very expensive cost in geld and mana, even ate people too. But resistent to nearly all spells, and had a huge firey attack.

12) Nixes: Short for Phoenixes, the Verdant Mage's Ultimate Unit. Not nearly as strong as a Red Dragon, one out of every five would regenerate after the combat, plus they immolated the first melee (hand-to-hand) army to attack them.

13) Magewar: Another name for the game Archmage.

14) MARI: the Korean-based company that owns and operates the game Archmage.

15) Multimager: The game rules allowed each player to only have one mage. Some people sought an advantage by creating and playing more than one mage. Yes, this was cheating, but the perception of how 'bad' multimaging is tells much about the person and how they perceive and relate to rules and authority.

16) Descent of Holy Being: An Ultimate spell for Ascendant mages used to summon their high-end unit, the Dominion. Not knowing what the DoHB spell did, or asking for help on how to summon Dominions was the sign of a 'Newbie' and often viciously attacked by those either jaded or fresh out of Newbie status themself.

17) AAs - Arch Angels. A Complex unit available to Ascendants, Verdants, and Phantasm Magi noted for it's ability to absorb damage. Fairly good resistances, Flying, good Hit Points and its Healing ability all lent themselves for making this a nice defensive unit.

Wyv, of all the arches, you forgot the most important ones- The Golden Arches!

(The Golden Arches are where all the Arch Mages go after a long day of summoning to relax and get some quarter-decent "food". Golden Arches cost very little mana to summon, and generate a generous geld income for your kingdom. Beware of clowns, burglars, and other various spawns of the pits. Over one billion served!)

Sorry, that was the best I could come up with. :P

Game Community Notes:

(a.k.a. what Archmage topics will most likely be brought up)

Guilds

Alliances of players formed by word of mouth (e-mail, messaging available in the game, and the Archmage Bulletin Board) and run not unlike small armies. Specific guild goals, rules, styles, etc. vary wildly, but most are run/behave according to *their* opinion of the best way to kill opponents and have fun while doing it. Most are. Some are only run to kill more efficiently, sadly.

Positions

Moderator- A bulletin board patrolman who is usually one of several people who make sure their particular Archmage bulletin board is used properly. They enforce player conduct rules for posting and generally (since the game's player community is so huge) have to be very hard line about discipline.

Guest ArawnD

Then you're not doing it right.

Let's see what else can be added to the list of terms.

Doms - This is short for Dominion, the afore mentioned ultimate unit of White/ascendant mages.

Bard - Most of posters here have gained that title. The Archmage boards were filled with arguements and debates on honor, loyalty, religion, superiority, inferiority, etc, but a brave few brought stories and poems to enrich the postings. After a while these couragous souls gained the title of Bard of Terra. I forget the first of such bards but I'm sure someone remembers.

Wyvern - a concieted, money hungry almost dragon that will stoop to any level (and lower) to get you hard earned geld.

The Mad King

Guest Minta Rose

RE: Wyvern #6: Calculus for the Masses! always DID suffer a preponderance of red mages.

The Lists of Terra folder on this board provide a good sideline of memorable mages, as does the thread from the Ager Guilded Union of Honor board (Ager Guilded server, UoH was a guild recruitment board, the thread went off-topic)--I ought to archive that.

Been scratching my head over a list of memorable female mages--will post later.

Lists are in The Walls of the Pen - Peredhil

Deviler - A black mage that uses devils as his primary attack force. He pisses people off, then casts CoS and then waits for them to attack so he can grab counters galore and severely piss off people. Recently this has been toned down a LOT, so Devilers are starting to dissapear.

Multi - A multimage, or a person with more than one account on a server.

Multi Guild - A guild with X amount of members and some twice that in mages, due to the rampant multi'ing. Classic examples of this are Greek Sentinels and (As far as I know) RWoT.

The Hunters - A short-lived, but powerful, coalition devoted entirely to the killing of multimages. Mages from many many different guilds joined, all seeking to destroy all multis. The primary assignment was Greek Sentinels, and we eventually crushed them into little bitty bits. (Shows off his Hunter Council badge proudly) I got 6 kills on that one, myself...heh heh heh. Eventually the coalition fell apart, however, and now it is little more than a good memory.

Noob - also known as ||00|3, to those with leet skeelz, these are newbies, or people that are new at the game. Easy pickings when they reach high rankings due to army.

Smacked down - commonly used among me and my friends as meaning getting whacked and dropping 1,000+ ranks instantaniously.

Going Down - Another term used by me and my friends, this refers to when you oversummon population eating units and then you can't disband them, so they knock you down to 0 population.

Cioden Darkeye

Quill-Bearer - The Pen is Mightier than the Sword

President of the Peredhil Fan Club

Owner of the Reply Raven - Enemy to all those who never post responses

Ashaman - WoT - Blitz II

Council - The Hunters - Blitz II

Leisure Officer - SFV Ultima - Beta

• 1 year later...

Geld: Geld is the currency of the world of Terra where the epical battles of archmage takes place. A geld is a usually a gold coin with the containment of 99.99% gold. It weights 1 kartz. Many different places have different shape, size, stamping of geld from crudely bits and pieces of untampered rocks to elogant crafted circilar stampings with elogant design to little gold leaflets carved in the shape of leaves.

It was noted however that there is constant inflation in the Terra despite the rarity of gold in the land of Terra. This is mostly blamed on the archmages due to their specific method of "gelding". See Gelding

Gelding: a specific command of archmage to raise their geld revenue in a short period of time. While there is supposely a strict amount of geld in current circulation many mages have bypassed that to such an effect that inflation averages about 1791.35% per day, or an average of 13% per turn. Inflation has been caused by mages's bidding war for resources in the black market hense increases the prices of goods dramatically. The problem of inflation is that it caused an uneven distribution of wealth as archmags collect more geld, making price of good rises while the average peasant makes around the same amount of geld. This will cause a decrease in the peasant's purchasing power as their pay could buy less and less of the good in markets, where sellers continue to raise their price.

The different methods of gelding: :wizzie:

Usually mages collect only taxes on their peasant's income to substain their kingdom. However when presseed into raising their income, archmages resoure to the more evil practices of gelding. Perhaps the most basic yet mystical method of gelding is the Phantasmal mages's alchemy skills. Using their evil magic, diciples of the Phantasmal magic mell together useless scrap of metal, rearrange their atomic structures to compress into a tighter bond changing basic metallic into a more dense complex stucture... or gold.

While the nether's mages method of gelding is less effective, it is notorius due to its brutality. Nether magic requires a lot of huamn sacrifice to substain its power, and while the nether's mage's troops cries "bring out yer dead" they also looted their possession as well. Like Mafia, underlings of the nether mages lend out their geld at a high interest rate, and then forcing the victim to pay up with interest. It is noted that even if the victim managed to paid up his wife and daughter will still end up being sold to the harem or become street prostitutes, his sons as slaves and himself as another zombie in their numberless legions of the undead.

Eradication Mage's also employ the mafia's methods of geld making, but another one of their well known methods is to use of their magic to stur up the earth. As a result huge geographical disbalance arise in any land that happened to have an eradication mage in reign. The air is always fulled with sulphur and the earth is constantly covered with ashes. A volcano eruption often spill up enought gold substances to be refined later into geld or otherwise sought after minerals. Any debtor's happened to be in the path of the burning lava is counted as a plus.

Finally the most ingenious and cruel method of gelding is from the hands of the acendancy mages: Unlike other archmages, the acendancy method of gelding is not magical at all. Acendancy mages often build up their image as a goodie goodie trustie guardian of the land and then establish for themselves a banking institute. Millions of the guileless pesants deposit their cash into supposely safe hands. Even at a plus, acendancy mages turn out and give their client interest on their deposits. However since not every peasant will withdraw all their geld at once, acendnacy mages often draw geld out of their bank and use it as their own. Worst, the acendancy mages turn around and lend to the same ppl at a higher interest, and the econoy turn around... the loaner purchase their good with their loan, and geez where do their sellers put their geld? right back into the bank for the acedancy mage to loan out again at an overchange interest rate. Geld seems to come out of nowhere in an acedancy mage's books, and acendnacy mages are opprobrious for their moral-less gelding method.

I dont have webspace, but I'll try to annotate with pictures from my guild website

Everquest Text Refference Dictionary

(Excludes zone and monster name accronyms, as well as standard l33t speak)

In no particular order. . .

Pull-- The act of bringing a mob to a party

Add-- One additional unplanned mob pulled to a group.

Adds-- More than one additional unplanned mob pulled to group

Ranger Pull-- The planned act of bringing multiple mobs to a group. Only to be attempted by experienced rangers.

Train-- Any reasonable number of additional unplanned mobs that would wipe a group or raid. Trains are rated according to this guide

Wipe-- everyone diedsee here

Partial wipe-- Almost everyone died

Ogre wall--ogre wall

DT-- Death Touch

prekunark-- Longtime player who thinks it's a bragging right.

Rez-- Ressurection

Rez Plz-- no

OTM-- On the Move

LFG-- Looking for Group

LFA-- Looking for Adventure (Lost Dungeons of Norrath only)

TL-- Translocate

BO-- Burnout. Magician pet special ability

Can't think of anything else right now. . .will add if I think of something. Or another EQ'er will :D